Do Your Packages Arrive From Abroad?

pumpuiman

Percentage of lost mail  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading the many reports of packages going missing, I thought it would be helpful to see the percentages.

After replying to the poll, please list your most successful and non-successful methods of shipping, and where you are located.

Perhaps responses will give us a definitive answer as to the best and worst methods.

I realize there have been lots of discussions on this matter....but maybe this poll can help solidify our options.

Thanks for your time....Happy New Year :o

After reading the many reports of packages going missing, I thought it would be helpful to see the percentages.

After replying to the poll, please list your most successful and non-successful methods of shipping, and where you are located.

Perhaps responses will give us a definitive answer as to the best and worst methods.

I realize there have been lots of discussions on this matter....but maybe this poll can help solidify our options.

I used to have many problems when living in Pattaya city center receiving packages from USA.

Always had to pick them up ( notice cards were left sparingly and misdated) then get wacked with duty. Now I live in a fairly wealthy community about 12km outside of the city and packages are brought right to me or left with the security booth and I have not be hit with any duty fees - can only wonder why ???

Most are sent using United States Postal service and it has been good so far.

My wife and I have sent several parcels to her family from the UK via Air Mail and we've never had a parcel go missing. Not sure whether it's luck, honesty, or the fact I get my wife to write on the parcel what it contains (Never anything interesting) in Thai.

I lived in Hua Hin for nearly two years and I received 0 packages out of 3 (sent from USA), and even mail received was horrible, perhaps 20% of all letters sent wound up in my hands.

I went so far as to rent a postal box, but that was no help at all.

I had mailing labels made, my address printed in Thai, for friends in the states to use when mailing me letters... these were all returned back to the senders, slashed open and stamped in a bright angry red from Homeland Security.

Non-english writing was clearly a no-no. (I refrain from further comment...) :o

Bad experience all around. My letters got out pretty much alright, but not necessarily so for packages. I lost track of how many sent vs how many received.

I realize that my experience is contrary to most, but I haven't any thought as to why my mail was so poorly handled.

Terrible experience with those "Post Net" patent infringers and similar services. In Pattaya, there is a lady who steals 100% of the mail IMHO.

It used to be really good until the airport closure. Now several standard overseas packages (= no insurance) and parcels (with insurance) are missing. seems someone took advantage of the chaos.

Q: now how do I explain the disappearance of that Bally handbag to my wife?!

A friend in Pattaya will not get any standard mail, only EMS works. If in doubt, do yourself a favor and use EMS!!

Never had any problems , and I recieve a number of parcels each month. A couple of times there has been a delay, but other than I have been pretty impressed with the postal service here. Just as good, if not better than The Royal Mail back in the UK.

Regular mail (International Signed-For) from the UK to Pathum Thani has all arrived bar one small package that wandered off into the unknown (contents of low value).

We have address labels printed in English and Thai (Thai only ones confuse the little old lady in the post office) but stuff addressed in English only seems to arrive OK anyway.

Stuff sent by air-mail has mostly arrived without customs issues, the one package where duty was requested attracted a nominal amount :D

A package sent FedEx got caught up in customs for a week and attracted rediculous duty (about 80% of declared value plus 'storage' on some computer parts and a used camera lens). A DHL package containing personal documents also got hung up in customs for some undisclosed reason although they eventually released it without charge :o

as i said in other post, i do online shopping from around the world.

i used mostly regular international mail (the cheapest), no tracking number .........yeah i know, i'm cheap lol.----------> arrive no problem, except for 3 package from canada containing some liquid.

but if the price is expensive i used global international express plus insurance, with tracking number-------------> no problem, always arrive. (pay the tax if the value over 3000 bath)

for heavy stuff, i used courier, in thailand tnt is quite good.---------------> no problem, arrive very fast but expensive.

I get at least one delivery from Aust every month and only had one go missing in the 4 years I've had the PO Box. I don't worry about EMS or couriers as they are low value items. Only one customs problem. BUT --- About 50% went missing prior to that.

Hi,

I send about 12 parcels and received about 8 in last 3 years,

with absolutely no problem. About 6 or 8 days for/from Europe.

Most of them in Regular Air Mail, a few ones as Registered.

And used 3 times DHL for urgent & important documents. About 1.000 baht but worth it.

Pattaya46

Hi :o

I have bought a number of items from E-Bay (Canada, U.S.A., Germany, Hong Kong, China) over the last 12 months, and also second hand motorbike parts (small items like hand levers or a brake disc, which was the heaviest) from Malaysia and Singapore.

Everything arrived no problem except one which was a 3 U.S.$ "unlock SIM card" from Hong Kong, that E-Bay seller sent me another one which duly arrived (and didn't work! So i sent it back and THAT got lost, but i was refunded nevertheless).

Most expensive item was a 120 U.S.$ eye-cream for my boyfriend "La Mer" from Canada, no customs duty asked (same cost close to 400 U.S.$ here in Thailand!)

All my items were shipped regular air mail (no couriers or specific parcel services) and almost all unregistered (except that eye cream, one bag of yellow LED's from Hong Kong and one ancient mobile phone from Germany, a collector's item).

Best regards.....

