1st. Time Retirement Visa

Dear all;

Could anybody kindly provide me with an up to date list of documents, I need to apply for my Retirement Visa the first time at Pattaya Immigration. I go for the version 800'000 Baht in the bank for 3 month already....

Any additional advise is appreciated.

Thank you very much! :o

HS.

You should state what visa (if any) you are currently staying on.

Pattaya immigration doesn't grant retirement visas, only extensions based on retirement.

So what are you currently here on:

O? O-A? Tourist? 30 day stamp?

It makes a difference.

Also, the new rule is the money for 800K only needs to be in 2 months for the first extension, not 3 months.

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya immigration doesn't grant retirement visas, only extensions based on retirement.

So what are you currently here on:

O? O-A? Tourist? 30 day stamp?

It makes a difference.

Also, the new rule is the money for 800K only needs to be in 2 months for the first extension, not 3 months.

Thank you.

I am on a Non-Immigrant O, just came back into the country last night and got 3 months. The actual Visa expires on February 2nd.

Funds have been in account for several months.

Regards.

HS.

OK, my advice (yes I use Jomtien)

-- wait until you have 30 days left on your current 90 day permission to stay (O entry) to apply at immigration for a one year extension based on retirement. However, you don't have to wait, if your account is already seasoned for 2 months, you could go in now as Jomtien encourages early applications

-- the same day or the day before, get the letter from the bank showing the over 800K balance (the balance stated in this letter MUST match the balance in your bank passbook), the letter normally costs 200 baht, just ask for immigration letter and they will know what you want

-- Probably will not be asked for but good idea just in case: proof of international transfer of the funds (the Thai bank can supply). Don't give them this unless they ask.

- 1 copy of your bank passbook, front page with name and account number and all activity pages

- 1 copy of all pertinent info in your passport: front page, O visa, latest entry stamp, current landing card

- 1 copy of proof of address (a reported new requirement), a phone or electric bill in your name or if you don't have that, ask for more advice here

- visa application photos (I forget the size needed)?, bring 2, you may only need one

- no medical form or police clearance is needed

- be prepared to be interviewed about your previous employment and perhaps some other not too tough questions, they tend to interview first time extenders more than repeat offenders (ha ha)

-- 1900 baht

-- you must be at least 50 years old

-- dress neat, no shorts, no flip flops but no need for formal wear

-- expect them to hold your passport overnight to collect the next day, because of this you may prefer not to go on a Friday as then you would have to wait until Monday to get back your passport

-- if I have missed anything, others please add

Edited by Jingthing

\

Are you sure JT??????? as I got mine 3 weeks ago from there,, no problems whatsoever!!!!

>>Also, the new rule is the money for 800K only needs to be in 2 months for the first extension, not 3 months<<

They said 3 months to me for first time application ,last october at Jomtien Immigration .

It is 2 months new rules in November

I would also update passbook at the time of getting the letter

\

Are you sure JT??????? as I got mine 3 weeks ago from there,, no problems whatsoever!!!!

Yes, I am sure. The terminology is that only an O-A visa, available only in certain home countries is a retirement VISA. In Thailand, you get EXTENSIONS based on retirement. Of course you need an O or O-A visa originally to get these extensions in Thailand. You can also convert from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O visa in Thailand if you qualify for a retirement extension. But no retirement visas (O-As) here. We are just talking terminology.

BTW, as good a time as any to repeat that in my experience Jomtien does not care about how long your money is seasoned for SUBSEQUENT EXTENSIONS (using the 800K). They do care about first time extensions, and the rule is now two months seasoning needed for first time extensions.

Edited by Jingthing

As at November 2008

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21,

1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a

retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular

income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the

previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.

(:o If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55,

the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than 50,000 baht

When you get to Jomtien Immigration office stop at the copy shop to its left. Tell the man in the shop that you are getting an extension for retirement and give him all your papers. He will copy everything that needs copied and put it all together for you in the sequence that Immigration likes. The charge is about 150 or 200 baht. As stated above the main things needed are embassy letter, bank letter, bankbook, rent receipt for address verification, the Immigration extension of stay form, and a photo (the copy shop will make it for you if you don't have one). If you have any questions there is now an English-speaking falang behind a counter inside the Immigration door who will give you basic help.

