Getting Married Then Non-imm Visa

My wife and I got married in Canada and few months ago and now just again in her village. We are going to do the legal marriage now with the gov't and then I will change my tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa.

I know we need to prove 40,000b combined income between us but is that needed to get the marriage papers or to get the non-imm visa?

Also, where is the marriage done, in her Ampur, in BKK?

To prove the income, I imagine that I need to get a letter from Canadian Embassy/Consulate? She has a bar in her name and could report any income she feels like (but would have to pay tax on it now) and I have a Canadian company that I also get enough income from so we could swing it from whichever end is more convenient.

Any info about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

You do not have to get married again. You need to have your Canadian marriage certificate translated and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You take that translation and copy of original to the Amphoe (district office) where you wife is registered as living in her house book. They will register your marriage and give you a Thai marriage certificate there. At the same time they will enter the marriage in her house book and she can apply for a new ID at the same time.

You can find a translation company in Bangkok to do the translation and get the certification for a small additional fee. Most will even EMS it all to you when finished. If not here is info for the MFA office.

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

Have a look at 2.18 of this police order for extension requirements: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

There have been some changes and a combined income is no longer allowed but you can put 400K in the bank for 60 days again. If you can prove the income by way of an affidavit done at the embassy that would be the best way.

As said for the 12 month extension it has to be your income or your 400,000 In a Thai bank. Not your Wifes

Thanks a lot for the quick info. I don't have the money in the bank, so what is the monthly required income, 35,000b? And does it need to be deposited directly into a Thai bank account each month?

Edited by blakegeee

You do not have to get married again. You need to have your Canadian marriage certificate translated and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You take that translation and copy of original to the Amphoe (district office) where you wife is registered as living in her house book. They will register your marriage and give you a Thai marriage certificate there. At the same time they will enter the marriage in her house book and she can apply for a new ID at the same time.

You can find a translation company in Bangkok to do the translation and get the certification for a small additional fee. Most will even EMS it all to you when finished. If not here is info for the MFA office.

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

Have a look at 2.18 of this police order for extension requirements: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

There have been some changes and a combined income is no longer allowed but you can put 400K in the bank for 60 days again. If you can prove the income by way of an affidavit done at the embassy that would be the best way.

We haven't even received the marriage certificate from Canada. These things are known to take months. It sounds to me like it would be much simpler to just get married in Thailand than translate the Canadian papers once I get them. Is there any problem or disadvantage of doing it that way?

As said for the 12 month extension it has to be your income or your 400,000 In a Thai bank. Not your Wifes

Thanks a lot for the quick info. I don't have the money in the bank, so what is the monthly required income, 35,000b? And does it need to be deposited directly into a Thai bank account each month?

It is 40,000 baht per month. You do not need to put it in the bank every month. You will have to go your embassy and get an affidavit to prove your income.
We haven't even received the marriage certificate from Canada. These things are known to take months. It sounds to me like it would be much simpler to just get married in Thailand than translate the Canadian papers once I get them. Is there any problem or disadvantage of doing it that way?
You can get married here again.

The difference is that you are going to need a letter from the embassy that states that you can get married. Then you will need to have it translated and certified at the MFA.

Then the trip to the Amphoe.

Contact info for your embassy: http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/bangko...embassy-en.aspx

Will having two different wedding dates, months apart, not make him suspect of bigamy if both dates should show up on a computer? And which of the two wedding dates will he put on forms in future where this information is asked?

What kind of country is this where you don’t get the marriage certificate immediately after the marriage registration?

--

Maestro

Will having two different wedding dates, months apart, not make him suspect of bigamy if both dates should show up on a computer? And which of the two wedding dates will he put on forms in future where this information is asked?

What kind of country is this where you don't get the marriage certificate immediately after the marriage registration?

--

Maestro

I just anwered the OP's question. But it can't be bigamy becaue it's the same two people getting married. In fact I have done it.

Ask Canada why is takes months.

It is 40,000 baht per month. You do not need to put it in the bank every month. You will have to go your embassy and get an affidavit to prove your income.

The difference is that you are going to need a letter from the embassy that states that you can get married. Then you will need to have it translated and certified at the MFA.

Then the trip to the Amphoe.

Contact info for your embassy: http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/bangko...embassy-en.aspx

Thanks a lot for all the info.

