Is Thailand Getting Too Expensive?

bberg

Renting an apartment and eating Thai food is still very cheap. Medical care is still relatively cheap as well however just about everything else has inflated dramatically. Movies, supermarket goods, pharmaceuticals, airfare hotels. I often end up spending as much or more than I used to in Farangland.

Hotels expensive in Thailand? WOW, you can find a first class hotel in Chiang Mai, Chian Rai, Udon, Khon Kaen, Mae Hong Song and many other cities below 1500 Baht. In Europe you can not even have an break and breakfast for that price.

Did you ever stayed in an comparable Hotel in Paris, Venice or Rome? You pay at least 10 000 Baht, and much less good service.

I wonder how long people who complain about Thailand becoming expensive didn't visit Europe or their home country.

I think quite a few people are missing the point that much of this discussion is about the rise in Thai prices and the consequent narrowing of the gap with Western prices that was indeed big some years ago. This rise is in baht prices and is in addition to currency exchange rate fluctuations. Provincial hotels aren't as pricey as Bangkok hotels but still provide some examples of what we are talking about. One of the few really first class hotels in Isaan was the Sofitel in Khon Kaen, which could indeed be had on promotion for 1500 a night a few years ago. It has recently been re-branded as the Pullman. Visit the website and take a look at current prices. Incidentally I have also stayed in Italy, Turkey, Canada, Brussels, Paris and Belfast in the last 12 months and did not find the prices quite as steep as the survey suggests. In Southern Italy I thought prices were very reasonable. For example, I was getting a small bottle of Moretti or Nastro Azzurro in bars for around Euro 2.50 and restaurant meals at much lower than the quoted rate.

few very good hotels I stayed this year under 1300 Baht, Venice april 2009 high season.

Charoensri Grand Royal- Udon, Charoensri Thani Princess - khon kaen, Park hotel-Chiang mai, Wangcome-Chian Rai, Imperial tara-Mae Hong Son.

Where you can find such hotels in Europe for the same price

You mention Southern Italy, I think you know that is the most poor part of Italy can compare with Isan,the same go's for Turkey, Hollidays there are much cheaper than Thailand and its also very poor and one of the lowest living standards lower than in Thailand?

I talked about Venice, Rome and Paris. First class hotels in Brussels have 70% discounts in weekends and holliday season because there clients are bussines people and EU officials. The same go's for my home town Antwerp (diamond bussiness people.

Antwerp Radison 4 star weektime 8200 Baht a night standard room.

Paris 4 star hotel starting 12 000 baht standard room

venice 4 star hotel starting 13 000 baht standard room

A bed and breakfast cost minimum 2500 Baht in Antwerp almost dubbel as a first class hotel in Thailand.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

few very good hotels I stayed this year under 1300 Baht, Venice april 2009 high season.

Charoensri Grand Royal- Udon, Charoensri Thani Princess - khon kaen, Park hotel-Chiang mai, Wangcome-Chian Rai, Imperial tara-Mae Hong Son.

Well, just sticking to my point about quite steep Thai price rises that are narrowing the gap, let us concentrate on Khon Kaen, where I often stay myself. You did well at the Chareon Thani Princess, where the current price is about 1700 baht (significant inflation since early last year?). First class in Khon Kaen would mean the Sofitel (Pullman) at about 2900 baht. Moving to a Western comparator, I stayed at the Hilton in Belfast last month for about 4000 baht, so I still think that the difference is narrowing. I never argued that the price was the same.

Edited by citizen33

thailand expensive???????? im sorry guys, have you been to the west latley? ok im sure thailand is more expensive now than it was 5-10 years ago but so is the west. There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

Am in agreement with those 3 items. An old used p.u. or car in Thailand costs about twice what the same would cost in the States. Clothes at a cheapo market in Thailand - are more costly than better quality 2nd hand clothes at a thrift store in the States. Electronic items, including computers, have a big price difference in favor of some overseas outlets.