If you are missing anything the man in the copy shop should notice and tell you he needs it to assemble the package.

Edited by rogercw

Dear all;

Could anybody kindly provide me with an up to date list of documents, I need to apply for my Retirement Visa the first time at Pattaya Immigration. I go for the version 800'000 Baht in the bank for 3 month already....

Any additional advise is appreciated.

Thank you very much! :o

HS.

Update....Have done it this afternoon....5 Minutes on each desk, very friendly and efficient service by both officers. Was told to have funds in bank 3 months before new extension in 1 year and not to forget the 90 day address reporting. Very positive experience. Thanks to your boards advise I had all prepared perfectly. Thanks you to you and Pattaya Immigration!

It was amazing to watch how many people came in totally unprepared...and dressed like the typical Pattaya slob. It shows once more what place we live in. I have lived in several countries around the world and even so I am highly critical, I must say, Thailand was the easiest and least expensive process by far. Definitely no reason to complain.

Thanks again! :D

HS.

^ I got my first retirement visa today also at Pattaya immigration .Everything went smoothly also but i had prepared .I gave copy of bank book with the 800,000 .Letter from bank confirming the 800,000 baht .Copy of passport relevant pages ,and photo .Took an hour in total .

Was told to have funds in bank 3 months before new extension in 1 year and not to forget the 90 day address reporting

Happy to hear of your positive experience. Well done.

That comment about 3 months might be news.

I and others have been told explicitly that the money does NOT need to be seasoned for 3 months for subsequent extensions (using the 800K). I was told the DAY BEFORE would be OK (that was over a year ago though). This time (late last year) I did not season for 3 months and no questions were asked.

So here is my question, did the officer tell you about the 3 month policy without your asking? Or did you ask specifically about next year? Either way, probably bad news.

Edited by Jingthing

Was told to have funds in bank 3 months before new extension in 1 year and not to forget the 90 day address reporting

I and others have been told explicitly that the money does NOT need to be seasoned for 3 months for subsequent extensions (using the 800K). I was told the DAY BEFORE would be OK (that was over a year ago though). This time (late last year) I did not season for 3 months and no questions were asked.

So here is my question, did the officer tell you about the 3 month policy without your asking? Or did you ask specifically about next year? Either way, probably bad news.

Hi there

I did not ask. It was the nice Lady on the second desk/station that finalized the process. Whiles she was handing me the number to pickup the passport the next day,she just mentioned not to forget the 90 days reporting and money must be in bank 3 month before you come next year.

Once again, I have been living in several countries all over the world. The Thai retirement process must be one of the easiest in the world, there is nothing whatsoever to complain about it....You should have seen all the people in the office that came totally unprepared and dressed like slobs....A real show of Pattaya's quality tourism. Actually embarrassing for many of us!

Thanks to Thaivisa and Immigration!

HS. :o

-- wait until you have 30 days left on your current 90 day permission to stay (O entry) to apply at immigration for a one year extension based on retirement. However, you don't have to wait, if your account is already seasoned for 2 months, you could go in now as Jomtien encourages early applications

-- the same day or the day before, get the letter from the bank showing the over 800K balance (the balance stated in this letter MUST match the balance in your bank passbook), the letter normally costs 200 baht, just ask for immigration letter and they will know what you want

-- Probably will not be asked for but good idea just in case: proof of international transfer of the funds (the Thai bank can supply). Don't give them this unless they ask.

