A Vet Question...

My wife was recently attacked by one of OUR dogs when attempting to help after it was hit by a car, causing some pretty nasty lacerations. I realise the dog was in pain, but a dog biting its owner really is the end of the line.

In Europe if a dog bites a human it must be destroyed by law but when I contacted local vets none of them would have any of it. "If you want it dead, you kill it." Of course I do not have the stomach for that so the dog is walking around doing exactly as she pleases as we dare not discipline her now because once a dog bites a human they can no longer be trusted.

Any ideas why vets will not help? After all, it could be their spouse next.

I understand what it is like to be bit by a dog. I am not critising your wife, she was only trying to help the dog. Having said that, a dog is an animal and if it is the case that you have owned the dog for a considerable time and that it has NEVER bitten anyone in that time, then don't you think you are being a bit harsh on the thing??

If it was hit by a car in any serious way, then it was injured, in pain and very scared, I don't think for one minute (if you are telling me this is completely out of character for this dog) that it had any malicious intent to hurt your wife. It was most likely in alot of pain, scared and didnt really know what it was doing when it bit her. They arnt the same as humans & the poor thing can't talk to your wife, nor probably understand what she was saying or doing at the time. Its brain would of been in shock and it was trying to cope with pain and it was simply trying to preventing any further injury or pain.

Once before I had a similar situation where a dog had been hit by a car and I was trying to help it, the first thing I did was ensure my own safety and restrain its mouth.

Having said all of that, most thai vets wont destroy the animals because of their buddhist beliefs.

I don't know your history with the animal or its previous behaviour, but are you sure you want to destroy it? :o

baboon

rule number one when treating any injured animal including your beloved pet is TIE ITS MOUTH SHUT OR MUZZLE IT (if its a carnivore); for other animals other styles

once a dog bites a human of course u can trust it... it was biting out of fear and pain, not aggression....

and if she's walking around doing as she pleases, then u will soon have a nut case dog with behavior problems on your hand...

it took me six months to teach my monsterous little lhasa apso not to bite, and another six to teach him not to bite feet, and two more months to teach him not to attack his leash and harness (after he had been bitten up by group of dogs he became very sensitive to things on him)... now he is a loving, well adapted small dog.

my previous boxer (rip) was also initially a biter (even an aggressor, as he was an adoptee). it took about 5 months of intensive 'retraining' to stop it, and he lived for 11 years as a wonderful non biting boxer.

so rethink, talk to nienke, dont put your dog down, she may still have pain /fright issues after the car accident that can be dealt with with some time, patience, routine, and medical attention.

no vet in israel will put a dog down if it bit someone during a dog fight (person tries to separate teh dogs and gets bitten) or after injury or during treatment. to put a dog down the dog must be proven as an aggressive dog that have personality problems and cannot be retrained by the majority of methods. and even then, those types go to the 'security' business (army/police/patrol). the only time 100% dog is put down is if it kills someone.

what breed is she? how old is she? do you really like her or are u just looking for an excuse to get rid of her? can she be rehomed?

stop and rethink before u do something, and no, most thais that i know of, if a dog is aggressive towards them or is a serial biter, just do it on their own (teh black bucket method or actually poisoning the dog which i dont advocate in any way but i know its done).

bina

israel

Putting a dog down for biting when it is in shock and pain seems extreme to me. This is a normal reaction for an animal and really you or your wife should have muzzled the dog first.

Dog owners really do need to learn about normal dog behavior and what is expected and what is unacceptable before deciding to put a family pet down.

My wife was recently attacked by one of OUR dogs when attempting to help after it was hit by a car, causing some pretty nasty lacerations. I realise the dog was in pain, but a dog biting its owner really is the end of the line.

In Europe if a dog bites a human it must be destroyed by law but when I contacted local vets none of them would have any of it. "If you want it dead, you kill it." Of course I do not have the stomach for that so the dog is walking around doing exactly as she pleases as we dare not discipline her now because once a dog bites a human they can no longer be trusted.

Any ideas why vets will not help? After all, it could be their spouse next.

incorrect information.

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify- the dog was struck by a glancing blow from the car and hobblrd across the road to where my wife was waiting before biting her. Having said that yes, on reflection putting her down is a tad harsh. I have sent off for some "Dog whisperer" stuff which should hopefully show me where I have been going wrong. Has anyone seen that show by the way?

Oxfordwill, I have been trying to train the wife for 5 years but there is no way I can get her to sit up and beg. :o