Buffets In Thailand

tb86

Whats with the obsession in thailand with buffets?? Dosent anyone realize that they are paying premium for dishes made out of left overs, and the lowest grade possible/ old meats/ fish ok as long as its local, i dont understand the logic behind it, I cook professionaly for a living and i wince when i see people get excited for a buffet. Short of the four seasons most of these buffets are questionable... some one please explain to me why are they so popular?

Whats with the obsession in thailand with buffets?? Dosent anyone realize that they are paying premium for dishes made out of left overs, and the lowest grade possible/ old meats/ fish ok as long as its local, i dont understand the logic behind it, I cook professionaly for a living and i wince when i see people get excited for a buffet. Short of the four seasons most of these buffets are questionable... some one please explain to me why are they so popular?

Not sure what low end buffets you are referring to. My favourite lunch/dinner buffet is at JW Marriott, but most other 5-star hotels around Bangkok have similar great quality buffets.

If you mean the 99 baht all you can eat open air BBQ places, I agree, quality is not all that good, but it is still value for money.

Because people like to chew until they spew :o

"Buffet" is yet another word that has been hijacked by Thai marketers.

It can be translated into English as an "all you can eat" restaurant.

Yes, and you're right, they're disgusting some of them. A trip to Fa**** M** G**** left me feeling very nauseous. Probably the amazing levels of sugar and sodium in the dishes.

I just posted a review for a popular one in Maptaphut, Old Germany. The food is freshly made for lunch and dinner each day. You can navigate around some of the more sodium-laden dishes, but, hey, it's German food, and it's going to be heavy, starchy and meaty. They also have a regular menu, but the buffet is very good for the price and lets you sample a wide range of your favorites. Review of Old Germany

BTW - in Las Vegas, they now have some excellent buffets. I don't particularly like buffets, but if they can dish out food that's as good as the food on their regular menu, why not?

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Short of the four seasons most of these buffets are questionable.

Sheraton Grande, JW Marriott, Shangri-la, Oriental, Westin, Marriott, Peninsula, Hilton Millenium, Sheraton - Too name but a few excellent buffets as good as and in some cases better than the four seasons.

Sheraton Grande, JW Marriott, Shangri-la, Oriental, Westin, Marriott, Peninsula, Hilton Millenium, Sheraton - Too name but a few excellent buffets as good as and in some cases better than the four seasons.

ha thats what you think some of my cooks are from those places,,,,,,,,,,, if you only knew

ha thats what you think some of my cooks are from those places,,,,,,,,,,, if you only knew

And you work at the four seasons don't you? :o

thats a good one but no, no i dont

thats a good one but no, no i dont

Mac Donald then....? :D

If you are prepared to hire staff that you yourself say are not producing quality food at buffet's and perhaps by your implication dodgy kitchen practices it does not really say much for your own establishment now does it........

Oh dear, another "Chef" indulging the readers with "expertise" :o

We have never been asked for lower quality when supplying 5 star Hotels with Terrines and Pate's or other foods for Buffet's. They may buy cheaper sausages for the Breakfast Buffet's because the cost of those are part of the room rate and expenses are managed by accountants, but the Buffet, lunch or dinner makes money and the Chef has relatively free room to decide what goes in and what not.

The Buffet has obvious advantages and also drawbacks- if it is bussy and has a quick turnarround of the meats, it will be quite good, however if it is slow, the meats will suffer simply by being kept too long at temperature, as will pasta etc... that said, a very good Buffet, they will remove items that have been on the Buffet for too long and that will go to the staff kitchen. So, be there shortly after opening and quality will be good.

On the rare occasions I make it to a Buffet, I never make it pass the cold starter section anyway because that's where a good Buffet really shines with smoked salmon, pate's, terrines ad a lot of other delicacies. I simply enjoy the variety.

If you of course expect a buffet at 200 baht to deliver quality, well you should wake up and have a look around, the sixties have gone and prices changed. Only yesterday I had a pm from a fellow member asking me why our New Year's Eve menu was soooo expensive at Baht 750.00 for 3 courses - :D I replied, the reason its sooo cheep is that we are a small place in a none prime locaton and that I'm viewing it as a promotion and an opportunity to present some real up-market food to our customers, which I enjoy.

The fillet of Beef we use is B 1,450.00/KG wholesale - we use 250G per Beef Wellington = close to 400.00 baht per portion + very good puff pastry + potato's + the Terrines and Pate's for the starter plate + the desert = sod all in profit and a lot of work.

All the chap's I know in the Industry in top Hotels here and elsewhere view their Buffet (especially the cold section) as showpiece of their reputation as a chef and would fight the number crunchers if they ask him to use inferior quality products

John

This topic has been hijacked by the Hi-So crowd.

The OP is talking about the 79 Baht all you can eat joints. If you wanna argue about which 5-star hotel has the freshest oysters and most truffly truffles, go start your own Hi-So buffet thread. This one is for the grassroots.

