American Breakfast

anothertorres

There is indeed American style Chinese fried rice in America but it is not the same as American fried rice in Thailand. I am guessing they think hot dogs makes it American. You won't find that garbage in America, on the fried rice anyway. There is such a thing as American style Chinese food: American chow mein, chop suey (invented in America), American style egg foo young, etc.

These things go both ways. Visit a typical Thai resto in the US catering to non-Thais and most tables will have Thai iced tea on it (the spiced tea with condensed milk that has 1000 calories). Now of course you can get this drink in Thailand at some places (mainly special stalls), but how often do you see it on the tables of Thais eating at Thai restaurants here? Rarely.

Sooo totally right on the American "Chinese" food, JT. I grew up on that stuff in Boston. Only in the "Chinatown" areas of our major cities can you get authentic Chinese food; and most Americans didn't know what it was 20 years ago. :o

As for Thai food, it was virtually unknown, except in the Thai neighborhoods, when my wife first moved to So Cal to marry me about 1000 year ago - OK, about 35 years ago. We had to drive up to the Hollywood area, where the Thai community was then settled, to get Thai food. Over the years, the "sophisticated" folks learned that not all Thai food will start a fire in your mouth, and burn through your stomach lining! Thai restaurants have grown tremendously in popularity, over the years. We lived near Anaheim, and had at least 10 Thai restaurants within a few miles of our house. But, as you said, JT, most of them prepared the food for "American tastes", with less spices and chili. We always told them to make the spicy dishes "Thai medium, not falang medium". :D All you have to do in most of them is tell them that you want genuine Thai style. Of course, if you have a Thai wife, that's less of a challenge.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is indeed American style Chinese fried rice in America but it is not the same as American fried rice in Thailand. I am guessing they think hot dogs makes it American. You won't find that garbage in America, on the fried rice anyway. There is such a thing as American style Chinese food: American chow mein, chop suey (invented in America), American style egg foo young, etc.

These things go both ways. Visit a typical Thai resto in the US catering to non-Thais and most tables will have Thai iced tea on it (the spiced tea with condensed milk that has 1000 calories). Now of course you can get this drink in Thailand at some places (mainly special stalls), but how often do you see it on the tables of Thais eating at Thai restaurants here? Rarely.

Sooo totally right on the American "Chinese" food, JT. I grew up on that stuff in Boston. Only in the "Chinatown" areas of our major cities can you get authentic Chinese food; and most Americans didn't know what it was 20 years ago. :o

As for Thai food, it was virtually unknown, except in the Thai neighborhoods, when my wife first moved to So Cal to marry me about 1000 year ago - OK, about 35 years ago. We had to drive up to the Hollywood area, where the Thai community was then settled, to get Thai food. Over the years, the "sophisticated" folks learned that not all Thai food will start a fire in your mouth, and burn through your stomach lining! Thai restaurants have grown tremendously in popularity, over the years. We lived near Anaheim, and had at least 10 Thai restaurants within a few miles of our house. But, as you said, JT, most of them prepared the food for "American tastes", with less spices and chili. We always told them to make the spicy dishes "Thai medium, not falang medium". :D All you have to do in most of them is tell them that you want genuine Thai style. Of course, if you have a Thai wife, that's less of a challenge.

There is an entire thread dedicated to this subject in the "Food in Thailand" / "Thai Food" forum. It has just about been beaten it to death. Thai Food in the West

Villa Food Counter for a cheap, fast and good American breakfast.

Tell them I sent you and you won't get a discount.

I don't go to Villa often, due to the high prices in the market. But I have eaten at that counter a couple of times, and I find their entire menu a good value, with clean, quality food. In fact, it's a bit above the almost equally good value and menu at counter at Foodland (Took Dee?) in every regard. If I were a single guy, living near either of them, I'd be a regular customer.

I only do breakfast at the Villa food counter as to me it is the best deal they have on offer.

Foodland's Took Lae Dee counter does everything else and quite well at that.

• 2 weeks later...

i just want a good offering of french toast, pancakes, waffles and your usual 2-2-2 (2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon).

on the american fried rice tip, i don't know who coined it "american" as i've never had this blend in the US over 35 years. nor do i know what "hamburger beep" is...

• 1 month later...
I don't go to Villa often, due to the high prices in the market. But I have eaten at that counter a couple of times, and I find their entire menu a good value, with clean, quality food. In fact, it's a bit above the almost equally good value and menu at counter at Foodland (Took Dee?) in every regard. If I were a single guy, living near either of them, I'd be a regular customer.

Fair point.

I have started eating there on a demi-serious basis for general snacks around 1400 hours. I have found the food offered to be above reasonable and at a decent and competitive price. I consider this place a bit of a secret in Pattaya. :o

in celebration of Obama being sworn in, i'd like to have an american breakfast.

american brkft?

ahh....that would be .....2 donuts + a mug of coffee ....then out the door......nowadays :D

Hope you have health insurance ...

