Why Is The Baht So Strong?

Can anyone explain to me why we have to have the same f****g thread about the baht's strength reposted 4 times a week?

Different posters :o Does it annoy you so much :D

Yes different posters and a definite sign that People are worried, and in my view they should be worried enough to tighten there belts and prepare for some not so smooth sailing hoping when we emerge its on and upwards not a call to man the life$boats.

Edited by mijan24

Today's latest news project a twin deficit in Thailand for 2009 ( I guess I said that in my last post few weeks ago).

Exports are falling even more than worse projection and tourism, of course, is the worst hit right now.

Anyway, very good link that of Thaicrisis.

Everything is poiting at a more fast Baht depreciation starting from early next year.

That s what I "suggested" before, a stronger pace of depreciation is better to avoid a currency crush in the future.

Regarding the current reserves composition and Thai Baht value versus foreign currencies, I have studied carefully all the exchange rates of 2008 and I think US dollar is the main currency and than in nimor quanbities there are euros,japanese yens for sure and likely smaller quanitites of singaporean dollars, MAYBE VERY SMALL quantities of sterlings,wons,renmbimbis,HK dollars,Aussie dollars.

I have a feeling that in 2009 (Jan,Feb,March) the Baht will fall very suddenly indeed. Dramatically. I don't think any financial expert will bet against this.

So I will say by Feb 1st 2009: 1 US$ = 42 baht.

However I am concerned for the British pound which might well be 1.35 against the US$ very soon, especially as UK interest rates will be cut from 2% to 1% for sure on 8th Jan 2009 then to 0.5% in February.

I suppose the best advice is to economise and be a mean bugger until things improve late in 2009.

I suppose the best advice is to economise and be a mean bugger until things improve late in 2009.

Or hold gold ! The credit crisis will soon give way to a currency crisis and all fiat currencies will lose value against gold. This is not as far away as some would have you believe - just look at how quickly the slump has progressed.

Related to this thread, would you consider the Baht a freely convertible currency? The exchange controls were lifted months ago but are there other BOT restrictions or laws preventing the Baht reaching its true market value? I am not talking about interventions in the form of buying or selling of the foreign currency reserve by the BOT but rather curbs on large currency transactions or FOREX trading.

Hey guys, are you noticing that in the past couple of days THB has dropped 30-40 cents both against USD and EUR ??

It seems it si dropping faster now.

I think new PM has given directive to BOT how he wants to do and BOT is following his directives.

Maybe this is the change we were expecting.

Around Songkraan we could have a quite cheaper baht.

Can anyone explain to me why we have to have the same f****g thread about the baht's strength reposted 4 times a week?

Oh thats just bendix, ignore him, hes in the desert or somewhere out in dubai and obviously not enjoying himself,. :D

Oh thats just bendix, ignore him, hes in the desert or somewhere out in dubai and obviously not enjoying himself,. :D

Not so, Bendix hails from the Beergarden in Soi 7 and it surely is starting to show from recent posts.