Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Ban Thai Kitchen (newish place) on new second road. Same side as Bali Breeze in Jomtien, but maybe 300 metres south, has excellent fish and chips at 120 baht. Fish is a large helping of Dory in a crumb (not a Batter). Beer is cheap there also --- just saying --- no thanks, not with fish and chips.

I will try this place.

Crumbs are the way to go.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish is a large helping of Dory in a crumb (not a Batter).

You cant make proper fish and chips with breadcrumbs. It has to be batter.

Breaded fish is something quite different; nice enough, but not fish and chips.

I much prefer batter too.

i like a nice breaded plaice now and then but when one talks about traditional fish and chips, it almost goes without saying there has to be batter involved......

Ban Thai Kitchen (newish place) on new second road. Same side as Bali Breeze in Jomtien, but maybe 300 metres south, has excellent fish and chips at 120 baht. Fish is a large helping of Dory in a crumb (not a Batter). Beer is cheap there also --- just saying --- no thanks, not with fish and chips.

Quite right. Only Tizer will do.

Quite right. Only Tizer will do.

Irn Bru

The Village Chippy is the best. I've tried all the others at some point. Yes, they have raised the prices and other than fish and chips you must be ready for an above average check. They now have Inidan food but I've not tried it yet. Assume frozen or some other way perhaps shrink wrapped then microwaved? For the large Cod with some chips and a drink you are going to spend 300baht but it's good.

This puts Goose's back into play.

If Goose's is as good as it was last year, I highly recommend it. The dory and chips were as good as back in a decent place in the West or Australia and not expensive. I usually have cod, but the dory was so good that I did not bother.

I had the cod from Goose's about two weeks ago and it was very nice.

Edited by saintofsilence

mmm excuse this OT post but , hows'a bout oily cheap mackeral rolled in oats and pan fried ? An old old recipe that could be tried with Indian mackerals .

<deleted>..... :huh:

It's a fish recipe using mackeral . You get a mackeral and wet it , then you roll the fish in oats , and then fry it in lard . It will smoke the kitchen out but it is a fine repast . I would recomend it served with new potatoes and mushy peas . I was proposing trying the recipe with the Indian mackerals or maybe even the small yellow tail tuna found in Thai markets .

also herring pan fried in oatmeal,, excellent,, but back to the traditional fish and chips, tried Simon's in Jomtiem (on the right hand side coming from the Pattaya direction about 3 hundred yards before hitting the beach), went there few weeks back and see its under new management, a new zealander who's been in the business, previously from Phuket,,, tried the Haddock and chips again which were not too bad..

mmm excuse this OT post but , hows'a bout oily cheap mackeral rolled in oats and pan fried ? An old old recipe that could be tried with Indian mackerals .

I've made that.

Very nice, but not fish and chips.

The Jolly Friar had good Battered Dory, but the tasty but enormous Beefeater chips put me off from going there again. Is the chef too lazy to cut a potato into more then 4 pieces lengthwise?

As a follow-up, I went to the Village Chippy last night. I thought the fish (Dory) was slightly inferior to that of Jolly Friar. I ordered the large portion and was very disappointed to see maybe 8-10 Chips in the container, they were fortunately not the Beefeater size as mentioned above but were still a smaller (50%) version of Friar's Beefeater. The taste was OK, not great, I had a feeling they were frozen.

Are there no chippy's out there that do a standard size, hand cut chip from fresh potatoes, well-seasoned and cooked to perfection?

Are there no chippy's out there that do a standard size, hand cut chip from fresh potatoes, well-seasoned and cooked to perfection?

It is hard to get the right kind of potatoes to make chips in Thailand. That is why most places use frozen, imported fries.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Apologies if this has been mentioned. Having tried a few of the others, I nominate

Pig & Whistle Pub

Its really hard to beat the fish and chips at the Pig & Whistle pub... in the Soi 7 area. Huge portion of whitefish( south pacific cream dory) with very good batter. Not oily tasting, they know how to fry

Mushy or garden peas your choice. Garden peas are excellent.

225 Baht in very pleasant surroundings, and the best most attentive wait staff in TH

And the chips are decent if not the best you might find here... really decent chips/pomme frites/french fries you just can't see to find in SEA

I was doing so well, been dieting a week, lost 4Kgs, also been stopped smoking for 3 days, without problems.........then I read this !!

Looks like it's homemade Fish & chips for dinner - my wife's are superb ( and her fish and chips ain't bad either !).

Curse you Jingthing !! :D

I was doing so well, been dieting a week, lost 4Kgs, also been stopped smoking for 3 days, without problems.........then I read this !!

Looks like it's homemade Fish & chips for dinner - my wife's are superb ( and her fish and chips ain't bad either !).

Curse you Jingthing !! :D

That's funny. I've stop posting to this topic because I've now sworn off fish and chips. Too fattening.

I think The Village Chippy will soon price itself out of business. Everything goes up by 20/30 baht every few weeks.

Well, not quite everything. The medium fish & chips is still B95 and as good as any I have had elsewhere.

The medium fish and chips is now B120.!

Thanks for the price update. Actually I was there a few weeks ago when it was still B 95.

25 baht surcharge due to price increase on potato's due to supply problems. notice up saying, i would think when things return to normal this will come off. Still the best for me around Pattaya, made last visit to village chippy few weeks ago after 3 bad visits. chips very poor attempt at chips, and barely any chips anyway, still chip shop style curry sauce is best i found.. Jolly friar for a try next.

Edited by marstons

Neeroys are fresh cut spuds and the fish isn't bad either, if only they knew how to finish off chips properly, I have a deep fat fryer at home and always give them a finishing in very hot oil - nice and crispy

I just ate the lunch special (175 bhat) at Goose's (2nd Rd) and it really was good. It was not haddock or cod (they cost more), but very good, and I can only imagine how good the haddock and cod are at Goose's. It came with homemade french fries/chips, mushy peas (I ate them for the first time in my life and they were good, congratulations Brits for making something good), tarter sauce, etc. The batter was near perfect. The restaurant itself is a real surprise for Pattaya as it looks good inside and reminded me of some places back home. Very clean place. No complaints at all except the waitresses w/ less than friendly attitudes. I will definitely go back for the fried shrimp and fish combination.

I just ate the lunch special (175 bhat) at Goose's (2nd Rd) and it really was good.

I concur. Goose's is way better than any F&C place in the Kingdom and as good as many overseas. I was just telling a friend who spends a lot of time in Pattaya about it this morning. :thumbsup: