Thai Airways Cut Domestic, International Fares

george

Wow grantbkk, an excellent letter and one that I agree with.

Unfortunately, it will either not be understood or just ignored.

I used to think TG's domestic service was so much better than western carriers, but now, it's just as bad. That's why I try to fly Nok. If I am not going to get anything special, at least charge me accordingly like Nok.

You're right to say the complaints and suggestions by everyone will fall on deaf ears. Who could possibly know more than an executive at THAI? Like you, I've spoken with my money and feet. Nowadays maybe because of Total Quality Management or some such thing they got going down there someone is responsible for reading and talking about my off the wall missive. They may get a good laugh out of it during a fully catered lunch before the obligatory massage that will help the executives perform better hopefully.

Great letter Grant,

That certainly needs to get their attention. All good points.

Could you send them it a few times?

Could you also cc TAT, other travel organisations, chambers of commerce? (EDIT.. and other airlines in the region)

Or even send the original mail to the other organisations stating...

"Dear Sir / Madam,

I thought you may be interested in the following mail I recently sent to THAI AIRWAYS..."

and then copy THAI AIRWAYS on that.

Edited by Splatter

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow grantbkk, an excellent letter and one that I agree with.

Unfortunately, it will either not be understood or just ignored.

I used to think TG's domestic service was so much better than western carriers, but now, it's just as bad. That's why I try to fly Nok. If I am not going to get anything special, at least charge me accordingly like Nok.

You're right to say the complaints and suggestions by everyone will fall on deaf ears. Who could possibly know more than an executive at THAI? Like you, I've spoken with my money and feet. Nowadays maybe because of Total Quality Management or some such thing they got going down there someone is responsible for reading and talking about my off the wall missive. They may get a good laugh out of it during a fully catered lunch before the obligatory massage that will help the executives perform better hopefully.

Great letter Grant,

That certainly needs to get their attention. All good points.

Could you send them it a few times?

Could you also cc TAT, other travel organisations, chambers of commerce? (EDIT.. and other airlines in the region)

Or even send the original mail to the other organisations stating...

"Dear Sir / Madam,

I thought you may be interested in the following mail I recently sent to THAI AIRWAYS..."

and then copy THAI AIRWAYS on that.

At your suggestion I sent the letter along with a nice note to TAT. Feel free to send a copy or any part of it to anyone you wish. Cheers.

Thai airwas !

I flying thai for 8 years now,

its getting worse and worse,

last time they saved the cognac already,

for halv a year you dont get slippers any more,

with miles you get ripped off,

needed awrd miles increased for more than 30%

the birthdaybonus is also gone;

The food is getting worse,

last time I got sick, and sure only from Thai cartering,

on my last reeboking from PAD desaster,

they didn't confirm the bookinh from Delhi

and I had to pay another ticket

I didn't look at age of the plains,

but look at the sanitary part -

( I havnt seen similar in some african airlines );

Tables are scribbing or broken,

seats are moving alone,

earphones and hand controls are inoperative;

To prices !!

Ther are some ticket prices reduced !

But so many restrictions,

you will not take or catch the flight you want,

they want catch you and sell the normal fair tickets !!

As some other mentions:

Fuel surcharge is same like when barrel were 180 $,

for promotional tickets, connecting flight is 260,- Eur,

before december it was 200,-

rebooking fee is dubbled to 300,- Eur;

When ever I want an award or miles upgrade to business,

no seat for upgrade available.

I checked it out- by online booking from BKK,

an all flights for 6 months from BKK to FRA or Mu,

NO ONE SINGLE AWARD seat were available !!

beleave or not !!!

Arabic airline I can't choose,

Im not a muslim, therfore I dont take off

my shoes for relegian treatment !

But I will check China and EVA for sure.

even will get resident in LOS short.

Had to travel on Thai recently BKK to LHR for emergency family reasons and ended up paying full price 51,000 Baht. The usual economy was poor food and virtually no inflight entertainment.

