1 Year Non-b Visa Rule Changes In Penang

We have today received confirmation from the Thai Consulate in Penang that they will now require the company to show 8 million baht in registered capitalization as well as a valid work permit to obtain a one year multiple entry NON-IMM B (business) visa.

They have indicated that these are the MINIMUM requirements for the visa and they can still deny applications at their discretion (as always).

We are currently checking with the Embassy in KL to see if similar restrictions have been applied.

Edited by Sunbelt Asia

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have today received confirmation from the Thai Consulate in Penang that they will now require the company to show 8 million baht in registered capitalization as well as a valid work permit to obtain a one year multiple entry NON-IMM B (business) visa.

They have indicated that these are the MINIMUM requirements for the visa and they can still deny applications at their discretion (as always).

We are currently checking with the Embassy in KL to see if similar restrictions have been applied.

Thanks for that. Not being a worker, what were the requirements in the past?

Thanks for that. Not being a worker, what were the requirements in the past?

The previous requirement was a valid one year work permit which would require 2 million baht in registered capital (1 million if married to a Thai national).

"Registered" is not always the same as "paid-up" when it comes to a Thai corp's capitalization. The B 8M comes out to about US$ 225,000. That is a fair bit of money...won't be able to use a little beer-bar to get a multi-entry "B" anymore.

Correct. The Penang consulate indicated "registered" capital. This means that its possible to increase the capitalization of the company without fully paying up the shares with cash. However, this increase in capital will also put you into a higher taxation bracket as you will no longer be considered an SME (under 5 million in capitalization).

Our staff will re-confirm this point when they re-open again tommorrow.

"Registered" is not always the same as "paid-up" when it comes to a Thai corp's capitalization. The B 8M comes out to about US$ 225,000. That is a fair bit of money...won't be able to use a little beer-bar to get a multi-entry "B" anymore.

Correct. The Penang consulate indicated "registered" capital. This means that its possible to increase the capitalization of the company without fully paying up the shares with cash. However, this increase in capital will also put you into a higher taxation bracket as you will no longer be considered an SME (under 5 million in capitalization).

Our staff will re-confirm this point when they re-open again tommorrow.

is it still paid up must be 25% of registered capital?

Well that makes perfect sense doesnt it? (okay you have to live a little while in thailand to understand thai sense) ;-)

let's take you favourite hotel (thai owned) and it has no bookings, like , uhm, now? (what a coincidence) the owner will raise the rent to cover the loss.

isnt thailand like a hotel ? nah anyway - it will work .....

is there a thai translation for economic stimulus package?

okay, i'll take the black santa hat off ;-)

HAPPY XMAS to all you lads @ thaivisa !

Jake

(and i still will not leave ) =)))

Edited by JakeBKK

Thailand has decided for better or worse that they don't want small Mickey Mouse type businesses supplying a business visa for foreigners. I believe that it will become even harder in the future as the economy worsens to stay as small businesses can usually be run by Thais and there is always Cambodia.

This is absurd. If I didn't know and love so many good Thai people I would want to say 'f*** them, let their economy crash and burn". About a year ago I started a thread here about my problems getting a non-B visa in Penang and was accused of being a F-up because I (incorrectly) blamed the agent. Using the same papers and application in the USA I had my visa in ten minutes. My screen name is DivinGuy but I am a SW engineer and did nothing but shut down my business in the US and restart it here at half-price to my clients. I had two million baht paid up capital. I do nothing but bring money to Thailand. I take no jobs away from anyone because my work is based on expertise in a few specific areas and connections in the US.

I am watching my friends suffer because exports are dropping and tourism (a MUCH smaller slice of the pie) is dropping, too. <deleted> are these idiots thinking? Are they that unaware of the problems Thailand is facing? Thailand didn't make these problems but still has to deal with them. Over the next couple of years the country will need all the income it can get. People like me do nothing but supply a small cash infusion

Eight million baht? So what does someone like me, but who doesn't want to go back to their home country, do? Create a fantasy that their expertise is worth six million baht?