That's not to say there aren't many very good comparative deals on other things here. Food (fresh or cooked) and repair costs (for nearly anything) are a couple stand outs - when searching for great deals in Thailand. Bar girls' services are generally a good value for investment also - however, that applies more to short term relationships. If the relationship becomes long term, the comparative value lessens - as dowries and financial support for the girls' families are expected. Plus there's the later eventuality that the guy will lose the house and car (he paid for) after the break-up. Come to think of it, not much different than the financial dynamics of farang with farang relationships.

Being resident in HK, and considering moving to LOS, I cant wait for a less expensive lifestyle.....my current rental is 225k (Baht) per month here in HK

wow, 225k/month ...that's over $6,600! did you get one too many zeros in there? That's enough to rent an airline hangar with the airplane.

Check out C.Rai if you want a reasonable rent. there are decent houses here for under Bt.6k/month. You could rent 225 of them for the price of one HK place, and you'd get cleaner air, and friendlier neighbors.

I reside in Thailand, but when I go visit the States (about a week every 2 years) - I enjoy going to thrift stores and garage sales - mostly for clothes which are a whole lot cheaper than anywhere in Thailand - but also for the cheap do-dads - roller skates, lamps, electronic stuff, books, ....you name it. I wish Thailand could also have places for used furniture and building supplies. There was a place in my former home town in California that was an outlet for 2nd hand building supplies. It was my 1st stop - any time I had a building project. Greeeaaaat savings - and a lot of the items were like new. Couldn't happen in Thailand.

As for food, 2 of my favorite restaurants in C.Rai are Moslem places. 35 baht gets you chicken (so tender you could cut it with a plastic fork), excellent curry/saffron yellow rice (Thais don't know how to make it like that), salad, and soup. ....and no MSG. Plus, the bathroom sinks have bars of soap bigger than a slivered almond - apparently Muslims give more credence to cleanliness, at least as it relates to eating.

Not too many zeros at all...my two mates who have just moved up here - one runs a multinational, his current rent is Hk$ 300 000 PER MONTH. The other is at Hk$ 120 000 per month. The cheaper of the two is for a 3 bedroom place, nice views, 2500ft...in my next life I want to be a HK landlord :o

HK is an expensive city - if I am correct, this year it has moved into the pole position for most expensive rental properties on the planet.......

I went to Thailand Phuket last Nov 08 for the first time.

Before I came there, I was asking ppl around on how cheap is Thailand.

They said, it's very cheap and you can live on $500AUD for 5 days stay.

I also did my research on the internet, etc....

Ok... my budget is $700AUD.

But then when I arrived and exchanged my money and started spending on things, I realised that I'm spending more there than being in Australia.

Mind you... The only thing that is cheap there is food and the rest are bloody rip offs.

I ended up spending $2k rather than $700.

Also, I blame this on a Bloody financial market crash!

P.S.

I can't wait to go back to Thailand :o

Well, just sticking to my point about quite steep Thai price rises that are narrowing the gap, let us concentrate on Khon Kaen, where I often stay myself. You did well at the Chareon Thani Princess, where the current price is about 1700 baht (significant inflation since early last year?). First class in Khon Kaen would mean the Sofitel (Pullman) at about 2900 baht. Moving to a Western comparator, I stayed at the Hilton in Belfast last month for about 4000 baht, so I still think that the difference is narrowing. I never argued that the price was the same.

My 2 satangs. In comparison to to Eastern Asia Thailand is still cheap.

When I left Korea last year a CHEAP 4* hotel was

100 bucks. It was a shoebox and you were treated almost with contempt. No land of smiles there.

I usually can find, when traveling alone, clean reasonably sized budget hotel rooms for 500-600

Baht. In Buriram it was no problem and you can even find this in Pattaya if you look around.

In Japan and Korea it is probably impossible to get anything this cheap.

So it is not just the relative price increase but also the range of choice available that makes

Thailand a good place to stay. But yes Western food is often absurdly overpriced.

100 bucks. It was a shoebox and you were treated almost with contempt. No land of smiles there.

I usually can find, when traveling alone, clean reasonably sized budget hotel rooms for 500-600

Baht. In Buriram it was no problem and you can even find this in Pattaya if you look around.

So it is not just the relative price increase but also the range of choice available that makes

Thailand a good place to stay. But yes Western food is often absurdly overpriced.

agree western restuarants more expensive than back home,i think whats making people's perception of thailand becoming more expensive is the exchange rates.

