J.i.b. Computer Group

Daren

I have to say, I've also had a bad experience with J.I.B. Computer Group.

I went into the J.I.B. branch in Chaweng, Koh Samui to service a netbook that was purchased there. The problem was that somehow the Windows 7 OS had corrupted itself, as Windows updates and other software were not installing. Also, the machine was inexplicably hanging several times per day. The consensus on the web was that Windows 7 needed a clean install. The netbook was well within the one year warranty (only around 7 months old). However, instead of recognizing a corrupted Windows 7 installation, and provide a free clean install under warranty, the technicians at this branch charged 600 baht for the Windows 7 install plus an additional 200 baht to place system restore software on a thumb drive. If customer service is important to you, and a computer reseller that honours warranty periods, consider other options before purchasing from J.I.B. Computer Group.

I'm not sure that a problem with Windows 7 is covered by any warranty, my guess would be that it's not.

If the manufacturers (who in the end are the ones responsible for warranty claims) should fix everything that had to do with a problem with Windows 7 (software not made by them) then that would make for some very bad business on their part.

My guess it that warranty covers hardware only, not software.

• Like 1

On a couple of occasions I've sat on one of the benches outside the JIB store at Zeer, Rangsit. Just watching the staff pi55ing about at their store entrance has been enough to stop me from wanting to have any dealings with them.

• 1 month later...

I went into the J.I.B. branch in Chaweng, Koh Samui to service a netbook that was purchased there. The problem was that somehow the Windows 7 OS had corrupted itself, as Windows updates and other software were not installing. Also, the machine was inexplicably hanging several times per day. The consensus on the web was that Windows 7 needed a clean install. The netbook was well within the one year warranty (only around 7 months old). However, instead of recognizing a corrupted Windows 7 installation, and provide a free clean install under warranty, the technicians at this branch charged 600 baht for the Windows 7 install plus an additional 200 baht to place system restore software on a thumb drive. If customer service is important to you, and a computer reseller that honours warranty periods, consider other options before purchasing from J.I.B. Computer Group.

I'm not sure that a problem with Windows 7 is covered by any warranty, my guess would be that it's not.

If the manufacturers (who in the end are the ones responsible for warranty claims) should fix everything that had to do with a problem with Windows 7 (software not made by them) then that would make for some very bad business on their part.

You may be right. But the problem is that the software came preinstalled by JIB with the purchase of the netbook, and the netbook in question doesn't come with a DVD drive or anything else to reload system software in the event it becomes corrupted. To make matters worse, the software they did reinstall recently keeps popping up this annoying "this copy of Windows is not genuine" text.

use shop4thai. com , they usually match anyone elses price, emails replied to within 1hr, order before early afternoon and they will courier the same day for 200 baht, cash on delivery. They've yet to make a single mistake with me.

Are you sure about that?

If shop4thai want to match anyone else price,that mean they will have to deduct 50% from their published prices.

JIB are very competitive on price. Staff are somewhat variable. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab from JIB only to be told they no have new boxed one only one on display, the guy assured me it only come yesterday, upon receipt i seen it had a fellow JIB staff member along with friend drinking in a nightclub area, I managed to get money back after literally walking in screaming and shouting, however they expanded by saying 'ah he copy from phone yesterday', certain things didnt really tally on that one (including device uptime).

However I'd still choose JIB because I havent got all day to waste in BannanaIT, it seems it takes 20minutes to buy anything in there, both in Samui and BKK Seacon Square, even when the items are boxed and ready and paying cash, they blame 'computer problems', nowadays if I have to use Bannana I throw the cash down (i.e. if 980, or 4900, just round up to nearest 1000baht and walk out, most of the time they accept, otherwise you're waiting 20minutes for them to print off an invoice), i dont understand how they are manage to stay in business if they can only service 3 customers an hour

Edited by matt111

JIB are very competitive on price. Staff are somewhat variable. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab from JIB only to be told they no have new boxed one only one on display, the guy assured me it only come yesterday, upon receipt i seen it had a fellow JIB staff member along with friend drinking in a nightclub area, I managed to get money back after literally walking in screaming and shouting, however they expanded by saying 'ah he copy from phone yesterday', certain things didnt really tally on that one (including device uptime).

However I'd still choose JIB because I havent got all day to waste in BannanaIT, it seems it takes 20minutes to buy anything in there, both in Samui and BKK Seacon Square, even when the items are boxed and ready and paying cash, they blame 'computer problems', nowadays if I have to use Bannana I throw the cash down (i.e. if 980, or 4900, just round up to nearest 1000baht and walk out, most of the time they accept, otherwise you're waiting 20minutes for them to print off an invoice), i dont understand how they are manage to stay in business if they can only service 3 customers an hour

Rather foolish not to get the receipt...no receipt = no warantee.

