Must Be Ten Weeks Now.

sceadugenga

Ten weeks without a drink... who would have ever thought it?

The beer gut has been demolished people!!!

I can now see myself in all my splendour whilst urinating.

Issues:

Got to eat lots of fiber and drink lots of other fluids... after forty years of beer drinking my bowels got used to LOTS of lubrication.

My memories shot. I used to wake up, work out who and where I was, and methodically plan the day. Make mental notes, sometimes hard copy ones. Now I just let it happen, which is NOT always for the best. . .

I actually make more mistakes when typing, I'm not so methodical and don't check back as much.

Got to eat lots of fiber and drink lots of other fluids... after forty years of beer drinking my bowels got used to LOTS of lubrication

After 10 weeks - no you don't. Your body has adjusted - at least with respect to what it needs of special input caused by your drinking habit. This assumed you aren't in a state requiring hospitalization or doctor prescribed medication, of course.

Fantastic to hear. keep it up.

Mental clarity has improved gradually for me, but I can never remember my mind feeling so bright, creative, and sharp.

It takes a while in sobriety for the mental clouds to disappear.

Got to eat lots of fiber and drink lots of other fluids... after forty years of beer drinking my bowels got used to LOTS of lubrication

After 10 weeks - no you don't. Your body has adjusted - at least with respect to what it needs of special input caused by your drinking habit. This assumed you aren't in a state requiring hospitalization or doctor prescribed medication, of course.

Not to worry, it works in well with the diet I'm on.

Personally I prefer brown rice to white, and wholewheat bread is great.

YEAH , brown rice is the only way to go , that way you get all of the benifits rice is capable of , white ? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGGGG , all the good stuff is given to the pigs or the plants , same , same vegetables , boil out the vitamins , throw the water away and eat what may still be of benifit , my mother always told me "drink the water and throw away the mush " , actualy , she made gravy with the water .

Took the world 50 years or so to catch up with that dear old soul . RIP ma .

• 3 months later...

22 weeks.

Not completely alcohol free but only a very few drinks in a social setting when back in Australia for 2 weeks. My friends were overjoyed.... I always drove home!!!!

Absolutely no desire to start drinking again.

The Coke Lite's becoming a problem though. :o

• 1 month later...

Don't worry about the coke lite, better than booze and gives a little shot to get you going. As a change go for soda water. GF says i always used to be a gentleman, but since i stopped drinking i do a lot of loud belches and farts from [fast] drinking the coke/pepsi and soda water

• 8 months later...

I take my hat off to you sir, I have gone 5 weeks and still resisted back in Oz with my old mates but the last week find myself closet drinking clean skin bottles of red. I keep saying that my flight back to LOS in a few days will be the start point again but fear it is like the never arriving point for giving up smoking.....

Still dry, more than a year now.

Words can't describe how well I feel.

Nice to hear that you have been sober for over a year now.

May I ask about your 40 years of beer drinking! Were you drinking beer everyday or same days in a week only?

I drink a couple beers every week and I'm over 50 year now. I feel fat and unattractive and thinking to quit the beer drinking and start to exercise.

But is not so easy! :)

Edited by Billion

Still dry, more than a year now.

Words can't describe how well I feel.

Nice to hear that you have been sober for over a year now.

May I ask about your 40 years of beer drinking! Were you drinking beer everyday or same days in a week only?

I drink a couple beers every week and I'm over 50 year now. I feel fat and unattractive and thinking to quit the beer drinking and start to exercise.

But is not so easy! :)

Hi Billion, who cares what you look like buddy, if your happy then that's all that matters. A few beers a week mate is nothing to worry about.

I must admit I also feel fat and unattractive and i am only 36 years old. On my days off I drink every day religiously, much more than a few a week. Its Probably anything from 5 to 10 cans of beer or a bottle of wine. I am probably 2.5 stone over weight and feel so dam lethargic but I see my drinking habits as a bit of a release after managing two kids all day long. Its not healthy I know but I am trying to focus on doing a wee bit of exercise now as its important to stimulate the old blood flow. If you could do a brisk walk every day for 30 minutes job done.

good luck mate chin up

Edited by jack31

Jack31, thanks for your comments.

Well we all need to exercise but is not so easy to start doing that!

I have counted the beers now, 6-7 cans for a week and no work out.

30 years of beer drinking every week at the sofa and lots of junk food has made me fatter than ever.

