Money, Money, Money

a2396

OK, I know this is deja vu all over again to many members of this forum, but I have to ask. I am a "participant" in a Thai traditional marriage since September of 2004. The subject of money and how much keeps raising its ugly head every month or feew weeks. I currently give "Mama" 7000 bht for "room and board", since my lovely and I stay in the a residance where she (Mama) is located. My "lovely" started out with 4000 bht as OK, then raised it to 5000, then to 7000, where I drew the line. That is roughly 25% of my monthly income ($500 US). The lovely says she makes 9500 bht as a dept store employee (working 10-12 hr days). She says she has no option (ability) to cut back her hours. Lovely and I had a money talk recently and she got quite irate that I was not willing to turn over more, like maybe 50%, and very disappointed that my total income was not higher. My comment was that she maybe needs to find a man who has more money. We are living in NE Thailand, in case anyone is wondering, and it is not expensive to live here. Sounds like she would not quit the job without guarentees of 17,000, which would equal her salary loss + my "contributions". She is not bar girl. Any comments??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I know this is deja vu all over again to many members of this forum, but I have to ask. I am a "participant" in a Thai traditional marriage since September of 2004. The subject of money and how much keeps raising its ugly head every month or feew weeks. I currently give "Mama" 7000 bht for "room and board", since my lovely and I stay in the a residance where she (Mama) is located. My "lovely" started out with 4000 bht as OK, then raised it to 5000, then to 7000, where I drew the line. That is roughly 25% of my monthly income ($500 US). The lovely says she makes 9500 bht as a dept store employee (working 10-12 hr days). She says she has no option (ability) to cut back her hours. Lovely and I had a money talk recently and she got quite irate that I was not willing to turn over more, like maybe 50%, and very disappointed that my total income was not higher. My comment was that she maybe needs to find a man who has more money. We are living in NE Thailand, in case anyone is wondering, and it is not expensive to live here. Sounds like she would not quit the job without guarentees of 17,000, which would equal her salary loss + my "contributions". She is not bar girl. Any comments??

Get rid of her.

You should have sorted this out before marriage. Why are you and yor LOVELY living with mama? Cant you both get your own place? Then maybe when she sees the bills you gotta pay then maybe she'll shut up. I can never understand why guys like you get into this position.

I have mixed emotions for you. On one hand I sympathise with you. On the other, I agree with the statement 'why didn't you sort this out beforehand'

I give my , erm, lovely as you say 10,000 a month, no more. I have been asked many times to help further, which I obliged (5000 here, 10,000 there) I was recently asked for 30,000 towards her young brother's dowry becuase he got his girlfriend up the duff. I refused point blank and drew the line under it and absolutely will not budge again, other than her monthly 10,000 baht.

In my case, I conclude that as she left the bar scene for me, I have some kind of obligation to support her... but I will not be taken advantage of.

This is part of an ongoing process during which she is unaware (maybe) that she is under the spotlight and being assessed by me.

I'm in England making a pile of money right now. Listening to her 30 minutes ago on the phone drunk as a skunk on new years eve 'tee ruk, why you never believe I not butterfly'... <deleted> i'm pissed off.

She never complains about the money I send her however. This is either because she has another sponsor i have yet to discover, or she's the genuine article. I haven't established for sure yet.

My kneejerk reaction to your situation is... get rid of her. Your parting words should be 'Thai man or Farang man, you get same money from me. Don't like?... Fukc off.'

Don't be manipulated. Plead poverty and you'll soon realise what she sees in you.

I'm particularly cynical today so don't listen to me. God I'm depressed.

Unfortunately many Thai girls listen to their friends who have highly exagerated tales of "sponsorship" and how much their farang earns.

Are you living in LOS or US?

can you read??????

wotever gave you the idea he lives in US when he states he lives in thailand, and here you are giving advice on something you actually havent even read, lets hope people do not normally take your advice as its quite obvious your reading or understanding skills are lacking in the extreme :o

I have mixed emotions for you. On one hand I sympathise with you. On the other, I agree with the statement 'why didn't you sort this out beforehand'

I give my , erm, lovely as you say 10,000 a month, no more. I have been asked many times to help further, which I obliged (5000 here, 10,000 there) I was recently asked for 30,000 towards her young brother's dowry becuase he got his girlfriend up the duff. I refused point blank and drew the line under it and absolutely will not budge again, other than her monthly 10,000 baht.

In my case, I conclude that as she left the bar scene for me, I have some kind of obligation to support her... but I will not be taken advantage of.

This is part of an ongoing process during which she is unaware (maybe) that she is under the spotlight and being assessed by me.

I'm in England making a pile of money right now. Listening to her 30 minutes ago on the phone drunk as a skunk on new years eve 'tee ruk, why you never believe I not butterfly'... <deleted> i'm pissed off.