I have never been part of the "They hate us, let's go home" camp, but this, finally, is pushing me that way. I stayed quiet about the 90/180 rule, I stayed quiet about the 15 days at a land border rule, but this is ridiculous. To all you lovers of the Thai Immigration Dept., please tell me how this will benefit the country or people.

(Mods I am sorry. If this post is too inflammatory then please delete it, but don't ban me. I am a long time member with few posts.)

This is absurd. If I didn't know and love so many good Thai people I would want to say 'f*** them, let their economy crash and burn". About a year ago I started a thread here about my problems getting a non-B visa in Penang and was accused of being a F-up because I (incorrectly) blamed the agent. Using the same papers and application in the USA I had my visa in ten minutes. My screen name is DivinGuy but I am a SW engineer and did nothing but shut down my business in the US and restart it here at half-price to my clients. I had two million baht paid up capital. I do nothing but bring money to Thailand. I take no jobs away from anyone because my work is based on expertise in a few specific areas and connections in the US.

I am watching my friends suffer because exports are dropping and tourism (a MUCH smaller slice of the pie) is dropping, too. <deleted> are these idiots thinking? Are they that unaware of the problems Thailand is facing? Thailand didn't make these problems but still has to deal with them. Over the next couple of years the country will need all the income it can get. People like me do nothing but supply a small cash infusion

Eight million baht? So what does someone like me, but who doesn't want to go back to their home country, do? Create a fantasy that their expertise is worth six million baht?

I have never been part of the "They hate us, let's go home" camp, but this, finally, is pushing me that way. I stayed quiet about the 90/180 rule, I stayed quiet about the 15 days at a land border rule, but this is ridiculous. To all you lovers of the Thai Immigration Dept., please tell me how this will benefit the country or people.

(Mods I am sorry. If this post is too inflammatory then please delete it, but don't ban me. I am a long time member with few posts.)

Time to move to the Philippines perhaps.

This is just one consulate. As far as I know, it is still quite easy to go back to the US once a year and receive your multiple entry, non-immogrant B visa at one of the many consulates. Stay away from the big places like LA, NY and Chicago because it is very diffucult. The cost has steadily gone up and is now $175 US.

This is just one consulate. As far as I know, it is still quite easy to go back to the US once a year and receive your multiple entry, non-immogrant B visa at one of the many consulates. Stay away from the big places like LA, NY and Chicago because it is very diffucult. The cost has steadily gone up and is now $175 US.

Has anyone tried to make a complaint regarding this matter? Before everyone screams "yeah right" I can assure you that when LA was randomly changing the rules in 2005 the consular was recalled because of the number of complaints.

DivinGuy, maybe in your frustration you exaggerate a bit when you say you got the visa in an hour? I have worked with most of them in the US and even knew some consulars personally and I still waited a day for my visa.

Stileo, Thai consulates in the US have areas of responsibility and it is common for them to refuse service if you do not have proof of residence in there area. Not too hard to get around but sometimes causes problems. Also, Chicago is not a big consulate in the same sense as LA and NY;much less business. Finally, if you take away Chicago, NY, LA and the Embassy, all the others are actually honorary consulates.

Agreed it's Penang but do we see a trend here? Will its remain 'quite easy' to get one issued in your home country? The US Consulates are increasing their prices and if that doesn't deter applicants heading there to get the visa, the next logical step (for Thai Immigration) may be to rein in these Consulates which are mostly Honorary anyway.

Most of these tightening of the screws can't possibly be solely due to their concern that WP's are being issued to Caucasians by hole-in-the-wall type companies, I just don't think we are that significant. Is there a bigger issue with LOCAL immigration loophole dodgers? Is it possible that this drive is more against those of Asian ethnicity taking work away from Thai nationals? Are (for example) Filipinos, Vietnamese and Laotians becoming more prevalent in the workplace here, possibly doing jobs that the locals are too lazy or don't want to do?