But the flight was full.

I can never understand why Thai, which is overpriced and offers very poor aircraft and services can still fill it's flights.

Had to travel on Thai recently BKK to LHR for emergency family reasons and ended up paying full price 51,000 Baht. The usual economy was poor food and virtually no inflight entertainment.

But the flight was full.

I can never understand why Thai, which is overpriced and offers very poor aircraft and services can still fill it's flights.

I really think that people passengers pay for the poor aircraft and dud service because they feel some sort of affinity with Thailand. Like a lover who gets mistreated, some keep coming back for more and more.

TheWalkingMan

A little note I just sent off to THAI:

Dear Thai Airways Executives:

You may or may not be aware that Thai Airways International (THAI) is truly taking a beating in the international press as well as many popular online travel sites regarding substandard service and overpricing. I am not in the travel industry nor am I an economist however it appears to this former frequent flyer that your airline is being poorly mismanaged and customer service is becoming nonexistent. I simply want to make you aware that the perception of THAI service and value is now comparable to Thailand in general. THAI seems to see no value in meeting the needs of its customer base or improving traveler perception of a once great airline.

By way of example I would like you to read the running dialog in the Bangkok Post Opinion Section, Letters to the Editor, for the past week. I think you will be embarrassed about how the Business Class traveler perceives your airline. The overall theme of the opinions is that your service is in steep decline with no end in sight. The running joke around the world for years has been what is called “Thai Economics”. This proven theory outlines the fact that if the customer base and revenue decline a Thai business simply needs to increase prices to make up for the shortfall. This theory almost never works but is practiced until executives come to their collective senses of the business fails. The hotels and resorts in Thailand are starting to get it by halving their prices to save their businesses and keep employees on the job. Even THAI’s competition have all cut fares to stay in business while THAI cuts routes and services while holding the line on ticket prices.

You should have become aware by now that there is a global economic crisis that is affecting your bottom line. I did see that THAI is requesting a multi-billion Baht stimulus package from the government but without a specific plan to spend the giveaway. THAI recently announced that the direct flight to Los Angeles may have to be scrapped because of declining load factors. My advice would be to cut fares to be at the very least within sight of your competition. It is pure hubris to expect travelers to pay tens of thousands of Baht more to fly THAI especially when cabin service has gotten worse in recent years.

Finally, I just want to you and your staff to take a look at references to THAI online. Social networking and information sharing on the web is having a negative impact on your business in general. You need to Google yourself and see just what is out there. First impressions are the ones that people remember for a long time and what they see online will turn them off forever. One site: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Airways...at-t237126.html is widely read around the world. If it were me I would immediately get the appropriate management teams involved to stem the bleeding of your public relations nightmare. “Crisis Management Intervention” is wildly used in business and someone who went to school in the West will know the precepts or at least the concepts that could begin save your sinking ship.

I realize my criticism sounds harsh but many believe THAI is in crisis and prompt action is required to get passengers flying again. These problems are not going away soon or by themselves. Competent and strong leadership will be required to reverse the decline. I for one hope someday to return to the fold and fly THAI in the near future.

Sincerely, (grantbkk)

grant, the only correspondence that Thai airways people will read is one that's brief and flattering, or at least a commendation of their services.

If within the 1st or 2nd sentence, they detect any hint that the letter is non-flattering, they'll probably chuck it in the waste bin. This is particularly true if the letter is in a language other than Thai.

Have you ever tried making a mention to an employee/manager of a Thai biz - on how they might improve their services or products? If it's a mention of not praising their biz, they'll either walk away or get annoyed/defensive. At best, they'll give an indication of acknowledgment, then walk away with a confused look on their faces. Improvements won't come forth from mentions/complaints from farang.

