Stimulus Money To Reach People In March, April: Pm

george

Stimulus money to reach people in March, April: PM

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Wednesday that the B100 billion for economic stimulating will reach the hands of the people in either March or April.

He said the Bt100 billion from the midyear budget would be approved by the Cabinet by January 20 and would be channeled to the people.

The prime minister said he would hole a meeting economic ministerial council on January 7 after meeting the executives of the central bank on Monday and holding meeting of executives of government agencies on Tuesday.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

It will get to the right people. The question is who will it go to first, before it gets to the right people!

that was chuckle worthy :D

the mafia northeast politicians :D or the hard working rice farmers? :o or the rice farmers labourer?? :D or below that the beggars on the street? Edited by dee123

....SERIOUS FOLKS ...I have seen quite decent people giving out housing to the poorest in recent years,..but it must be used to look after the Old folk too....as everything is concreted over gone are the days where a large family can "hunter gatherer"....ie living wage for Thai pensioners,...

Edited by dee123

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Wednesday that the B100 billion for economic stimulating will reach the hands of the people in either March or April.

He said the Bt100 billion from the midyear budget would be approved by the Cabinet by January 20 and would be channeled to the people.

The prime minister said he would hole a meeting economic ministerial council on January 7 after meeting the executives of the central bank on Monday and holding meeting of executives of government agencies on Tuesday.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

That would be Baht 1,538 per Thai.

Considering the average income for labor workers in agriculture (some 49% of the Thai population = 18 million people) is less than Baht 3,500/month it's a welcome extra.

If it will help -long term- is another thing but I assume that most of the Baht 100 Billion is pumped into the economy straight away because, if people get that money cash they will spend it immediately; so we can expect a short but shocky ''economy boom'' in March/April; a lot of that money is taxed as well and will flow back into the wallet of the ministry of finance; after that.......who knows ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It's less than 1% GDP. It's not going to stimulate anything. Not blaming the Govt (although I think they don't have a mandate), but fact is there is a massive recession on the horizon.

In fact I wonder whether it will materialise anyway?

It seems to me that powerful influences would be quite happy if Thailand experienced a return to the feudal economy.

Looking at the environment, maybe they have a point.

The prime minister said he would hole a meeting economic ministerial council [/b] on January 7 after meeting the executives of the central bank on Monday [/b] and holding meeting of executives of government agencies on Tuesday.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

(my highlight above)

So the PM is scheduled to meet Ms Tarisa & her colleagues today.

Fingers-crossed for the overdue end of the Strong-Baht policy, after a short interval of a few days, to think up suitably face-saving excuses ! :o

Edited by Ricardo

It will get to the right people. The question is who will it go to first, before it gets to the right people!

the mafia northeast politicians :D or the hard working rice farmers? :D or the rice farmers labourer?? :D or below that the beggars on the street?

First off , there is too much emphasis on these 'Hard working ' rice farmers , how many hours do they ACTALY work per crop ? Most of the work is by the struggling rice to survive in variable weather and water conditions , on top of this , the majority of 'The hard labour ', if you can call it that , is by the hired help . Show me a Thai who puts in a full day of PRODUCTIVE labour and I will give you a Westerner who produces a minimum of 5 times the END PRODUCT , of better quality . Should Thai learn to work as hard as they play and talk at 'Work ' one may see some definite inprovement in production .

Thailand is one of , if not the , lowest producers of rice per rai , simply because of thier lazy attitude , flame me if you wish , but first take the time to do a comparison of rice production with China , 1,000 kilo as apposed to 350 , if you are lucky , per rai in Thailand . They need a kick up the ass , not any kind of hand out which they will most likely spend on a new phone or some other such toy , they are still but children when it comes to economics , and please no comparisons to the western world , you happen to be living in Thailand and this just happens to be a THAI RELATED FORUM . :o

That's just dumb and demeaning to Thailand as a nation.

Low rice productivity is due to lower amount of fertilizers, "ancient" techniques and small scale procudtion, though rice growing experts might want to correct me on that. I once read that Japanese put in five times more chemicals to get more rice from their fields, and so Japanese rice cost a fortune.

the mafia northeast politicians :D or the hard working rice farmers? :D or the rice farmers labourer?? :D or below that the beggars on the street?

