Vd Infection

roderick17

When I'm in Thailand, I'm normally very cautious about wearing condoms, when meeting someone new. Alas, on one night - and only that one night - I didnt wear a condom and I have now paid for that indescretion by having picked up a venerial infection. I definately have acquired a case of gonorhea or the clap. Recognizing the symptoms, I went to my local GP who prescribed a course of Ciprofloxacin. Unfortunately, this particular drug does not seem to be strong enough to knock out this infection.

Next week, I will return to my GP with the bad news. Does anyone have information of what drug treatment program is best to use for this condition so that I can discuss this with him ??

Roderick :o

Edited by roderick17

When I'm in Thailand, I'm normally very cautious about wearing condoms, when meeting someone new. Alas, on one night - and only that one night - I didnt wear a condom and I have now paid for that indescretion by having picked up an venerial infection. I definately have a acquired a case of gonorhea or the clap. Recognizing the symptoms, I went to my local GP who prescribed a course of Ciprofloxacin. Unfortunately, this particular drug does not seem to be strong enough to knock out this infection.

Next week, I will return to my GP with the bad news. Does anyone have information of what drug treatment program is best to use for this condition so that I can discuss this with him ??

Roddick

We all make mistakes If I were you I would check into a major hospital and have tests done there rather the a GP

For peace of mind, as well as good medical treatment, I would go to a major hospital and get as much information on your condition as possible. So that you know exactly what the dicease is, what the immediate treatment is, what on going treatment will be etc etc. Ask many questions so that you understand as much as possible. Some doctors just mumble a bit and write a prescription so that you walk out just knowing that you have to take some pills each day. Hence the confusion/consternation when they don't work. BTW, usually you have to fully complete a course of antibiotics before you see much result.

I personally wouldn't put too much store in what anybody other than a qualified medical practioner has to suggest.

This reminds me of a mate years ago when I used to work as a doorman. My boss caught a dose and went to the docs. Got his medicine and normally, yes he'd had quite a few doses so knew the script, after a few days the symptoms stopped. This time they didn't. he went back to said doc and complained the drugs he'd been given were crap. Ater taking a look the doc assured him that the drugs had indeed cleared up the Gonnoreah, they just needed to work on the syphilis now :o

Alas, on one night - and only that one night - I didnt wear a condom and I have now paid for that

Not as bad as a mate of mine.

Back from Cambodia he noticed his unit changing color. Went to the hospital, doctor there said "Cambodian rot, need to amputate".

Of course my mate was freaked so went to a GP for a second opinion. GP confirmed Cambodian rot, but then told my mate "those doctors at the hospital, always after money..................no need to amputate..............it will fall off"

It was no joke to my mate. He ended up giving it to his missus and she left him and took him for a shed load of money and the house. On a serious not you need to go to see a doctor as soon as possible. It could be more than you are presuming ?

When I'm in Thailand, I'm normally very cautious about wearing condoms, when meeting someone new. Alas, on one night - and only that one night - I didnt wear a condom and I have now paid for that indescretion by having picked up a venerial infection. I definately have acquired a case of gonorhea or the clap. Recognizing the symptoms, I went to my local GP who prescribed a course of Ciprofloxacin. Unfortunately, this particular drug does not seem to be strong enough to knock out this infection.

Go to any reasonable hospital for a good diagnosis - St louis is often mentioned on these boards. I don't think the cost will be high.

Don't feel despondent, there are a number of treatment options, you could find that a simple antibiotic such as doxy is able to finish the matter within 48 hours. There are a number of bacterial infections that might produce the same symptoms.

I think a moderator will give a definitive answer.

Based on my own experience maybe you should visit one of the local clinics located near the areas of 'prurient night life'. They certainly have a lot of experience in these things. The doctor at the clinic near Patpong can take a swab sample and identify the bacteria while you wait, and then prescribe the correct antibiotic (probably one or two jabs). If you are unsure if you are still infected he can put your mind at rest with the results of the swab test.

Good luck.

Based on my own experience maybe you should visit one of the local clinics located near the areas of 'prurient night life'. They certainly have a lot of experience in these things. The doctor at the clinic near Patpong can take a swab sample and identify the bacteria while you wait, and then prescribe the correct antibiotic (probably one or two jabs). If you are unsure if you are still infected he can put your mind at rest with the results of the swab test.

