Cold Weather Warning Issued (again)

baht&sold

WARNING: "Colder weather over upper Thailand and high wave in the Gulf"

source: Thai Meteorological Department Thai Meteorological Department site (in English)

Time Issued : January 09, 2009

The surge of intense high pressure system from China has extended its ridge to cover upper Thailand.

This cause colder weather and 2-3 °C drop with windy in the areas. While the northeast monsoon which over the South and Gulf is intensifying. Increasing rainfall in the lower South and strength wind-wave in the Gulf so that all ship should proceed with caution and small boat should be off-shore during Jan 9-14, 2009.

Must be the longest Thailand 'cold' spell in recent years (at least in my going on 14 years here). Started early/mid Nov and except for the past few days, has continued on. Big wind last night and the high pressure from China is back. Most noticeable is the drop in humidity which is most welcomed but feels downright chilly to many whom live here (prob for some Expats too- at least for this one). Those up North must really be feeling it.

(to others looking in from overseas, please forgive this entire post...) :o

How cold is it in celsius?? is it the wind chill factor, and it seams colder than the actual ambient temp???

I will be moving back to Los in a few weeks.... just to put it in perspective though, It has been -35/-45c without the wind chill, for the last few weeks here where I am working, in the oil fields of Northern Alberta Canada..... I don't care how bad of an idea it is to leave my job and move to Thailand at the moment with the world the way it is.. but I just cant take another year of this...... -45c is to painful......

went out the other night down sukhumvit soi 4 wearing a long sleeved sweater, didnt sweat once.

saying that i have a small sweat on my forehead as im typing here. However i think thats last nights chang trying to works its way out.

Edited by BygonKeaw

How cold is it in celsius?? is it the wind chill factor, and it seams colder than the actual ambient temp???

I will be moving back to Los in a few weeks.... just to put it in perspective though, It has been -35/-45c without the wind chill, for the last few weeks here where I am working, in the oil fields of Northern Alberta Canada..... I don't care how bad of an idea it is to leave my job and move to Thailand at the moment with the world the way it is.. but I just cant take another year of this...... -45c is to painful......

think about it this way, all that money you are making up there in the oil sands can bring you alot of warmth once you arrive in Los. :o

Dont know about anywhere else but in bangkok now in late evening it might be 25C and feel like 25C where as a few months ago it could of been 30C but feeling like 36C

The humidity goes.

As we speak its 28C feeling like 28C if it was a few months ago it would be 28C feeling like 35C for example.

Edited by BygonKeaw

Man you must be in hel_l on earth! Minus 45 that must be Fahrenheit, surely couldnt be Celsius. How cold is that? :o

Have not used my aircon for about 3 months now, Nice and cool in my apartment and I do not even use a fan during the day !

My missus still puts the aircon on at night even if ts 20C outside, she sets it as 24C inside????????

I think its an obbession of with wasting money :o

I soon turn it off once i get to bed, open the windows and turn the fan on.

Man you must be in hel_l on earth! Minus 45 that must be Fahrenheit, surely couldnt be Celsius. How cold is that? :o

Most of northern Canada has subarctic or arctic climates, with long cold winters lasting 8 to 11 months, short sunny summers, and little precipitation. In contrast, the populated south has a variety of climatological landscapes. The greatest temperature range is in the Northwest Territories, where the average temperature at Fort Good Hope ranges from–31°C (–24°F) in January to 16°C (61°F) in July.

Have not used my aircon for about 3 months now, Nice and cool in my apartment and I do not even use a fan during the day !

My missus still puts the aircon on at night even if ts 20C outside, she sets it as 24C inside????????

You know that, My computers and TV's in my place cost so much a month that the cold weather is welcomed greatly. Since I have not been using the aircon my chest and throat feel so much better.

You know that, My computers and TV's in my place cost so much a month that the cold weather is welcomed greatly. Since I have not been using the aircon my chest and throat feel so much better.

Even if you do use the a/c its even cheaper in the cool weather because that box outside doesnt need to work so much to change the temp i guess. Typically if the a/c runs for 12 hours per night in this season it only uses 5 units a night compared to 7 units when its really hot. hahaha you can tell i worry about money right?

