Baht Bus Confidential: True Life Experiences From The Front Lines

Jingthing

This thread inspired by a recent column in Pattaya Today. In it, the author recounts some real life experiences taking the baht buses of late, all pretty bad. His theory is that given this is a slow high season the drivers are much more desperate than usual as they do rely on fat high season pickings from free spenders such as Russian tourist charters and the pickings are thinner this year. Well the tourist numbers have picked up recently, but the drivers are still in a greedy frame of mind in my experience.

What are your experiences during the CURRENT HIGH SEASON? The good, bad, and the ugly. Is the Pattaya Today writer correct, that the behavior is stranger than in previous high seasons?

I don't consider normal efficient service worth recounting as we should expect that. I am talking about the experiences outside the expected service without incident.

My recent experiences:

1. Took a standard Pattaya Tai queue bus to inner Jomtien. I handed to driver a 10 baht coin, the standard fare of course. He grabbed my hand to hold it in the truck! He didn't say a word and didn't ask for more money, just held my hand, Naturally I freaked out knowing he might drive off and cause me injury so I aggressively pulled my hand away and also managed a quick curse (in English). Conditioned reaction on my part, of course. Strange, don't you think?

2. Drivers are now more often pushing people to pay 20 baht for rides from inner Jomtien to Pattaya Klang. That is not the correct fare. The correct fare is 10 baht.

3. This is kind of the biggest story. The taxi boys at Pattaya Tai queue have become much more obnoxious than usual. They are screaming at people in Thai (including people who don't understand Thai), they are physically pushing people to "move inside" when there is no logical reason for them to do so (the open spaces are visible to anyone with sight). Tonight, one young man in particular (who is almost always there) was extremely drunk and very aggressive in his abuse of passengers. A number of passengers were resisting this lout (with good cause) and of course he just got more obnoxious. This queue is a major transport hub for Pattaya-Jomtien tourism. And yet they allow people with such poor people skills to man it. Something seems really wrong here for a city trying to promote repeat tourism.

What are YOUR baht bus high season specific experiences that are out of the ordinary (normal expected service is not news)?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hop on and then ring bell little past where I want to go - drop them 10bht and off I go. :o

Let me repeat the crux of the OP. Reports about NORMAL, non-eventful expected experiences such as that are not really the topic. Not to be rude, but we have heard that a hundred times. I have never heard of the drivers grabbing on to people's hands and holding them in the truck before it actually happened to me. Especially bizarre when the correct fare was paid, the fare on the queue buses to inner Jomtien is non-controversial, it is 10 baht for both Thais and farangs.

Edited by Jingthing

one time I jumped on to a baht bus just up the road from walking street and a little way around the corner on 2nd road, wanting to go to Gullivers. and the driver drove straight and then all of a sudden he turned right down some little soi, so I assumed I was on the wrong bus and jumped off again, and to that he reversed and carried on down 2nd road. guess he did not want me on the bus? he never said a word to me, but I did get the point.

This reminds me of another thread, where it seems a couple of people are continuously being harassed and almost run over by time share touts, seemingly on a daily basis, while others in the same area never encounter them at all.

Kind of like some people that never seem to have a problem with baht buses or their drivers, while others seem to have a problem every time they get near one.

Curiouser and curiouser. :o

Actually the Pattaya Tai-Jomtien taxi drivers are getting more aggressive. It is probably due to the slow-down in tourism. 10 Baht should be the fare, but male drivers demand 20 baht and after sunset it is more dangerous.

I try to look at the whole situation philosophically: It is still good value for money.

Recently in the UK I paid 2.20 GBP for a bus ride lasting eight minutes.

I agree most baht bus drivers are bad, but in the hot humid months ahead.... 10/20 baht for a few miles is good value.

I'm amazed that westerners who would demand prison sentences for parents who fail to properly secure their children with proper baby seats and seat belts in cars at home jump, grinning like cheshire cats, with their kids into the back of these farm trucks often driven by half drunk muppets with no concept of safety.

When family visits the lack of safe public transport is a major issue solved only by hiring an extra car with a driver, as I would in most parts of Africa. It just reinforces Thailand's third world status as a tourist destination.

I'm amazed that westerners who would demand prison sentences for parents who fail to properly secure their children with proper baby seats and seat belts in cars at home jump, grinning like cheshire cats, with their kids into the back of these farm trucks often driven by half drunk muppets with no concept of safety.

