Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

My chain went loose? Really? That's news to me...

I suspect your EK chain was fake or of very low quality, but also running the new chain with such old sprockets likely accelerated the problem since the pitch or the worn sprockets didn't match the pitch of the new chain.

If you can't find a good brand name chain lube out there in the sticks just use gear oil. Not fancy and flings a bit more than name brand lubes, but it's cheap and works just fine.

Ride On!

Tony

It wasn't as tight as I remember seeing it; wasn't as loose as mbox's or mine but IIRC was not keeping the same tension as the previous day...

But kinda odd that Grant, who's even bigger than you, could still pass you with relative ease on his Ninjette. He's got the Akra exhaust and you've got the powercommander. I think you both have stock gearing and air filters? I think I mentioned to you before that a powercommander on an otherwise stock bike doesn't make much sense. Lose that stock exhaust and load the proper map on your PCV and you should be able to keep up with Grant's Ninjette.

Actually he never passed me with relative ease. In fact we had a friendly stoplight drag race in Phetchabun and I pretty handily (for mid 20 hp bikes lugging around 100 kg guys can be handily) pulled away from him. I also had a higher top end than he but I can't vouch that he had it pinned. There were times when I slowed down and waited for everyone to catch up on the Asia Hwy headed north; perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My chain went loose? Really? That's news to me...

I suspect your EK chain was fake or of very low quality, but also running the new chain with such old sprockets likely accelerated the problem since the pitch or the worn sprockets didn't match the pitch of the new chain.

If you can't find a good brand name chain lube out there in the sticks just use gear oil. Not fancy and flings a bit more than name brand lubes, but it's cheap and works just fine.

Ride On!

Tony

It wasn't as tight as I remember seeing it; wasn't as loose as mbox's or mine but IIRC was not keeping the same tension as the previous day...

You checked the tension of my chain?! Creepy... :ph34r:

But kinda odd that Grant, who's even bigger than you, could still pass you with relative ease on his Ninjette. He's got the Akra exhaust and you've got the powercommander. I think you both have stock gearing and air filters? I think I mentioned to you before that a powercommander on an otherwise stock bike doesn't make much sense. Lose that stock exhaust and load the proper map on your PCV and you should be able to keep up with Grant's Ninjette.

Actually he never passed me with relative ease. In fact we had a friendly stoplight drag race in Phetchabun and I pretty handily (for mid 20 hp bikes lugging around 100 kg guys can be handily) pulled away from him. I also had a higher top end than he but I can't vouch that he had it pinned. There were times when I slowed down and waited for everyone to catch up on the Asia Hwy headed north; perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

Heh heh, you'd like to think so, wouldn't you... :whistling: Grant will have a good chuckle over this one, but up to him if he wants to share how it really went down ;)

• 9 months later...

If this was a 400c 4 pot i would be all over it. But unfortunately my 2012 Ninja 650 will have to do until Honda or Kawasaki bring something with a bit more omphhh out for a reasonable price.

Ohhhh this post takes me upto 1000 now :D

Nope, the CBR didn't have any design influence on that!

post-27441-0-10743300-1343832727_thumb.jpost-27441-0-13408900-1343832739_thumb.j

Multi-layer differently couloured plastics. Bold diamond shape of side plastics. Prominent engine bay exhausts. Headlights look way better than the CBR's as does the dash IMHO. Do wonder if they're going to offer the fuel gauge in some markets and give the temperature gauge in others as they do now...oh and those little cubbyholes above the dial will allow placement of lucky Buddha amulets.rolleyes.gif

If this was a 400c 4 pot i would be all over it. But unfortunately my 2012 Ninja 650 will have to do until Honda or Kawasaki bring something with a bit more omphhh out for a reasonable price.

Ohhhh this post takes me upto 1000 now :D

Yep, this new model looks awesome but I'll hang onto my 2008 model for another couple of years, not worth upgrading unless the performance is significantly better and it's still going to be a 250 twin so there won't be any massive improvements. 2 pots are OK (at least it's not a single) but my GSXR600 is the bike I ride for weekend blasts and I absolutely love it, sounds like you cant get that zx6r out of the system as well.

Way too much talk on this forum about value for money, kpl, HP vs. cost, too much bike for Thailand etc. but all that crap goes out the window when you get an inline 4 consistently over 10k rpm on a nice road. I guess some guys rides bikes because they love bikes, other guys ride bikes because they cost less than a car to run. Both are valid reasons.

Ohhhh this post takes me upto 1000 now biggrin.png

sounds like you cant get that zx6r out of the system as well.

