Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

I just ate the lunch special (175 bhat) at Goose's (2nd Rd) and it really was good.

I concur. Goose's is way better than any F&C place in the Kingdom and as good as many overseas. I was just telling a friend who spends a lot of time in Pattaya about it this morning. :thumbsup:

Oh my! Now that is BOLD statement. I'll go try this place ASAP now, but I'll write a proper review of it so if you're telling whoppers the membership will soon know.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goose's - where exactly is that, is it between Soi's 7 & 8, the old Symphony restaurant?

Bigjimmy

thats the place Jimmy, it was Symphony when Hugh had it and before that it was Mata Hari when Louis was there

showing my age now.........

Is Hugh still around, we actually had dinner at Symphonies the very last night they were open and I remember Hugh saying that he was involved with a restaurant in The Jomtien complex, do you know where and is the food still just as good?

Thanks

Jimmy

Goose's - where exactly is that, is it between Soi's 7 & 8, the old Symphony restaurant?

Bigjimmy

thats the place Jimmy, it was Symphony when Hugh had it and before that it was Mata Hari when Louis was there

showing my age now.........

Is Hugh still around, we actually had dinner at Symphonies the very last night they were open and I remember Hugh saying that he was involved with a restaurant in The Jomtien complex, do you know where and is the food still just as good?

Thanks

Jimmy

yes he is

he went to Poseidon as manager for pascal

he has been left there for some time

you can contact him through baansouyresort dot com

i hope that helps

The Jolly Friar had good Battered Dory, but the tasty but enormous Beefeater chips put me off from going there again. Is the chef too lazy to cut a potato into more then 4 pieces lengthwise?

As a follow-up, I went to the Village Chippy last night. I thought the fish (Dory) was slightly inferior to that of Jolly Friar. I ordered the large portion and was very disappointed to see maybe 8-10 Chips in the container, they were fortunately not the Beefeater size as mentioned above but were still a smaller (50%) version of Friar's Beefeater. The taste was OK, not great, I had a feeling they were frozen.

Are there no chippy's out there that do a standard size, hand cut chip from fresh potatoes, well-seasoned and cooked to perfection?

Fish & Chips Review #3:

Goose's Fish & Chips (2'nd road)

I excitedly wanted to review this place after a poster said that their F&C were better than anything on offer in the UK, and as expected that was an exaggeration but it was still worth the visit.

What I ordered:

Large Dory & Chips w. mushy peas & B&B

Onion Rings

- For Fish & Chips the order took a surprisingly long time to be served (10 minutes), but it was 20 minutes to closing so perhaps they had prematurely turned off the fryer.

- The chips were about average for what you would get in the UK, fresh & tasty, thus excellent by Thai standards, however the portion size was typically Thai, a small handful of chips not unlike the other chippy's I've been to, at least they were normal sized chips and not the ugly Beefeater style I've been previously exposed to over here.

- The Dory was great and the batter was tasty and crispy, however the portion size (fish, excluding batter) seemed 30% smaller then the other Chippy's I've been to in Pattaya in that he fish was sliced thinner, thus the fish to batter ratio was poor (50% fish, 50% batter). In the other Chippy's the fillet was a thicker cut so the ratio was perhaps 60% fish, 40% batter.

- I cannot comment on mushy peas since I have no expertise on that, I just made a mushy pea sandwich with the fresh thick slice of bread.

- The onion rings were not good, perhaps 10% onion and 90% batter, and were all clumped together (improper care in cooking), looked like an enormous onion bhagi. Dousing them in malt vinegar did not help. FAIL

Verdict:

Best so far if you stick to the Fish & Chips. I'll explore the other fish options on my next visit.

Rankings:

1. Goose's (Chips win by far!, Good Fish)

2. Jolly Friar (Good Fish, poor chips)

3. Village Chippy (OK Fish, poor chips)

More to Come!