When family visits the lack of safe public transport is a major issue solved only by hiring an extra car with a driver, as I would in most parts of Africa. It just reinforces Thailand's third world status as a tourist destination.

What real choice do tourists have? Its not as if there is a taxi meter system here.

Again, from Jomtien Hotmale of the Pattaya Today rag:

as an aside, what a great non event the metered taxi in Pattaya has been. These Bangkok style metered taxis quietly launched here. But taxi drivers refuse to use the meter and chance their luck with highly quoted fares. Certainly one to avoid until they get their act in order. This does not inspire usage or confidence and makes the songteuw baht bus, err taxi, seem that much more attractive. Lady boy pick pockets permitting!
Edited by Jingthing

Good: Starting to walk from Beach Road up a soi towards Big C (Soi 2 or 3 I think), driver said to just get on the taxi and no charge. Once opposite Big C on 2nd Road, as he was about to drive off, I gave him 5 baht anyway, which got a polite thank you and a smile. So there are some good drivers out there.

Bad: Really to do with the customers; Getting on the baht taxi with some shopping and baby, other taxi customers (sometimes both Thai and farang) will happily move towards the rear of the taxi causing me to go inside and sit next to the driver's rear window, really awkward, especially if the taxi starts moving again before seated, people just don't think. Likewise with a pram (or suit case as I've seen with others), just don't seem to understand that the large item can sit on either side of the step on/off platform and you can sit on the end of the bench seat holding the item so it doesn't fall off, allowing other people to freely move on and off the taxi. Even putting the pram on the end and then having to explain to the people sitting on the end seat if I could sit there, sometimes met with - oh... yes... of course, and other times with confused looks. Some people are just totally oblivious to what's going on around them.

Certainly I've recently noticed an increase in baht taxis that will stop to pick up customers, but are really wanting a ฿100 rental, so as customers are about to get on the taxi, it pulls away again as the driver is not interested in just ฿10 or ฿20 fares. Some tourists are left a little perplexed. One amusing example I've seen was someone about to step onto the taxi as it pulled away, they still went through the motions and ended up stumbling a bit, but gave a little smile afterwards.

Certainly I've recently noticed an increase in baht taxis that will stop to pick up customers, but are really wanting a ฿100 rental, so as customers are about to get on the taxi, it pulls away again as the driver is not interested in just ฿10 or ฿20 fares. Some tourists are left a little perplexed. One amusing example I've seen was someone about to step onto the taxi as it pulled away, they still went through the motions and ended up stumbling a bit, but gave a little smile afterwards.

Yes, this is common. Its happened to me a number of times. They stop. I approach. They speed off. Its kind of fun in a sick and twisted way but sometimes I wonder if they are playing games with that also, after all, its a boring job.

For someone with A LOT of time on their hands, that may make a really cool youtube video. A compilation of perplexed tourists approaching baht buses to board and then having the bus speed off. Maybe not as big a hit as the shrimp on a treadmill ...

Edited by Jingthing

On New Years Day I made a trip from Jomtien to Pattaya early afternoon, and traffic was heavy along Jomtien Beach Road, even though half of the beach chairs seemed empty. "Oh, well," I thought. But...

On the way home, I boarded a baht bus at the infamous Pattaya Tai queue and the bus lurched into motion, but at the Third Road junction, turned left. I could see up Thappraya Road, and it seemed like it was wide open, so not sure why the driver would take a bypass route and if so, where he would re-join the regular route. On impulse, I rang the bell and got off and paid the driver B10 anyway. Big mistake.

Have you ever tried to catch a baht bus on Thappraya Road by Third Road heading into Jomtien? They're all FULL! After nine buses passed me by (none of which turned on to Third Road), I was able to hitch a ride on the bumper (standing at the rear) of the tenth bus.

When we got to the Hanuman Statue, he turned left and headed toward and past the tax office and turned down Soi 5 heading toward Beach Road. Understandable, as he probably was just trying to avoid congestion heading toward and past the police box at Dongtan Beach.

BUT, he went halfway down Soi 5, pulled into a hotel and reversed course, heading back toward Pattaya!

So, I again got off, paid B10 without a smile and walked to Beach Road, to catch my *third* baht bus to take me into Jomtien.