- 1 copy of your bank passbook, front page with name and account number and all activity pages

- 1 copy of all pertinent info in your passport: front page, O visa, latest entry stamp, current landing card

- 1 copy of proof of address (a reported new requirement), a phone or electric bill in your name or if you don't have that, ask for more advice here

- visa application photos (I forget the size needed)?, bring 2, you may only need one

- be prepared to be interviewed about your previous employment and perhaps some other not too tough questions, they tend to interview first time extenders more than repeat offenders (ha ha)

-- 1900 baht

-- expect them to hold your passport overnight to collect the next day, because of this you may prefer not to go on a Friday as then you would have to wait until Monday to get back your passport

Hi,

I will be in the same position as op in July 2009. Could you please tell me how I can provide proof of address as I will be living with my TG at her house. Most likely no bills will be in my name.

Thankyou.

Jingthing: It seems that the 90-day requirement for renewals is now specified in the new rules issued in November.

This is a quote from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-.html:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account
for the past 3 months

at the filing date of the application
. For the first year, the applicant

should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60

days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

The use of red in item (4) is my own emphasis. In the linked document the entire item (4) is in red, indicating it had been revised in the November version.

If that is not the current accurate translation, will someone please let me know?

It was specified before, 3 months, but Pattaya was enforcing it differently. I am still not convinced they (Pattaya) have changed their policy but it seems likely they have. Also note we are reading English translations. The old English version was a tad hazy, maybe the Thai source is clearer now on 3 months for subsequent extensions which has resulted in a clearer English translation, leaving no room for variances in enforcement.

Hi,

I will be in the same position as op in July 2009. Could you please tell me how I can provide proof of address as I will be living with my TG at her house. Most likely no bills will be in my name.

Thankyou.

I don't really know, but I think this would probably work. Bring a copy of your host's phone bill and rental agreement. Bring an original signed letter from her saying you are living there along with a signed copy of her Thai ID card. However, your residence should be reported to immigration by her BEFORE you make the application, under Thai law, or she will be subject to a fine. That is my understanding of the law only. Enforcement is spotty. However, showing up there saying you live there without reporting is sticking it in their faces.

Another possible wrinkle. Perhaps immigration would rather see a document from your mate's LANDLORD and not her? In that case of course the landlord will have to know about and approve of your residence. If you were added to the lease, that document would be very good proof. I am not sure if immigration would accept an address report from your mate rather than the landlord. I own a condo and I was told here that when I have a farang visitor I must legally report this to immigration, but I am the owner, so it would be different it I was a tenant.

I am only giving you some issues to consider. It is a specialized question, you might want to start a new thread on it as some may be able to report actual relevant experiences.

Edited by Jingthing

^ I got my first retirement visa today also at Pattaya immigration .Everything went smoothly also but i had prepared .I gave copy of bank book with the 800,000 .Letter from bank confirming the 800,000 baht .Copy of passport relevant pages ,and photo .Took an hour in total .

As had been said many times here. You do not have a Retirement Visa. You have a 12 month extension of your temporary permision to stay in the Kingdom.

Anyway glad it all went well :o

It was specified before, 3 months, but Pattaya was enforcing it differently. I am still not convinced they (Pattaya) have changed their policy but it seems likely they have. Also note we are reading English translations. The old English version was a tad hazy, maybe the Thai source is clearer now on 3 months for subsequent extensions which has resulted in a clearer English translation, leaving no room for variances in enforcement.
Hi,

Thankyou.

I don't really know, but I think this would probably work. Bring a copy of your host's phone bill and rental agreement. Bring an original signed letter from her saying you are living there along with a signed copy of her Thai ID card. However, your residence should be reported to immigration by her BEFORE you make the application, under Thai law, or she will be subject to a fine. That is my understanding of the law only. Enforcement is spotty. However, showing up there saying you live there without reporting is sticking it in their faces.

Another possible wrinkle. Perhaps immigration would rather see a document from your mate's LANDLORD and not her? In that case of course the landlord will have to know about and approve of your residence. If you were added to the lease, that document would be very good proof. I am not sure if immigration would accept an address report from your mate rather than the landlord. I own a condo and I was told here that when I have a farang visitor I must legally report this to immigration, but I am the owner, so it would be different it I was a tenant.

I am only giving you some issues to consider. It is a specialized question, you might want to start a new thread on it as some may be able to report actual relevant experiences.

