If You Died Today.

Maigo6

Then my son and the house the car will belong to my bf to take care of.

It's not a bad thing to prepare yourselfs beforehand. Maybe you already have :o

For the assets, if you dont arrange how both your assets are devided at the present moment, you should do it before one of both partners dies. Otherwise maybe half the house and half the car belong to your friend - the other half (even more) will go to dutch authorities.

For your son, if you dont arrange what you want before death it isnt sure your friend will automatically be the guardian of your son. Even more, if your son isnt dutch it could directly lead to visa problems and he might be in holland illegal immediately.

Not wanting to scare you, but really you should be better safe than sorry if ever something bad might occur.

Don't worry about it - she will know exactly how to get hold of all your money.

Where moneys concerned she's not stupid! It's the motivating factor and why she's with you.

You are speaking from personal experience ? :o

I do have personal accident life insurance but since we have no kids and his financial future is pretty secure without any help from me, I've never bothered with life insurance.

So, I guess thats a "no"?

Where moneys concerned she's not stupid! It's the motivating factor and why she's with you.

How can they if you are not married and left no will, and the money is in a fixed account with no ATM access ? :D

Oh don't tell me, she has been in cahoots with the Bank Manager all along, just waiting for you to die so they can split the money... :o

Jeez...... :D

You are speaking from personal experience ? :o

Ohhh yes! Assuming you mean that Thai women are unbelievably thick in every other sphere than money!

I do have personal accident life insurance but since we have no kids and his financial future is pretty secure without any help from me, I've never bothered with life insurance.

Same as me SBK, I have no life insurance, cos it would certainly make me worth more dead than alive.

My point was that I have money in a Fixed term account that is totally untouchable by ATM, so if I dropped dead tomorrow, what would happen to that money, nobody could actually claim it without a will I guess.

It would just get sucked up into the system, ot as F1 Fanatic summises, maybe the missus will split it with the bank manager. :o

Same as me SBK, I have no life insurance, cos it would certainly make me worth more dead than alive.

My point was that I have money in a Fixed term account that is totally untouchable by ATM, so if I dropped dead tomorrow, what would happen to that money, nobody could actually claim it without a will I guess.

It would just get sucked up into the system, ot as F1 Fanatic summises, maybe the missus will split it with the bank manager. :o

Have to assume she believes she can get her hands on enough to make it all worth while.

Then my son and the house the car will belong to my bf to take care of.

It's not a bad thing to prepare yourselfs beforehand. Maybe you already have :D

For the assets, if you dont arrange how both your assets are devided at the present moment, you should do it before one of both partners dies. Otherwise maybe half the house and half the car belong to your friend - the other half (even more) will go to dutch authorities.

For your son, if you dont arrange what you want before death it isnt sure your friend will automatically be the guardian of your son. Even more, if your son isnt dutch it could directly lead to visa problems and he might be in holland illegal immediately.

Not wanting to scare you, but really you should be better safe than sorry if ever something bad might occur.

:o

Too late im scared now, and im in a state that willing to make a will and everything arranged !

Where should I start ?

Have to assume she believes she can get her hands on enough to make it all worth while.

Why do you have to assume that ?

Please explain. :o

I don't think I'm the one who has to explain anything. The 'Thai woman' stereotype does it for me! My experiences here merely reinforce the stereotype.

Edited by F1fanatic

I don't think I'm the one who has to explain anything. The 'Thai woman' stereotype does it for me! My experiences here merely reinforce the stereotype.

So if we are gonna go with stereotypes, you must be an old fat ugly smelly drunken farang, right ?

Or are you different ? :o:D

So if we are gonna go with stereotypes, you must be an old fat ugly smelly drunken farang, right ?

Hardly! You have entirely the wrong idea of me. But... this feud is entirely off-topic. If you wish to pursue the point - we can do it with messages.

Hardly! You have entirely the wrong idea of me. But... this feud is entirely off-topic. If you wish to pursue the point - we can do it with messages.

Feel free.

Too late im scared now, and im in a state that willing to make a will and everything arranged !

Where should I start ?

Do you have a 'samenlevings' contract? If you dont, you'll absolutely need one. A notary can draw such a contract (and can at the same time draw a will for both parties too).

After you and your partner have such a contract you can take steps to cover 'succesie recht' (the law that states how much tax is raised over assets given to the partner after death - especially for dutch law the giving is a problem, ). An insurance advisor can help you with solutions for that.