Most of northern Canada has subarctic or arctic climates, with long cold winters lasting 8 to 11 months, short sunny summers, and little precipitation. In contrast, the populated south has a variety of climatological landscapes. The greatest temperature range is in the Northwest Territories, where the average temperature at Fort Good Hope ranges from–31°C (–24°F) in January to 16°C (61°F) in July.

This wandered into my Father's west-coast suburban home and has taken up residence (they're feeding it apples and no, they're not fattening it up, or keeping it) :D

DadDeer.jpg

Worst snow fall accumulations ever in many parts of the Pacific North West. A Thai gal pal in uni at U of W went to Whistler a few weeks back and complained there was no snow in the village at the time, then drove back to Seattle to a blinding snowstorm. Suffice to say she's had enough of snow now... Meanwhile, my complaints back home about the 'big chill' in Bkk just draws scorn... (justifiably I might add) :D

(PS: hope the gas gets turned back on in E Europe soon - what a sad fiasco)

At the Nong Khai border crossing on Monday morning at 6:00AM it was soo cold you could see your breath in the air. I even took a picture of it with my mobile phone to prove it. It was the BEST weather I've felt in this oven hot country in more than 4 years, abso-tively, posi-lutely beautiful, (then again I hate the heat)

The people from the Philippines on the visa trip were bundled in blankets and stocking hats, freezing nearly to death.

What is truly sad is that many hundreds of thais die from exposure in weather I wouldn't even begin to consider cold.

While Bangkok can in no way be considered at all cold no matter how you skew it; it is noticeably cooler, and I haven't run the air-con in several months now, just fans.

What is truly sad is that many hundreds of thais die from exposure in weather I wouldn't even begin to consider cold.

True. I took my gf to England in April. The weather was mild ....but not to her. When indoors she was constantly draped over the radiator , when outdoors she was wrapped up like eskimo Nell. Her most cherished souvenier from England is the hot water bottle she bought on day two, which was more or less her constant companion.

Just a little trivia. -40 degrees is the only point that Celsius and Fahrenheit are equal. Anyway, Canada uses the metric system for temperature, so would guess Celsius.

At the Nong Khai border crossing on Monday morning at 6:00AM it was soo cold you could see your breath in the air. I even took a picture of it with my mobile phone to prove it. It was the BEST weather I've felt in this oven hot country in more than 4 years, abso-tively, posi-lutely beautiful, (then again I hate the heat)

The people from the Philippines on the visa trip were bundled in blankets and stocking hats, freezing nearly to death.

While Bangkok can in no way be considered at all cold no matter how you skew it; it is noticeably cooler, and I haven't run the air-con in several months now, just fans.

Trust me tod i have felt cold in bkk in the last month or so, mind you im in surburban bkk rather than the heat trap of the city centre.

Do not know where the stats came from , but my daughter owns and operates a snowmobile buisiness in Northern Ontario , she is right on the line where it says "This is where the true north begins ". In the winter the temperature drops as low as -40/45 and in the summer as high as 35 celsus , 28 degrees is considered a hot summers day and 35 too bl@@dy hot for work or comfort . :o

Edited by dumball

here in china, i have been suffering the cold, the howling wind, my fingers and toes have had chilblains, it's killing me, i hate the winter, and the snowflake.

If I could I would give you +10 degrees in exchange of - 10 degrees

South Thailand is very hot all year round except some days in Dez/Jan

WARNING: "Colder weather over upper Thailand and high wave in the Gulf"

source: Thai Meteorological Department Thai Meteorological Department site (in English)

Time Issued : January 09, 2009

The surge of intense high pressure system from China has extended its ridge to cover upper Thailand.

This cause colder weather and 2-3 °C drop with windy in the areas. While the northeast monsoon which over the South and Gulf is intensifying. Increasing rainfall in the lower South and strength wind-wave in the Gulf so that all ship should proceed with caution and small boat should be off-shore during Jan 9-14, 2009.

[/quote

Well, we've got no waves in Sisaket, but therefore cold wind from China. About 16 Degrees Celsius at night saves you money. Baksidas don't need ice in their beer. The buffaloes in town are wearing sweaters and jackets. Their two legs are mostly covered in jeans or jiins. Anything else is like it was before. God shave the English Queen.