So the proof of income is required for the marriage not for the visa, correct? I will have to talk to the embassy to find out what they need as proof of income? I imagine a few months of bank statements should do it. Does anyone know how many months they would need? Is there anything else that I need to bring there? I don't want to go to Bangkok more than once for this. It would be nice to get it all right the first time. Then the embassy gives me a letter stating that I have enough income to get married. Then the letter is translated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then we take that letter to her Ampur to get married. Am I missing anything?

Then once married, can I just go to the Chiang Mai immigration to get my tourist visa changed to a non-imm visa?

So the proof of income is required for the marriage not for the visa, correct? I will have to talk to the embassy to find out what they need as proof of income? I imagine a few months of bank statements should do it. Does anyone know how many months they would need? Is there anything else that I need to bring there? I don't want to go to Bangkok more than once for this. It would be nice to get it all right the first time. Then the embassy gives me a letter stating that I have enough income to get married. Then the letter is translated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then we take that letter to her Ampur to get married. Am I missing anything?

Then once married, can I just go to the Chiang Mai immigration to get my tourist visa changed to a non-imm visa?

All Wrong.

The proof of income is for the 12 month extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai Lady. And to change your Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O to enable you to apply for the extension. They would probably want to see actual proof of an income/pension etc. Not bank statements.

To Marry her you will need an Afirmation to Marry letter from the Embassy which means that you are free to Marry Her as you are not already married. Seeing as you are already married to her, I am totally confused. :o

Don't know if things have changed since 2006 when we got married but i had to go out of Thailand to get my non "o" (based on marriage) i was on a tourist visa before and received non o in Vientianne.

also believe that the 40k a month option is for the under 50's only and money in the bank if over 50

Edited by princealbert

Don't know if things have changed since 2006 when we got married but i had to go out of Thailand to get my non "o" (based on marriage) i was on a tourist visa before and received non o in Vientianne.

also believe that the 40k a month option is for the under 50's only and money in the bank if over 50

A Tourist Visa can be changed to a Non O Visa at Immigration if part of the proceass of applying for a 12 month extension.

The requirement for a Marriage extension is 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR 40,000 Baht monthly income.

Nof sure about Chiang Mai but it is normal prodedure at most immigration offices that a change of visa status can be done if married and you have the income or money in the bank requirements met.

It was income only of 40K per month utill the latest change now 400K in bank for 60 days is an option.

The over 50 comment I assume you are writing about a retiremnent extension it also has a money in the bank option.

A Tourist Visa can be changed to a Non O Visa at Immigration if part of the proceass of applying for a 12 month extension.

The requirement for a Marriage extension is 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR 40,000 Baht monthly income.

Things really have changed then, December 2006 this was not the case. I wanted to go down the money in the bank route but was told that i couldn't as was under 50, and Chiang Mai imm. were quite adamant about me having to get my non "o" outside Thailand, the 3 month non "o" i received from the Thai consul in was only made up to a total of 12 months (inc the 3 months from Laos) with my income proven with a UK embassy confirmation letter.

Things really have changed then, December 2006 this was not the case. I wanted to go down the money in the bank route but was told that i couldn't as was under 50, and Chiang Mai imm. were quite adamant about me having to get my non "o" outside Thailand, the 3 month non "o" i received from the Thai consul in was only made up to a total of 12 months (inc the 3 months from Laos) with my income proven with a UK embassy confirmation letter.

Yes. All changed 25th November 2008. Now you can have 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 60 days befor you apply.

This is the new Police Order.

They would probably want to see actual proof of an income/pension etc. Not bank statements.

Could you give me an example of what "actual proof of an income" means? I don't have a pension and I am far from retiring. I have a company in Canada and my customers pay me through PayPal and then I transfer it to my bank account. Other than bank statements, I don't know what else I could show.

With a letter from your company in Canada stating how much you are being paid you go to the Canadian embassy in Bangkok and get the so-called embassy letter. This embassy letter is the evidence of income that the immigration office wants from you.

--

Maestro

Ok I just spoke to the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok. I just need to bring my passport and 1400b. I sign an afidavit stating my income and that I am not already married. Than they sign it to and I get it translated and bring it to Ministry of Foreign Affairs. No proof needed for proving I am not married or my income. That makes it much simpler!