First off , there is too much emphasis on these 'Hard working ' rice farmers , how many hours do they ACTALY work per crop ? Most of the work is by the struggling rice to survive in variable weather and water conditions , on top of this , the majority of 'The hard labour ', if you can call it that , is by the hired help . Show me a Thai who puts in a full day of PRODUCTIVE labour and I will give you a Westerner who produces a minimum of 5 times the END PRODUCT , of better quality . Should Thai learn to work as hard as they play and talk at 'Work ' one may see some definite inprovement in production .

Thailand is one of , if not the , lowest producers of rice per rai , simply because of thier lazy attitude , flame me if you wish , but first take the time to do a comparison of rice production with China , 1,000 kilo as apposed to 350 , if you are lucky , per rai in Thailand . They need a kick up the ass , not any kind of hand out which they will most likely spend on a new phone or some other such toy , they are still but children when it comes to economics , and please no comparisons to the western world , you happen to be living in Thailand and this just happens to be a THAI RELATED FORUM . :o

You're kidding, right? your entire post was a comparison job!

But you're right about hand-outs being useless... there needs to be spending on infrastructure, job creation and education.

the mafia northeast politicians :D or the hard working rice farmers? :o or the rice farmers labourer?? :D or below that the beggars on the street?

With a recession around the corner a large amount of this money needs to reach the tright people to avoid social unrest that would bring the government down. The guys in power and their middlemen power brokers know this and likely move a lot of the dosh down. There will be other schemes to enrich them.

Another point is that while the Dems stand a good chance of being able to hold their strong holds in the south, BKK and the east and lower center their new allies need to reinvent the meme that Thaksin helps you most to a new meme of we can do more than Thaksin. That also will probbaly mean larger amounts of money and development money and loans and populist schemes and forgiveness reaching those at the bottom than ever before. That is isf the government can survice long anough to do it. Politcs and long term power remain central and that is why the Peau Thai and allied red shirts will do everything to bring the government down before they can out populist them. PT will not want to take the chance even with a recession around the corner.

Meanwhile Mr.Chalerm has nothing else to do then to state that the current Government lacked clarity, vision, strategies and direction and "copied" the policies of the previous government.

Nothing new in the land of copies!

Some news from the crystal ball:

" Suchart Thadathamrongvech said yesterday he doubted the government would be able to restore confidence in the country, in terms of tourism and investment.

He said Thailand would need at least Bt700 billion to be injected into the economy, and not Bt300 billion as estimated by the government. The new administration did not have the money and did not know to get it.

"I believe this government will definitely go in six months. You can prepare for a snap election at that time," the former minister said."

He would love to see some 400 billion more on the table, and if the present government "doesn't know where to get the monet from"... how could any other, would Mr.Takky jump in and rescue the poor people? :o

Well, well, well keep this for the records!

Besides the Dem's led government points out that policies were different, including the free-basic education and a pension for the elderly.

Here comes the carrot...let's wait and see...

Low rice productivity is due to lower amount of fertilizers, "ancient" techniques and small scale procudtion, though rice growing experts might want to correct me on that. I once read that Japanese put in five times more chemicals to get more rice from their fields, and so Japanese rice cost a fortune.

It has a lot more to do with it than fertilisers. Technique changes and better soil preparation would improve yields by about 50% alone, but it does take more work also. There are model farms and research stations all over Thailand but the farmers are a stubborn bunch. I know someone who worked in Laos on a agricultural project up there, rice yields were approximately double of Isaan but about the same fertiliser usage.

The government could start with the age old tradition of burning the dam_n fields every harvest. Ruins fertility aside from the pollution it causes.

It has a lot more to do with it than fertilisers. Technique changes and better soil preparation would improve yields by about 50% alone, but it does take more work also. There are model farms and research stations all over Thailand but the farmers are a stubborn bunch. I know someone who worked in Laos on a agricultural project up there, rice yields were approximately double of Isaan but about the same fertiliser usage.

The government could start with the age old tradition of burning the dam_n fields every harvest. Ruins fertility aside from the pollution it causes.

I'd be interested to get more information on this. My perception is that apart from the fixed relationship between inputs and outputs in terms of crop, contingency (especially weather) plays a big part. In recent years rice production in parts of Isaan has been hit by floods. In earlier years drought was a big problem. Then there is the highly saline soil in many areas, which is not easy to correct. Perhaps more hardy varieties (GM?) would help but the conditions seem so extreme at times that there is no easy answer.