:o

If you are prepared to hire staff that you yourself say are not producing quality food at buffet's and perhaps by your implication dodgy kitchen practices it does not really say much for your own establishment now does it........

yeah you got me buddy,,,,,, :o

Oh dear, another "Chef" indulging the readers with "expertise" :o

We have never been asked for lower quality when supplying 5 star Hotels with Terrines and Pate's or other foods for Buffet's. They may buy cheaper sausages for the Breakfast Buffet's because the cost of those are part of the room rate and expenses are managed by accountants, but the Buffet, lunch or dinner makes money and the Chef has relatively free room to decide what goes in and what not.

The Buffet has obvious advantages and also drawbacks- if it is bussy and has a quick turnarround of the meats, it will be quite good, however if it is slow, the meats will suffer simply by being kept too long at temperature, as will pasta etc... that said, a very good Buffet, they will remove items that have been on the Buffet for too long and that will go to the staff kitchen. So, be there shortly after opening and quality will be good.

On the rare occasions I make it to a Buffet, I never make it pass the cold starter section anyway because that's where a good Buffet really shines with smoked salmon, pate's, terrines ad a lot of other delicacies. I simply enjoy the variety.

If you of course expect a buffet at 200 baht to deliver quality, well you should wake up and have a look around, the sixties have gone and prices changed. Only yesterday I had a pm from a fellow member asking me why our New Year's Eve menu was soooo expensive at Baht 750.00 for 3 courses - :D I replied, the reason its sooo cheep is that we are a small place in a none prime locaton and that I'm viewing it as a promotion and an opportunity to present some real up-market food to our customers, which I enjoy.

The fillet of Beef we use is B 1,450.00/KG wholesale - we use 250G per Beef Wellington = close to 400.00 baht per portion + very good puff pastry + potato's + the Terrines and Pate's for the starter plate + the desert = sod all in profit and a lot of work.

All the chap's I know in the Industry in top Hotels here and elsewhere view their Buffet (especially the cold section) as showpiece of their reputation as a chef and would fight the number crunchers if they ask him to use inferior quality products

John

Wow, i guess im a "chef" then, the point of this topic was not to turn into a advert for who has a better restaurant, simply that i personaly am not a fan of the buffet ive never even mentioned the name of my place, ever in any post. All the chefs i know in europe and the us hate buffets, tasting menus/ala carte should be the rightful showpeices of a good cook.

I could care less what the chefs think! Customers throughout the world do love a good quality buffet at a decent price. They are popular for good reasons. Put on a good one at a good price and there will be a crowd. I think they work best with certain "ethnic" foods like Indian. If you order an a la carte Indian meal, to make it complete you need to order a huge number of dishes, and if you are only one or two people, that is very inefficient. I don't think most people expect high quality ingredients in the 200 baht range of course. Anyway, bring on the buffets!

Side note: these food forums are NOT only for food snobs and fancy schmancy chefs. Food is for everyone!

Edited by Jingthing

I could care less what the chefs think! Customers throughout the world do love a good quality buffet at a decent price. They are popular for good reasons. Put on a good one at a good price and there will be a crowd. I think they work best with certain "ethnic" foods like Indian. If you order an a la carte Indian meal, to make it complete you need to order a huge number of dishes, and if you are only one or two people, that is very inefficient. Bring on the buffets!

Side note: these food forums are NOT only for food snobs and fancy schmancy chefs. Food is for everyone!

thats right they are popular, so is the twinkie, mc donalds and microwave chilli cheese hotdogs, i dont like them one bit, good food is good food cheap or expensive. Im just saying that i dont care for the idea that tons of food is good simply beacuse its cheap.

It is not always about only being cheap. There are different price points. You can eat cheap at a regular meal as well, if you choose. Buffets aren't always cheap. For many people, it is about the opportunity to have a large VARIETY of foods and tastes in one meal. Especially wonderful for small parties.

Edited by Jingthing

The is a huge difference in the quality of Buffet's which vary from very bad to exellent and usually this is reflected by price. There are of course customers who are enticed by being able to load up and eat until close to bursting pint, for those quality comes secondary. The top buffet's entice a lot of people simply with their variety of food that one can taste and many customers can be enticed, having experienced an exellent buffet, to visit the 'a la carte restaurant on their next visit or Hotel guests often have a buffet for lunch and eat a'la carte in the evening when there is simply more time.

I've been to many buffet's a long time ago when i used to travel a lot more simply because of that point. Also it gave me an idea of the chef's range. A really great Buffet includes freshly prepared steaks and pasta and carveries for roast beef and lamb, usually only cold starters and deserts as well a vegatables and salads are self service where the hot fair (besides soups and stews) is prept to order and served at manned stations.