She never complains about the money I send her however. This is either because she has another sponsor i have yet to discover, or she's the genuine article. I haven't established for sure yet.

My kneejerk reaction to your situation is... get rid of her. Your parting words should be 'Thai man or Farang man, you get same money from me. Don't like?... Fukc off.'

Don't be manipulated. Plead poverty and you'll soon realise what she sees in you.

again...you're all been shafted :D

you're making a pile...save it ....then come to thailand and live a life of a riley :D

you don't need a permanent money sucker, and if you do, lay down the rules beforehand, heaven forbid she sticks to it :o

do what i do, live alone and take your casual picks, of which there are plenty :D

saves you money and you can fall in love a few times per month :D

again...you're all been shafted :D

you're making a pile...save it ....then come to thailand and live a life of a riley :D

you don't need a permanent money sucker, and if you do, lay down the rules beforehand, heaven forbid she sticks to it :o

do what i do, live alone and take your casual picks, of which there are plenty :D

saves you money and you can fall in love a few times per month :D

I'm ready to settle down. Different folks, different strokes i guess.

Unfortunately many Thai girls listen to their friends who have highly exagerated tales of "sponsorship" and how much their farang earns.

Are you living in LOS or US?

can you read??????

wotever gave you the idea he lives in US when he states he lives in thailand, and here you are giving advice on something you actually havent even read, lets hope people do not normally take your advice as its quite obvious your reading or understanding skills are lacking in the extreme :o

Don't jump down my throat.

Re-reading the last couple of lines, yes I can see that he does actually "Live" in LOS. His earlier statement that he "stays" there, along with quoting his income in $US rather than THB made me ask the question.

Fukc, so I'm not perfect.

Happy New Year ######

Its very early on NYE to already be drunk as a skunk. I also doubt that you would be her only sponsor if she was willing to leave the bar for only 10,000 baht per month.

My immediate reaction here is that you are slowly being suckered out of your money. It starts as small amounts and one she has the hooks in you then the demands slowly increase. If you give in then they know they have you where they want you. My advice is cut your losses and run.

As Flummoxed says it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out whether its you she wants or your money.

Its very early on NYE to already be drunk as a skunk. I also doubt that you would be her only sponsor if she was willing to leave the bar for only 10,000 baht per month.

I have been with my tgf 1 year now when i return to england i never send her any money,ok we have brought some land and i know i have not right of ownership to the land but when the house is finished at least i will own a % of that.I go to Thailand evey 2 months and when we are in bangkok i stay with her in her room i just pay the rent on that 3000 baht a month much cheaper then a hotel as i always stay for 1 month,do not let your tgf think you are a walking atm machine make her understand from the start money can't buy love its not worth over ok i will have invested around 600000 baht by the time the house is finished and if it al goes wrong no where near as much then if i had an English girlfriend 50% of a house in England i had to think how much that would cost if it all went wrong millons of baht no doubt.

if it al goes wrong no where near as much then if i had an English girlfriend 50% of a house in England i had to think how much that would cost if it all went wrong millons of baht no doubt.

Crap! I don't know who may have told you this nonsense but at least in the UK you have some legal protection. As long as you are sensible enough to protect yourself here before you eneter into anything you have no worries at all. In Thailand you stand to lose the lot if it all goes wrong.

I'm often amazed by the sheer numbers of guys willing to risk losing hundreds of thousands of Baht on this mythical premise.

The amount of money should be given to her, isn't determained

by how much do you earn? But how much she can earn?

(Doesn't mean if she earns 20,000Bhat/month, she has to be given

that much by you. Some Thais, earn as much as foreign husbands).

Since she works in a Department store and earns 9,000 Bhat/month,

she must be thinking your contribution is less than what she can earn.

I am not saying she is right, but this is how she is calculating.

Tell her, you can't gave her more, because you don't have it, and

that you are feeling bit "DISGUSTED"now, if she repeats it again, you

will not talk to her ever again (don't say you will pack, because thais

have little challenging minds).

In Thailand, Girls are everywhere, and it's mind-boggling. Trust me

you can find Thousands of girls that willing to stay with you for just

5,000Bhat.

One more thing, Don't think your "Diamond" is beauty Queen of Thailand,

take that out of your mind, your GF can be one of the ugliest to me. :o

Edited by ThaiGeared_HighThaied

In Thailand, Girls are everywhere, and it's mind-boggling. Trust me

you can find Thousands of girls that willing to stay with you for just

5,000Bhat.

Per night is not a bad deal :o

Seriously though I don't understand what's the point.

In a normal relation you pool your money together, subtract fixed costs such as rent, food, car etc, put something aside for unforeseen circumstances and spend whatever's left 50/50.

Per night is not a bad deal

In a normal relation you pool your money together, subtract fixed costs such as rent, food, car etc, put something aside for unforeseen circumstances and spend whatever's left 50/50.