You may or may not be aware that Thai Airways International (THAI) is truly taking a beating in the international press as well as many popular online travel sites regarding substandard service and overpricing. I am not in the travel industry nor am I an economist however it appears to this former frequent flyer that your airline is being poorly mismanaged and customer service is becoming nonexistent. I simply want to make you aware that the perception of THAI service and value is now comparable to Thailand in general. THAI seems to see no value in meeting the needs of its customer base or improving traveler perception of a once great airline.

By way of example I would like you to read the running dialog in the Bangkok Post Opinion Section, Letters to the Editor, for the past week. I think you will be embarrassed about how the Business Class traveler perceives your airline. The overall theme of the opinions is that your service is in steep decline with no end in sight. The running joke around the world for years has been what is called "Thai Economics". This proven theory outlines the fact that if the customer base and revenue decline a Thai business simply needs to increase prices to make up for the shortfall. This theory almost never works but is practiced until executives come to their collective senses of the business fails. The hotels and resorts in Thailand are starting to get it by halving their prices to save their businesses and keep employees on the job. Even THAI's competition have all cut fares to stay in business while THAI cuts routes and services while holding the line on ticket prices.

You should have become aware by now that there is a global economic crisis that is affecting your bottom line. I did see that THAI is requesting a multi-billion Baht stimulus package from the government but without a specific plan to spend the giveaway. THAI recently announced that the direct flight to Los Angeles may have to be scrapped because of declining load factors. My advice would be to cut fares to be at the very least within sight of your competition. It is pure hubris to expect travelers to pay tens of thousands of Baht more to fly THAI especially when cabin service has gotten worse in recent years.

Finally, I just want to you and your staff to take a look at references to THAI online. Social networking and information sharing on the web is having a negative impact on your business in general. You need to Google yourself and see just what is out there. First impressions are the ones that people remember for a long time and what they see online will turn them off forever. One site: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Airways...at-t237126.html is widely read around the world. If it were me I would immediately get the appropriate management teams involved to stem the bleeding of your public relations nightmare. "Crisis Management Intervention" is wildly used in business and someone who went to school in the West will know the precepts or at least the concepts that could begin save your sinking ship.

I realize my criticism sounds harsh but many believe THAI is in crisis and prompt action is required to get passengers flying again. These problems are not going away soon or by themselves. Competent and strong leadership will be required to reverse the decline. I for one hope someday to return to the fold and fly THAI in the near future.

Sincerely, (grantbkk)

Thai Airways Executives thinking:

"Cheap Khao San Farang, always wants something cheap. Fly low cost airlines, take bus to Khao San, eat on the street, live in cramp bunk beds. And now want to fly on a world class award winning THAI Airways International on a cheap. Not a chance."

On my last flight things were really bad also. no flight entertainement, Pork where there used to be fish before, wine mediocre. But worse the Airco was so strong that me and the people around me were freezing. i asked to put up the heat, they did twice to be back in a freezer, 20 minutes later!

Had severe head-aches from the cold in Thailand that ruined a part of my holiday. I wrote a complaint about the poor service, never got an answer from them!

Their mailbox must be full! I am going to use my miles, pay the difference and after that never fly back with them! From Nice, to Phuket, I payed1180 € my ticket in November!!!

But the flight was full.

Between the UK and Thailand, they have the advantage of flying direct with no stop-over. Also the last time I flew with them, there was no charge for changing the return flight date which I made ample use of. This is something other airlines charge you upwards of £50 for.

But the flight was full.

Between the UK and Thailand, they have the advantage of flying direct with no stop-over. Also the last time I flew with them, there was no charge for changing the return flight date which I made ample use of. This is something other airlines charge you upwards of £50 for.

Lucky you, I was charged 200 €!

The BKK-MADRID planes are from around 1985.

the oldest Thai Airways B747-400 currently in service was delivered new in 1990. The youngest was delivered new in 2003.

You refer to www.airfleets.net ?

Well, something is wrong. I was flying a lot between Paris-BKK (B747) during 2004,2005 and 2006. And I remember, I saw the plate "1984".

that was 3, 4 and 5 years ago now. Perhaps that was when they were using 747-300's. The B747-400 they use now was only certified for operations in 1989.

