Marriage Visa V Retirement Visa

Well, a few weeks ago at Suan Plu room 101, a woman told me that joint accounts weren't accepted for an extension!!

Hi ,

there seems to be another big disadvantage of not-accepting joint accounts.

If I do the right interpretation of the "Deposit Protection Agency Act 2008" , accounts of foreigners not residing in the Kingdom are not protected.

If your bank is crashing........................money is gone.

Please advice.

Regards

Werner

Well, a few weeks ago at Suan Plu room 101, a woman told me that joint accounts weren't accepted for an extension!!

Hi ,

there seems to be another big disadvantage of not-accepting joint accounts.

If I do the right interpretation of the "Deposit Protection Agency Act 2008" , accounts of foreigners not residing in the Kingdom are not protected.

If your bank is crashing........................money is gone.

Please advice.

Regards

Werner

If true than the question would be what is understood with residing. I believe the tax law has for instance a different definition for this than the immigration act.

There is a thread "Deposit Protection Agency Act Takes Effect Today" in " Thailand Forum > Business in Thailand, Jobs in Thailand > Jobs, economy, banking, business, investment in Thailand

but no final answer to this question given. I am German , it is much harder for me to find out what they really mean. But most of the farang in Thailand are considered not to be residents !?

Are there still any Thai legal people in this forum to give an answer ???

Regards

Werner

The old rule also allowed for a case of marriage with a Thai lady before Oct 2006 (as in my case) to have money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 for the past 3 months

Old Rules

the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

New Rule

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

This is the difference.

As my marriage visa renewal is due in two months I went down to our "local" immigration office today (Phu Sing, Sisaket Province) with Joint Savings A/C Passbook and Thai wife in tow. I asked the immigration officer whom I normally deal with if it was valid under the new rules for renewal of Marriage Visa in two months.

He said yes, of course, it is the same a/c you always use and is perfectly in order and appeared puzzled why I should ask such a question. I then pointed out that some immigration offices are insisting that the bank a/c be in the name of the applicant only, and not a joint a/c, under the wording of the new rules. He replied quite adamantly that this is NOT the case and that there has been no guideline or interpretation from the immigration dept to this effect. He went on to say that they much prefer to deal with a long standing bank a/c such as mine than a different one each year as that could arouse suspicion of abuse or fraud.

Anyway, I was relieved that I did not have to explain to my wife why she should give up her share of Bt400K in the bank as she hovered like the sword of Damocles :o

As my marriage visa renewal is due in two months I went down to our "local" immigration office today (Phu Sing, Sisaket Province) with Joint Savings A/C Passbook and Thai wife in tow. I asked the immigration officer whom I normally deal with if it was valid under the new rules for renewal of Marriage Visa in two months.

He said yes, of course, it is the same a/c you always use and is perfectly in order and appeared puzzled why I should ask such a question. I then pointed out that some immigration offices are insisting that the bank a/c be in the name of the applicant only, and not a joint a/c, under the wording of the new rules. He replied quite adamantly that this is NOT the case and that there has been no guideline or interpretation from the immigration dept to this effect. He went on to say that they much prefer to deal with a long standing bank a/c such as mine than a different one each year as that could arouse suspicion of abuse or fraud.

Anyway, I was relieved that I did not have to explain to my wife why she should give up her share of Bt400K in the bank as she hovered like the sword of Damocles :o

Different immigration offices different requirements.

I think when you are dealing with smaller offices and they know you from before you will get a better response than the big ones.

Different immigration offices different requirements.

I think when you are dealing with smaller offices and they know you from before you will get a better response than the big ones.

There are also offices which like to find non-existent problems which can be fixed "by arrangement"!

For an explanation you will have to look at the Foreign Exchange Control Act, that one gives the definition of who is considered a resident.

Hi Mario,

Sorry , but I knew this before.

Question : What does this Foreign Exchange Control Act say about it ??? What is the definition???

This forum has thousands of members. Does anybody know ?

Regards and thanks in advance

Werner

Sorry, I can't find a Freign Exchange Control Act, but can find a Exchange Control Act. However, that one doesn't give a definition either.

I recommend asking your question at the jobs, economy, banking section. There they will have more knowledge about this subject.

Edited by Mario2008

I think it may depend upon the type of account opened.

See this page at Bangkok bank: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nk+Accounts.htm

I have found similar reference at other banks that mention a resident baht acccount or non resident baht account.

In the case mentioned at Bangkok Bank if you can get a Certificate of Residence from immigration or have a work permit you can open a resident baht account.

I think it may depend upon the type of account opened.

See this page at Bangkok bank: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nk+Accounts.htm

I have found similar reference at other banks that mention a resident baht acccount or non resident baht account.

In the case mentioned at Bangkok Bank if you can get a Certificate of Residence from immigration or have a work permit you can open a resident baht account.

Hi Ubonjoe,

This was real help ! We can sort it out now ! Here is what I found at the Bangkok Bank webpage :

" Non Resident Baht Account:

If you receive funds from abroad that will be used for investment purposes or which you may wish to repatriate in the future, then a Non-Resident Baht Account is the most suitable account to use.

