Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Robinpattaya newbie ................. this informative thread has been going for over 3 years - hardly obsessive in my view. Threads such as this i find useful even having been here for over 15 years. But i do agree many of TV OP's seem to have no lives nor brains but such is life!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to the Jolly Friar a few times and have always enjoyed.

A buddy of mine speaks very highly of Goose's on 2nd Road.

I also went to The Village Chippy and had a nice meal.

This post pretty much sums up fish and chips in Pattaya.

Despite what Robin the long-time newbie says there are some very passable substututes for 'home' fish and chips. They also make a welcome change from Thai food which can become extremely monotonous.

Darrel is right - up to you what you eat and when. It is hardly necessary to take a jumped up approach based on a negative view to this food/thread.

My grandmother used to say - "if you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything".

RobinPattaya has obviously never met my grandmother.

Argumentative posts removed from view. A lot of people take their fish and chips very seriously indeed and we don't want to get into an argument about F & C vs Local food do we as that would be off topic wouldn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are a fish and chips lover you have to try the new 'Lakeside Chippy' on lake Mabprachan.

I know it is a bit of a drive out of town but it is well worth the effort - the fish and chips are fantastic.

Ok, I'll bite ... Lake Mabprachan is a large area, whereabouts is it? Price? More details?

If you are a fish and chips lover you have to try the new 'Lakeside Chippy' on lake Mabprachan.

I know it is a bit of a drive out of town but it is well worth the effort - the fish and chips are fantastic.

Ok, I'll bite ... Lake Mabprachan is a large area, whereabouts is it? Price? More details?

Between Fishermans Rest and Magnolias Hotel, aka 9999 I think. Great chips, dodgy cod, greasy dory. Cheap-ish, can't remember exactly.

• 3 months later...

Stepped into the JF in Jomtien on the weekend. Food was ok, but the service was diabolical. Even by Thai standards. Ambience was destroyed by the massive TV in the corner showing Thai soap at ridiculous volume.

They also put cheap ketchup in Heinz bottles. Not the world's greatest crime but makes you wonder where else corners are cut.

Wont be back.

12.924323,100.970857 about here on google maps, i dont eat the fish and chipes there anymore though.

Like with so many things in this town, home cooking is the answer!

Imported frozen cod and frozen chips are probably going to beat the locally produced version every time. My local Tops daily has packets of frozen chips for 99B that look quite tempting.

But even so the Chinese ought to be able to grow decent spuds for chips: they have the climate.

we use chinese " super potatoes " from macro, they are good all rounder, takes work to make a good chip but im not giving away my secret

12.924323,100.970857 about here on google maps, i dont eat the fish and chipes there anymore though.

go one, i will bite.......

so why don't you eat the fish and chips there anymore ?

For value for money and quality i think it is impossible to beat the "Jolly Friar". They have a shop on Soi Lengee Pattaya and in Jomtien (near the Beach Police Box). I usually get their "small" fish and chips which is only 100 baht. But to me it is more than enough, i am stuffed after eating it. The fish is lovely and comes with chunky chips. Never had a bad one and less than half the price of "Simons' up the road.

I was in Pattaya the past week and for the first time stopped by Goose's for lunch. Had the small F & C (dory) and thought it very good. A nice touch is the bread and choice of peas for B120.

Yes Gooses is the undisputed winner if you scroll through the previous posts

You should make a poll or maybe Jingthing will as it was his original question and he's the king of polls?

I was in Pattaya the past week and for the first time stopped by Goose's for lunch. Had the small F & C (dory) and thought it very good. A nice touch is the bread and choice of peas for B120.

Yes Gooses is the undisputed winner if you scroll through the previous posts

You should make a poll or maybe Jingthing will as it was his original question and he's the king of polls?

I'll second that. We haven't had a Jingthing poll for a week or two now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly the Village Chippy seems to be on a downward spiral ... we ate there on a regular basis, and last week the bread and butter we ordered was of the cheap, soggy variety you get from a 7/11 or similar . Two slices, 45 baht.

Thinking it a one off, we ordered again today - same cheap white bread rather than the big, thick slices they used before and to cap it all they served frozen crinkle cut chips.

Sorry but our custom will now go elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Just back from Goose's. I'll sum it up the best way a Scottish chippy eating champion can... it was 5hit.

I got the 3 battered sausages and chips, my gf got the cod and chips. We both had approx 8 chips each and twice as much batter to sausage/fish ratio.

Clearly owned by someone who rarely visits chippy's when back in the UK. Advertising itself as a Genuine British Chippy is nonsense. I was expecting at least a deep fat fryer counter but it was a bog standard (albeit clean) restaurant with photo's of South End pier on the walls.

All in all, we won't be going back.

Sadly the Village Chippy seems to be on a downward spiral ... we ate there on a regular basis, and last week the bread and butter we ordered was of the cheap, soggy variety you get from a 7/11 or similar . Two slices, 45 baht.

Thinking it a one off, we ordered again today - same cheap white bread rather than the big, thick slices they used before and to cap it all they served frozen crinkle cut chips.

Reluctantly gave up there several months ago, curry sauce was good, thats about the only posative thing i can say, dont know why it changed so quickly and for the worse.

go one, i will bite.......

so why don't you eat the fish and chips there anymore ?

seems to have lost the quality it had once opened, as an extra preffered it when it was 9999.

i cant really say, as i havnt been to pattaya for a number of years now, im in the sticks,lol,

but i used to like pig and wistle good fish, chips good and the mushy peas were great and allways more then you could eat,

now i make my own, red talapia out my pond,fillited, lots of salt and lemon for a couple of hours into batter beautiful,,

jake

Reluctantly gave up there several months ago, curry sauce was good, thats about the only posative thing i can say, dont know why it changed so quickly and for the worse.

Management disagreement and now run by only 1 half of the original pair.

• 5 months later...

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but Goose's fish and chippery appears to be closed ???

Beyond appears. It is definitely shut up and officially FOR SALE. Whether it will reopen with the same format or not is to be seen later.