Thai Doc's Prefer C-section Births?

chivo

i can't believe how many births here are delivered c-section.

i have asked a few thai women about it. they say it's only when there is a complication.

but just about every thai woman we know said they had to have the c-s because they had a complication.

is it possible that a good majority of births are at risk here?

or is there another reason...

one bright person in particular suggested that thai doctors dont want to wait around for the countless hours to deliver a baby naturally, as you may know, it can be all night. this way, with c-s, the can just schedule it, get it done, and off to whatever else.

another person suggested that it was because the docs can charge significantly more for the c-s procedure. profit based decision.

the human body is designed to give birth. i could see if 1 or 2 out of ten had to be c-s, but from my unofficial polling, its almost the opposite.

what i find distressing is how many women here believe that they 'had a complication'. i find thais seem to just accept anything a doc says here as the word of god.

anyone else find this strange?

addendum:

my wife just mentioned to me that actually many thai women prefer to have the c-section.

i.e. thai doctors offer the choice, but they make the decision.

some thai women prefer to schedule it, sometimes due to hocus-pocus and spiritual reasons, sometimes the women just like the convenience, and to avoid the pain of labor.

and another reason is to maintain certain physical attributes of the womans body.

Both our children were born caesarian and if I had a third I'd hope the wife would opt for it again. I came with the usual Christian country bias where women are supposed to suffer like Jesus did and all, but now I figure if I were a woman I'd want pain medication and modern medical techniques available.

Edited by jumnien

My wife was pregnant but unfortunately miscarried recently but as soon as she was certain that she was pregnant, we went to BNH and were shown a menu for the types of delivery for birth. I think there were 7 options. two were for natural birth, the rest for C section.

Rather than pointing out the negative issues that can arise with C section, it is left up to people to make a decision without a consultation.

The "menu" should have stated the cost of natural births, with and without epidural and then a sub section that states something like the extra cost of a C Section should it become necessary during the delivery process. It certainly shouldn't be menu item 3 !!

I think that once you've had a C Section, you can't really go back and have a natural birth...

When I mentioned this issue to my family in the UK all my sisters, each with families, said it's a big no no unless there are extenuating circumstances.

So, take the pain and go natural with an epidural for when it gets too much.

Hi!

I heard that thai doctors suggest c-section simply becuse it is easier to plan.

They will know when so they do not need to be called in in the middle of the night.

Most doctors live close by their hospitals and the pregnancy-doctors are "on duty" 24/7 if there is a birht coming up.

I also heard that most thai woman are afraid of the pain of a natural delivery.

According to a research that was presented in an european newpaper and a natural birth is so much better for the female body than having a c-section.

The healing process after giving birth is more rapid and the risk of infections are less than with a c-section.

After any surgery most people are adviced to eat antibiotics wich can´t be very good for breastfeeding, I imagine.

Take care!

Comehome

to the people that are saying caesarian is a no no what are the reasons? do you have any personal knowledge of someone that has had one and have had complications from doing so? ta

I don't see people saying that having a C-section is a no-no. It is a choice of the mother and her doctor. Here in LOS there seems to be a preference to have C-sections done. Part because of preference/fears of the mother, part because of the McDonald's type service provided in Thai hospitals especially private ones, and of course sometimes out of medical need.

Part of what has been mentioned is true. After cesarean sections women have added risk and complications if they want to give birth vaginally. Some doctors will not attend a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) because of the chance of uterine rupture, problems with contraction of the uterine muscle, and other things.

On a personal note my wife had a cesarean delivery recently without any serious complication. The only trouble she had was a mild infection of the incision that was treated easily and the pain and numbness at the incision site that the doctor says will last a few months. She had it because of premature labour with our triplets. It was not elective. Her other pregnancies were vaginal deliveries without incident. She is not Thai, but Filipina. Most deliveries in The Philippines are natural mostly because of poverty. But most women are encouraged to give birth vaginally because the Catholic Church's view on suffering. There is no religious dogma here that I can tell.

It is a personal decision that you, your partner, and your doctor must make. There is no right or wrong, just what's right for you.

Standard intrernational medical practice is to perfrom a c-section only if there are medical indications for it. It should not be done simnply on demand and certainly not offered as a menu alternative, but this is indeed being done at the more upscale hospitals in Thailand.