About your son, i dont have a clue about his legal state. I dont know if you want your partner to adopt him. I dont know if you want your son to be a dutch citizen at some point (which has good and bad sides). Also ask the notary about possible solutions on this matter (or make an inquiry at the IND).

Basically if you dont have a samenlevings contract yet, it is time to get one. Matters like death (or separation for that matter) are best arranged well before a bad thing occurs.

Firstly if i were you, i would talk to your partner about it and then look for solutions.

Where should I start ?

Do you have a 'samenlevings' contract? If you dont, you'll absolutely need one. A notary can draw such a contract (and can at the same time draw a will for both parties too).

After you and your partner have such a contract you can take steps to cover 'succesie recht' (the law that states how much tax is raised over assets given to the partner after death - especially for dutch law the giving is a problem, ). An insurance advisor can help you with solutions for that.

About your son, i dont have a clue about his legal state. I dont know if you want your partner to adopt him. I dont know if you want your son to be a dutch citizen at some point (which has good and bad sides). Also ask the notary about possible solutions on this matter (or make an inquiry at the IND).

Basically if you dont have a samenlevings contract yet, it is time to get one. Matters like death (or separation for that matter) are best arranged well before a bad thing occurs.

Firstly if i were you, i would talk to your partner about it and then look for solutions.

My partner wants to adopt my son but according to other reason* so he can not.

I talked to him and agreed about notary but we still did not do anything yet.

I have "semenleving" here, now only start with the notary right ?

Well, same only in that we don't have life insurance :D

I don't have life insurance because I don't see the point. My husband won't need it to take care of himself.

As for money, well, absolutely everything is joint. So, again, whats the point?

So, my point was that I have money but since it is also my husband's money, I don't need to worry about where it goes when I die. And since his financial future is pretty well taken care of without me having to do it, I haven't bothered with things like life insurance.

I don't have life insurance because I don't see the point. My husband won't need it to take care of himself.

So, my point was that I have money but since it is also my husband's money, I don't need to worry about where it goes when I die. And since his financial future is pretty well taken care of without me having to do it, I haven't bothered with things like life insurance.

Yees - but your circumstances are slightly unusual to say the least!

I don't have any insurance, medical, life etc.....the missus has health insurance, but I don't !

Then again, I never get sick, if I had paid for 18 years medical insurance in Thailand it would have cost me a fortune, and I wouldn't have used it one time.

( I'll probably be struck down next week with some strange disease that costs a fortune to remedy ! ) :o

I have 1st Class Car Insurance is all.

I think that I am being totally irresponsible with the money in a Fixed account that would be untouchable by anybody but me.

I guess I'll have to make a will.

I don't have any insurance, medical, life etc.....the missus has health insurance, but I don't !

Then again, I never get sick, if I had paid for 18 years medical insurance in Thailand it would have cost me a fortune, and I wouldn't have used it one time.

( I'll probably be struck down next week with some strange disease that costs a fortune to remedy ! ) :o

I have 1st Class Car Insurance is all.

I think that I am being totally irresponsible with the money in a Fixed account that would be untouchable by anybody but me.

I guess I'll have to make a will.

Best of luck to you, and may your good health continue. If it doesn't, perhaps it's time to let her know how to access the fixed account. It's what's she's waiting for....

Best of luck to you, and may your good health continue. If it doesn't, perhaps it's time to let her know how to access the fixed account. It's what's she's waiting for....

LOL............

Maybe I'll give the detailas to her younger sister instead.... :D for a price................................ :o

Edited by Maigo6

LOL............

Maybe I'll give the detailas to her younger sister instead.... :o

Adopt me plzzzzz

LOL............

Maybe I'll give the detailas to her younger sister instead.... :D

Adopt me plzzzzz

So you'll let me adopt you for the 2,762 Baht I have in a fixed account ?

OK...... :o

LOL............

Maybe I'll give the detailas to her younger sister instead.... :D

Adopt me plzzzzz

So you'll let me adopt you for the 2,762 Baht I have in a fixed account ?

OK...... :o

More than what he have in his account now.

So, DEAL

My wife has access to all my accounts, She can have a widow pension from back home, and I did make a last will who is registered with my wife as sole beneficiary.

If my wife dies before me her children are the sole beneficiary and after that their children. But their spouses are excluded(for the obvious reasons), if he/she have no children that part will be shared to the remaining children who are still alive. its also stipulated that this inheritance or a part of it can't be transferred to their girl/boyfriends, religious organisations or as collateral in business deals.

I did like this because I don't like that my family in my home country will get even one Satang of my property after I die. Because I don't like them, I even refused the inheritance of my mother by an affidavit. So I'm very fair in my opinion. I have no children of my own.

