Thaksin's Lawyers Out Of Jail

george

Thaksin's lawyers out of jail

BANGKOK: -- Three lawyers hired by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were released from Bangkok Special Prison Monday after serving six months jail for contempt of court over the pastrybox bribery scandal.

Phichit Chuenban and Thana Tansiri left the prison at 6am and got quickly into cars brought by their families to avoid throngs of reporters waiting to interview them.

Supasri Srisawat, a clerk convicted on the same charge, was also released from the Central Female Prison at 9.30am.

Police dropped the bribery charge against the three lawyers two weeks ago and reported their decision to the Special Public Prosecutor at the Criminal Litigation Department, Somjet Chaichalermpreecha.

-- The Nation 2008-12-22

Update:

Thaksin's three lawyers complete jail term

BANGKOK: -- The three lawyers of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were released from the Bangkok Special Prison after having served six-month jail term for contempt of court over the controversial Bt2 million bribery pastry box.

Phichit Chuenban and Thana Tansiri left the prison at 6 AM and quickly got into the cars their family brought to pick them up to avoid throngs of reporters waiting to interview them.

Supasri Srisawat, a clerk who was convicted on the same charge was also released from the Central Female Prison at 9.30 am.

Two weeks ago police dropped the bribery charge against the three lawyers and reported their decision to Special Public Prosecutor of the Criminal Litigation Department, Somjet Chaichalermpreecha. A public prosecutor team has been appointed to look into the case and would decide whether to pursue or drop the case. The prosecutors may come up with different opinion from the police and can ask for further investigation.

Angkanung Lebnark, director of the Central Female Prison said Supasri could not adjust to the prison life and was under heavy stress in the beginning. Prison officials had to look after her closely fearing she could hurt herself. She was persuaded to ordain as a Buddhist nun to help calm her down but she had health problem - the kidney disease that kept her back from joining the programme.

On June 10, the three found guilty of contempt of court for trying to bribe ML Thitipong Chompoonuch, a legal officer at the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, and his colleagues by handing the paper bag containing the snack box stuffed with some Bt2 million in cash.

The lawyers represented Thaksin and then his wife Pojaman Shinawatra in the trial, in which the ex-premier is accused of abusing power while in office for a sweetheart deal with the government involving the purchase of the 33-rai of land on Ratchadapisek Road.

-- The Nation 2008-12-22

Getting 6 months for bribeing officials at the Surpreme Court seems to be a light sentence.

Why are the police planning to drop charges ? :o

The police have dropped the charges as the goal has been achieved i.e. to remove the Shinawatra family from the reins of power. The courts were very much part of the team. The jailing of the lawyers was an often-used tactic in Thai power struggles. It even has a name in Thai. It's called kicking the dog. One side will take drastic action, in this case jailing, against the minions of the other party. The psychology behind it is "Look what I am able and willing to do to your minions. You had better back down or I'll do it to you." It also brings resolution to a conflict without it developing into full-on warfare in which both parties end up worse off.

Perhaps you remember the expressway toll collector who got 25 years or something like that for stealing a small amount of money. This was a power struggle over the toll receipts. Or perhaps you remember the Tesco trolley collector who was killed by a bomb. This was a power struggle over the lucrative security contract.

If you follow the news in Thailand, you will see this tactic used over and over again.

Getting 6 months for bribeing officials at the Surpreme Court seems to be a light sentence.

The police have dropped the charges as the goal has been achieved i.e. to remove the Shinawatra family from the reins of power. The courts were very much part of the team. The jailing of the lawyers was an often-used tactic in Thai power struggles. It even has a name in Thai. It's called kicking the dog. One side will take drastic action, in this case jailing, against the minions of the other party. The psychology behind it is "Look what I am able and willing to do to your minions. You had better back down or I'll do it to you." It also brings resolution to a conflict without it developing into full-on warfare in which both parties end up worse off.

Perhaps you remember the expressway toll collector who got 25 years or something like that for stealing a small amount of money. This was a power struggle over the toll receipts. Or perhaps you remember the Tesco trolley collector who was killed by a bomb. This was a power struggle over the lucrative security contract.

If you follow the news in Thailand, you will see this tactic used over and over again.

I think that was about 6 years ago and it was 40 years for stealing 80k.

So on a pro rate basis you get a year in chokey for every 2K baht. I wonder what Tacky will get lumbered with?

It's a no brainer. A pardon.

Hi All.

Seeing this thread is about prison. Has any one got any idea what has happened to Samak's

appeal, I see him on televishion and he looks to me to be fit enough to do his time,I think he has 3 appeals turned down and it is hard to see the highest court letting him off.

phupaman

It had to be 40 years. That's what public would read and know.

What nobody would write about is - Thai appeal system (no violence, nobody hurt, no drugs, no firearms, no previous offences) will ensure he does not serve more than a year, if that. Most likely out soon after he is served the verdict.