While you won't find it that blatant in the west, the same thing winds up happening with very wealthy/influential patients in that they find doctors willing to cater to their wishes.

It also does happen at times that a private doctor will be influenced, totally or in part, by consideratyions of both profit and convenience in recommending a section, especially if it starts to look like the delivery will otherwise occur at an inconvenient time. This is, however, neither good medical practice not good medical ethics.

BTW, a c-section will not avoid stretch marks, those are the result of the strectching of the skin to accomodate the bulging uterus as the pregnancy progresses, not a result of the labor. And it will add a scar to boot.

Most babies in Thailand are born under the 30 baht plan, so I doubt doctors prefer it because of the enormous profits.

I think we have a winner! Money, Greed, Profit . . . which ever way you want to put it!

Pretty obviously really ain't it?!? No only can they charge big money for the delivery but they can then prescribe hugely expensive antibiotics afterwards.

addendum:

my wife just mentioned to me that actually many thai women prefer to have the c-section.

i.e. thai doctors offer the choice, but they make the decision.

some thai women prefer to schedule it, sometimes due to hocus-pocus and spiritual reasons, sometimes the women just like the convenience, and to avoid the pain of labor.

and another reason is to maintain certain physical attributes of the womans body.

All of those reasons are true in my experience. When we discussed it with our doctor he mentioned all of those as commonly stated reasons for wanting a C section.

The spiritual side of it is very important, a belief in auspicious times is very much part of many Thai people's reasoning.

Edited by weary

Hi!

I heard that thai doctors suggest c-section simply becuse it is easier to plan.

They will know when so they do not need to be called in in the middle of the night.

Most doctors live close by their hospitals and the pregnancy-doctors are "on duty" 24/7 if there is a birht coming up.

I also heard that most thai woman are afraid of the pain of a natural delivery.

According to a research that was presented in an european newpaper and a natural birth is so much better for the female body than having a c-section.

The healing process after giving birth is more rapid and the risk of infections are less than with a c-section.

After any surgery most people are adviced to eat antibiotics wich can´t be very good for breastfeeding, I imagine.

Take care!

Comehome

"I heard" is always a very dangerous way to start talking about something which you have not directly experienced... I have experienced a very non-elective C section here due to imminent uterine rupture (after 26 hours of highly supported natural labor) - never was I offered an antibiotic, nor was there any need - also experienced rapid healing of my less than 2 inch scar that is easily covered by even the skimpiest bikini. Discussion of this C section option with my Thai female OBGYN during my pregnancy was very enlightening - many Thai women have confided in her that they are scared of being sexually undesirable with a stretched vagina and are encouraged by other Thai women to have a C section to help "keep their man". The typical "aim to please" Thai attitude where they always try to give what they think people want (often without asking) is probably a far bigger factor than assumed greed or planning for convenience. Ultimately, after the birth, how it was achieved becomes such a small factor as you start to parent your child. Perhaps a little more suuport for all women facing these choices and a little less judgement might be more constructive.

my wife just had a baby in australia she had no intention of a c- section she was terrified of the scars she was talking to a friend of hers who had her baby in udon thani a c - section her friend said it was for extra money for the dr

I believe it is for financial insentive for the drs from listening to my wife talking with friends :o

Not only a problem in Thailand, but also in other countries, for example USA (and some Thai ob/gyns are trained in the USA).

Apart from those women who are misinformed and voluntarily chose a major abdominal surgery for the birth of their baby despite it's health risks for mother and baby and despite numerous health disadvantages, there are also many women who are coerced into a c-section by doctors. They are made to believe that it is safer, they are given bogus reasons that contradict studies and are in the end convinced that it was necessary .

One Thai specific reason is superstition, selection of a birth date and time and belongs into the category above of women who are not well informed about c-sections and about the many health benefits and advantages of a natural birth.

Reasons for doctors to prefer c-sections, convenience, time, higher fee and less chance to get sued in case of any problems with the birth (they can say they did the most possible, the biggest intervention they could have possibly done).

WHO: "Caesarean Deliveries in Thailand: Cause for Concern"

http://searo.who.int/EN/Section1243/Sectio...on1356_5323.htm

Some articles about childbirth: http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

My Thai sister in law had a baby just a couple of weeks ago in suburban Bangkok. She changed hospitals twice after she could not find an ob/gyn that would even consider a natural birth. At the third hospital she was able to give birth naturally but was not able to have her husband there, despite her best efforts to have him allowed in.