You got that right, i miss my baby and will keep my 2012 Ninja650 until something with a bit more poke arrives smile.png

post-59428-0-49679400-1343835178_thumb.j

post-59428-0-76679400-1343835187_thumb.j

Nope, the CBR didn't have any design influence on that!

post-27441-0-10743300-1343832727_thumb.jpost-27441-0-13408900-1343832739_thumb.j

Multi-layer differently couloured plastics. Bold diamond shape of side plastics. Prominent engine bay exhausts. Headlights look way better than the CBR's as does the dash IMHO. Do wonder if they're going to offer the fuel gauge in some markets and give the temperature gauge in others as they do now...oh and those little cubbyholes above the dial will allow placement of lucky Buddha amulets.rolleyes.gif

I hope you're joking. It's clearly a natural progression from the previous 250 design, taking obvious cues from the latest ZX10. Why would they try and copy the 2 year old universally derided looks of the CBR250?

PS Irony and sarcasm can be hard to detect in text so I apologize if you intended it as such.

• Like 1

Ohhhh this post takes me upto 1000 now biggrin.png

sounds like you cant get that zx6r out of the system as well.

You got that right, i miss my baby and will keep my 2012 Ninja650 until something with a bit more poke arrives smile.png

post-59428-0-49679400-1343835178_thumb.j

post-59428-0-76679400-1343835187_thumb.j

Awesome bikes the zx6r, the current incarnation is a beauty but I only saw it once in Thailand at the Bangkok motor show in 2009 and it wasn't for sale unfortunately :(

• Like 1

I hope you're joking. It's clearly a natural progression from the previous 250 design, taking obvious cues from the latest ZX10. Why would they try and copy the 2 year old universally derided looks of the CBR250?

PS Irony and sarcasm can be hard to detect in text so I apologize if you intended it as such.

No irony or sarcasm intended. Let's put all three pictures side by side and see if it really is a progression or rather a breath of lines from the competition.

post-27441-0-58948800-1343875867_thumb.jpost-27441-0-88547800-1343875880_thumb.jpost-27441-0-66849000-1343875915_thumb.jpost-27441-0-10861000-1343875934_thumb.j

Yeah...I can see exactly how the solid colour lower fairings of both the 2009 250 and and 2012 1000 have that evoke an "S" have evolved into a a black to mimic the CBR. And the way the 2012 250 has its engine bay exhaust way up high rather than the "C" shaped exhaust of the old model and new 1000? Not anything like the CBR's I guess. The way the old model and the 1000 have bold swatches of similar colours? Exactly how the 2012 Ninja puts various stripes of black remeniscent of the CBR's silver. Even the exhaust goes from the black can on the latest 250's and the 1000 to an accent of black a la the CBR's.

Yes, as admitted earlier, the headlights are nicer, it has nicer lines on the pillion, and basketweave will always beat BMX. But I can not understand you not seeing the similarities.

PS; there's an ABS version planned...wonder if it will be a 15 000 THB upgrade the same as the CBR? Or will Kawi do as they did with the 650s and release it for essentially the same price point.

Edited by dave_boo

Black belly pans on Kawasaki models have been around alot longer than the CBR250 has. smile.png

They've had digital dashes, accented exhausts, etc. for longer than the CBR250 did. And yet for nearly 1/2 a decade the kept the Ninja looking the way it did. While there's only so much you can do when designing a bike, it's quite coincidental that the design cues mentioned before culminated all at one time in the 2013 Ninja.

Don't get me wrong; the bike looks exciting. But it sure has to take the jam out of some Kawi lover's doughnut that it could be, and not without reason, argued that the new look owes quite a bit to the CBR250 outselling the rest of Kawasaki's lineup in total. Add in for the 20% increase the 2008 model offered over previous gen's midrange torque (and subsequent 1-5 hp loss off top end), if the rumoured shift in power delivery pans out to be true than you've got an engine putting out CBR power levels in a frame that weighs 9+ kg more.

• 4 months later...

I have a few Month old 2012 Ninja 250, it has not even done 1000 Kms yet, and trying to decide if to buy after market mods to spark the performance slightly, or just sell it and buy a new one ?

Did a search but cant really find the easiest and best way to improve performance slightly ?

After Market Exhaust

Small cog change for a slightly better top end

Electronic Box to release the power slightly better ?

I am sure these have been debated and would think there are certain bits available to do this off the shelf in Pattaya now ?

Any Help appreciated

Thanks

I have a few Month old 2012 Ninja 250, it has not even done 1000 Kms yet, and trying to decide if to buy after market mods to spark the performance slightly, or just sell it and buy a new one ?

Did a search but cant really find the easiest and best way to improve performance slightly ?

After Market Exhaust

I am sure these have been debated and would think there are certain bits available to do this off the shelf in Pattaya now ?

Any Help appreciated

Thanks

I changed the exhaust (Area P full system) and it made a significant different to the mid-range and made the bike sounds loads better. I never dyno'ed' it but it was quite noticable. Other than that, I think the power commander is the next mod to make. You could always change the sprockets but that just sacrifices one area for another - but to be honest I would probably get the new model rather than spend a load on the old model. That new model is just awesome looking IMO, and has a nice note even with the stock exhaust based on the videos I've seen.

• Like 1

After Market Exhaust

Any Help appreciated

Thanks

If you hold a ninja 250, no need to go buy a new ninja 250. Jumping from 250 to another 250 sounds not so reasonable for me just for a new design and stickers. Powerwise but bikes are same. But if you have lots of money why not of course. Or maybe you can jump for a bigger displacement bike.

