3. lobster
  4. smoked salmon
  5. salmon sashimi
  6. cheeses
  7. lamb
  8. rabbit
  9. 6 kinds of dessert
  10. champagne

Too full after all that to even look at the rest of the offerings.

I went to the Holiday Inn too (Bangkok).

The staff were very good. The buffet selection was wide (didn't see any beef though), particularly good were the starters and desserts (although the Xmas pudding & custard wasn't 'proper') and no roast potatoes or yorkshire to go with my turkey...

1100 baht for buffet (coffee included, but no other drinks). I paid 200 baht more for a glass of Chilean white (very nice).

It was good, but I'll try somewhere else next year (Landmark is better - I should have taken Corkscrew's advice and gone this year...)

Despite a Thai santa it didn't feel very Xmassy (WWF playing on the three giant TV's...), and I always get depressed here over Xmas / New Year. :o

I've got six days New Year holiday, maybe I'll head up to CM. :D

Holiday Inn buffet. I selected

1. Oysters on the half shell
  2. crab
  3. lobster
  4. smoked salmon
  5. salmon sashimi
  6. cheeses
  7. lamb
  8. rabbit
  9. 6 kinds of dessert
  10. champagne

I went to the Holiday Inn too (Bangkok).

The staff were very good. The buffet selection was wide (didn't see any beef though), particularly good were the starters and desserts (although the Xmas pudding & custard wasn't 'proper') and no roast potatoes or yorkshire to go with my turkey...

1100 baht for buffet (coffee included, but no other drinks). I paid 200 baht more for a glass of Chilean white (very nice).

It was good, but I'll try somewhere else next year (Landmark is better - I should have taken Corkscrew's advice and gone this year...)

Despite a Thai santa it didn't feel very Xmassy (WWF playing on the three giant TV's...), and I always get depressed here over Xmas / New Year. :D

I've got six days New Year holiday, maybe I'll head up to CM. :D

:o Did you have the staff as dessert ?

I was invited to dinner too.

The menu was limited compared to you all.

openers : Roasted Cricket w/ chili

Loy Kroy Centipede W/chili--a heart stopper!!

Hang Dong Frog, fried to perfection

Entree : Cow Afterbirth in a lite and savory garlic.

served with 4 kinds of grass and leaves. breathless !!

followed by Pigs blood soup, always a delite.

and of course, sticky rice.

Dessert: generous rounds of Sang Som and beer Chang

to help you forget what you just ate.

Turkey Smurky, I can see Doi Suthep even at night !!

Happy Holidays to all. Peace on Earth, what an elusive thing !! :D

Sawatdee Kup.

2. crab
  3. lobster
  4. smoked salmon
  5. salmon sashimi
  6. cheeses
  7. lamb
  8. rabbit
  9. 6 kinds of dessert
  10. champagne

Wisely not mentioning the price.

The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh.

Very disappointed

The egg mayonnaise with smoked salmon had a tiny, tiny, tiny strip of salmon on each egg. More a dot than a strip

The main meal had about a table spoon of mashed potato, and not a heaped tablespoon either. Only a teaspoon of sage and onion stuffing. The roast potatoes and chestnut stuffing where nowhere to be found, and I did look carefully under everything but there wasn't that much on the plate so I don't think they eluded me.

Very disappointed and feel ripped off for 595 Baht per person.

A once a year meal and this year was wasted

Friends sisters pub ...Thai with Angrit hubby over in New Cross 'Sarf; London....

Great company with 50-50 Thai and locals ...lots of som tam,noodles,roast chicken/potatoes,sprouts/vegs and all the trimmings you could eat ..plus...buckets of wine and beer..... :o

Also had a couple of really good singers with the old 'gibsons'and we all had a raucus night singing Irish Folk songs......even gave them my rendition of the .....Wild Rover...'Ive Been a wild rover fur mony a year'..etc...hic

......great craik...and best crissy night in years ....... :D ...roll on next time..... :D

2. crab
  3. lobster
  4. smoked salmon
  5. salmon sashimi
  6. cheeses
  7. lamb
  8. rabbit
  9. 6 kinds of dessert
  10. champagne

Wisely not mentioning the price.

About 1,000 baht as was the Duke's but it was literally all you can eat, including all the expensive stuff. It was easy to get your money back. :o

My Christmas meal was sliced raw beef, with spicy sauce, shared with a few Thai friends.

It was really rather tasty.

Then i asked why this dish had such a unique flavour.

"Bile" from a cow.

oh... ok... i can handle that.

"Soft Green Shit" from the alimentary canal of a cow.

hmmm...... oh dear.

not sure... thin sliced beef (raw) with onions, herbs, chilli etc....

the bile and 'soft green shit' was blended into a sauce all over the beef.

I really enjoyed it, until i found out the ingredients, and recognised the tiny bits of green, partly digested grass.... :o

The next day someone else in the market where i work had a moo joom (hotpot) with a black sauce.. i dipped the boiled beef into the sauce... which turned out to be bile... very bitter, and with the chilli, burnt my mouth... really unpleasant taste.

must be a glut of bile on the market at the moment...

I really enjoyed it, until i found out the ingredients, and recognised the tiny bits of green, partly digested grass.... :D

The next day someone else in the market where i work had a moo joom (hotpot) with a black sauce.. i dipped the boiled beef into the sauce... which turned out to be bile... very bitter, and with the chilli, burnt my mouth... really unpleasant taste.

who says the Chiang Mai thread is only about pizzas, burgers and burritos?

we got some variety now.. yay ! :D

ps: absolutely disgusting! :o

I really enjoyed it, until i found out the ingredients, and recognised the tiny bits of green, partly digested grass.... :D

I'm tempted to ask, was there free water, to wash the taste away, but I won't ! :D

I'm tempted to ask, was there free water, to wash the taste away, but I won't ! :D

All these references to free water are lost on most people now. The topic was not only halted but was deleted!! 

That's quite an achievement, and although I don't know the reason ...

I take it as a compliment, anyway. :D

I had xmas dinner in my place (no names remember). Pretty busy, but too many people enjoying themselves for my liking.

Pity I didn't know about the bile glut beforehand. I'm sure chef could have done something with it. I remember that classic book '101 things to do with beef bile'. 102 if you eat the f*#kin' stuff. :wai:

Edited by KevinHUNT

No traditional Christmas dinner. I'm on a diet and feeling virtuous out weighed the desire to gorge.

Large cucumber, tomato and spring onion salad, mixed grated cheese, carrot and Chinese radish salad and two hard boiled eggs.

Couldn't eat it all, had to finish it off for supper. :o

PS... and NO booze.

No traditional Christmas dinner. I'm on a diet and feeling virtuous out weighed the desire to gorge.

Large cucumber, tomato and spring onion salad, mixed grated cheese, carrot and Chinese radish salad and two hard boiled eggs.

Couldn't eat it all, had to finish it off for supper. :o

PS... and NO booze.

We also went non-traditional, with an excellent lunch at St Germaine du Pres, top of Rachawitee near the moat.

THE best flank steak I've ever had, cooked to perfection by the charming young French chef and a blue cheese dressing which had just the right 'bite'. My wife was very impressed by her generous portion of fish (snapper).

Two courses each and a bottle of the pleasant house red came to well under 1,000b - and I'd budgeted 1500.

Tragedy: we were 2 of only 4 diners. This place deserves MUCH better patronage!