I excitedly wanted to review this place after a poster said that their F&C were better than anything on offer in the UK

Goose's is way better than any F&C place in the Kingdom and as good as many overseas. :thumbsup:

Now who is "exaggerating'? :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I excitedly wanted to review this place after a poster said that their F&C were better than anything on offer in the UK

Goose's is way better than any F&C place in the Kingdom and as good as many overseas. :thumbsup:

Now who is "exaggerating'? :whistling:

looks like he is getting his Kingdoms mixed up.......

• 2 weeks later...

Jolly Friar is open for business in Jomtien! It is by KR Bar or KB bar, not too far from the police booth walking towards the Hanuman statue. Big Fish and Chips sign on the road. I really like Gooses but I will definitely try this place.

Has it got the Jolly Friar sign? there is an excellent place called Simons in that area, fresh cut chips and medium size Haddock B275

Neeroys are fresh cut spuds and the fish isn't bad either, if only they knew how to finish off chips properly, I have a deep fat fryer at home and always give them a finishing in very hot oil - nice and crispy

The worst fish & chips I have had in Thailand was at Neeroys. The batter was inedible - a soggy mass.

Neeroys are fresh cut spuds and the fish isn't bad either, if only they knew how to finish off chips properly, I have a deep fat fryer at home and always give them a finishing in very hot oil - nice and crispy

The worst fish & chips I have had in Thailand was at Neeroys. The batter was inedible - a soggy mass.

Careful now. The politic way to post a negative food review in Thailand would be more like,

it is a restaurant, there were tables and chairs, the waiter brought what I ordered, I tasted some of it, you could call it food, there were no visible rodents ...

Edited by Jingthing

Jolly Friar is open for business in Jomtien! It is by KR Bar or KB bar, not too far from the police booth walking towards the Hanuman statue. Big Fish and Chips sign on the road. I really like Gooses but I will definitely try this place.

Has it got the Jolly Friar sign? there is an excellent place called Simons in that area, fresh cut chips and medium size Haddock B275

Yes. And Yes. Now two on same side of the street.

The Jolly Friar had good Battered Dory, but the tasty but enormous Beefeater chips put me off from going there again. Is the chef too lazy to cut a potato into more then 4 pieces lengthwise?

As a follow-up, I went to the Village Chippy last night. I thought the fish (Dory) was slightly inferior to that of Jolly Friar. I ordered the large portion and was very disappointed to see maybe 8-10 Chips in the container, they were fortunately not the Beefeater size as mentioned above but were still a smaller (50%) version of Friar's Beefeater. The taste was OK, not great, I had a feeling they were frozen.

Are there no chippy's out there that do a standard size, hand cut chip from fresh potatoes, well-seasoned and cooked to perfection?

Fish & Chips Review #3:

I excitedly wanted to review this place after a poster said that their F&C were better than anything on offer in the UK, and as expected that was an exaggeration but it was still worth the visit.

What I ordered:

Onion Rings

- For Fish & Chips the order took a surprisingly long time to be served (10 minutes), but it was 20 minutes to closing so perhaps they had prematurely turned off the fryer.

- The chips were about average for what you would get in the UK, fresh & tasty, thus excellent by Thai standards, however the portion size was typically Thai, a small handful of chips not unlike the other chippy's I've been to, at least they were normal sized chips and not the ugly Beefeater style I've been previously exposed to over here.

- The Dory was great and the batter was tasty and crispy, however the portion size (fish, excluding batter) seemed 30% smaller then the other Chippy's I've been to in Pattaya in that he fish was sliced thinner, thus the fish to batter ratio was poor (50% fish, 50% batter). In the other Chippy's the fillet was a thicker cut so the ratio was perhaps 60% fish, 40% batter.

- I cannot comment on mushy peas since I have no expertise on that, I just made a mushy pea sandwich with the fresh thick slice of bread.