For those who are actualy interested in a few FACTS about increasing rice productivity and quality , go to TV section farming/agriculture , it is more time intensive , but some enterprising Farang(?) put in the extra time and study to achieve just that . :o

Plus , when you get around to doing a search where I suggested , your "Dum :D:D b and demeaning " remark will come home to haunt you .

You will find you are the dumb one for not being aware of that which you infer you are knowledgeable about .

You are demeaning the Thai , infering they are too dumb to improve thier yields if they were not so LAZY .

I have done a lot of research on the matter of rice , our production has been raised approximately 25% in quantity and quality , but then , I am not an expert , nor am I in Thailand any more . :D:o

Considering the average income for labor workers in agriculture (some 49% of the Thai population = 18 million people) is less than Baht 3,500/month it's a welcome extra.

If it will help -long term- is another thing but I assume that most of the Baht 100 Billion is pumped into the economy straight away because, if people get that money cash they will spend it immediately; so we can expect a short but shocky ''economy boom'' in March/April; a lot of that money is taxed as well and will flow back into the wallet of the ministry of finance; after that.......who knows ?

LaoPo

Will the cheque be in the post, or do I need to queue up at Mark's office to get it?

LaoPo

Will the cheque be in the post, or do I need to queue up at Mark's office to get it?

:D

From a tax aspect, I myself would prefer cash, but I suspect that neither of us will get the money, being foreigners. :o

Dumball,

this line of yours is both dumb and demeaning:

"Thailand is one of , if not the , lowest producers of rice per rai , simply because of thier lazy attitude ",

and it is YOU who is "infering they are too dumb to improve thier yields'

Dumball,

this line of yours is both dumb and demeaning:

"Thailand is one of , if not the , lowest producers of rice per rai , simply because of thier lazy attitude ",

and it is YOU who is "infering they are too dumb to improve thier yields'

Read and interpret it as you may , but if you read what is written in the farming thread by people who obviously know more than you or I about good productivity in rice farming , you will come to the same conclusion as myself , it takes more time and effort than Thai are prepared to give . You are obviously biased toward the old ways of doing things , being so 'Closely associated ' as a semi native , little to nothing , even under your nose , will change your mind , so you blindly lash out at those who see things in a somewhat different light and have done something about it . A few other posters have belied your reasoning also , but i guess you failed to notice those due to your 'Tunnel vision ' , if you realy have concern , show it and get at IT instead of me , or are you a lard ass also ?

You are obviously biased toward the old ways of doing things

And that is not calling all Thai farmers lazy.

If it was said in any of the Pad/elite topics the poster would have been crucified already.

Jeez, why does it take a right wing fascist elitist like me to point out that rural folks are not lazy?

But if they say so in Thaivisa farming forum than it must be true.

:o

Edited by Plus

Holy cow --- batman!!! Plus is "righter" than are you Dumball--- The largest exporter of rice worldwide certainly needs to improve its output/rai --- which is substantially below par --

But your caviler use of the word "lazy" is misjudged and certainly has naught to do with the relative inefficiency of Thai rice production.

There are many improvements that are urgently required to improve yield --- but the work ethic of the Thai rice farmer is not amongst them.

Demeaning from Dumball ---- yes I believe Plus is right here. :o

If it was said in any of the Pad/elite topics the poster would have been crucified already. Now... now Plus --- you know full well that many unfortunately escaped!!

Jeez, why does it take a right wing fascist elitist like me to point out that rural folks are not lazy? You are too tough on yourself----- you are not right wing! . :D

But if they say so in Thaivisa farming forum than it must be true.

:D

Sorry -- but I am just beside myself with the excitement with being able to agree with Plus!! :o Previous post---dammed well said...sir!!

This discussion of Thai farmers is more stimulating than the stimulus package is likely to be!

Hang on here. Who say money is for poor farmers? It is suppose to be for the RICH BANGKOK ELITE and it has already started.

1. Increase Tax Cut on property (poor people hardly buy property, they build themselves)

2. Extend FREE electric & water (poor people don't even have access to electricity & piped water).

3. Extend tax cut on Gasohol (who drive the big new car that can take gasohol? poor people most drive old car & motocyle which CANNOT take gasohol as it swell their engine rubber parts)

4. Tax incentive for investing in stock market (OK, the increase of LTF limit was PPP idea, original idea was TRT to push up SHIN & ADVANC stock price before the SOB sold it to the S'porean who is stuip enough to see their investment halfs almost immediately)

5. Etc etc.

OK, some meatless bone might be left for the poor farmers.

Edited by samgrowth