Or change my last name to "Lopaz", pull my pants pockets out to appear empty, stare with a confused look on my face at the paperwork and continuously shake my head and say "no Eeeng-leeesh, no Eeeng-leeesh".....

And hope the hospital will write it off to bad debt or charity care.....yeah? :D

:o !

Nong TC, I didn't realize that you can be this funny.

But again, talking about changing your last name to 'Lopaz' is quite acceptable, may be I join you but I would go with ' Garcia'.

Spanish name 'Garcia' just made it to the top ten most popular family names in the USA last year.

I heard about one place In Pattaya, I’m not shore where and also onshore about the name. But I think it is nearly beach road, the place says also having good service and relaxing interior. however, I here they serving real American lovely breakfast with egg and bacon and nice bread, blueberry pay, apple pay etc to reasonable prices … and what I remember the name was something like Donald ore maybe Ronald “hmm was it mc before ore after” … yes.. sounds to be a good place …must found It :o

I heard about one place In Pattaya, I'm not shore where and also onshore about the name. But I think it is nearly beach road, the place says also having good service and relaxing interior. however, I here they serving real American lovely breakfast with egg and bacon and nice bread, blueberry pay, apple pay etc to reasonable prices … and what I remember the name was something like Donald ore maybe Ronald "hmm was it mc before ore after" … yes.. sounds to be a good place …must found It :o

do what now?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how the ubiquitous American Fried Rice came into being? Is there anything American about it?

A very good question, Jimmy. I have NEVER seen that combination of a chicken leg, hot dog, and fried rice with an egg on top, served in any American restaurant in the States I've lived in: Massachusetts, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Indiana, Illinois, and California; nor in any of several other States that I've visited.

I, too, am curious as to where the concept of the "American Fried Rice" served here came from. Not that it's bad food. It just brings a smile to my face every time I see it on a menu, since it is decidely NOT an American menu item.

From what I understand this is what they cooked for the American GIs that were stationed in Thailand....hence they called it American fried rice. Maybe PK would know for sure since

she ran the PX at Utapao during the war.

beachbunny

Here is the story of American Fried Rice. The Thai name is Khaaw Pad American (or Khao Phat Amerigan). The closest thing I had eaten to this dish was Spanish rice, but this Thai version was sweeter. Apparently, this dish was created by Thai chefs during the Vietnam War, because these creative chefs thought it incorporated ingredients liked by the Yanks (ketchup, hot dogs and raisins).

americanfriedrice.jpg

It is often served with some fried chicken and a fried egg. You cook the fried chicken, the hot dogs, the egg in oil, add onions and cold rice to the oil, then in goes a ketchup-soy sauce mixture, then raisins, pineapple, ham and/or tomato.

Personally, I prefer Chinese and Thai fried rice, but this dish has an interesting history. Only recently, has the dish appeared on some menus in the U.S.

B Fried Rice Restaurant

Sukho Thai Restaurant

I'm from the southeastern US (South Carolina, originally from southwest Georgia), and I'd dearly love to find what I'd consider a good american breakfast:

Eggs fried over medium (not sunny side up, not an omelette)

Bacon (actually cooked all the way) or, even better, country ham (salt cured heavenly delicacy - redneck prosciutto!!)...as an alternative, onion sausage.

Toast

Grits

Coffee

Juice

Biscuits and gravy - with Jimmy Dean sage sausage in the gravy...MMMMMMMMMMM!!

And if we must discuss donuts - I'm afraid many of you don't really know what a donut is. Unfortunately, many Americans spend their entire lives without having enjoyed a KrispyKreme donut directly off the line, while its still hot and gooey. If I could do any one thing to promote world happiness, it would be a half dozen hot KrispyKremes for every man woman and child on the planet. Dunkin' isn't even close. Can I get an amen??

And if we must discuss donuts - I'm afraid many of you don't really know what a donut is. Unfortunately, many Americans spend their entire lives without having enjoyed a KrispyKreme donut directly off the line, while its still hot and gooey. If I could do any one thing to promote world happiness, it would be a half dozen hot KrispyKremes for every man woman and child on the planet. Dunkin' isn't even close. Can I get an amen??

I like donuts, but I can only eat one, because they do a number on my stomach. KrispyKreme is ok, and I have to admit that the ones fresh off the line are much better than the millions they stuffed in warehouses to inflate their sales figures. And, please, let's hope that Jimmy Dean sausage is not being touted as quality American cuisine. There's so many better American breakfast sausages being turned out by butchers and local producers across America. I suppose you like Farmer John and Oscar Meyer as well. :o

Is there any place in town that does REAL freshly made hash browns? I don't mean those frozen hockey pucks deep fried. I could go for some real hash browns.

I've got the recipe for Waffle House hash browns ( and sausages) if you're interested.

Scattered, smothered and covered and no, it's not just cutting potatoes and frying them.

I'm from the southeastern US (South Carolina, originally from southwest Georgia), and I'd dearly love to find what I'd consider a good american breakfast:

Bacon (actually cooked all the way) or, even better, country ham (salt cured heavenly delicacy - redneck prosciutto!!)...as an alternative, onion sausage.