Thanh

I have lived in Thailand since 1999. In the first few years many packages got lost. I solved that by having people sending packages spell out the complete address (streetaddress + condoaddress), which makes for quite a long address, instead of only the condoaddress or streetaddress. Since then they arrive without a problem. 100%.

W

Never had any problems , and I recieve a number of parcels each month. A couple of times there has been a delay, but other than I have been pretty impressed with the postal service here. Just as good, if not better than The Royal Mail back in the UK.

Never had a problem, and yes the Royal Mail sucks! :o

In Pattaya I'll swear some packages don't even make it out of the post office. As for incoming, then letters and documents seem to arrive without fail but packages are hit and miss. If you get cards when you are out then I've had the things disappear on their way back to the post office ! Sometimes some baloney about sending it back to the sender but impossible on one occasion as there was no return address !

Obviously anyone sending money through the post has to accept that it will most likely disappear. If you accept that statement, then you acknowledge that the people doing the deliveries and handling the mail are often thieves who will try to steal if they think they can get away with it. With that in mind, you take precautions.

Mind you, I would not send anything of valuse through the post anywhere in the world unless via Fed Ex or something as I think the whole system is geared up for pilfering in every country. Thailand is not unique in that respect.

Not had a single package or letter go missing in over 2 years - both UK to Thailand and vice versa. Generally send or receive every couple of weeks and use standard airmail which averages out at about 7 days both ways. The quickest has been 4 days to UK (sent Fri received Tues) and 6 days UK to Thailand.

Guess we've just be incredibly lucky so far !! Probably go pear shaped now !

Just had two parcels arrive today, that were sent last week from the UK. Can't fault the service, only had two occassions where had to pay duty to the thieving customs department in the last 3 years, and I recieve at leat 3 parcels a month.

Just had two parcels arrive today, that were sent last week from the UK. Can't fault the service, only had two occassions where had to pay duty to the thieving customs department in the last 3 years, and I recieve at leat 3 parcels a month.

What shipping company do you use?

Never had any problems (apart from one letter from the UK that arrived with "misdirected via Aruba" on it) in the two-and-a-half years I have lived in Bangkok (Tha Phra area) UNTIL the airport closures. Since then two from the UK and one from the US have not arrived.

I never had any problems so far. I got quite a number of parcels from Holland over time. Right now im waiting for a few fishing rods to arrive. The strange thing is a letter send on the same day is here already and the rods are not. Maybe they are at customs. But it was only send a week ago. So i don't worry yet.

I often order items from overseas, mostly from the US and use US global express normally or DHL if the former is not an option. 15 years without a missing package AFAIK, not sure about any letters though. However, they are always addressed to my university address and that may make a difference. Wouldn't want to chance using my moo bahn street address, too many links where it could "get lost" plus the address is more easily to be mistaken then the uni address.

Customs is alway a hit and miss proposition. I would say 90% or more get through without customs issues. Seems using USPS Global express has less chance of being hit by customs. Even ordering the exact same item from the same place, one time no duties next time duties requested. :o

• 3 weeks later...
Postman arrested for allegedly stealing credit card

A 32-year-old postman has been arrested for allegedly tearing a letter to steal another person's credit card and using it to buy goods in Chachoengsao, police said Tuesday.

Saravuth Noisrisong, wanted by an arrest warrant issued on September 2 2008, was apprehended on Monday in a private company in Nonthaburi's Pak Kred district, where he worked as a driver for the company's executive. Saravuth denied all charges and would only testify on court.

The arrest was according to a complaint filed by Patcharin Charoenwutthitham that someone had used her Bank of Ayudhya credit card to buy goods worth Bt78,682 in July 2007 though she hadn't received the card yet.

The entire article can be read at The Nation website.

Why don't they do an article on the RAMPANT theft by the Thai post office?

I seem to get everything these days. Hope I'm not tempting fate as I'm awaiting some 'Goodies' now.

I did a test a few years ago by sending two letters from UK (posting them personally) at the same time and only one arrived. Not to say it wasn't the fault of the guys in the UK.

A few years ago things got left with a neigbour or Village headman who, we'll not suprisingly ; always forgot to forward them to me.

Lots of things get lost back home also. I'm generally impressed with my service here at the moment.

the stuff of mine that has gone missing has had viturally no value, especially not to someone else. I've been waiting for a membership card, its been sent 3 times, I think the envelope keeps getting stolen because who-ever thinks it is a credit card. I give up.

• 4 weeks later...

So you said the customs dep. has hit you with duties only three times? Do you go pick the items up from the post office or are they delivered to your door? When you paid the duties, where your packages opened, or did they just go buy the declared customs value? If so, are most packages you recieve opened along the way before getting to you, and if that is the case, what types of things seem to be more readily opened. Are you receiving these from the Thai post or UPS, FEDEX, etc. ?? Thanks for the help. I appolgize for all the questions.

Never had a problem in my village in Buri Ram. The postie brings everything to the door. I used to give out address labels in Thai, but don't even bother with that anymore. Everything comes addressed in English. I have seen mistakes made though. On one occasion the house next door got a parcel of clothing from the US. Thinking it was from some relative living there, they opened it up and shared it around. The red faced postie came back a few hours later. It wasn't for them. Everything was put back, and the parcel made it to the intended address.