I have access to my wives account in my home country, In Thailand I have not, even I do take car all her finances by Internet banking. If she die, all of her properties and money go's to her children, its fine by me because I don't need that money or property, and its make her feels save that after she passes away my future girlfriend or wife don't get her property or money.

I will get married with my future girlfriend when I feel the end is near, so she is financially protected by having a widow pension. Some people will say this is the carrot to make the donkey run and have some protection :o

As a Belgian citizen we are obligated to redraw our name from the population register in our home town, and have to report at the embassy abroad where we get an new ID card as Belgian citizen in an alien country. From that moment on the embassy take over all legal duties and paperwork, they even have an notary office who can make all necessary legal documents, and we have all the same legal rights as we had back home. So there is no need anymore to go back for anything.

we only have to send every 6 months a document signed by the embassy, to the pension office to prove that we are still alive and kicking, married and not became a widower.

BTW my Thai wife is older than me. yep this exists also in Thailand :D

ok this reply is a bit off-topic but deals with my death and my thai wife, (or gf), life after that.

after i saw this thread i started to think again about what would happen to her. i have a will, of sorts. this thread gave me the idea to register it with the local tambon. i talked to her about that and i guess we will do that. in thai time ...

meanwhile i had an idea and want to run it past some 'old hands'.

i have maybe a year or so to live. i know this. it may extend a bit, or shorten a bit, but it is definitely finite. i am not rich so have it set up so she will have enough to live on for 6 months to 2 years depending on how she spends it.

since her highest priority, at some point after my death, will be to find a new husband. and since a farang husband will 'probably' be better than a thai husband ...

what if i start now, using the internet, to find her a new husband?

it sounds like pandering but it is really meant simply as an introduction service.

is it too strange?

(i haven't yet talked to her about this)

its also stipulated that this inheritance or a part of it can't be transferred to their girl/boyfriends, religious organisations or as collateral in business deals.

It's interesting that you were allowed to do this under Belgian law Henry, because I know under Australian law you could not. One of the rules there is that you cannot attach conditions to distribution of your assets. You either leave it to them (and they do what they like with it) or you don't leave it to them.

For example you can't say "I will leave you my house but only if you ....." or "only if you don't ..." etc.

You can however including non-binding statements to executors or beneficiaries in your will, ie. "it is my express wish, although not my direction, that ....".

Presumably this is at least in part because of the issue of who would be responsible for 'policing' that such 'conditions' were met - perhaps quite some time after you passed away. Perhaps if you pay to set up and maintain an ongoing trust of some sort (not possible in LOS) then the executors could be the gate-keepers and policeman.

Not sure what the situation is under Thai law, anyone?

its also stipulated that this inheritance or a part of it can't be transferred to their girl/boyfriends, religious organisations or as collateral in business deals.

It's interesting that you were allowed to do this under Belgian law Henry, because I know under Australian law you could not. One of the rules there is that you cannot attach conditions to distribution of your assets. You either leave it to them (and they do what they like with it) or you don't leave it to them.

For example you can't say "I will leave you my house but only if you ....." or "only if you don't ..." etc.

You can however including non-binding statements to executors or beneficiaries in your will, ie. "it is my express wish, although not my direction, that ....".

Presumably this is at least in part because of the issue of who would be responsible for 'policing' that such 'conditions' were met - perhaps quite some time after you passed away. Perhaps if you pay to set up and maintain an ongoing trust of some sort (not possible in LOS) then the executors could be the gate-keepers and policeman.

Not sure what the situation is under Thai law, anyone?

Inheritance laws are one of the most complicated ones in Belgium.

ok this reply is a bit off-topic but deals with my death and my thai wife, (or gf), life after that.

after i saw this thread i started to think again about what would happen to her. i have a will, of sorts. this thread gave me the idea to register it with the local tambon. i talked to her about that and i guess we will do that. in thai time ...

meanwhile i had an idea and want to run it past some 'old hands'.

i have maybe a year or so to live. i know this. it may extend a bit, or shorten a bit, but it is definitely finite. i am not rich so have it set up so she will have enough to live on for 6 months to 2 years depending on how she spends it.

since her highest priority, at some point after my death, will be to find a new husband. and since a farang husband will 'probably' be better than a thai husband ...

what if i start now, using the internet, to find her a new husband?

it sounds like pandering but it is really meant simply as an introduction service.

is it too strange?

(i haven't yet talked to her about this)

I understand your feeling, and it seems that you really love your wife. But trying to control thing's you can't control is useless.