Toast

Grits

Coffee

Juice

When I was in Pattaya, I would have breakfast at Shennanigans, I would order two eggs fried over easy, with that you get two fairly sizable pieces of canadian bacon, two english sausages, homefried potatoes, fried tomatoe, beans on the side in its own dish, two large slices of a homemade bread, or what looks and tastes like homemade bread, two cups of a italian specialty coffee that I really enjoyed. This was all for 150 baht , not cheap but it was of good enough quality to keep me coming back. Inside you could watch sports on many large screen tvs or outside on the deck you could eat while observing the daily goings on about outsideon the streets ( girls coming and going in and out of the avenue mall. I must warn you though, initially I tried ordering scrambled eggs, they were not done properly, for me.

Is there any place in town that does REAL freshly made hash browns? I don't mean those frozen hockey pucks deep fried. I could go for some real hash browns.

I've got the recipe for Waffle House hash browns ( and sausages) if you're interested.

Scattered, smothered and covered and no, it's not just cutting potatoes and frying them.

Buckwheat, I would like the recipe for waffle house hash browns, I would like to try to make them myself, something I've been wanting to try for a long time. If you would be so kind to post the recipe.

I like donuts, but I can only eat one, because they do a number on my stomach. KrispyKreme is ok, and I have to admit that the ones fresh off the line are much better than the millions they stuffed in warehouses to inflate their sales figures. And, please, let's hope that Jimmy Dean sausage is not being touted as quality American cuisine. There's so many better American breakfast sausages being turned out by butchers and local producers across America. I suppose you like Farmer John and Oscar Meyer as well. :o

Who said anything about quality cuisine?? It tastes good! Never heard of Farmer John, and no, I don't like Oscar Mayer sausages. I agree there's better - there's a local brand called Caughman's where I'm from (re: my mention of onion sausage earlier) - but you can always get Jimmy Dean bulk sausage in the grocery stores, and the sage variety has a good flavour - kind of reminscent of my late grandfather's barbecue, but granted you could add the red pepper and rubbed sage to any bulk sausage for the effect.

Also, there's a difference (for me at least) in link sausage vs. bulk sausage. For link sausage, texture is very important, and I'll agree that you can do FAR better than a Jimmy Dean link. I'm only discussing bulk above, as that's what I use in gravy.

But we're getting too technical, right?

The later post re: Shenanigan's has me making some weekend plans in my head - but I just can't get my mind around the whole beans-for-breakfast idea.

i remember when KK opened up in my old hometown. the light was continuously on for days and the traffic was backed up around the block! sadly, it died a very quick death and within 2 years, the place closed down.

now, what's the chances we can get Tim Horton's to open up down here???

in celebration of Obama being sworn in, i'd like to have an american breakfast. where are my greasy greek diners in this town??? outside of Chonlada who serve a fantastic pancake, what other restaurants are doing french toast, pancakes, waffles?

:o

Hey! Quick! There's a new condo coming so they (might) hafta move, but you gotta try:

HOWIE'S NIGHTLIFE

Between Soi Whithouse & Soi 9 (closer to Soi 9)

Jomtien Beach Road

Choice of about 8 American Breakfasts inc.(all under 150 baht):

-Eggs (all styles)

-Pancakes

-Hash browns ("hockey puck-style," but good)

-Bacon, sausage (homemade patties!!), ham

-Toast ,butter, jam...

:D

Buckwheat, I would like the recipe for waffle house hash browns, I would like to try to make them myself, something I've been wanting to try for a long time. If you would be so kind to post the recipe.

I'm on travel right now and don't have access to my database but as soon as I get back Sunday, I will post both recipes here as requested as well as via the 16 pm's I received. :o

Tried to post a link, but it was automatically removed. There is an excellent article on another web-site. PM me for details.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Toast

Grits

Coffee

Juice

cochran, I'm with you about all your favorited Southern breakfast dishes down to the famouse Krispy Kreme donut.

I first tried this wonder KK donut in Miami over 20 years ago, have been hooked ever since. Now I live in Tampa, on the weekend we would drive to the KK owned shop and get a dozen donut in a big box and carry home, it's so fresh and yummy that you always end up eating more than two on one setting.

:o

Hey! Quick! There's a new condo coming so they (might) hafta move, but you gotta try:

HOWIE'S NIGHTLIFE

Between Soi Whithouse & Soi 9 (closer to Soi 9)

Jomtien Beach Road

Choice of about 8 American Breakfasts inc.(all under 150 baht):

-Eggs (all styles)

-Pancakes

-Hash browns ("hockey puck-style," but good)

-Bacon, sausage (homemade patties!!), ham

-Toast ,butter, jam...

:D

Howie's is definitely the best American breakfast in the Pattaya area. His sausage patties are "just like home" taste.

The bacon is always cooked, not just warmed in a microwave that you get in most places. Real home fries, but infortunately the hash browns are the pre-made variety.

The cook there even understands "over easy" for you eggs. It took awhile to teach her but she does it right now.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Doug