I admit that I must stop the beers (junk food) and out for a walk, bicycle as soon as possible.

Have you tried to quit the drinking yourself!

Good luck to you too.

Jack31, thanks for your comments.

Well we all need to exercise but is not so easy to start doing that!

I have counted the beers now, 6-7 cans for a week and no work out.

30 years of beer drinking every week at the sofa and lots of junk food has made me fatter than ever.

I admit that I must stop the beers (junk food) and out for a walk, bicycle as soon as possible.

Have you tried to quit the drinking yourself!

Good luck to you too.

A friend of mine used to watch television from an exercise bike instead of slouching on the sofa. I suppose it would still need some self-discipline to not just slump over it, but its easier than walking all the way to the garage to get the bike out. You could get a high table to put the six pack on as well...

I've heard it said that if you force yourself to do a bit of exercise, you'll find yourself healthier, happier and more keen to do more exercise and less likely to drink... and I can vouch for the first two. Its funny how difficult it is to find time to go to the gym, or how expensive it is to buy a new bike; and yet there's always time for a couple of pints...

If you're not too worried about the drink, then a good brisk walk down to the pub or - what's the Thai word for dai pai dong - the local food and beer place - anyway, a good brisk walk down for a few beers helps you build up a thirst, although I'd recommend having a bottle of water first after all that sweating in Thailand...don't worry about being brisk on the way home!

SC

StreetCowboy, Thanks! I never thought about an exercise bike.

Maybe I will buy one soon and start bicycle when watching movies.

It’s a good start but the beers are still in my house and easy to open.

I’m not worry about my drinking it’s just that I want to change my life of living a bit.

I never get drunk just the good feelings are enough for me and the taste of cause.

Yes you have absolutely right about having time for the pub but not for the gym! :)

• 3 months later...

Two months booze-free for me. Funny thing is I went out with a bunch of guys last night on a bit of a pub crawl (me on the coca cola) and woke up with a headache hangover feeling. Must be my mind still relating the drinking environment with feeling ropey in the morning. :)

Two months booze-free for me. Funny thing is I went out with a bunch of guys last night on a bit of a pub crawl (me on the coca cola) and woke up with a headache hangover feeling. Must be my mind still relating the drinking environment with feeling ropey in the morning. :)

I find that as often as not when I do that I end up drinking within a few days.

SC

SC

I found once you understand the reasons why you drink and understand the behaviour patterns you don't have to 'white-knuckle it' and avoid drink and drinkers. The addictive process is still there, I just channel it into drinking about ten bottles of coke instead and working like crazy the next day...

SC

I found once you understand the reasons why you drink and understand the behaviour patterns you don't have to 'white-knuckle it' and avoid drink and drinkers. The addictive process is still there, I just channel it into drinking about ten bottles of coke instead and working like crazy the next day...

I understand why I drink;

- I'm an alcoholic

- I enjoy going to the pub

- I enjoy going out with my friends

- drinking coke after coke (or coffee after coffee) is foul.

I'd do better remembering why I don't drink.

But its fairly easy to avoid drinking if I stay out of the pub.

I had dropped a friend off on the far side of the water, where I used to live, and as I was driving back I had a nostalgic feeling for all the pubs I used to go to; luckily, having the car, there was no temptation, but the feeling stayed with me till I got home; fortunately I was too tired to go out, and I had plenty of work to do if I wasn't...

Ten glasses of coke will make you feel rough...if you can, try to mix it with something different. I have the occasional orange juice, though I think I have a very mild allergy to orange, or soda water.

SC

SC

I understand why I drink;

- I'm an alcoholic

- I enjoy going to the pub

- I enjoy going out with my friends

- drinking coke after coke (or coffee after coffee) is foul.

I'd do better remembering why I don't drink.

But its fairly easy to avoid drinking if I stay out of the pub.

I had dropped a friend off on the far side of the water, where I used to live, and as I was driving back I had a nostalgic feeling for all the pubs I used to go to; luckily, having the car, there was no temptation, but the feeling stayed with me till I got home; fortunately I was too tired to go out, and I had plenty of work to do if I wasn't...

Ten glasses of coke will make you feel rough...if you can, try to mix it with something different. I have the occasional orange juice, though I think I have a very mild allergy to orange, or soda water.

SC

Well done Greek and Cowboy. I have had to stay clear of bars, and old friends unfortunately. Living a reclusive life may sound extreme , but i know what will happen if i let my guard down. Seven months sober now and never felt so fit and healthy in my whole life. Everything seems possible , when i used to think everything was a chore.