A bed and breakfast cost minimum 2500 Baht in Antwerp almost dubbel as a first class hotel in Thailand.

This is a bit of a stretch.

That would mean Sheraton, Marriott, Hyatt, Dusit Thani, Shangri La, Peninsula...hotels in BKK go for 1250B.

Could be, even lower, 800B - for breakfast only if you are not staying at the hotel. :o

Search them and compare room for room in the same chain, BKK and elsewhere.

Edited by think_too_mut

There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

That implies that the cars are imported too.

Which are not.

Locally made car ( I know of Honda Jazz) is about 2% more expensive in Thailand than in Japan.

While Thai workers who made it are paid 10% of what Japanese get.

last year I stayed in Buriram in Vonghtong hotel for 500 Baht an unbelievable big room for that price. Nice staf, but one of the most boring towns in thailand.

And you are correct you can find very decent and comfortable hotels for 500 Baht outside the tourist areas.

That would mean Sheraton, Marriott, Hyatt, Dusit Thani, Shangri La, Peninsula...hotels in BKK go for 1250B.

Could be, even lower, 800B - for breakfast only if you are not staying at the hotel. :o

I didn't mean a five star hotel, but a 4 star hotel you find plenty of them below 1500 baht.

or is a 4 star hotel a dump in you idea?

There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

Which are not.

Locally made car ( I know of Honda Jazz) is about 2% more expensive in Thailand than in Japan.

Imported cars is a complete different issue. Price in Thailand are at least 100% higher than in Europe;

the Thai car market is lousy, the choices in sedans are very limited and very expensive except pick ups, Fortuners or MU7's.

Its almost impossible to find a diesel sedan, while in Europe almost 30% of sedan cars are Turbo diesels. In Belgium even over 50%.

Which are not.

Imported cars is a complete different issue. Price in Thailand are at least 100% higher than in Europe;

the Thai car market is lousy, the choices in sedans are very limited and very expensive except pick ups, Fortuners or MU7's.

Its almost impossible to find a diesel sedan, while in Europe almost 30% of sedan cars are Turbo diesels. In Belgium even over 50%.

volvo, bmw and merc have diesel sedans, as for your other numbers, thailand compares well to North America in terms of the number diesels on the road.

I didn't mean a five star hotel, but a 4 star hotel you find plenty of them below 1500 baht.

You don't go hotels very often.

4* hotels are Holiday In, for example. How does that compare with your B&B?

Those 1200B are Ambassador in BKK, Welcome Plaza Jomtien, Jomtien Garden Palace, Jomtien Grand Palace...all Asian package tourists and Russians...and of course, they are not dumps, they are shitholes. Those won't have 1-2 star in the west.

Fuel and ciggarettes are much cheaper here than UK, UK taxation takes the piss!!

Oh and poll / council tax!!!

I guess it works two ways too, many people here have sold their condos at the present time and sent money back to UK making an instant 25% without having to increase their selling prices.

I certainly feel a better quality of life here than in UK, i used to cringe going into the supermarkets in the UK and looking at things like coffee - same brand, being 5 times the price that it is in Thailand. Fresh vegatables in UK are far too expensive too, here they are "cheap as chips"

Give me Thailand any day!!

Edited by LennyW

Those 1200B are Ambassador in BKK, Welcome Plaza Jomtien, Jomtien Garden Palace, Jomtien Grand Palace...all Asian package tourists and Russians...and of course, they are not dumps, they are shitholes. Those won't have 1-2 star in the west.

This whole "star" system is way out of wack. The French started the whole idea of stars, and it was only a month or two ago that they caved in to the rest of the world and said they would allow a five star rating for any establishment.  

If you go by the French categories where hotels are truly graded and tested, or if you go by certain non-affiliated organizations such as Conde Nast, then the ratings are probably a pretty good indication. But when you listen to the self-proclaimed star awards, then caveat emptor.  I went to "Nigeria's only five star hotel," the Sheraton in Lagos. While the price was five-star ($700 per night) there was no hot water in the room, and the recent recent "room improvements" was a piece of fiber board tacked up to cover exposed pipes. Except for the self-awarded stars, Thailand has only 17 or so five-star hotels, based on one list I saw (I think COnde Nast's). And yes, these hotels are far cheaper than five-star hotels worldwide. But five-sat this and five-star that, well, there really are not that many. The Penisula and Oriental sure, but hotels like Hilton, while fine, are really three star hotels.