But the flight was full.

Lucky you, I was charged 200 €!

Maybe they changed the policy, or it's only available on some tickets. When did you fly with them?. Mine was a few years ago.

By way of example I would like you to read the running dialog in the Bangkok Post Opinion Section, Letters to the Editor, for the past week. I think you will be embarrassed about how the Business Class traveler perceives your airline. The overall theme of the opinions is that your service is in steep decline with no end in sight. The running joke around the world for years has been what is called “Thai Economics”. This proven theory outlines the fact that if the customer base and revenue decline a Thai business simply needs to increase prices to make up for the shortfall. This theory almost never works but is practiced until executives come to their collective senses of the business fails. The hotels and resorts in Thailand are starting to get it by halving their prices to save their businesses and keep employees on the job. Even THAI’s competition have all cut fares to stay in business while THAI cuts routes and services while holding the line on ticket prices.

Finally, I just want to you and your staff to take a look at references to THAI online. Social networking and information sharing on the web is having a negative impact on your business in general. You need to Google yourself and see just what is out there. First impressions are the ones that people remember for a long time and what they see online will turn them off forever. One site: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Airways...at-t237126.html is widely read around the world. If it were me I would immediately get the appropriate management teams involved to stem the bleeding of your public relations nightmare. “Crisis Management Intervention” is wildly used in business and someone who went to school in the West will know the precepts or at least the concepts that could begin save your sinking ship.

Sincerely, (grantbkk)

grant, the only correspondence that Thai airways people will read is one that's brief and flattering, or at least a commendation of their services.

If within the 1st or 2nd sentence, they detect any hint that the letter is non-flattering, they'll probably chuck it in the waste bin. This is particularly true if the letter is in a language other than Thai.

Have you ever tried making a mention to an employee/manager of a Thai biz - on how they might improve their services or products? If it's a mention of not praising their biz, they'll either walk away or get annoyed/defensive. At best, they'll give an indication of acknowledgment, then walk away with a confused look on their faces. Improvements won't come forth from mentions/complaints from farang.

I don't know how you can be so cynical of your fellow man and Thai Airways. This morning I got this response from THAI and all should be peachy after their next staff meeting. Right?

Dear (grantbkk),

Thank you for your e-mail written concerning your suggestion about THAI Airways International.

We really appreciated receiving your interesting comments and thank you for taking the time to write. We would like to assure you that letters such as yours are always acted upon, in our continual striving to achieve the best possible service at every level of our organization, and for this reason we truly value your comments.

We trust that we shall have further opportunities to welcome you on board THAI Airways International's Royal Orchid Service during your future travels. Until such time we send you our best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Weraluck Bhensuwan

for Ton Loharjun

Department Manager

Customer Relations Service Department

Sincerely, (grantbkk)

I don't know how you can be so cynical of your fellow man and Thai Airways. This morning I got this response from THAI and all should be peachy after their next staff meeting. Right?

Dear (grantbkk),

Thank you for your e-mail written concerning your suggestion about THAI Airways International.

We really appreciated receiving your interesting comments and thank you for taking the time to write. We would like to assure you that letters such as yours are always acted upon, in our continual striving to achieve the best possible service at every level of our organization, and for this reason we truly value your comments.

We trust that we shall have further opportunities to welcome you on board THAI Airways International's Royal Orchid Service during your future travels. Until such time we send you our best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Weraluck Bhensuwan

for Ton Loharjun

Department Manager

Customer Relations Service Department

Wow, unbelievable they actually answered...:-)

Wow, unbelievable they actually answered...:-)

Well, probably a standard print, with no excuses, no compensation, for the bad service they have been offering their customers! I will take my miles, as the only promotion is that I need 50.000 Miles instead of 70.000, and from Nice take Emirats! Wish I did not have those points, so I could fly emirats directly!