I know many folks would not have paid both of the first two buses, but one of my New Year resolutions is to be less confrontational. :o

Hop on and then ring bell little past where I want to go - drop them 10bht and off I go. :D

Let me repeat the crux of the OP. Reports about NORMAL, non-eventful expected experiences such as that are not really the topic. Not to be rude, but we have heard that a hundred times. I have never heard of the drivers grabbing on to people's hands and holding them in the truck before it actually happened to me. Especially bizarre when the correct fare was paid, the fare on the queue buses to inner Jomtien is non-controversial, it is 10 baht for both Thais and farangs.

perhaps it was not a matter of money but he had a crush on you? :o

If you are going to Jomtien, avoid the line of theives at the lights, they will not go any where untill over full. I usually wait on Pattaya Thai beside the lane they turn into 2nd rd from and hail a bus coming from walking street. They are usually not full and the driver is headed to Jomtien, so they appreciate the extra fare. These ones are usually happy to accept 10B unless you go to the near the police box waaay up Beach Rd then they want 20B, some will accept 10B but will mutter something you don't want translated.

Coming the other way can be problematic. :o

Jinthing, It is my understanding that from jomtien to pattaya tai it is 10 baht and if you go past pattaya tai that is considered another ride and it is an additional 10 baht

a couple of nights ago i got on the songtaow in jomtien and instead of going to walking street he turned up 3rd road. I was pissed off and hit the button, we got off and didnt pay, had to walk back to the route to take another baht bus the rest of the way. the original driver didnt say a word about us not paying. he had several russians in there and i guess he was going a special route for them so he shouldnt have picked us up

Well, I wish I could add something. But the OP keeps demanding that we complain, and never mention when things go right. My first time in Pattaya, we had a van and dedicated driver. Next time, we got around without baht buses, mostly on foot. And the rest of the time, we enjoyed the real Thailand. Ten baht songtaews in Hua Hin, or private taxis (great service). Tuk tuks and songtaews in Chiang Mai, not operated by thieves. We have metered taxis now, I hear, and air/con city buses. But I am spoilt, and ride myself, or we ride in our car or pickup.

So, nothing to bitch about. I guess I should just complain about bad hamburgers in Chiang Mai.

as i understand it when you jump on a baht bus you take your chances that he/she will go exactly where you want to go,for a price of 10 baht,if you want them to go specifically to your destination you pay extra.never had a problem if the guy goes of in another direction,ring the bell and jump off,get another and pay another 10baht,thats the system and its pretty good,i remember getting a baht bus from jomtien to soi 6 off 2nd. road for 10 baht.............a bargain,maybe farang should be charged double the thai price to help them in hard times,could anyone really complain at 20 baht a trip?well yes i guess we could,maybe charge 20 baht for long hauls like jomtien to pattaya.

Its not as if there is a taxi meter system here.

yes there is...

in the years i've been here i've only been on a bus about 5 times i think, and every time it was fine.

just another topic of whining since there's nothing else to do. its not like a random topic on a forum is going to change anything.

We are paying dbl - its actually 5bht. :o

I thought the fares changed a while back. I recall a couple of girls telling me that they paid 10 baht as well (even when travelling alone, or just with other Thais).

Kerry -- You're correct that the fares did increase to have all people pay 10 baht. But about a month ago the city lowered teh fares in agreement with the Baht Bus Association.

What that meant of course, is its now back to double pricing with the Thais allowed to pay 5 baht. But, of course, you also won't have any driver actually tell you (or an overpaying Thai) they've paid too much and have you noticed the red and white fare signs have disappeared from nearly all the songthaews?

As for the OP, you're incorrect on point 2. The correct fare from inner Jomtien to Central Pattaya has always been 20 baht. THat's a cheap ride. If you're complaining about paying that, then ....

Let me get this right. You are complaining over a 5 baht difference in price?

no i dont think anyone's complaining,just trying to establish the correct fare,i think the thread originally asked if anyone had had bad experiences with baht bus drivers,jingthing had his hand held too long by the driver and he got concerned,someone suggested maybe his luck had changed!

Let me get this right. You are complaining over a 5 baht difference in price?

:D

You'll find after a while, that the whole "5 baht/10 baht" Baht Bus pricing scheme is one of the longest running, and often most argumentative discussions throughout Pattaya.

Chat forums and newspapers seem to routinely have people complaining as though this was thee biggest, most controversial, worst thing ever to happen (or be happening) in the history of Pattaya.

Of course, it's never about the "5 baht" itself (contrary to what many seem to argue). It always about the "dual-pricing" and the racist aspect of that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that for most though, it really is about the "5 baht" though, and they use the "dual-pricing/racist" argument as a smokescreen. :o