Thai Doc's Prefer C-section Births?

I can help answer this, my wife is Thai and our son was delivered by C-section. Basically, our doctor gave my wife the choice. I found this shocking at the time as I thought C-sections were reserved for complications. However, being a 'customer' in Thailand means you can be 'too posh to push' if you so choose (not that my wife or I are posh or anything). My answer to the question is that our doctor didn't state a perference.

If anyone is interested, the hospital that we chose offered a natural delivery package (3 nights) for around 30k and a c-section (4 nights) for around 40k. I don't think that this is a substantial difference; certainly not enough to make our doctor prefer a C-section for financial reasons. My wife obviously wanted to avoid the labour pains, and indeed did - I held her hand throughout and it was a peaceful affair. I changed my mind about C-sections as a result of what happened. I was worried about it being dangerous, risky and unnecessary when in actual fact the delivery went like clockwork and it actually made more financial and emotional sense to plan for a C-section as you can set the delivery date and not prolong the stay in hospital.

As if that wasn't crazy enough, our doctor let my wife choose the delivery date! She chose a date that didn't coincide with a particular holiday and avoided a date that would have let our son share a birthday with one of his cousins. Before being too critcal of Thailand however, I think that a wikipedia contribution claims that almost all Japanese babies are born by C-section.

I wonder if the standard of hospital means different preferences? Aussiebebe's package sounds great but was more than double what my sister in law and her husband could afford. For under 15,000 baht it was really hard for them to find to find a doctor that would support their choice.

the vagina is a muscle. google "A comparison of urinary and sexual outcomes in women experiencing vaginal and Caesarean births by Klein MC, et al"

I would also like to know why uk docs say only C section if necessary.

Edited by OxfordWill

At the end of the day the majority of Thai doctors are private. They have clinics and other patients to see. The last thing they want is to be tied up for hours overseeing a natural birth. They fit the C Sections into their diaries to accommodate their working day. For me I go along with that. This is the modern world, accept the change, don't fight it.

Our son was born on August 1st 2004 in an army hospital at Nakhon Sawan.

I was in Bangkok the day before and my wife was driven 125km on the Saturday night from home to the hospital.

I didn't find out until the Sunday and didn't get to the hospital in time (3 hours late) and I would have liked to have been there.

Our son was about 6 weeks premature.

Funny but is about the first time she has been early or on time since I have known her in 16 years. :D

Sorry dear. :o:D

She had a natural birth and it was a government hospital so not that expensive. I have no idea if she was offered the choice or not but it is a good hospital and they still remember us there.

My wife had a baby in Phuket, back in 07, She is Thai and asked about this at the hospital. One word, "Fashion" Some cases farang babies are too big for Thais to give birth naturally.

Syl.

Edited by Syl

Cambodia women almost never have a Caesarian.

There is neither the money nor the expertise.

The hospitals are mostly run by Christian NGO groups such as CARE.

They routinely perform antiquated butchery known as an Episotomy,

in which one or more cuts are made from the anus to the vagina.

The excuse for this is that it makes the 2nd. child easier to deliver.

The reality is extreme pain and lasting disfigurement.

Cambodia people have a high tolerance for pain and suffering.

You are lucky to be talking about Thailand which has a more enlightened policy.

My Thai wife had C-sections in the U.S. in delivering our two daughters. For the first one she was in labor for about 8 hours and inducing meds didn't help much. It wasn't happening and the Doc said instruments they sometimes use to in such situations can cause brain damage so a C-section was recommended. The Doctor said she could do a normal birth for the second one but the second was delivered by planned C-section without labor and the Doctor said afterwards that was the right decision as the baby was 9 lb 14 ounces and 23 inches long.

Now my daughter just went through about the same thing in labor for over 12 hours with the inducing meds and eventually agreeing to a C-section for the same reasons. A healthy 8 pound 5 ounce baby boy is the result.

I don't think C-sections were used inappropriately in these cases. It's just sometimes it's best for the health of the mother and child to use a C-section if normal delivery isn't working. I don't know how you can know ahead of time that a C-section is needed in those cases.