700 Year Stadium Athletics

mnbcm

I've read a few places that the facilities at 700 year stadium are open to the public for a fee. Does anyone go there? What kind of facilities are there? How much does it cost?

I'm most interested in finding a basketball court.

I belong to the 700b statium. Cost per year is B500. I use the pool and the cost to swim is B30, non member B60. Not sure about B-ball but to use the gym I belive it's B20. I'm sure you may use the courts for a non member fee, see if you like it, then join for the year and pay less each time you go.

Also not into tennis but the tennis courts look very nice.

Behind the pool there is golf pratice. So, my wife who loves to golf swings her clubs and putts during the time I swim. Works out well.

Go Lakers!

Various people have mentioned to me previously that a lot of people take their dogs to the vicinity of the stadium for walks. In the absence of a dog park here, it is the closest thing to one here in CM.

We went to the stadium a couple of days back and was greeted by a No Dogs Allowed sign at the entrance. Was it not in the stadium compounds? The grassy areas look very nice indeed!

st11x,

If you follow the canal road, passing the 700 years stadium a little more (1 - 2 km's) then you'll see a sign board on your left saying Huay Thung Tao. Turn left there and follow the road till you reach the guard. Pay your ticket and give it back at the next guard. After the second guard you'll reach a T-section. Here you take a left again till you reach a large parking lot. Here you will see a big buddha statue. right of this statue is a paved road that goes down to the lake. You can go there with your car as well.

Definitely in the weekends dogs are not allowed to swim here. So far i have heard, during week-days it is still tolerated but not allowed.

What you also can do is taking one of the forest path leading you up the forest.

Wishing you and your dogs a fun walk. :o

Nienke

You can find a Basketball court at the stadium near Wat Koh Tao

700 stadium, swimming pool 60 bath member 30 baht, to be a member 500 baht. Pool is very good the best in Chiang Mai.

cheers

Does CMU have any courts?

I've read a few places that the facilities at 700 year stadium are open to the public for a fee. Does anyone go there? What kind of facilities are there? How much does it cost?

For a family it costs 1,000 baht but there are a few facilities that you'd still have to pay a discounted fee. The office is located on the northern side of the ring road in the complex. They're helpful and have some English skills as some of the folks there were Olympic athletes for the country...

For a family it costs 1,000 baht but there are a few facilities that you'd still have to pay a discounted fee. The office is located on the northern side of the ring road in the complex. They're helpful and have some English skills as some of the folks there were Olympic athletes for the country...

Is that where the velodrome is? I went to the office to see if I could use the velodrome and nobody seemed to know. Any information would be warmly received.

Is that where the velodrome is? I went to the office to see if I could use the velodrome and nobody seemed to know. Any information would be warmly received.

Ianf,

Just go ahead and use it! I've do so quite a few times. Seems the thing to do when nobody stops you...

• 4 weeks later...

Ianf,

Just go ahead and use it! I've do so quite a few times. Seems the thing to do when nobody stops you...

Thank you. But it was all locked up and gated when we saw it!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I actually went out to the 700 Stadium Sports Complex today and got some information. The current fees are attached in the PDF. I was impressed with the quality of the facilities and prices. Pictures attached too. All I really wanted to do was use the basketball court inside, but the office refused to let me use it unless I paid 1,000 baht an hour. I guess it's meant for teams and big groups. The courts outside are kind of junk for basketball. It was open and had a guard but absolutely nobody there. Oh well... :o

There are free badminton courts outside and a nice running track around the whole complex. The weightlifting and exercise equipment looked pretty good too but I didn't get a picture of it. I thought it was interesting they were letting kids jump off the olympic high dive. I've always wanted to try that; might have to make a special trip just for that. :D

700_Stadium_Fees.pdf

post-55680-1235830957_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1235830967_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1235830973_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1235830980_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1235830986_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1235831113_thumb.jpg

Edited by mnbcm

700th Anniversary of Chiang Mai Sports Complex (Sanam Jet Roi Pee)

(Old article from 2003 Some things have changed)

No this is not a 700 year old sports stadium. No red brick ruins, and the only ancient athletic rituals held here are more of the Greek olympic variety. It's a modern sports complex, built in the mid-1990's for the South East Asian Games and named to commemorate the 700th anniversary of the founding of Chiang Mai.

Sanam jet roi pee (for local drivers) is located at the base of Doi Suthep/Doi Pui, on the west side of the irrigation canal road, 4.2 kilometers north of Huay Kaew Road, just east of City Hall. The park is identifiable by the large ornimental gate over the south entrance road, and the large swimming pool stadium visable from t he canal road. There is a second entrance just north of the pool stadium.

This is a multiple stadium sports event complex and community sports and exercise facility, operated by the Sports Authority of Thailand, Region 5, Boonthan Muangchuen, director.

One of the most popular facilities is the swimming pool, by far the best in Chiang Mai for serious lap swimming. It's a 50 meter olympic pool and adjacent diving pool with spring boards and platforms. The pool water is clean and clear and well maintained. The chlorine level is high (as it should be for algae and disease control) but not excessive. The deck is in good condition, but the pool tiles are in disrepair with many loose and missing tiles. I mention this to caution you about sharp edges, I cut my foot once. There are toilets, showers and changing booths. There are suposed to be lockers available for an additional fee. I've never used them or seen an attendant.

[The following may have changed]

The pool is open 9am to 8pm, Tuesday through Sunday. Closed Monday and sometimes unexpectedly for holidays and events. Entrance fee is 40 baht for adult non-members, 20 for members. Children (through high school or 20 years old) are 1/2 the adult fee. Swimming lessons are available.

A couple of notes: This pool is not suitable for small children or non-swimmers. The shallowest part (each end) is over one meter deep. (Chiang Mai Land pool, in the southeast part of town, is more appropriate for young kids and for family fun and relaxation.) Also, serious lap swimmers accustomed to courteous pool etiquette and lane occupancy respect may be disappointed. It's a free-for-all with no designated lanes or times for lap swimmers. During busy hours be ready for cross-pool swimmers and head-on lane traffic. Avoid late afternoons and evenings when it is most crowded, but from opening through mid-day, especially non-holiday week days, there are few people using the pool.

Other facilities in the complex include: a tennis center, with instructor available, pro shop and racket rentals. Court fees are 40 baht per hour per court, for non-members, 1/2 price for members. There is also a shooting range, a main stadium, three indoor stadiums and a velodrome (bicycle racing stadium), an outdoor football field and running track, and outdoor courts for basketball, volleyball, badminton, sepak takraw and aerobic dance. The perimeter road is used by many people, especially in the evenings for a 2 K jogging and cycling track.

There is a 70 room hotel/event dormitory, near the main stadium. The hotel houses a decent inexpensive restaurant open from 7 am (although it has been closed lately, I hope only temporarily). Khun Songpol Muangsri is the hotel manager.

The weight room, called fitness center is located in the hotel. Open 8am to 8pm, there is a use fee of 20 baht/non-members or 10 baht for members. [Now at the swimming pool; 30bt/15bt] This is a spacious, well ventilated room with lots of windows opening to allow a natural airflow off the base of the mountain. I prefer this to air conditioning for my workouts. There is no trainer, attendant or water available (until the restaurant is open). If you use a towel or equipment wipe-down disinfectant, bring your own.

There is a full range of basic weight resistance exercise equipment, but there are some deficiences for the serous fitness buff who is used to modern western gyms. Forget about sustained cardio-vascular exercise here, unless you do your own jumping jacks. The stationary bikes are barely functional and the only treadmill seems to be permanently out of service. You won't find high-end Nautilus or Cybex type machines here, but there is enough selection of resistance for basic muscle groups. It's mostly old Joe Wieder, Universal type machines and a minimal selection of free-weights and benches. You can build your own dumbells and barbells if you want to go heavy. Real big men, serious lifters, may not have enough free-weight here. Like the other facilities in the complex, late afternoons /evenings see the most use. Morning and mid-day you may have the weight room all to yourself.

Up in back of the hotel (outside of the 700 yr complex) you will find a reservoir and trails for hiking, dog walking or mountain biking. Some trails connect with Huay Tung Tao park about 3 K to the north.

The Chiang Mai Sports Complex has membership available for Thais and expats. It's 500 baht per year individual or 1000 for family membership (up to 5 persons). There are also special student and group rates. Apply at the pool entrance desk (Khun Mam speaks some English). You need 2 photos (1" ) and ID. Membership allows you discounted entry to most of the paid activities (not aerobic dance). There doesn't seem to be any other benefits, I've received no mailing or notification of events or closures.

Be advised that the complex sometime hosts auto and motorcycle drag races. It's my pet peeve. The noise and air pollution is horrible, not suitable for healthy exercise. And they block off the perimeter road and some of the outdoor courts unexpectedly, inconveniencing regular facility users. And of course the racers don't always restrict their speeding to the designated track, beware and watch your children.

Other than that it's a great park where you can get some good exercise and possibly meet other health minded people.

I actually went out to the 700 Stadium Sports Complex today and got some information. The current fees are attached in the PDF. I was impressed with the quality of the facilities and prices. Pictures attached too. All I really wanted to do was use the basketball court inside, but the office refused to let me use it unless I paid 1,000 baht an hour. I guess it's meant for teams and big groups. The courts outside are kind of junk for basketball. It was open and had a guard but absolutely nobody there. Oh well... :o

There are free badminton courts outside and a nice running track around the whole complex. The weightlifting and exercise equipment looked pretty good too but I didn't get a picture of it. I thought it was interesting they were letting kids jump off the olympic high dive. I've always wanted to try that; might have to make a special trip just for that. :D

mnbcm, thanks for trying, but nothing in that pdf applies to the velodrome. Like Ian, I'd like to use it too. A couple of years ago, it was open on a regular basis, but hasn't been open anytime I've been there in the last year. There's growing interest in using it but no one will bring a track bike to Thailand if there isn't a clear and consistent schedule as to when it will be open.

mnbcm, thanks for trying, but nothing in that pdf applies to the velodrome. Like Ian, I'd like to use it too. A couple of years ago, it was open on a regular basis, but hasn't been open anytime I've been there in the last year. There's growing interest in using it but no one will bring a track bike to Thailand if there isn't a clear and consistent schedule as to when it will be open.

What did they say in the office?? The office is in front of the tennis courts by the main road.

"Does CMU have any courts?"

Seems a little late to answer your question, but yes they do. Where I live we can hear them playing tennis at CMU. The play mostly early mornings but must have lights because we can hear the ball going back and fouth sometimes before 10pm. Nice sound really.