Just go buy a pipe and chip and enjoy your bike.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

Thanks Guys, will go have a look at the new one and then make a choice, its really only an expensive toy that gets used a couple of times every few months, hence such low mileage, i know the Kawasaki Shop has the parts shop right next door, so will pop in and look

Thanks again appreciated

If you hold a ninja 250, no need to go buy a new ninja 250. Jumping from 250 to another 250 sounds not so reasonable for me just for a new design and stickers. Powerwise but bikes are same. But if you have lots of money why not of course. Or maybe you can jump for a bigger displacement bike.

Yes & no

I mean many folks buy bikes strictly as a passion/hobby

Not unlike many folks who change from a Apple I whatever to the new version.

Basically still just a phone.

Also many do not look only at displacement & many have actually come from larger bikes like myself

so ultimately it is just what turns you on personally or is available compared to what else is available.

For the old ninja's vs the New

The 2013 is the first major change in quite awhile if I have read their history right.

the engine, frame and suspension are all-new

But to Pattayapip just depends on you personally.

If your happy & just want a little more of a certain trait you can always

modify that trait. Just depends what your reasons are.

Edited by mania

Just been and had my 1000 Km service, seen the new 2013 Red and White one and really like it smile.png And like Mania says, it is only a toy for me, something fun to ride albeit very infrequently, now i want one !biggrin.png

So : What is my August 2012 Ninja 250 in Red worth ? (like Brand New Obviously) Taxed and Fully Insured

I dont mind losing some cash :)post-14647-0-77395700-1356072764_thumb.jpost-14647-0-81366500-1356072773_thumb.j

Just been and had my 1000 Km service, seen the new 2013 Red and White one and really like it smile.png And like Mania says, it is only a toy for me, something fun to ride albeit very infrequently, now i want one !biggrin.png

So : What is my August 2012 Ninja 250 in Red worth ? (like Brand New Obviously) Taxed and Fully Insured

I dont mind losing some cash smile.png

You know in your other post when you said your going into the Kawasaki dealer to ask about parts

My first thought was...Uh-Oh...he is going to see the new Ninja & its all over smile.png

price wise I don't know, I do know the Ninja's do hold their value very well.

But selling against the new one is always tough.

Folks with 120-130k may think hmmmm If I just can get the rest.

Hey does Kawasaki do trade in's? Probably not a good price though.

But couldn't hurt to check. Your bike is super clean & as new so that helps.

Edited by mania

I dont mind losing some cash smile.png

You know in your other post when you said your going into the Kawasaki dealer to ask about parts

My first thought was...Uh-Oh...he is going to see the new Ninja & its all over smile.png

price wise I don't know, I do know the Ninja's do hold their value very well.

But selling against the new one is always tough.

Folks with 120-130k may think hmmmm If I just can get the rest.

Hey does Kawasaki do trade in's? Probably not a good price though.

But couldn't hurt to check. Your bike is super clean & as new so that helps.

I did ask them for a price on my old DTracker 3 Years old and 1500 Kms smile.png But they offered 70000 and i sold it for 100000

Have put an ad in Baht and Sold for 120000, see how it goes, i dont mind losing some cash for the new one, should have done my homework before buying it, think this new one will be around 160000, so i dont mind losing 40k or so as a Xmas Gift to myself biggrin.png

Wanted to post this video I found while browsing Ninja vids on You Tube

I think it is between a 09-12 model not sure but that is not the point.

I just found the video entertaining for a few reasons

1- That little twin sounds quite good. Sings nicely & the rider has it WFO most of the time

2- Laguna is a beautiful track with some nice turns & of course the cork screw

3- It is fun to watch this rider. He is like a mosquito. Braking deep

4- The other guys in the Video...especially the guy in black leathers. Maybe two of them I forget.

Anyway that guy looks like he is getting pretty disgusted with this guy

passing him on the inside & outside of any turn possible.

Just an entertaining video

It is just a 250 ninja with fairings, Full Leo Vince Exhaust, Braided brake line & Pirelli Tires

The rider rented the bike from http://feellikeapro.com/the_bikes.html

Anyway entertaining I thought smile.png

Edited by mania

Yes & no

I mean many folks buy bikes strictly as a passion/hobby

Not unlike many folks who change from a Apple I whatever to the new version.

Basically still just a phone.

Also many do not look only at displacement & many have actually come from larger bikes like myself

so ultimately it is just what turns you on personally or is available compared to what else is available.

For the old ninja's vs the New

The 2013 is the first major change in quite awhile if I have read their history right.

the engine, frame and suspension are all-new

But to Pattayapip just depends on you personally.

If your happy & just want a little more of a certain trait you can always

modify that trait. Just depends what your reasons are.

New pistons, cylinders and crankcases. Also, more torque in the mid and low range which should make it more user friendly than the previous model. You'll have to give us a ride report once you've put some miles on it :)
  • Like 2