Work Permit Visa Extension To Married Persons Visa Extension

I currently have a work permit and correspondingly an extension of stay of my non imm B based on the permit which expires in May.

It is very likely that the company I am working for will go bust in the next couple of months and I am aware that in such event I am obliged to surrender the work permit and will be given 7 days to obtain a new non imm O visa.

There is no realistic chance of me getting further employment for some while due to the global economic situation.

I am however legally married to a Thai lady and have over 400k in a savings account with Siam Commercial bank.

I wish to know whether it is possible to convert the current WP extension to a married persons extension without first surrendering the work permit as it would obviously be prudent for me to do this now rather than wait for the inevitable and then rush around to sort out a new visa within 7 days.

If this is not possible, will I have to leave Thailand after surrendering the work permit and then get a married persons extension after getting a new non imm O or will Pattaya immigration automatically give me the married persons extension based on the original non imm B?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a work permit and correspondingly an extension of stay of my non imm B based on the permit which expires in May.

It is very likely that the company I am working for will go bust in the next couple of months and I am aware that in such event I am obliged to surrender the work permit and will be given 7 days to obtain a new non imm O visa.

There is no realistic chance of me getting further employment for some while due to the global economic situation.

I am however legally married to a Thai lady and have over 400k in a savings account with Siam Commercial bank.

I wish to know whether it is possible to convert the current WP extension to a married persons extension without first surrendering the work permit as it would obviously be prudent for me to do this now rather than wait for the inevitable and then rush around to sort out a new visa within 7 days.

If this is not possible, will I have to leave Thailand after surrendering the work permit and then get a married persons extension after getting a new non imm O or will Pattaya immigration automatically give me the married persons extension based on the original non imm B?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

The WP is allows you to work for the in the permit mentioned employer only. So when your employer goes bust you need to find a new employer and get a new WP. Losing your job means you will have to leave the country the same day, but you can get an extension of stay for 7 days for 1,900 baht. It is no longer necesarry to surrender your WP, but you must cancel your permission to stay.

You can change your permission to stay based on employment to a permission to stay based on marriage. No problem. If your employer knows when your job will end ask him for a letter in advance and go to immigration with the letter and ask to change your permisson to stay to that based on marriage.

You will need to bring your wife, marriage certificate and proof of 400,000 in the bank in the form of a bank letter. You will also need some other things, best call your immigration office about what exactly they will want to see.

Note that on an extension of stay based on marriage you can get a WP just as easily.

Edit:

People married to a Thai national can instead of an extension of stay for 7 days get an extension of stay for 60 days.

Edited by Mario2008

The few other things are, Up to date bank book showing the same bakance as the bank letter. Wife's ID Card and house registration. Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house. Map to the house. Your Wife will be inteviewed

As Mario said the 60 day extension will give you a bit of breathing space.

Wow!

Thanks for the very prompt and helpful replies.

The 60 day extention of stay will be very helpful.

This is the rule.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.