My feeling is that buffet's will become ever more popular considering the world wide recession and budget restrictions passed on to executives traveling,

John

p.s. when I used to travel in europe and had time, I used to mostly eat out of the Hotel in the evening in small local restaurants where the food often was superior - nowadays I prefer old fashioned food and am not too hot on haute cuisine - especially when I see the BS spreading all over the place with the new fab of molecular cooking

Edited by JohnBKKK

That's another good point. When you are really hungry and/or in a time rush such as a limited time lunch, there is nothing like a buffet. Its all there and ready to start eating right away. We may not have total freedom in life but the freedom to try a little bit of this, a lot of that, nothing of that over there, is a kind of liberation. I would hate to eat every meal as a buffet but I would like to see MORE of them on offer in Thailand of different food types, not less. That said, I do think they work better for non-western food than western food. A western meal can be complete with a few courses, while some cuisines require a bunch of dishes to achieve balance.

I dislike going to a standard sit down restaurant to peruse a complex menu when I am very hungry. It is hard to make rational decisions when you are dizzy from hunger.

Edited by Jingthing

That's another good point. When you are really hungry and/or in a time rush such as a limited time lunch, there is nothing like a buffet. Its all there and ready to start eating right away. We may not have total freedom in life but the freedom to try a little bit of this, a lot of that, nothing of that over there, is a kind of liberation. I would hate to eat every meal as a buffet but I would like to see MORE of them on offer in Thailand of different food types, not less. That said, I do think they work better for non-western food than western food. A western meal can be complete with a few courses, while some cuisines require a bunch of dishes to achieve balance.

Point taken , but wouldnt you prefer to eat something freshly cooked, as opposed to something that has been sitting in a steam table or over a chemical burner, for god knows how long. There are plenty of thai/asian and or western places in this city that can get you in and out and full in less than 45 minutes?

Point taken , but wouldnt you prefer to eat something freshly cooked, as opposed to something that has been sitting in a steam table or over a chemical burner, for god knows how long.

I'm not a big fan of buffets, but if you get there when it opens, the food is reasonably fresh. Otherwise, you have to grab the food when it first comes out of the kitchen on the refills.

TB86...there is no way fighting people without any taste. And I am not referring to any poster here.

You are considering buffets from a chef's point of view and I utterly agree with you. Chef (in another life) as well. A real chef looks with professional eyes and goes for quality and alot of so called chefs just do what they have to do.

Buffet food may not be that bad, but mostly cold, massy (= no taste) and not even a highlight item.

Sure some buffets are delightfull and therefor much more expensive.

In fact the low end buffets are for the Thai people and for the low end foreigner. The Thai people love the buffets; they can spend a hundred on it, eat their belly full and have loud karaoke or live band alltogether.

The foreigner just has a cheap treat and probably no taste or wallet.

As you may know, some buffet restaurants (at least in Chiang Mai) charge you extra if you didn't eat all that you took. That is for meat and fish/shrimps a party leaves at the table when asking for the bill.

This Xmas one hotel in Chiang Mai offered a Xmas brunch for only 250 Baht where most other hotels/restaurants charge you way over.

Too curious and of course farang kee neeaw I booked and had an amasing good brunch including turkey as much as you like. In my chef's days I have never been able to present a tender juicy turkey like those gyus did.

No hussling for drinks, water enough...still possible.

From a chef's point of view? In a typical restaurant, what is the ratio of chefs to customers? So isn't pleasing the customers what matters most? If not. why don't chefs just cook for themselves? I don't like cheap buffets either (well unless by some miracle they are both cheap and good and yes that can exist) and I think people who think the Sizzler buffet is the cat's meow are yahoos. But I like GOOD buffets. BTW, a really good chef can create good flavors from lower cost ingredients.

Edited by Jingthing

From a chef's point of view? In a typical restaurant, what is the ratio of chefs to customers? So isn't pleasing the customers what matters most? If not. why don't chefs just cook for themselves? I don't like cheap buffets either (well unless by some miracle they are both cheap and good and yes that can exist) and I think people who think the Sizzler buffet is the cat's meow are yahoos. But I like GOOD buffets. BTW, a really good chef can create good flavors from lower cost ingredients.

of course the customer is the most important, and the lower cost ingrediants are sometimes the best products to work with, its the way that the products are treated in a buffet that makes them sad, take a simple fresh mussle 90 baht a kilo, cook it and eat it and its delicious, take that same mussle cook it and then let it sit on a buffet for a half hour and its no longer nearly as good as it was when first cooked.

of course the customer is the most important, and the lower cost ingrediants are sometimes the best products to work with, its the way that the products are treated in a buffet that makes them sad, take a simple fresh mussle 90 baht a kilo, cook it and eat it and its delicious, take that same mussle cook it and then let it sit on a buffet for a half hour and its no longer nearly as good as it was when first cooked.

If you go to a 79 baht all you can eat Thai buffet you cook the food yourself. Can't be much more freshly cooked than that, surely?