This whole "star" system is way out of wack. The French started the whole idea of stars, and it was only a month or two ago that they caved in to the rest of the world and said they would allow a five star rating for any establishment.  

If you go by the French categories where hotels are truly graded and tested, or if you go by certain non-affiliated organizations such as Conde Nast, then the ratings are probably a pretty good indication. But when you listen to the self-proclaimed star awards, then caveat emptor.  I went to "Nigeria's only five star hotel," the Sheraton in Lagos. While the price was five-star ($700 per night) there was no hot water in the room, and the recent recent "room improvements" was a piece of fiber board tacked up to cover exposed pipes. Except for the self-awarded stars, Thailand has only 17 or so five-star hotels, based on one list I saw (I think COnde Nast's). And yes, these hotels are far cheaper than five-star hotels worldwide. But five-sat this and five-star that, well, there really are not that many. The Penisula and Oriental sure, but hotels like Hilton, while fine, are really three star hotels.

What are you talking about, the Hilton on the river is 5 star, but then again I guess you think the Sukhothai isnt either.

Could be, even lower, 800B - for breakfast only if you are not staying at the hotel. :D

Sorry I never went to Pattaya, Pukhet or other tourists places, so I don't know any of the hotels over there. normaly I go Cha'am, Hua Hin or Ban Pae.

And do you call Wangcome-Chiang Rai, Charoensri Grand Royal-Udon, Charoen Thani Princes-Khon Kaen, Park hotel-Chiang mai, The imperial Tara-Mae Hong Son, Centara Mae Sot Hill resort-Mae Sot, shitholes or dumps, all this hotels are under 1400 Baht.

BTW do you know that the 5 stars hotels you mentioned have special rates who are far below the normal ones, if you let make reservations by some Thai people. :o

In the last 5 years I stayed overnight in some 70 different hotels allover North, Isan and west/east coast and central Thailand. In Bangkok I stay with family, so I don't stay hotel. But I sleep 1 or 2 times in Dusit Thani, and Oriental, but I don't know the rate because my family invited me and made the reservations

For instance in Pitsanulok I stayed in 3 different hotels, in Nakhon Sawan in 5 different hotels, in Chiang Mai in 3 different hotels, in Chiang Rai in 2 different hotels. In Hua Hin in 2 different hotels. This year I traveled about 12000 K by car in Thailand. Last year about 15 000 K. So I can presume that I have some idea about hotels in Thailand.

thailand expensive???????? im sorry guys, have you been to the west latley? ok im sure thailand is more expensive now than it was 5-10 years ago but so is the west. There only three things i have found more expensive in thailand than the west imported food, wine and cars. amazing :o

yes agree with you,what makes thailand seem more expensive for many that live here is the worsening exchange rates,and declining interest rates on investments back home.

And not forgetting the pensioners. Although i'm not one, the UK don't give an annual increase to pensioners living in Thailand. So an increase, no matter how small, will always affect those guys.

what goes up must come down,or in our case what goes down must come up(ask the ladies).

and this is true of finances too.just have to hang in there,eventually the exchange rates will improve,and interest rates will rise too.

Its just a time to tightened the belt,but if things became too distressed for anyone then,its back home to get help,what else to do?

I wrote that the most cheap bed and breakfast in my home town cost 2500 Baht,

The holliday Inn- Chiang Mai rate for a double twin cost 2450 Baht

so an Holliday Inn in Thailand is cheaper than an bed and breakfast in my home town.

Meaning that hotels in Thailand are very cheap. Capiche :o

because you can have an bed and Breakfast in Thailand for lower than 100 Baht. for the cheapest one,

its 25x cheaper than in my home town.

here in China, we have the same problem, but when port costs too much, we buy fish and chicken, when time's hard, we'd spend a more sample and economic life, money is hard to earn, price is too high, then,we all have to move on, no chioce, tight the pocket and survive the ecnomy crisis.