Amen to that Meom! You may also make any division earnings related as well just to be fair but any more than that you are entering the realms of being a walking ATM in any country you are in.

I have been with my tgf 1 year now when i return to england i never send her any money,ok we have brought some land and i know i have not right of ownership to the land but when the house is finished at least i will own a % of that.I go to Thailand evey 2 months and when we are in bangkok i stay with her in her room i just pay the rent on that 3000 baht a month much cheaper then a hotel as i always stay for 1 month,do not let your tgf think you are a walking atm machine make her understand from the start money can't buy love its not worth over ok i will have invested around 600000 baht by the time the house is finished and if it al goes wrong no where near as much then if i had an English girlfriend 50% of a house in England i had to think how much that would cost if it all went wrong millons of baht no doubt.

My comments were regarding bringing a BG into retirement. You didn't say if your girl was an ex-BG, but if she is then I would bet my bottom dollar that she is still on the game when you are away, or else she also has one or more other "sponsor".

600,000 Baht if it all goes tits up. Thats probably about 8 years salary for a girl that works in a department store.

What would you do for 8 years salary?

Per night is not a bad deal

Amen to that Meom! You may also make any division earnings related as well just to be fair but any more than that you are entering the realms of being a walking ATM in any country you are in.

So you mean to say those hands I always find in my pants are maybe looking for the 2" atm card instead of the 9" naked gun?

After all this time I still don't know what to do about my girl.

I will go out tonight and get absolutely bladdered... there's my answer.

I think I've gone quite insane... wibble... wibble... someone help me.

Is all this mental self torture worth it? I don't think so.

I'm going to marry my avatar,,, she's dependable. I can be as sure as the sun will rise in the morning and set in the evening that she will wiggle to the left and then to the right. She'll never let my down... ah, dependable, predictable...............boring :o

Edited by Flummoxed

She is a bar girl manager and cashier of the bar i know she sees customers when im in England i do not sponsor her if every think worksout in april we will move into our new home start a business and she will not have to work job in bar no more if it goe's wrong you lose your money.All relationships are a gamble i hope mine works out to many people seem to think all Thai girls just want to rip you off that could be said for women all over the world just maybe this one is telling the truth i trust my girlfriend if she rips me off you can all have a good laugh and say i told you so.if it works out i will have a happy life in Thailand and it wiil have cost 600000 baht about £8000 a risk i am happy to take.

She is a bar girl manager and cashier of the bar i know she sees customers when im in England i do not sponsor her if every think worksout in april we will move into our new home start a business and she will not have to work job in bar no more if it goe's wrong you lose your money.All relationships are a gamble i hope mine works out to many people seem to think all Thai girls just want to rip you off that could be said for women all over the world just maybe this one is telling the truth i trust my girlfriend if she rips me off you can all have a good laugh and say i told you so.if it works out i will have a happy life in Thailand and it wiil have cost 600000 baht about £8000 a risk i am happy to take.

Put the 8 grand on a horse called 'Som nam na' in the 2:30 at newmarket... a safer bet by far buddy.

The fact that your happy for your girl to see customers in your absence repulses me.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes ye sye s yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes ye s yes yes ye sy es yes yes yes yes yes yes..........NO!

Give me joy in my heart keep me singing. Give me joy in my heart I prey.

Give me joy in my heart keep me singing, keep me singing till the break of day...

SING HOSANNA, SING hosanna, SING HOSANNA till the break, of, daaaaaay :o

My eyes are dim eye cannot see, I have not brought my specs with ME!

The sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time. Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Run rabbit run, dig that hole, forget the sun, when at last the work is done, don't sit down, it's time to dig another one.

whys no one in live chat :o

what ahve I gone done I told her to go ###### herself.

She#s on an adult education course you know, learning bout computers and stuff and english and everything. trying to impress me. of course it's all a facade to impress me and her new life at home with the kids isn't it....... isn't it?

I'm marrying my avatar you know

I dont understand why anyone would go for a bar girl, these girls have

more miles than the space shuttle

You sound like an expert in BG's, I'm married to an ex BG for 12 years now, sorry I didn't check her "milage" but I could never have found a better wife, BG's are human beings and many of them not in the trade out of choicen it's a need to help support the family, they are lovely and warm people.

I dont understand why anyone would go for a bar girl, these girls have

more miles than the space shuttle

You sound like an expert in BG's, I'm married to an ex BG for 12 years now, sorry I didn't check her "milage" but I could never have found a better wife, BG's are human beings and many of them not in the trade out of choicen it's a need to help support the family, they are lovely and warm people.

Good reply my feelings are same same,my girlfriend is in the same position as your was all those years ago we are now trying to build a safe and happy future together that includes her family too i have already meet all her family and will see them soon.I arrive Bkk 5/1/2005 can't wait to get home again and get a sniff kiss of my girlfriend.