If so, I can see the far-flung consulates being left alone and further enforcement and manipulation of the rules by the LOCAL embassies and consulates. It's just unfortunate that a whole bunch of low-budget but honest and genuine long-term Thailand 'resident farangs' are getting swept out with the new 'rules'. If it doesn't sweep out the bottom-feeding, low-life, possibly criminal, visa-runner types, then it can't be draconian enough.

Edited by NanLaew

If you've been here a few years you should know by now that not much makes any sense here to a Farang. Thai gov. thinking has no relevance, similarity or anything in common to a logical western thought process. They are in their own reality and you really have to be Thai to understand it.

With that said they are sure killing themselves by their own hand. But in their thinking they probably want to scare farang away and its working. Thailand is for Thai's. Right? After this year which will be a very bad tourist season for them I'm sure they will be doing another about face next year when they decide they want farang back again.

If you've been here a few years you should know by now that not much makes any sense here to a Farang. Thai gov. thinking has no relevance, similarity or anything in common to a logical western thought process. They are in their own reality and you really have to be Thai to understand it.

The best post I have seen. Sometimes living here I forget this simple fact. I will print this out, 'pretty' it up a bit and hang it on my wall unless I forget this simple truth in the future.

Merry Xmas dreamtime.

Edited by dsfbrit

What is your problem here ? If you run a company here, you should not need to leave and renew your work permit & visa outside of Thailand. You can either do it at immigration in Bangkok or at the BOI one stop service centre.

I have been here for 11 years on a work permit & visa, running a company and at no point have I had to leave the country to renew my visa & work permit.

Of course, if you don't have a work permit & are working here illegally, then it would be an issue.

This may also have some effect on those of us that were planning to go for residency in the future as you have to show a MINIMUM of 3 years on a Non Imm visa to qualify. Thailand for Thais..... :D

Anyway Merry Christmas all and a safe and....prosperous.... New Year!

:o

I am not too worried about Penang changing this rule but what if it is a prelude to immigration requiring 8 million for extensions ??????

I thought the corporate tax rate was 30% unless you were listed on the SET then it was 25%? i did not know it was less for SME's

What is your problem here ? If you run a company here, you should not need to leave and renew your work permit & visa outside of Thailand. You can either do it at immigration in Bangkok or at the BOI one stop service centre.

I have been here for 11 years on a work permit & visa, running a company and at no point have I had to leave the country to renew my visa & work permit.

Of course, if you don't have a work permit & are working here illegally, then it would be an issue.

Just out of curiosity what company are you running? What is the BOI one stop service?

I fully concur. Perhaps when viable options (for foreieners in Thailand) are no longer pleasing, a more drastic and permanent decision will occur. including a change of location.

Depending on what you are looking for, Laos is a great place. They have much easier visa rules and its nirvana if you like peace and quiet. But its much less developed than Thailand and no beaches or islands.

Malaysia is much more progressive and easier to move to and work in than Thailand. They have amazing rules when you move a business there like 10 year tax free status, long term visas for you and your foreign workers, and much more. They are much more open and way ahead of Thailand in the "come to our country and live" dept. Kuala Lumpur is really nice and there are many nice parts of Malaysia to check out.

Thailand is not the only game in town.

A few weeks back when the 15 day border run rule was introduced, there were many smug comments on this site from people who felt they were above those who for whatever reason live here on tourist visas. One or two posters said that it would not be long before immo took aim at business, marriage or retirement visa holders. Farangs are seen as a cash cow. They will squeeze each section of the expat community as far as they they think they can. It is not wise to gloat at the misfortunes of others. You may be next.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a healthy and very prosperous New Year.

The best post I have seen. Sometimes living here I forget this simple fact. I will print this out, 'pretty' it up a bit and hang it on my wall unless I forget this simple truth in the future.

Merry Xmas dreamtime.

yes, my thoughts exactly also. I have been here a few years and keep forgetting this fact. "You have to be Thai to understand them". even simple things like building a fence or laying some pvc water line. "You have to be Thai to understand them". :o