What are you talking about, the Hilton on the river is 5 star, but then again I guess you think the Sukhothai isnt either.

Rated by whom?

Actually, some Hiltons are really 5-star. One I remember earning the rating was the Turtle Bay Hilton Resort on Oahu.  But most run-of-the-mill Hiltons are 3-star.  And why you would assume what I think is five star or not is a mystery to me. While I would have to go back and do some research, I think the Sukhothai was one of the Bangkok Hotels given five stars. 

If you go by the French categories where hotels are truly graded and tested, or if you go by certain non-affiliated organizations such as Conde Nast, then the ratings are probably a pretty good indication. But when you listen to the self-proclaimed star awards, then caveat emptor. I went to "Nigeria's only five star hotel," the Sheraton in Lagos. While the price was five-star ($700 per night) there was no hot water in the room, and the recent recent "room improvements" was a piece of fiber board tacked up to cover exposed pipes. Except for the self-awarded stars, Thailand has only 17 or so five-star hotels, based on one list I saw (I think COnde Nast's). And yes, these hotels are far cheaper than five-star hotels worldwide. But five-sat this and five-star that, well, there really are not that many. The Penisula and Oriental sure, but hotels like Hilton, while fine, are really three star hotels.

Indeed the French system is correct certainly since they put NF(nouvelle formule) so you van realy trust the star system.

Indeed the French system is correct certainly since they put NF(nouvelle formule) so you van realy trust the star system.

The Scottish and Welsh have some sort of AA and RAC system as well.

Whether the French updated their ratings system or not, the point is to see who is awarding all these stars. I can open up a cesspit of a hotel and then award myself any number of stars. At least one Dubai hotel is now proclaiming it is a "seven star" hotel (just how does a "seven star" differ from a five, and what happend to "six stars?")  But if it is an unaffiliate group doing the rating, and if you understadn the rating criteria, then the rating a hotel receives is probably a good indication of its quality or lack thereof.

Whether the French updated their ratings system or not, the point is to see who is awarding all these stars. I can open up a cesspit of a hotel and then award myself any number of stars. At least one Dubai hotel is now proclaiming it is a "seven star" hotel (just how does a "seven star" differ from a five, and what happend to "six stars?")  But if it is an unaffiliate group doing the rating, and if you understadn the rating criteria, then the rating a hotel receives is probably a good indication of its quality or lack thereof.

Re the Hilton in Bangkok: Stayed at it for 4 days around last new years eve and it is 5 star. As for the Burj al Arab you mention in Dubai at 7 stars, well having seen it first hand it does get 7 stars for tacky gold leaf everywhere and perhaps the biggest lobby aquariums this side of Siam Paragon, but the rooms are of course top of the line, but different than regular 5 stars, I don't see much difference. (now that's a run-on sentence).

Re the Hilton in Bangkok: Stayed at it for 4 days around last new years eve and it is 5 star. As for the Burj al Arab you mention in Dubai at 7 stars, well having seen it first hand it does get 7 stars for tacky gold leaf everywhere and perhaps the biggest lobby aquariums this side of Siam Paragon, but the rooms are of course top of the line, but different than regular 5 stars, I don't see much difference. (now that's a run-on sentence).

Well, I don't always agree with your posts, but you do know quite a bit.  I dare say not too many posters have even heard of the Burj al Arab.

All this star inflation reminds me of Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) in This is Spinal Tap. He describes why his amplifier goes up to "11," because sometimes he needs it to have "that extra push over the cliff." That is the same thing with hotel. Same rooms, same service, but now it is "five star" or "six star." 

Well, I don't always agree with your posts, but you do know quite a bit.  I dare say not too many posters have even heard of the Burj al Arab.

All this star inflation reminds me of Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) in This is Spinal Tap. He describes why his amplifier goes up to "11," because sometimes he needs it to have "that extra push over the cliff." That is the same thing with hotel. Same rooms, same service, but now it is "five star" or "six star." 

it's kinda like the guy who goes around telling everyone he is the best shag he knows... :o