Should My Wife Change Her Name On Thai Id And Passport?

My wife (Thai/U.S. duel citizen) and I (U.S. citizen) have a U.S. marriage license and are moving back to live in Thailand. All her legal documents in Thailand such as ID card, driver's license, and Thai passport are all in her maiden name. Should we get these all changed to her married name or does it really matter? Something tells me I should just "leave well enough alone."

Does the Thai government need to know she's now married?

She should change everything to show she is married. It will mean a trip to the Amphoe for most and will be the first place she needs to start.

You will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to start the process. Info follows.

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

If you plan on getting an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration it will be mandatory she change everything.

She should change everything to show she is married. It will mean a trip to the Amphoe for most and will be the first place she needs to start.

You will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to start the process. Info follows.

The Legalisation Division

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

If you plan on getting an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration it will be mandatory she change everything.

Sounds like fun. I love hot gov't buildings... :o

Thanks for the advice! Makes the decision much easier.

Sounds like fun. I love hot gov't buildings... :o

Thanks for the advice! Makes the decision much easier.

The translation and certification can be done in one trip to a translator. They will handle the entire thing for you for a small fee and even EMS the paperwork back to you when finished.

The trip to Amphoe will be the one where your wifes house registration is at and should not take very long and many are airconditioned.

"If you plan on getting an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration it will be mandatory she change everything."

Really? I thought since the government allows a woman to choose to use her single or married name, that it would not be mandatory.

"If you plan on getting an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration it will be mandatory she change everything."

Really? I thought since the government allows a woman to choose to use her single or married name, that it would not be mandatory.

It is mostly the marriage registration that is needed. It needs to show up on her house book at least.

Also I do not know how immigration handles not using the husbands name since the the marriage has be proven to be "de jure" and "de facto" according to the rules.

The same situation as my wife and I except Australian - Thai.

When we registered our marriage at the Amphurs Office, Samut Prakarn (local government office) we used my name and Nings maiden name. Works fine for all Thai authorities and have the marriage certificate translated into english for dealing with all Australian government authorites. Her Thai ID, bank, blue book, drivers license evertything OK.

But you must have your marriage registered in Thailand at the local Amphurs office in the province in which you live for your marriage to be leagally recognized here in Thailand.

We found this best but it may not suit everyone.

Correct, it's not mandatory. All you need is the marriage certificate and other docs.

Correct, it's not mandatory. All you need is the marriage certificate and other docs.

I made my mandatory to inclusive.

The marriage is still going to have to be registerd in Thailand and the marriage will be entered in the house book.

I would be concerned about immigration questioning the marriage as being "de jure" and "de facto".

You have to remember that a lot depends upon the opinion of the immigration officer.

My wife did not have the choice when we got married because it was before they made the rule changes but she still would of done it anyway.

I can only see headaches from not doing the name change.

One bit of misinformation that keeps people from doing the change is thinking that a Thai married to a foreigner cannot buy land or property. That was changed a number of years ago. The husband might have to sign a letter stating that it is her money that is being used for the purchase.

Registering the marriage in Thailand is enough. My wife was presented an option in Bang Rak office. "Tick here if you want to keep your own name" type of option in the doc's... So no need to change if she does not want to.

But you must have your marriage registered in Thailand at the local Amphurs office in the province in which you live for your marriage to be leagally recognized here in Thailand.

I thought that Thailand rocognized legally binding marriages from other countries? My wife and I got married in the UK and when we went back to Thailand for a holiday, she changed her I.D. card (Took 15 minutes) and her passport to her married name (She had to get a new passport).

We had to get our marriage certificate translated, then her I.D. card changed in her home town then when we went back to BKK she handed her I.D. card, translated marriage certificate along with her old passport in and 1 week later when we returned to BKK she picked up her new passport, pretty straightforward to be honest. Her UK visa was in her old passport so she had to show both passports at immigration in Manchester because she was travelling on her maiden name but she needed her permitted to stay stamp in her new passport, she was still held up on arrival in to the UK as the dozy bird didn't like the look of my wife it seems and asked her 101 questions.

Edited by Brigante7

I thought that Thailand rocognized legally binding marriages from other countries? My wife and I got married in the UK and when we went back to Thailand for a holiday, she changed her I.D. card (Took 15 minutes) and her passport to her married name (She had to get a new passport).

We had to get our marriage certificate translated but that was it. She dropped her passport and translated marriage certificate off and picked up her new passport 1 week later, pretty straight forward.

They do recognize them. But it needs to be put into the goverment registry system.

When your wife got her ID that was when the marriage was registerd here and I would guess they put a record of it in her house book also.

If you were getting re-married it would mean getting a letter from the embassy having it translated, certified and then a trip to the Amphoe.

If nothing is done she will be able to purchase land without any problems. Register and change to a farang name and kiss easy purchase goodbye.

I disagree. My wife has registered land purchases without any problem because she has my last name.

There have many reports saying the same.

If nothing is done she will be able to purchase land without any problems. Register and change to a farang name and kiss easy purchase goodbye.

This comment is not correct for those buying in the Bangkok area. My wife, using her married name, just complete the third purchase of land without a problem. It did require that I, a non-Thai, sign a form declaring I have no interest or claim on the property. This form took all of 10 minutes to complete and was provided at the land office. My wife has used her married name since 1970 with no problems with any transaction.

Edited by asiaexpat

All her legal documents in Thailand such as ID card, driver's license, and Thai passport are all in her maiden name. Should we get these all changed to her married name or does it really matter?

If she plans to travel, and do the dual citizenship jig (recommended for long term stay in Thailand scenarios), whereby she enters Thailand on her Thai passport, and the US on her US passport, she'll need to have just one name on both passports and ticket -- or the discrepancy will be noted, and probably cause a problem.

Edited by JimGant

All her legal documents in Thailand such as ID card, driver's license, and Thai passport are all in her maiden name. Should we get these all changed to her married name or does it really matter?

If she plans to travel, and do the dual citizenship jig (recommended for long term stay in Thailand scenarios), whereby she enters Thailand on her Thai passport, and the US on her US passport, she'll need to have just one name on both passports and ticket -- or the discrepancy will be noted, and probably cause a problem.

Agreed.

Don’t’ know for sure if that does cause problems, but it sure seems to me having two passports with the same name sure would be better then two in different names, that alone would be enough to change to married name.

The note on farang surname impacting property purchase is rubbish.

TH

• 5 weeks later...

We had to get our marriage certificate translated, then her I.D. card changed in her home town then when we went back to BKK she handed her I.D. card, translated marriage certificate along with her old passport in and 1 week later when we returned to BKK she picked up her new passport, pretty straightforward to be honest. Her UK visa was in her old passport so she had to show both passports at immigration in Manchester because she was travelling on her maiden name but she needed her permitted to stay stamp in her new passport, she was still held up on arrival in to the UK as the dozy bird didn't like the look of my wife it seems and asked her 101 questions.

My wife says she can get a new ID card at any Amphoer? She is planning to do this in Chiang Mai. Is a translation of our U.S. marriage certificate all she needs or does it need certification or something?

The translation has to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Many translation companies can get the certification done for you for a small additional fee.

Legalization Division

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054

My wife says she can get a new ID card at any Amphoer? She is planning to do this in Chiang Mai. Is a translation of our U.S. marriage certificate all she needs or does it need certification or something?

A couple of years ago I was under the impression we could do this but ended up being told that we had to go to my wifes local amphur - might have changed since then though.

Edited by Orac

The note on farang surname impacting property purchase is rubbish.

TH

My wife bought two small plots of land (chanote I believe) a couple of months ago whilst I was back in England however, for one of them, she has had to register it in her mothers name as I wasn't present to countersign the documents - apparently we have three months to change this. When I asked how she had managed to register the other purchase in her name she said it was no problem as she was able to forge my signature????

• 6 months later...
But you must have your marriage registered in Thailand at the local Amphurs office in the province in which you live for your marriage to be legally recognized here in Thailand.

What are the advantages of having a legally recognized marriage -- other than maybe being needed for extensions of stay based on marriage (my extensions are due to retirement)?

Been married for 30 years. Wife kept her Thai name. She's never registered the marriage at the Amphur.

I'm sure if push came to shove, our US marriage certificate would validate our marriage.

But why should anyone care? The wife, because of the old law, masqueraded as a 'miss,' and still does when the block options are only 'miss' and 'mrs.' (Believe 'ms' is now allowed, which says 'none of your business as to my marital status.').

What's the downside to this? She's leased the land to me -- whether we were married or not didn't seem to alter anything. Her Will leaves everything to me, "her husband." (Again, marriage certificate would seem to trump any non-registration at the Amphur.)

Maybe masquerading as a 'miss' all these years could be considered fraudulent. But in no context can I imagine would this have caused any damage -- so why would this ever be brought up?

Maybe I'm missing something. Anybody see something I don't?

It's not only fraudulent it probably a violation of the law. I am sure that there is a law or regulation that requires a Thai to notify them of their martial status.

For anybody wanting to get an extension of stay based upon marriage it is mandatory now.

Someday this will come back and bite you in the backside for not doing it. There was a reason before 1998 when they changed the property ownership law but not now.

There is a recent example in a post of it biting somebody. They have applied for permanent residency and should soon be getting it. Now he has the problem of being entered in a house book. His wife has never reported her marriage so now they have a problem with property ownership and registering him in her house book.

Slightly related, but as I am going to be doing this soon, discussion has turned to the name change thing, and TGF wants to keep her family name (2 girls) as a middle name, is this possible in Thailand. I know that in Japan they don't even have space on the form, anyone know for sure??

Oz