Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

1. Pig & Whistle (Fish win by far!, OK chips)

Jingthing, could you give us your opinion on Pig and Whistle please?

I used to eat at the Pig in Pattaya a lot before the other places opened. About portion size, yes they serve probably the largest in town as default (it's one size). Sometimes it was one fillet, sometimes two, never got four and I reckon that was a fluke. The fish itself has a VERY THICK batter, on the hard side, on the too greasy side. The chips are just OK. I can see picking it on portion but think the competition beats it on flavor of fish. Decent tartar sauce though. They now have a location in Jomtien. Sad to say I think the Pattaya owner died this year so don't know how that might effect their operation.

Its affecting their Jomtien operation, looks like Jimmy White is no longer involved, his name is off the sign. Had a breakfast there the other day, the food was fine, except it was put on a stone cold plate, even though I had asked the waitress to make sure it was hot. They seem to have no one in charge.

I pass it often, never many customers, sometimes I am the only one in there.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the F&C at Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee.

The chips are home cut chunks of potato not those weedy things that come frozen, so they taste like fried potato and not fried crisp.

they cannot be called chips, more like hunks, perhaps too lazy to cut the potato into more than 4 peices Pig & Whistle better by far

I like the F&C at Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee.

The chips are home cut chunks of potato not those weedy things that come frozen, so they taste like fried potato and not fried crisp.

they cannot be called chips, more like hunks, perhaps too lazy to cut the potato into more than 4 peices Pig & Whistle better by far

its a matter of personal taste

i like the big chips at Jolly Friar

manufacturers of frozen chips like McCain offer many sizes and styles of chips and regardless of size they are still called chips even if you don't like them............

What a sad bunch we are,we live in one of the best places on earth with some of the best food and here we are 17 pages later talking about where are the best "chips"

Merry christmas all :D

sorry 18 pages later.

Edited by thaimate

IMO, there are a lot better cuisines in the world than Thai (such as Chinese, Japanese, French and Italian), but to each his own.

i agree. Thai food is generally OK with a few really good dishes. There is a lot of crap food as well and overdosing it with chilli is fine - but it doesn't make it a culinary delight.

When I walked past the other evening there was just one bloke eating in there.

I would be tempted to try it one day if they do the 99B special and if they have the loyalty cards. Dont think I would care to pay full price for anything in there.

We ate at the Eden Hotel last week, the fish and chips come from Caddy Shack next door. A HUGE piece of fish. Very good.

P.S. Eden Hotel's bar area will be closing soon to make room for some condos.

but how were the chips? Unless the fish is exceptional, a place with lousy chips I'd not return to

I ate there last week. Cod was OK. Large piece and well cooked with crispy batter. As for the chips...big "steak" chips which were soft and soggy. Not to my liking. I was asked if I wanted small, medium or large portion, and opted for medium. Small would have been enough. There is also the option of french fries instead of chips. As I like crispy, maybe that would have been the wiser choice. Nice pot of tea.

Thanks Bahtboy. I just went by Jolly Friars in Jomtien and there is a very large sign out front that says: Fish and Chips 100 baht! Maybe it is a special to get people to try the new location. I will try it in the future and report back.

I ate there last week. Cod was OK. Large piece and well cooked with crispy batter. As for the chips...big "steak" chips which were soft and soggy. Not to my liking. I was asked if I wanted small, medium or large portion, and opted for medium. Small would have been enough. There is also the option of french fries instead of chips. As I like crispy, maybe that would have been the wiser choice. Nice pot of tea.

Thanks Bahtboy. I just went by Jolly Friars in Jomtien and there is a very large sign out front that says: Fish and Chips 100 baht! Maybe it is a special to get people to try the new location. I will try it in the future and report back.

I like their local Dorey F&C's at their soi Diana location...big piece of tender white fish and thick cut fries...douse the fish in tartar sauce and malt vinegar and the chips in a mayo/ketchup dip and you have a hearty meal.

I just went by Jolly Friars in Jomtien and there is a very large sign out front that says: Fish and Chips 100 baht! Maybe it is a special to get people to try the new location.

The Soi Lengkee branch has this permanently, but I didnt notice it at Jomtien the day I walked past.

REMOVED

Hmm. Now I remember why I tend to avoid bars in Thailand; they are often run by unpleasant and illiterate clowns.

As for the loyalty card: the owners choose to offer one (including many of the F&C places) to attract regular custom, I don't make them do it. But if they want to offer one then I will take it.

Somehow I suspect that the notion of repeat business doesn't mean much to you.

Tried the new Jomtien Jolly Friar last week - Large Fish & Chips only 140 Baht - too big, had to take half of it home . . . licklips.gif -- Also ordered another Massaman take-away - excellent.

Friendly and fast service - a great addition to the Jomtien restaurant scene, imo - and much better value for money than the new taco place.

http://www.jollyfria...MenuGallery.htm

I just went by Jolly Friars in Jomtien and there is a very large sign out front that says: Fish and Chips 100 baht! Maybe it is a special to get people to try the new location.

The Soi Lengkee branch has this permanently, but I didnt notice it at Jomtien the day I walked past.

I think you may have not seen the sign because during the sunny part of the day the shade-screen they use is blocking it.......later you can see it. I am eating there tomorrow because a friend of mine just did and was raving about the 100 baht cod and chips!

I think you may have not seen the sign because during the sunny part of the day the shade-screen they use is blocking it.......later you can see it. I am eating there tomorrow because a friend of mine just did and was raving about the 100 baht cod and chips!

i have just eaten at jolly friar two

it won't be an extensive report as i am stuffed

its a more extensive menu than lengkee branch and has pictures for multi lingual understanding

its a double unit that's more airy and comfortable than lengkee

the staff were attentive albeit a little bit nervous

the food was pretty much the same as JF one

i always order the same thing so i can comment if there's any difference quality wise between the two branches and there wasn't

however i would give JF one the edge over JF two taste wise at this time but its a marginal call

the restaurant has apparently been open 12 days now, but you would never know it

no excuses were needed for any lack of anything on the menu or poor service or breakdowns and its already running at full steam

not like some other places

i give it and the management a solid thumbs up!

Tried the new Jomtien Jolly Friar last week - Large Fish & Chips only 140 Baht - too big, had to take half of it home . . . licklips.gif -- Also ordered another Massaman take-away - excellent.

Friendly and fast service - a great addition to the Jomtien restaurant scene, imo - and much better value for money than the new taco place.

http://www.jollyfria...MenuGallery.htm

Can you tell us where in Jomtien is the new JF restaurant?

I think you may have not seen the sign because during the sunny part of the day the shade-screen they use is blocking it.......later you can see it.

You're right. I walked past again today and did see it. Must go in one day.

"Can you tell us where in Jomtien is the new JF restaurant?"

It's a bit off the beaten path -- If you're coming from Pattaya, the road to the beach turns right at the Hanuman Statue - If you go all the way to where the road meets the beach road, you've gone a bit too far.

Before the beach, there's a large open-air bar on the right side of the road called Country-Roads -- there's a short walking Soi to the left of the bar. Walk back there a short distance where it meets another walking Soi - turn left and Jolly Friar is a short walk down toward the beach on the right.

Edited by SurfRider

I ate at Jolly Friar in Jomtien for lunch and had their lunch special, which is, at least for now, 100 baht for a good-sized piece of "dory" and chips. Since I am not big on chips, I had mushy peas instead. I was impressed! The dory is the least expensive fish type, but it was good (not doubt the Norwegian cod and/or Halibut are even better). Good food, good atmosphere, good service, good price.......I will definitely be back smile.png

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli