1 Baht Coins

G54

I got sick of finding thse pesky little coins in pockets and wherever I used to leave them. For the last 6 months or so I have been saving my 1 Baht coins in a large, plastic marmalade jar.

When I asked the g/f if her baby son has a bank account the answer was yes. I handed over the jar of 1 Baht coins and asked if she would either get them changed or take them to the bank and have the money put into the babies bank account.

The g/f changed the money at the shop where she worked and brought home 700 Baht. She gave me the money back!!! Thought it was too much. I was surprised there was that much and asked her to put it into the babies account anyway. Was no loss to me.

Next day she brought the bank book with the 700 deposited to show me.

Now I have another 250 Baht in 1 Baht coins and they will be getting put into the account too. I do not miss the pesky coins and the baby benefits.

So, what do you do with your 1 Baht coins?

Baht bus in Pattaya. Its fun to use them because it annoys the drivers as they have to count them.

Any coin smaller than 1 baht I also put in a jar. I consider those useless. I don't think even beggars would welcome them.

Edited by Jingthing

1 baht coins get spent.

It's those darn 25/50 satang coins that are pain. Colleted up a bunch of them one time counted them up into to 10 baht bunches helt together with tape. Took them to the bank and they wouldn't even take them.

Ended up taking them to the grocery store and changed them.

They should abolish the satang coins.

If you think about it 50 satang is 1 english penny.

Anyway I use satang in Friendship/Tops/Carrefour because my bill always comes to something 25/50 or 75 I look at the total on the till and give a thousand baht plus the satang. The secret is never to go shopping without 75 satang in your pocket.

Otherwise I would never get rid of them. Beggars don't want them even a handfull.

I usually give 10 or 20 baht to the seriously disabled beggars missing limbs. There is a bloke or should I say half a man (since his legs have been completely disarticulated) at Soi Bukhaw market I regularly give 20 baht to, because I have no idea how he copes with his life.

One Baht coins I actually need, for the water machines (Reverse Osmosis) it being 1 Baht per litre.

If the Aussies can round off to the nearest 5 cent coin (they abolished their 1 cent coins long ago) I think the Thais can handle rounding off to the nearest baht. The only place I have ever been given satangs is at grocery stores. Probably the satangs are kept for more traditional than practical reasons. Many Americans for example would freak out if they killed the penny, but most of them end of in jars (the pennies, not the Americans).

Edited by Jingthing

If the Aussies can round off to the nearest 5 cent coin (they abolished their 1 cent coins long ago) I think the Thais can handle rounding off to the nearest baht. The only place I have ever been given satangs is at grocery stores. Probably the satangs are kept for more traditional than practical reasons. Many Americans for example would freak out if they killed the penny, but most of them end of in jars (the pennies, not the Americans).

But suppose your monthly shopping bill is 6,000 Baht and that 25% of the items you buy end 25/50/75 satang then these will be rounded upwards following the death of the satang.

This would mean a possible gross loss of 120 baht per month which is a 2% loss. Over a year that would amount to 1,440 baht: Enough for a decent night out on December 31st.....

If they are abolished we would all lose, the profits would return to the shopkeepers. Plus as the UK pound is set to go sub 50 Baht in 2009 I reject the idea until 50 satang is work less than 1/2 a UK penny. It is still worth 1 UK penny and is set to appreciate.

I got sick of finding thse pesky little coins in pockets and wherever I used to leave them. For the last 6 months or so I have been saving my 1 Baht coins in a large, plastic marmalade jar.

When I asked the g/f if her baby son has a bank account the answer was yes. I handed over the jar of 1 Baht coins and asked if she would either get them changed or take them to the bank and have the money put into the babies bank account.

The g/f changed the money at the shop where she worked and brought home 700 Baht. She gave me the money back!!! Thought it was too much. I was surprised there was that much and asked her to put it into the babies account anyway. Was no loss to me.

Now I have another 250 Baht in 1 Baht coins and they will be getting put into the account too. I do not miss the pesky coins and the baby benefits.

why did u give us so many details about your gf "then she showed me the deposit slip" who cares? this post is strangely like one of those weird posts where its like guys are convincing themselves of something completely unrelated to the op.

why did u give us so many details about your gf "then she showed me the deposit slip" who cares? this post is strangely like one of those weird posts where its like guys are convincing themselves of something completely unrelated to the op.

Maybe because she and the baby were half the point of what I found to do with the 1 baht coins. Maybe uneccessary detail, but the point was about those pesky little coins.

If you really want to pick nits, there are a few Thai people would be happy to sit for you.

My satongs go in the bin. Cannot be bothered to even carry those around when I go to 7/11.

Maybe a year or so ago I had some satongs mixed with a bag of change that was handed out at some party or other. The satongs were handed back in the bag. That made me think they were looked upon as almost worthless.

My satongs go in the bin. Cannot be bothered to even carry those around when I go to 7/11.

Maybe a year or so ago I had some satongs mixed with a bag of change that was handed out at some party or other. The satongs were handed back in the bag. That made me think they were looked upon as almost worthless.

At the local temple, they "rent" satang coins for merit making - you drop one in each metal pot in a long line (not sure why), but I am sure they would appreciate the extras

Exchange them for two baht coins.

Hi

In the past I rarely ever got a 2 baht coin, but now I notice I get them on a more regular basis , especially from 7-11

Is this a sign of inflation and BOT preparing the masses for the future hike in living cost's?

TBWG :o

My wife tips her purse upside down at the check out and lets lets the lady take what is needed to make up the payment or changes them at the local food shop who are very happy to have them...of course this is after she decides that the weight of her hambag has made her arm ache!!.

There are some in the ash trays of both vehicles. They come in handy for parking or using some pay toilets. Other than that, I don't have to worry about ANY coins. They disappear overnight after I empty my pockets before going to bed. :o

<br />Exchange them for two baht coins.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Good one! I think the 2-baht coin has got to be one of the stupidest minting decisions ever made.<br /><br /><br />I have been putting 1-10 baht coins in a plastice container on my dresser for quite a whiles , there must be a couple thousand 1 baht coins in there right now. Plan to put them in bags of 100 each and go to the bank some day. <br /> Edited by Beacher

I also have a ton. I use my 1 bahts on the water machines and when I park my motorbike at places that charge. I also have been saving in a jar, as they add up faster than I can use, and will eventually deposit into my newborn son's bank account. The satongs I get when I shop at Tops, Tesco, Carfour, etc., I drop in those bins (usually for particular hill tribes).

When I moved from Bangkok to Hua Hin in 1994, I decided to give all the 25 and 50 satang coins I had saved to a beggar. Now of course there is never a beggar around when you need one, I had to walk a long way before I finally spotted one. I thought he would be pleasantly surprised to be handed a bag with a few kilos of coins, but at first he was reluctant to accept my generous donation. At the time I didn't know most beggars are working for begging agencies, who probably turn up their noses for these small coins.

Right now, running a tourist business, I always save up a couple of thousand 1 Baht pieces during the high season. When I go to my wife's Isaan hometown, shops there are happy to exchange them for banknotes. Up there, there is a shortage of 1 baht coins, you occasionally get candy as change instead of 1 Baht coins.

Edited by keestha