- The onion rings were not good, perhaps 10% onion and 90% batter, and were all clumped together (improper care in cooking), looked like an enormous onion bhagi. Dousing them in malt vinegar did not help. FAIL

Verdict:

Best so far if you stick to the Fish & Chips. I'll explore the other fish options on my next visit.

Rankings:

More to Come!

Follow-up Visit to Goose's Fish & Chips (2'nd road)

I will have to diminish my enthusiasm for the Fish & Chips here at Gooses, the Chips are great, best so far, but I am disappointed with the fish. The fish tastes great but the portion size for a large portion is more like the small or regular portions we get back home, so because of this I shall not be ordering Fish & Chips from here again, I will return for sure, but will try something else on the menu with the tasty chips. I cannot be bothered trying the small size portion of the fish, but if anyone else has please comment

Next Review: Pig & Whistle Pub

When I used to eat Fish and Chips, I did like Gooses but also found the fish portion smaller than expected. Everything was delicious though and portion size isn't everything.

You guys must have huge appetites or were living in a place that really serves huge pieces of fish! I have only had their lunch special (twice) and came away full. There were so many "chips" I could not eat them all. The fish piece seemed of good size to me. But I do not eat as much as I did when I was 18 and could eat half a buffalo by myself :) I am looking forward to trying Jolly Friar in Jomtien. Are the fish portions larger there? I saw one thing on the menu at Jolly Friar's that I have not seen anywhere except the USA: fried salmon patties (actually one for 75 baht I think).

I did not think the portion of fish was large or small, but I was not hungry when I finished, and to me, the fish at Goose's was so much better than other places that I was quite pleased with the deal

I make sure to eat there every time I am in Pattaya. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

So, Jolly Friar is between the new Sunrise Tacqueria and the old Simon's Fish and Chips?

Is Simon's still for sale, or is it already under new ownership?

Fish & Chips Review #3:

What I ordered:

Onion Rings

Verdict:

Rankings:

More to Come!

I will have to diminish my enthusiasm for the Fish & Chips here at Gooses, the Chips are great, best so far, but I am disappointed with the fish. The fish tastes great but the portion size for a large portion is more like the small or regular portions we get back home, so because of this I shall not be ordering Fish & Chips from here again, I will return for sure, but will try something else on the menu with the tasty chips. I cannot be bothered trying the small size portion of the fish, but if anyone else has please comment

Fish & Chips Review #4:

Pig & Whistle Pub (Soi 7)

What I ordered:

Fish & Chips w. mushy peas

Cheese & Onion Sarnie @ 90 Baht

Magners Cider

- The chips were not fresh cut, but at least were of standard chip size, average taste

- The Fish portion was enormous!!! 4 thick fillets (in pairs), definately 100% larger in portion size then that of Gooses, and the batter was tasty and crispy almost equaling that of Gooses = WIN!!!

- mushy peas tasted better than Gooses version

- Sarnie was OK after I re-assembled it to my liking: came as 2 sandwiches with large, thick slices of fresh bread bit I found the cheese filling fairly minimal compared to that of UK, thus I dumped the cheese contents of the 2nd sandwich into the first sandwich, thus making a double-filled single sandwich, Also, I did not like the sliced onion in the sandwich, I prefer it as a mince mixed with the cheese, thus I removed all the onion and minced it myself before putting it back into the sandwich. The result was an OK sarnie but I will not order again

- They have draft cider, any cider = WIN!!!

- ambiance is better here then in all other F&C joints I have visited COMBINED, for 1 hour I felt I was in a real UK pub = WIN!!!

Verdict:

Pity about the chips, but Best so far for Fish. Will return 100% in the future, perhaps Fish & Mash will take-off

Rankings:

1. Pig & Whistle (Fish win by far!, OK chips)

2. Goose's (Chips win by far!, Good Fish)

3. Jolly Friar (Good Fish, poor chips)

4. Village Chippy (OK Fish, poor chips)

Edited by jehricaholic

When I used to eat Fish and Chips, I did like Gooses but also found the fish portion smaller than expected. Everything was delicious though and portion size isn't everything.

