So What Happens If I Dont Pay A Fine Issued By The Police?

Wedlock187

Fined the other day - No licence, and some garbage about doing a U-turn.

He had some fat, balding, black, Thai bloke trying to gain brownie points by pointing out offenders.

Anyway, the <snip> took my expired Australian drivers licence... and said he said "I'll wait for you here"

I just went home and tore, chewed on it until it was totally unrecognisable and spat it off the balcony.

Who knows what germs I ended up with.

I didn't go back to the cop or to the police station and don't plan to either.

So, what happens now??

Do they hunt me down and put me in jail???

Do they list me at immigration so when I return to Thailand it comes up after they've sighted my passport?

Or does nothing happen??

A Thai friend told me that because the motorbike is in my girlfriends name, the fine will come up when she renews the motorbike licence and she can just say she doesn't know who I am and that she hires the motorbike out to stupid farangs.

Whats the worst that could happen and what is most likely to occur.

Thanks for the responses

Edited by PeaceBlondie
Removed profanity.

i predict that you will remain a human being leaking anger and resentment from every pore and that no matter how many times you are stopped by the police , and no matter how many times you dont pay the fines for doing illegal u-turns you will end up a lonely and nasty old man.

have a nice day.

Thanks for the responses

its a pleasure.

Edited by taxexile

Yup ^^^

Additionally, the wheels of justice will grind into motion and your GF will likely find her bike impounded until the fine is paid.

Since you broke the law why not pay the (nominal) fine? EDIT Ah, you ate the ticket, what would happen back home if you did that?

Edited by Crossy

He had some fat, balding, black, Thai bloke trying to gain brownie points by pointing out offenders.

Anyway, the prick took my expired Australian drivers licence... and said he said "I'll wait for you here"

I just went home and tore, chewed on it until it was totally unrecognisable and spat it off the balcony.

So, what happens now??

Do they list me at immigration so when I return to Thailand it comes up after they've sighted my passport?

Or does nothing happen??

A Thai friend told me that because the motorbike is in my girlfriends name, the fine will come up when she renews the motorbike licence and she can just say she doesn't know who I am and that she hires the motorbike out to stupid farangs.

Thanks for the responses

You don't get deported. :o

i predict that you will remain a human being leaking anger and resentment from every pore and that no matter how many times you are stopped by the police , and no matter how many times you dont pay the fines for doing illegal u-turns you will end up a lonely and nasty old man.

have a nice day.

Thanks for the responses

its a pleasure.

:o:D Taxexile I like your style!

So, driving with an expired license and making what sounds like an illegal u-turn, and you're upset because a traffic cop did his job ?

Makes me wonder what you would do if you, being unlicensed and all (and probably not covered by insurance) if you actually got into an accident.

Additionally, the wheels of justice will grind into motion and your GF will likely find her bike impounded until the fine is paid.

I have never heard of a vehicle being confiscated, but I guess it might happen for a small one like a bike.

IME nothing will happen until the end of the year when you want to renew the vehicle licence, Tabien Lod.

Then you will be told you cannot until you have been to the police station and paid the fine,

which will now have a penalty attached for not paying on time.

Much better to pay the fine at the time, negotiating a "discount".

The other alternative is if you have an influential friend who can take the ticket to the

police station and get it waived, or at least discounted.

Anyway, the <snip> took my expired Australian drivers licence... and said he said "I'll wait for you here"

So, what happens now??

Do they hunt me down and put me in jail???she doesn't know who I am and that she hires the motorbike out to stupid farangs.

Or does nothing happen??

A Thai friend told me that because the motorbike is in my girlfriends name, the fine will come up when she renews the motorbike licence and she can just say

Thanks for the responses

"fat balding black, Thai Bloke" you sound a bit racist to me my friend. You are lucky or this is a made up story, in most cases a cop worth his SALT would not let you walk away saying he would wait for you, you must leave something that will insure your return pal, i.e. your car, your bike, mobile. Beware they have your name on their copy of the ticket, along with the make and modle of what you were driving. HINT Buddy: Watch your back, enlist the help of a mate just in case you need to be bail OUT> :D:D:o:D

"fat balding black, Farang Bloke" you sound a bit racist to me my friend.

Why,that's me!impolite,yes,but racist?

You are lucky or this is a made up story, in most cases a cop worth his SALT would not let you walk away saying he would wait for you, you must leave something that will insure your return pal, i.e. your car, your bike, mobile.

A cop"Worth his SALT" in Thailand? Or anywhere else? If you're worth your salt,no need to join the Force.

Beware they have your name on their copy of the ticket, along with the make and modle of what you were driving. HINT Buddy: Watch your back, enlist the help of a mate just in case you need to be bail OUT> :D:wai::o:P

The name in Thai or Roman?Either way no chance for the BiB. :D :D :D

Thanks for the responses

The worst - the cop shows up at your door with a couple of friends, ties you up, and beat the living crap out of you, before taking out a 9mm and popping a cap in your ass.

Most likely - nothing, except you will remain as Mr. Taxexile stated above - a human being leaking anger and resentment from every pore and that no matter how many times you are stopped by the police , and no matter how many times you dont pay the fines for doing illegal u-turns you will end up a lonely and nasty old man.

So, what happens now??

Or does nothing happen??

Thanks for the responses

Are you on any sort of medication?

If not, you should seriously consider it.

No answer yet to the amount of the fine, so let me guess. 1000 Bht maximum. What I cannot believe is that anybody would compromise the chance of themselves staying here for 1000 Bht (or maybe less). Giving the police an expired licence was worse than a current one. I take it that your real name is on the expired licence. The police may not bother, but now you have displayed another crime, driving with no licence. Could the police now put your name on the immigration computer?? maybe, I don't know. It all just seems a little bit unnecessarily ...angry. Jai yen yen!

Edited by Tigs

So, driving with an expired license and making what sounds like an illegal u-turn, and you're upset because a traffic cop did his job ?

Makes me wonder what you would do if you, being unlicensed and all (and probably not covered by insurance) if you actually got into an accident.

Same as all those other unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured Thai motorcycle drivers I expect!!

i got a ticket 4months ago, i didnt have my druver's nor my helmet..

Never paid it, nothing.

but im not dumb enough to have the plate at my own address

Anyways cops are too busy to look at motorcycle plates, with the thousand of stolen motorcycles and none ever being retreived.. they gonna memorise mine for a simple ticket?

they dont even stop me when i dont have my helmet on, they're to busy grabing's each other's junk while their driving on their little motorcycle