Big Bike Market

12DrinkMore

There are the big four bike manufacturers in Japan, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Websites:

Out of these Yamaha and Suzuki on their Thai websites have no reference to big bikes.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/en/

Honda has a webpage but it has been "coming soon" for as long as I can remember.

http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/product.asp

Kawasaki has at least made an effort

http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/

Showrooms:

Yamaha in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have big bikes on display, maybe elsewhere?

Honda and Suzuki have, as far as I know, no showroom presence for bigbikes.

Kawasaki have bike bikes in most, if not all, their big dealerships.

Prices:

Apart from Kawasaki, all the bike bikes are sold at a very hefty premium to prices in Farangland.

Thai/Japan FTA agreement:

This came into operation last year and apparently (saw it somewhere in TV) the import tax on 250cc machines was removed. And I assumed that this is why the little Ninja came on the market at 139,000 Baht.

Before that however the Vulcan 900cc was already being marketed at some 430,000(?) Baht.

Now the 650cc ER6N is being marketed at 225,000 Baht. This is way above the 250cc limit, and the FTA is only reducing import duty by some 10% year over the next nine years or so.

So hang on, what is happening? Why can Kawasaki put big bikes on the market at these prices and none of the other Japanese manufacturers are indicating any interest in competing?

I can hazard the following:

- Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki sell the vast majority of the small bikes so are not bothered about investing time/money in the big bike market

- The Ninja is made in Thailand, I wonder if the ER6N and Vulcan are also manufactured here? Maybe they have a special deal because of this. I don't believe that Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki manufacture big bikes in Thailand?

- Maybe (big guess here) Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki have decided amongst themselves to let Kawasaki have the big bike market?

Does somebody have in insight into the big bike politics in Thailand?

I suppose that your hazarding is fairly correct. Honda, especially, makes a killing in the scooter market. Can't really see them attempting to be a leader in the big bike category, since that move would, in my opinion, cause people to save up and buy one big bike instead of several smaller bikes. I can not assume to know the profit margins that Honda enjoys on their scooters, but everything I've read seems to indicate it is razor thin on their big bikes. So I'd think that selling several scooters at a decent profit is better than selling a single big bike with a small profit.

Of course I could be full of it.....

I do know one thing, i paid my deposit on the weekend for the FZ6 and then i heard Kawasaki were releasing the ER-6 for 225k and it made me quite upset as i thought it was being released at around the 280-300k mark and i could justify the extra for the FZ6 but now it seems a little too much of a piss take. I will nonetheless bite the bullet and follow through with the purchase a 2009 FZ6.

Hey Trent i think you will be happier on the FZ600 anyway you speed demon you :D

Due to stretched finances it looks like i will be staying with a 250 for sometime to come :o

I think i'm still gonna go down and have look though.

Allan

I do know one thing, i paid my deposit on the weekend for the FZ6 and then i heard Kawasaki were releasing the ER-6 for 225k and it made me quite upset as i thought it was being released at around the 280-300k mark and i could justify the extra for the FZ6 but now it seems a little too much of a piss take. I will nonetheless bite the bullet and follow through with the purchase a 2009 FZ6.

Just for a giggle how much did you pay for the FZ6? :o

Well Trent,

If it's any consolation the FZ6 really is a superior machine and I think it will be better suited to your style of balls out riding than the ER6n. If the ER6n wasn't such a deal and if I didn't have my little guy's tuition to think about I'd have loved to get my hands on an FZ6. Took the ER6n for a spin at the dealer today and loved it! I'll pick mine up on the 28th!!! :o:D:D

Big bikes have been made in Thailand for many years 2 of which are Kawasaki and Triumph,..both were fairly well kept secrets til recently and as you probably know since Triumph has been available in Thailand the signs went up on the factory, i think Honda and Suzuki are letting Kawasaki and Yamaha "test the water " and will see how they do and if there is any market,.in my opinion the export business will be suffering soon and who knows maybe laws and rules will be relaxed in the home market,.

Ehh just for the info regarding the topic here 12 DrinkMore if you scroll down on Yamaha's website you will see an image and the English text saying Big Bikes, click on it and voila the models they sell in Thailand is there with details, prices etc.

The FZ6 cost me and Trent 427k baht each one including free insurance, free reg, free Givi Mounted top and side panniers, free touring screen, free roll cage for engine, free selective number plate, free one night with one of the Yamaha girls for each of us of our own choosing, free training course for track riding and some other bits and pieces such as free install of exhaust, GPS mount, extra power outlet for GPS, Powercommander, speed shifter and some minor stuff. So yes around 200k more than the Kawasaki, but I don't know what they will include in the sales kit, so it's hard to judge how much more exactly it is. Hey what tires does Kawasaki put on the ER6n? Hope they don't put on IRC's on that as well...

