Parcels Not Arriving To Thailand

jimmybkk

maybe the staff in the post office can not read english, maybe your friends' previous good deeds have illusioned you, EMS, the worst express service in China post office, worse than TNT, but DHL costs too much. when i was 14, i wrote to Britney Spears, i supposed she might send me a signature back, unfortunately, i wasted all my pocket money, fool

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am interested in sending a parcel from toronto-canada to chiang mai thailand, can anyone please suggest or reccomend some reliable parcel or corrier companies. any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks

Hi can u please recommend which parcel companies to use, I have to send a parcel soon, but reading all this info am rather concerned?

i do online shopping from the net, mostly from us, uk, canada, china, etc.

i lost 3 items in the past months already, all from canada, and all contains some sort of liquid.......

parcels from uk arrived very late, i think because of the uk system, overal around 1 month.

parcels from us arrived around 10-12 days.

ask your relative what is the gift (i know it's a bit rude) or you can guess, if its liquid, say goodbye to it.

i to have not recieved parcels sent to me[korat] plus other mail some of which was important,back in the 80s when i lived in patts.i often saw the postman holding letters up to the sunlight near the bars.

Hi, I am interested in sending a parcel from toronto-canada to chiang mai thailand, can anyone please suggest or reccomend some reliable parcel or corrier companies. any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks

Anything signed for will always arrive. I have received countless parcels already here. But im not in a tourist area.

It appears to be an incredibly corrupt post office Thailand has, judging from the posts here. My own experience is the same. I'm zero for 3 when it comes to receiving packages from overseas. I completely gave up on trying many years ago.

As Robblok notes, if it's sent requiring signature in invariably arrives so EMS or one of the couriers (FedEx etc) will work fine.

Do be aware, that anything coming by courier will attract the attention of Thai customs and could therefore also attract duty and VAT :(

I bought 2 pair of prescription safety glasses last year while in Canada ($500 worth). They were not going to be ready before I left so I had my father mail them separately in case one of the 2 pairs didn't make it. Both arrived about a week after leaving Canada no duty on either. Registered mail through Canada Post, I have had all packages arrive so far over the years. It seems if they require a signature they tend to make it.

In 8 years I've yet to have anything go missing that has been sent from the UK or US. Letters sent by surface mail were routinely chucked in with airmail and arrived after 6 days when I lived in Bangkok. Since moving to CM, it seems to take an extra week for things to get here but they do get here. Books from Amazon US, vitamins and other supplements from US company both arrived without any problems when sent by DHL GlobalMail and books that I had sent to me from a friend in the UK arrived by ordinary airmail.

I might just be lucky though as people in the UK constantly complain about the Royal Mail but I never had anything go missing whilst living there.

I have had packages and letter never reach their destination in Thailand when posted from overseas.

Both Thai and English of the addressee and address written on the front.

I send all letters and packages by recorded mail, never fails, always gets there in this manner.

I have always used either the USPS (United States Postal Service) registered mail, and it arrives (requires a signature), or DHL/UPS and never failed to get a package.

I have a package that was sent from the UK via parcelforce / EMS that is currently listed as delivered on the tracking info yet it has not been delivered. It looks like a third party "delivery agent" has it and signed for it as delivered, making the tracking useless from this point.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, the pattern is that if it's sent by air mail, it is unlikely that it will get to you here. I know people who say they never have any trouble getting things from overseas; I insist that their experience is unusual. I set up a test: seven business envelopes, carefully addressed in English, were mailed from the USA to me in BKK. They contained only two sheets of paper, and there was nothing on the envelopes to tempt thieves. Two arrived. As for all the journals, brochures and A4 sized publications mailed from the USA, none have ever arrived at my address.

If you must get it, have your correspondent ship it via FedEx, UPS, DHL. Using any sort of registration for mail is no guarantee of anything except that you will pay more, as I see it (I can't disagree with the view that it may improve your chances). Depending on the Thai postal service for important mail from overseas is a gamble you might win, but the odds are steeply against you. That said, I'm hoping to get some open source computer software on DVDs, though I know they will probably disappear or Customs will demand a ransom...I expect to lose out. No big deal.

I can't believe that I have been having unusual experiences for the last 8 years - not with the postal system anyway!

Apart from things I order on-line, everything that I have received from the UK was sent by ordinary airmail. This includes a box with a few large books and numerous ATM and credit cards. Not once has anything gone missing. The worst thing that has happened is that a Christmas card once took nearly three weeks to arrive, which I wasn't every impressed with. My experiences have been at 2 addresses in Bangkok, 1 in Nakhon Sawan (in the middle of nowhere) and 1 in Chiang Mai, so they are quite varied and I don't think there's anything special about me (nothing that the postman knows about anyway).

Edited by inthepink

It appears to be an incredibly corrupt post office Thailand has, judging from the posts here. My own experience is the same. I'm zero for 3 when it comes to receiving packages from overseas. I completely gave up on trying many years ago.

This corruption reflects the general criminally corrosive systems that tends to be accepted.

You really couldn't expect anything less....

I think that much of the success in delivery depends upon your local Thai postal delviery person and/or the maid/condo staff/whoever accepts your mail.

We've never had any problems in receiving things sent via USPs, FedEx, DHL and Thai post in three locations within CM during the past three years.

That being said, I must admit that sometimes the internet bill gets "hung up" in the condo office for a few days before the manager shoves it under our door. We probably should stop by the office more often!

Oh, and we've never had a problem with DHL coming for a delivery and collecting duty/customs/whatever-it-is-they want for smaller shipments from the U.S. -- vital things like underwear, vitamins and underwater MP3 players. We've never had to visit a DHL office to retrieve a delivery, It may help that we don't quibble with the ammount and have small bills -- we don't expect them to change a 1000 baht note to pay a 434 baht fee.

Ever notice that every parcel or large letter has sticky tape on it and has written on it, arrived or received in this condition. I think that is after they have gone through it and found something or nothing of value.:realangry:

As for parcels from UK,the bad weather and christmas holidays caused no end of trouble.

I had a parcel posted 17 Dec....arrived March12th !!.The supplier told me that similar parcels posted to Australia and Canada had all been delayed as well...blamed the backlog caused by the bad weather.

Otherwise I have had 100% success with all my online purchases...8-10 days usualy.

We have been waiting 6 weeks for a parcel from Italy,checked our local sorting office in Prachinburi,and was going to try and contact Bangkok main office,but after reading all the other tales of woe,do'nt think I'll bother. 50 euros and photos vanished, TIT !!!.