Good luck.

This is a good suggestion IMHO, and I must admit this is something I have done b4.

You don't say what country you are currently in so it's hard to offer advice. If you're in the UK then STDs are not generally dealt with by a GP but by the sexual health clinic of your local hospital. That's why your GP made the awful mistake of giving you cipro (which is specifically not recommended for infections caught in Thailand because most strains of gonorrhoea here are resistant to cipro). The advice about azithromycin from dekka007 is incorrect. The standard treatment for gonorrhoea is an injection of ceftriaxone (into you bottom I'm afraid). What you need to do first though is go to a sexual health clinic and get a swab done because before there can be treatment there needs to be a correct diagnosis.

The advice about azithromycin from dekka007 is incorrect

Bumrungrad and Samitivej will give that in oral antibiotic. IF you read the patient leaflet in the box it says 1g in single dose for urinary tract, gonorrehoea and chlaymdia....

SO not that incorrect actually :o

The advice about azithromycin from dekka007 is incorrect

Bumrungrad and Samitivej will give that in oral antibiotic. IF you read the patient leaflet in the box it says 1g in single dose for urinary tract, gonorrehoea and chlaymdia....

SO not that incorrect actually :o

Point to where in the patient leaflet it says that 1g of azithromycin is an appropriate treatment for gonorrhoea.

Have a look at pfizer patient leaflet in the zithromax box available for sale in chemists or prescribed by leading hospitals in THAILAND (Why would i lie???).

You will see or read:

At the end of the day there are numerous antibiotics available to treat Gon. Just so happens that the antibiotic i mentioned is one of them at a dosage of 1gram........so the information is not incorrect.

Edited by dekka007

Have a look at pfizer patient leaflet in the zithromax box available for sale in chemists or prescribed by leading hospitals in THAILAND (Why would i lie???).

You will see or read:

At the end of the day there are numerous antibiotics available to treat Gon. Just so happens that the antibiotic i mentioned is one of them at a dosage of 1gram........so the information is not incorrect.

The first link you provide specifically states that 1g of azithromycin is not suitable for the treatment of gonorrhoea:

"At the same time, an antibiotic such as ceftriaxone, injected into a muscle, is given to treat gonorrhea..."

You're confusing chlamydia treatment with gonorrhoea treatment. 1g of azithromycin is not and has never been an appropriate treatment for gonorrhea. There was once some experimentation with 2g but this is not currently recommended due to antibiotic resistance.

A friend of mine ( oh alright.it was me ! ) caught a dose in phuket, was on way to bkk so went into a doctor opposite the mandarin hotel , 1 jab and 24 hours on and i was like a new one !,. in the uk its 3 week wait in the surgery with likewise punters for embarrasment punishment ! :o ( so im told ) :D

1 gram of Zithromax around 540 baht for Chlamydia

250g shot (slow push) of Rocefin for gonohrea. Gonorhea has reached "super bug" status and due to this, Rocefin is now considered the drug of choice.

Cipro is a very harsh antibiotic.

I wish you luck, and glove up.

Before continuing with what works with what , would it not be more pertinant for Roderick to get properly diagnosed as to which STD he has in fact , as apposed to personal gestimation ? The FBI man always said " The facts maám , give me the facts " :o:D

Before continuing with what works with what , would it not be more pertinant for Roderick to get properly diagnosed as to which STD he has in fact , as apposed to personal gestimation ? The FBI man always said " The facts maám , give me the facts " :o:D

Agree, it is not clear from the OP that a proper work up (which ionvolves a swab and test of the discharge) was done

A few other observations:

- Gonorrhea and chlaymidia can be hard to distinguish on clinical signs alone. And both can sometimes be confused with NSu

- Strains of STDs in Thailand are resistant to many of the usual drugs, so the fact that something is listed in the literature as treating these conditions does not mean it will be effective for strains acquired here

- Newer and more resistant strains emerging all the time

- as one poster said, a GP is not appropriate, need a specialits in STDs who is familiar with drug resistance patterns in Thailand

If in Thailand the OP would do well to go to the Red Cross Clinic in Bangkok

If back home, a doc specializing in STDs or a dedicated STD clinic and make sure they know you poicked it up in Thailand and are familiar with the sensitivity patterns there