Yeap, I know the few times I had to get warranty repair here in Thialand the repair center/shop had to have the receipt to go along with the warranty card...any date could have ended up on the warranty card...it's the date on the receipt that determines the starting/ending date of the warranty.

If I have to buy PC parts here (and it's something I always try to avoid doing due to the appalling lack of choice and absurdly high prices) then I invariably buy at JIB in Tukcom Pattaya as they seem to be the best (or least bad) of an extremely poor lot.

Somehow I cant imagine that I would ever buy anything by mail order in Thailand, at least until Amazon set up shop here.

Mistake 1) Buy online in Thailand. Go to the shop....product <->money

Mistake 2) When call you should let some aggressive Chinese Thai call, or if no one on hand. Ask your wife if she can ask the local police chief call.....

Mistake 3) No stock...complete refund, put more money in isn't a good idea.

• 1 month later...

use shop4thai. com , they usually match anyone elses price, emails replied to within 1hr, order before early afternoon and they will courier the same day for 200 baht, cash on delivery. They've yet to make a single mistake with me.

Are you sure about that?

If shop4thai want to match anyone else price,that mean they will have to deduct 50% from their published prices.

Where in general is 50% cheaper than shop4thai?

I'll second shop4thai. Got a new battery for UPS. Smooth experience.

I spoke by phone to someone with very good English. Detail followed by email.

Edited by klikster

You may be right. But the problem is that the software came preinstalled by JIB with the purchase of the netbook, and the netbook in question doesn't come with a DVD drive or anything else to reload system software in the event it becomes corrupted. To make matters worse, the software they did reinstall recently keeps popping up this annoying "this copy of Windows is not genuine" text.

USB.....Windows can be installed over USB

It sounds like an illegal copy of Windows 7 was installed. Which is common here in Thailand unless you specifically paid for a legal version. Here computers are sold without operating systems to keep the price down.

It's quite common for illegal copies to work for a while, that is until it is detected through an update. Many shops turn off updates to keep this from happening. Once an illegal copy is detected, you'll get the annoying popup, you'll lose your desktop background (it will be black), windows will no longer update, it will slowly lose functionality, then eventually you will only be able to use it for a limited period of time before it shuts down.

Microsoft does offer a 'get Genuine Kit' at a discounted price. And they can give you instructions how to install it from a USB memory stick. You'll need to click on the link under windows activation to 'get genuine' to order the kit. They will send you an email with the product key which should activate it immediately. If not you will receive the DVD from Singapore in about 3 weeks. Then you can work with Microsoft customer service on how to install it from a memory stick.

I can't see how any company can offer you a warranty on illegal software. You use at your own risk! Unlike previous versions of windows, with the new Windows 7 activation technology, it's a matter of time before an illegal version is detected and deactivated. Unless you turn off updates.

It sounds like an illegal copy of Windows 7 was installed. Which is common here in Thailand unless you specifically paid for a legal version. Here computers are sold without operating systems to keep the price down.

It's quite common for illegal copies to work for a while, that is until it is detected through an update. Many shops turn off updates to keep this from happening. Once an illegal copy is detected, you'll get the annoying popup, you'll lose your desktop background (it will be black), windows will no longer update, it will slowly lose functionality, then eventually you will only be able to use it for a limited period of time before it shuts down.

Microsoft does offer a 'get Genuine Kit' at a discounted price. And they can give you instructions how to install it from a USB memory stick. You'll need to click on the link under windows activation to 'get genuine' to order the kit. They will send you an email with the product key which should activate it immediately. If not you will receive the DVD from Singapore in about 3 weeks. Then you can work with Microsoft customer service on how to install it from a memory stick.

I can't see how any company can offer you a warranty on illegal software. You use at your own risk! Unlike previous versions of windows, with the new Windows 7 activation technology, it's a matter of time before an illegal version is detected and deactivated. Unless you turn off updates.

Fair enough. And thanks for the heads up on standard practices in LOS.

But that’s what I’m annoyed at. They didn’t make it clear what they were doing. When the Netbook was purchased, they should have said, “This netbook doesn’t come with a genuine copy of windows 7. That will cost extra. But we will include a trial copy that will eventually deactivate itself unless you activate it with Microsoft.”

As it were, they just included an illegal copy that appeared genuine, and said nada.

Then when I went in thinking my genuine copy was having issues (didn’t have the originals), they just replaced this illegal version with another illegal version, put it on a thumb drive and charged me for everything.

Double fail.