Cheers Bard

Ehh just for the info regarding the topic here 12 DrinkMore if you scroll down on Yamaha's website you will see an image and the English text saying Big Bikes, click on it and voila the models they sell in Thailand is there with details, prices etc.

aah, ok got it. Why do they put them under "club"? The home page looks like it was designed by a teenager.

The FZ6 cost me and Trent 427k baht each one including free insurance, free reg, free Givi Mounted top and side panniers, free touring screen, free roll cage for engine, free selective number plate, free one night with one of the Yamaha girls for each of us of our own choosing, free training course for track riding and some other bits and pieces such as free install of exhaust, GPS mount, extra power outlet for GPS, Powercommander, speed shifter and some minor stuff. So yes around 200k more than the Kawasaki, but I don't know what they will include in the sales kit, so it's hard to judge how much more exactly it is. Hey what tires does Kawasaki put on the ER6n? Hope they don't put on IRC's on that as well...

Based on experience with the Ninja there will be maybe a another matt black helmet and f-all else. And I strongly suspect the tires will be IRC's, but maybe somebody who has test ridden could confirm. and the Kwacker girls at my dealer fall far short of the Chang girls anyway.

On another topic, have you got a supplier for the panniers? What's the approx cost of them?

12drinkmore- not sure why you couldn't find the "Big Bike" sites for Honda and Yamaha. Here are the links:

Honda: http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/

Honda's playing catch up but their huge new Bangkok "Big Wing" showroom should open soon.

Yamaha: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/default.aspx

Suzuki seems to be the only Japanese manufacturer that has done nothing to promote their big bikes in the Land of Smile.

12drinkmore- not sure why you couldn't find the "Big Bike" sites for Honda and Yamaha. Here are the links:

Honda: http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/

Honda's playing catch up but their huge new Bangkok "Big Wing" showroom should open soon.

Yamaha: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/default.aspx

Suzuki seems to be the only Japanese manufacturer that has done nothing to promote their big bikes in the Land of Smile.

The Honda site has nothing about products, just "coming soon"

http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/product.asp

Yamaha has their overpriced big bikes hidden under "Club" on their infantile website.

Looks like my big smile in the Land of Smiles will be on a Kwacker Diablo ER6N. What should I do with the poor little Ninja though? Just a couple of months old...

Sell it mate, that's what I did it's a great little bike and plenty of fun but the problem is it ignites your interest in bikes and pulls you into more serious territory.

Cheers Bard

Wow Bard- You sold your beloved Ninjette?! That bike was awesome with the fender eliminator, Pirellis and Area P and I was hoping to ride with you to see how your bike compared to mine in stock form. Ah well... Now that I've placed my order for the ER-6n I'm thinking I should sell my Ninja too, but I do hate to see her go. She's been a great little bike and would still be fun for track days and solo rides in the twisties up north. Shall we chop her exhaust this weekend? Wonder if that would help or hurt her re-sale value...

No prob mate I still got it until March, so you can try the pocket rocket out, will leave me with pain though I love that little nimble thing as no tomorrow but the Yammie is to much dosh to put out without sacrificing something, unless my wife falls in love with it, she tried it and really liked it already so who knows. Hey man remember that my new FZ6 was officially given to me to take care of from a friend... If not I will be murdered by the ball and chain :o I promised to behave and I don't so there you go... Why don't we try to let the women run the Ninjettes in the weekend and convince them they can join us on trips so we can keep them? If that fails we are forced to sell unfortunately, but as a last white lied desperate attempt it could work...

Modding Bikes helps value normally versus cars but if you worry leave it and try out my little fun one, and you can try Simon's as well he got the Area-P LOUD version...

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard

To quote the great John Mcenroe, " YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS " free one night with one of the Yamaha girls for each of us of our own choosing, :o

Sell it mate, that's what I did it's a great little bike and plenty of fun but the problem is it ignites your interest in bikes and pulls you into more serious territory.

Cheers Bard

I kinda always thought of the Ninjette as a gateway drug..

unless my wife falls in love with it, she tried it and really liked it already so who knows. Hey man remember that my new FZ6 was officially given to me to take care of from a friend... If not I will be murdered by the ball and chain :o I promised to behave and I don't so there you go... Why don't we try to let the women run the Ninjettes in the weekend and convince them they can join us on trips so we can keep them?

Manage that and I will bow down to the master :D !!