Molly Malone’s (bangkok) Christmas Meal Set Disappoints

Furbie

Yesterday afternoon (Christmas), some friends and I went for the Christmas meal set at Molly Malone's. The "deal" is going on for a few more days. I would advise anyone looking for a holiday meal that they will enjoy, or which provides any kind of value for money to avoid this set. At 1,250 per person, I expected something a bit more than the cold turkey, nasty ham and frozen veggies they served up – though the soup and minced pie was good. I would point out this was not a buffet - you get only one plate of food. The service was also well below acceptable, and something I would not expect from a western managed pub, even in Bangkok – especially at these prices. Our drink order took 15 minutes to get to us, staff would take one person's order and leave the table before others got the chance to order, and we had to harass staff to bring us the next course each time, among other issues. As the place was only half full, they have no excuse.

It is rare I will write a bad food review, but as they ruined our Christmas lunch, I thought I would share it with you.

Yesterday afternoon (Christmas), some friends and I went for the Christmas meal set at Molly Malone's. The "deal" is going on for a few more days. I would advise anyone looking for a holiday meal that they will enjoy, or which provides any kind of value for money to avoid this set. At 1,250 per person, I expected something a bit more than the cold turkey, nasty ham and frozen veggies they served up – though the soup and minced pie was good. I would point out this was not a buffet - you get only one plate of food. The service was also well below acceptable, and something I would not expect from a western managed pub, even in Bangkok – especially at these prices. Our drink order took 15 minutes to get to us, staff would take one person's order and leave the table before others got the chance to order, and we had to harass staff to bring us the next course each time, among other issues. As the place was only half full, they have no excuse.

It is rare I will write a bad food review, but as they ruined our Christmas lunch, I thought I would share it with you.

thanks for the review. it makes my 195 baht whopper with bacon and cheese "value" meal seem like a better deal yesterday, although they appear to have raised the price from 189 baht. :o

Here on Samui at Catcandoo we had an excellent buffet dinner for 299 baht. Turkey, baked ham, stuffing, roast and mashed pot's macaroni cheese, mixed veg with sprouts,coleslaw, home-made cranberry sauce and a selection of Thai food all very nice and eat as much as you like. Some here were though charging silly money, some wanting 850--1000 baht for a dinner. And they wonder why they go out of business so quick.

Here on Samui at Catcandoo we had an excellent buffet dinner for 299 baht. Turkey, baked ham, stuffing, roast and mashed pot's macaroni cheese, mixed veg with sprouts,coleslaw, home-made cranberry sauce and a selection of Thai food all very nice and eat as much as you like. Some here were though charging silly money, some wanting 850--1000 baht for a dinner. And they wonder why they go out of business so quick.

good to hear - I am hungry now!

Give me a good ol' buffet anytime (even if it's a little more money). I have yet to be impressed with any "holiday meal set", no matter where it was served or what the cost, from high end to middle of the road. I've learned my lesson or as the old saying goes: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Good grief!! The price alone would have turned me away.

That's more than most restaurants would charge back in my country-of-origin.