Opening an account in thailand while a tourist?

Marie

Hi there!

I am planning to stay in Thailand for a while (as a tourist) and Is there a way to open a bank savings and check account in Thailand without a work permit? (I even do not ask the question for a Thai credit card ... :o

Like taking on the account of someone wishing to close his one...

But still abiding by the law of course...

Thanks a bunch!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not necessary to have a work permit in order to open a bank account.  Even just a tourist visa will suffice.  I have successfully opened two bank accounts on a tourist visa, with Bangkok Bank.  One was at the Bangkok Airport branch, the other was in Chiangmai.  Definitely opening the one in Chiangmai was much more difficult, with more questions, though already having an account helped a lot.  Opening the one at the airport was easy -- no questions asked.  Seems the staff at the airport branch know the rules and regulations better.

Chuck

• 2 months later...

I managed to get the wife to get me an internet a/c at bank Krung Threp and I only  ever had a tourist visa.

Just ask they can only say NO..go away bad farang...or OK. :o

Hi There,

I  was in thailand last month on holiday.   Walked into a branch of the Bangkok Bank and asked if I could open a bank account with them.     Immediately they said yes, looked at my passport and asked for my address in Thailand. I deposited 5000 Baht and got an ATM card which you must use at a Bangkok Bank ATM in Thailand otherwise you cannot use it outside Thailand.

IF you turned down by one bank just try the others

Good luck

3 years ago, Thailand enacted a new rule that a foreigner cannot open an account without showing a work visa. Since all the banks hated this new law and found a way to "skirt the system", this law was repealed and declared null. Today, you should have no problem opening an account. I think the most uptight bank will be the largest bank in the world, CITIBANK of USA. Also, Hong Kong Shanghai Bank (HSBC) used to be strict but not anymore.

Stick with the Thai banks. They are slow and inefficient and remind me of USA banks in the 1960s but they really want your money and wont have a problem with you opening an account.