All the best

Ahinkel

Well done everyone. On Wednesday 26th I made it to six years without a drink, after at least 30 unsuccessful years of attempting to drink like a gentleman. Today I am fairly neutral about alcohol in general other than having a simple acceptance that it is not for me. I think there are a few tins of beer in the fridge from New Year when we had some people round! It took an enormous amount of pain and suffering to get to that level of acceptance. I don't avoid bars and wet places but as a general rule I don't hang out in them. I accept the principle that if you spend enough time in a barber shop you'll get a hair cut. Today I don't drink and it is no big deal. In the last six years only one individual has tried to persuade me to have a "proper drink". I think he was genuinely shocked when I told him that I don't drink because I am an alcoholic. So just remember guys it is ok to be an alcoholic and ok not to drink

Well done Greek and Cowboy. I have had to stay clear of bars, and old friends unfortunately. Living a reclusive life may sound extreme , but i know what will happen if i let my guard down. Seven months sober now and never felt so fit and healthy in my whole life. Everything seems possible , when i used to think everything was a chore.

All the best

Ahinkel

well done young man. and the pressure you've been under given that football team.......

All the best

Ahinkel

well done young man. and the pressure you've been under given that football team.......

Ha , my big mucka. Congratulations on six years sober. That is some achievement brother.

I've rarely had a conscious desire to get drunk, but from time to time I've noticed a thirst with a specific beery flavour - thinking a cold beer-garden pint would be the most thirst-quenching thing I could imagine. The beer garden in question is the pub half-way along the high street in silverknowes on the right-hand side - the old whitewashed one, on the Friday at the end of June (last day of term, and the start of the Edinburgh Trades Fortnight holiday), with the Royal High schoolgirls enjoying their demobilisation, still wearing their black blazers...

and also a desire to go to places where I know I'd get drunk. Luckily, I know that regardless of why I went, the most I could hope for would be to get drunk, so I go to the internet cafe instead; or sit outside at the noodle shop to watch the world go by; luckily my local noodle shop doesn't sell beer...

SC

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been watching this thread, just been working on keeping myself off the booze without making a major production out of it.

Twenty months as a non-drinker now, except for a couple of occasions, strangely enough on planes... just a glass of wine and maybe a Scotch.

I've had plenty of pressure, I've had a friend stay for five weeks who drank heavily every day, as I used to. I made it a challenge not to join him which helped a lot.

Going out is a breeze now, I always drive... I haven't driven at night for years, and getting up in the morning without a hangover and able to recall everything that happened makes it all worth while.

I haven't been watching this thread, just been working on keeping myself off the booze without making a major production out of it.

Twenty months as a non-drinker now, except for a couple of occasions, strangely enough on planes... just a glass of wine and maybe a Scotch.

I've had plenty of pressure, I've had a friend stay for five weeks who drank heavily every day, as I used to. I made it a challenge not to join him which helped a lot.

Going out is a breeze now, I always drive... I haven't driven at night for years, and getting up in the morning without a hangover and able to recall everything that happened makes it all worth while.

Well done. Having a car makes a big difference, doesn't it?

I find that whenever I only have one or two beers, I end up getting steaming drunk within a week. I suppose if I was a scientist I'd need to do more research to understand why, but as a simple engineer, I'm quite happy to accept rules of thumb and empirircal practice...

SC

• 5 months later...

Well done everyone. On Wednesday 26th I made it to six years without a drink, after at least 30 unsuccessful years of attempting to drink like a gentleman. Today I am fairly neutral about alcohol in general other than having a simple acceptance that it is not for me. I think there are a few tins of beer in the fridge from New Year when we had some people round! It took an enormous amount of pain and suffering to get to that level of acceptance. I don't avoid bars and wet places but as a general rule I don't hang out in them. I accept the principle that if you spend enough time in a barber shop you'll get a hair cut. Today I don't drink and it is no big deal. In the last six years only one individual has tried to persuade me to have a "proper drink". I think he was genuinely shocked when I told him that I don't drink because I am an alcoholic. So just remember guys it is ok to be an alcoholic and ok not to drink

Just order a club soda with a twist. Most people will think it's vodka or gin.

Cowboy. The idea is to not take the first sip. If you can do that you have won. me about 15 years although I'm not keeping score. Taking a drink is not a viable option. Big thanks to AA Bangkok.