This thread has certainly been giving good advice. In my own case, when I needed proof of address, I had to get an affidavit from the (U.S.) embassy. They used basically the same form as for proof of income (I think they now use different forms), because basically the affidavit just says that you have sworn before a consular official that the information is true. However, it was sufficient for getting a driver's license (back in the 90's) and registering a car/pickup truck (again, back in the early 90's). One slight problem for Americans is that the affidavit now costs about 1100 baht (why can't I remember back to last August?).

I am thinking of applying for the 12 month extension based on retirement criteria and have two general questions:

- If you plan rent a condo or hotel room on monthly basis and possibly move each month to try different places howdo you support the address requirement without utility bills, etc.? Can you typically use a letter from hotel or condo rental company as the basis for residency?

- Regarding the Baht 800,00. Can you just put that on deposit and use it each year to support renewal or should you draw down regularily for living expenses and then top up in advance of the renewal? If top up I assume it must be greater than 800k for at least the last three months.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

I am thinking of applying for the 12 month extension based on retirement criteria and have two general questions:

- If you plan rent a condo or hotel room on monthly basis and possibly move each month to try different places howdo you support the address requirement without utility bills, etc.? Can you typically use a letter from hotel or condo rental company as the basis for residency?

- Regarding the Baht 800,00. Can you just put that on deposit and use it each year to support renewal or should you draw down regularily for living expenses and then top up in advance of the renewal? If top up I assume it must be greater than 800k for at least the last three months.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

For an extension of stay you will need to be on a non-immigrant visa.

The requirement is:

65.000 a month income

or

800,000 in a Thai bank account

or

a combination of income and money in the bank totaling 800,000.

You can just put the name of a hotel where you will be staying. Regardingmoney in the bank some officers want you to show that you spend money to live on. This doesn't need to be from your savings account, can also be from another account.

You can just put the name of a hotel where you will be staying.

At least at Pattaya, it is a reported NEW REQUIREMENT for retirement extensions to provide proof of your residence, the same as required for every 90 day report. Most people I think are using utility bills or lease contracts. Of course, if you actually are staying at a hotel, you could probably prove you are doing so. Are you suggesting people make up a fiction about staying at a hotel? Given this new requirement, how do you figure that would work? I was responding to a poster who wondered how to prove he lives with his Thai mate at her place. I don't think telling him to tell immigration he is staying at a hotel he isn't staying at begins to answer his question. I didn't make up this new requirement. I don't know how liberal they would be about it. However, I think it would be very stupid to report a hotel because immigration could cross check that with the report from the hotel, and if he wasn't staying there, he would be caught in a crime, lying to immigration. I dare say that may result in rejection of his application at best.

Edited by Jingthing

-- 1900 baht

Hi,

Thankyou.

Hi there, you can either get your TG to have the electricity or phone in your name or you can make a sworn statement at your embassy....no matter which one you pick you'll need the embassy "chop" on the document as proof of its veracity....best of luck

you can either get your TG to have the electricity or phone in your name

Sounds like a very good idea, because you will have to report every 90 days the same thing, with current proof. Is it only Pattaya that now makes you supply address proof every time you report or is this Thailand-wide?

Has anyone applied for an retirement visa at the Korat office?

Immigration Offices do not issue Retirement Visas.

They will issue 12 month Extensions based on Retirement. Korat is very friendly and helpful.

You should not have any problems with them. :o

>>Also, the new rule is the money for 800K only needs to be in 2 months for the first extension, not 3 months<<

They said 3 months to me for first time application ,last october at Jomtien Immigration .

It is 2 months new rules in November

I would also update passbook at the time of getting the letter

thank you for detai information, but I am not sure of one thing

I must have 800K in bank for two months? corect.... what happens after... can I take money out of the account and use it for somthing else and live only 5000BHt on my account??? Do I have to have 800K only for two months only for extension

To my understending for retirement visa I must have 800K on my account for duration of staying in Thailand? I hope you understand me :o