Bangkok Bank offers Non-Resident Baht Accounts to individuals and to companies registered in Thailand and overseas. The benefit of a Non-Resident Baht Account is that the source of all funds and the purpose of each deposit or withdrawal are recorded according to the Bank of Thailand's regulations and the receipts provided by Bangkok Bank can be used as evidence of international funds transfers. This is important when funds are for investment purposes and are expected to be repatriated at a later stage.

The disadvantage is that, due to the Bank of Thailand reporting requirements, a Non-Resident Baht Account is largely manually operated and is not accessible through ATMs or Bangkok Bank's internet banking service Bualuang iBanking. This means this type of account is not very convenient for day-to-day banking. In addition, a Non-Resident Baht Account can only be opened and operated from our Head Office on Silom Road in Bangkok."

This means , that our accounts accessible by ATM are not this kind of non-resident account !!!!

Regards

Werner

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents.

I am married to a thai lady and hope to move to our land that we own in about 5 years (Chiang Rai).

When we were in BKK a couple of years ago inquiring about registering our american marriage, we met a man outside of the American embassy that directed us to a company that basically handles all of your visa concerns. They sat us down and filled out all of our forms, took our passports, and a small fee, and sent someone to stand in line for us at 'who knows' what government agency. We came back later that day to find all of our paperwork stamped and finished.

My question is this, I wonder if this same type of company can take the pain out of visa renewals, as well, by being my proxy?

I have a short fuse and very little patience for bureaucracy(I got red-faced :o once and shouted at a thai bureaucrat and tore up their paperwork in front of them), thats why I use this type of visa company.

Has anyone had any similar experience? It seems to make perfect sense to let the 'insiders' handle the business of visas.

Just my two cents.

I am married to a thai lady and hope to move to our land that we own in about 5 years (Chiang Rai).

When we were in BKK a couple of years ago inquiring about registering our american marriage, we met a man outside of the American embassy that directed us to a company that basically handles all of your visa concerns. They sat us down and filled out all of our forms, took our passports, and a small fee, and sent someone to stand in line for us at 'who knows' what government agency. We came back later that day to find all of our paperwork stamped and finished.

My question is this, I wonder if this same type of company can take the pain out of visa renewals, as well, by being my proxy?

I have a short fuse and very little patience for bureaucracy(I got red-faced :o once and shouted at a thai bureaucrat and tore up their paperwork in front of them), thats why I use this type of visa company.

Has anyone had any similar experience? It seems to make perfect sense to let the 'insiders' handle the business of visas.

I am not sure what the man did for you that you mentioned. It sounds like he went to a amphoe and got your marriage registered.

Visas are not done here in Thailand they must be obtained at a embassy or consulate.

For an extension of stay at immigration you have to go yourself and for an extension based upon marriage your wife also. There are companies that will help you to get all the paperwork sorted out and then go to immigration with you to insure everything goes smoother. I am not sure it would be worth the costs since it is not really that hard to get extension done doing it yourself.

Just my two cents.

We are going off-topic here but you have raised the point and I feel the need to balance what you have said with another experience of the characters who loiter outside Western embassies. A friend of mine spent a ridiculous amount of money on these 'lawyers' to no avail. Be very careful and best avoid them.

Briggsy, it looks to me like the “character” your friend dealt with is unlike the person NamSod dealt with for his marriage registration. What he needed was a translation of his US birth certificate into Thai by a certified translator, then the “legalisation” (certification) of the translator's signature by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and finally the registration at the Amphur (district) office. These contacts outside embassies are usually representatives of translation offices, their fees are very reasonable and lots of people avail of their services and are satisfied with them. NamSod's contact apparently went further and also handled the registration at the Amphur for him, for a small fee that NamSod says he was happy to pay.

NamSod, applications for extension of stay are a different matter for which the agents outside foreign embassies most likely would not have the necessary experience. It is true that it is quite easy to do this yourself but there are quite a number of people who use an agent to handle it for the convenience and the time saved, although the applicant does have to put in at least one personal appearance at the immigration office but he can be accompanied by the agent. You have indicated your own and valid reason for preferring to use an agent. When the time comes for you to make such application for extension you can post in the Chiang Rai forum on ThaiVisa to ask if such agents are available in that city, which may be doubtful, or perhaps your Thai wife will find a suitable person to assist you, and her, with the application. Your aversion to bureaucratic procedures should not be an obstacle to your full enjoyment of your retirement in Thailand. Your wife and/or an agent can handle all interaction with the bureaucracy with the exception of once a year when you have to show your face at the immigration office.

--

Maestro

Maestro,

Just curious, what happens when and if I am both old and feeble minded or disabled and still living in Thailand, are there any provisions for me to renew via proxy or should I just not worry (if I have a mind) about my yearly renewals then?

:o

Your wife and/or an agent can handle all interaction with the bureaucracy with the exception of once a year when you have to show your face at the immigration office.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...