You guys must have huge appetites or were living in a place that really serves huge pieces of fish! I have only had their lunch special (twice) and came away full. There were so many "chips" I could not eat them all. The fish piece seemed of good size to me. But I do not eat as much as I did when I was 18 and could eat half a buffalo by myself :) I am looking forward to trying Jolly Friar in Jomtien. Are the fish portions larger there? I saw one thing on the menu at Jolly Friar's that I have not seen anywhere except the USA: fried salmon patties (actually one for 75 baht I think).

I think we call your "Fried Salmon Patties" fishcakes in the UK and you can get them everywhere. When made at home use tinned Salmon and mashed potato for the filling and roll in breadcrumbs.

Fish & Chips Review #3:

What I ordered:

Onion Rings

Verdict:

Rankings:

More to Come!

Fish & Chips Review #4:

Pig & Whistle Pub (Soi 7)

What I ordered:

Fish & Chips w. mushy peas

Cheese & Onion Sarnie @ 90 Baht

Magners Cider

- The chips were not fresh cut, but at least were of standard chip size, average taste

- The Fish portion was enormous!!! 4 thick fillets (in pairs), definately 100% larger in portion size then that of Gooses, and the batter was tasty and crispy almost equaling that of Gooses = WIN!!!

- mushy peas tasted better than Gooses version

- Sarnie was OK after I re-assembled it to my liking: came as 2 sandwiches with large, thick slices of fresh bread bit I found the cheese filling fairly minimal compared to that of UK, thus I dumped the cheese contents of the 2nd sandwich into the first sandwich, thus making a double-filled single sandwich, Also, I did not like the sliced onion in the sandwich, I prefer it as a mince mixed with the cheese, thus I removed all the onion and minced it myself before putting it back into the sandwich. The result was an OK sarnie but I will not order again

- They have draft cider, any cider = WIN!!!

- ambiance is better here then in all other F&C joints I have visited COMBINED, for 1 hour I felt I was in a real UK pub = WIN!!!

Verdict:

Pity about the chips, but Best so far for Fish. Will return 100% in the future, perhaps Fish & Mash will take-off

Rankings:

2. Goose's (Chips win by far!, Good Fish)

3. Jolly Friar (Good Fish, poor chips)

4. Village Chippy (OK Fish, poor chips)

if you want draught beers including cider on draught then you need to go to Punch & Judy on Soi 17

in my opinion , its the best English type pub around here

food, service, beer selection and ambiance is excellent

i recall the fish & chips were ok too

i have to drive 15 kilometers to get there and never regret it..........

So, Jolly Friar is between the new Sunrise Tacqueria and the old Simon's Fish and Chips?

Is Simon's still for sale, or is it already under new ownership?

passed there a few days ago and the sign said under new management

if you want draught beers including cider on draught then you need to go to Punch & Judy on Soi 17

in my opinion , its the best English type pub around here

food, service, beer selection and ambiance is excellent

i recall the fish & chips were ok too

i have to drive 15 kilometers to get there and never regret it..........

It's a nice pub but parking is difficult and the fish batter was very greasy and hiding a thin fillet of fish when I had it.

Try Sea Fresh on the upside of Pratumnak Hill heading out of Pattaya towards Jomtien. It's on the left opposite SEAT boat shop.

Jingthing, could you give us your opinion on Pig and Whistle please?

I used to eat at the Pig in Pattaya a lot before the other places opened. About portion size, yes they serve probably the largest in town as default (it's one size). Sometimes it was one fillet, sometimes two, never got four and I reckon that was a fluke. The fish itself has a VERY THICK batter, on the hard side, on the too greasy side. The chips are just OK. I can see picking it on portion but think the competition beats it on flavor of fish. Decent tartar sauce though. They now have a location in Jomtien. Sad to say I think the Pattaya owner died this year so don't know how that might effect their operation.