Marriage Visa V Retirement Visa

Can anyone offer me some advice. I'm and UK citizen, 54 and married to a Thai national (11years). At the moment I have a retirement 'O' visa, renewed last Oct. I have read some articles regarding the marriage visa. I'm interested in this as the financial requirements do not appear to be as stringent as for those of the retirement visa, (especially now as the pound appears to losing value every day).

I have been told that getting this visa can take up to 3 months as it has to go back to Bangkok for approval, is this true and when would I apply for the visa, any time or when my current one expires.

Any comments would appreciated

Can anyone offer me some advice. I'm and UK citizen, 54 and married to a Thai national (11years). At the moment I have a retirement 'O' visa, renewed last Oct. I have read some articles regarding the marriage visa. I'm interested in this as the financial requirements do not appear to be as stringent as for those of the retirement visa, (especially now as the pound appears to losing value every day).

I have been told that getting this visa can take up to 3 months as it has to go back to Bangkok for approval, is this true and when would I apply for the visa, any time or when my current one expires.

Any comments would appreciated

Firstly there is no such thing as a Marriage Visa or a Retirement Visa. You are talking about 12 month extensions of stay.

For the Marriage option Ubojoe gave you the financial requirements.

Also you will need. Wife's ID Card and house registration. Marriage Certificate. Embassy or bank letter certifying your income or bank balance. Up to date bank book. Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house. Map showing the way to your house. Application form. Take your Wife to be interviewed. You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go back in one month to your extension.

What would happen if they interviewed the wife and decided for what ever reason not to give you a Marriage visa could you still get a Retirement Extension????????

Most Immigration offices prefer to issue an extention for Retirement, as its less paperwork for them IMHO.

Dave

What would happen if they interviewed the wife and decided for what ever reason not to give you a Marriage visa could you still get a Retirement Extension????????

Yes, you can, as long as you meet the simple requirements for the retirement extension (age, evidence of financial means)

--

Maestro

I always put "Marriage" I do not think it really matters,

It doesn’t matter one jot. On my part, fascinated by the often convoluted language of bureaucracy, I love to use that same language when dealing with them. Just one of the small temptations to which I succumb.

--

Maestro

I asked at CM immigration today about the 400k in the bank after reading some of the other comments regarding BKK process. The rule is that the 400k must be in your (applicants name only account) NOT a joint account (which I have always used up to now).

I asked at CM immigration today about the 400k in the bank after reading some of the other comments regarding BKK process. The rule is that the 400k must be in your (applicants name only account) NOT a joint account (which I have always used up to now).

Yes. That is the rule since November 2008. A step backwards in my view.

Can you give me a reference to this change of rule? I have studied "Order of the Royal Police HQ # 777/2551" but there doesn't appear to be any change in type of a/c referred to.

Can you give me a reference to this change of rule? I have studied "Order of the Royal Police HQ # 777/2551" but there doesn't appear to be any change in type of a/c referred to.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

But the only change in the wording from the previous deposit requirement is from 3 to 2 months. I am in the position where I meet the requirements as I understand them, and always have. I need to renew my (marriage non O) visa end of Mar but cannot see a requirement to alter my banking arrangements. Tks

In the old rule, valid from 1 OCT 2006 unitl 23 NOV 2008, it read like this:

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month

--

Maestro

In the old rule, valid from 1 OCT 2006 unitl 23 NOV 2008, it read like this:

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month

--

Maestro

The old rule also allowed for a case of marriage with a Thai lady before Oct 2006 (as in my case) to have money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 for the past 3 months

The old rule also allowed for a case of marriage with a Thai lady before Oct 2006 (as in my case) to have money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 for the past 3 months

Old Rules

the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

New Rule

This is the difference.

I had to get a new account opened in my name only as I'm going to apply for an extension soon. My wife & I have 2 joint accounts and the only activity in them is the deposit/withdrawal of monthly interest. We have millions in joint a/cs, but they want a paltry B400K in a single name only? Why!!?? I am also having to withdraw and deposit money into this new a/c so as to show it is active and we are using it for daily expenses.

money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I mean, anyone can get legally married to a bar girl (for a fee, of course), get a year visa and extension, dump her as soon as the visa is issued and keep all his own money. Whereas decent, law abiding people (like myself!! :o ) must not share their money with their wife. Surely that is what marriage is all about? Sharing your lives and possessions. I personally do not own anything; WE do. They want to see photos of you both around the house, a marriage cert, evidence of living together as a loving couple, but no joint accounts? I mean, what the ????!!

Edited by Lite Beer

I had to get a new account opened in my name only as I'm going to apply for an extension soon. My wife & I have 2 joint accounts and the only activity in them is the deposit/withdrawal of monthly interest. We have millions in joint a/cs, but they want a paltry B400K in a single name only? Why!!?? I am also having to withdraw and deposit money into this new a/c so as to show it is active and we are using it for daily expenses.

money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I mean, anyone can get legally married to a bar girl (for a fee, of course), get a year visa and extension, dump her as soon as the visa is issued and keep all his own money. Whereas decent, law abiding people (like myself!! :o ) must not share their money with their wife. Surely that is what marriage is all about? Sharing your lives and possessions. I personally do not own anything; WE do. They want to see photos of you both around the house, a marriage cert, evidence of living together as a loving couple, but no joint accounts? I mean, what the ????!!

Nobody can disagree with most of that JD

If you read the new rules it doesnt say that the bank account cannot be in joint names, but it does state that the husbands name must be on it! So a joint account would be OK. What they have changed from using just a womens name(wife) account,

Edited by peterandcat

If you read the new rules it doesnt say that the bank account cannot be in joint names, but it does state that the husbands name must be on it! So a joint account would be OK.
There have been several reports that immigration is not accepting joint accounts. Even from those that have been using a joint account for several years.

Police order says the following.

So they are interpreting it as an account of the husband only.

Did an extension in CNX last Dec.

Same joint account from the last 14 years with more than the requested amount on it.

No problem, all the papers (60 + A4 copies) about the company and work permit where returned and not even used for the file.

But you never know how they will think next time.

Did an extension in CNX last Dec.

Same joint account from the last 14 years with more than the requested amount on it.

No problem, all the papers (60 + A4 copies) about the company and work permit where returned and not even used for the file.

But you never know how they will think next time.

For old cases immigration has the power to allow an extension under the old rules, but only for the first year since the new rules were introduced. As of 25-11-2009 you will also fall under the old rules.

Just got mine last week this is my 5th time and no problem with joint account, or letter from your embassy stating 40,000. stop worrying i have never showed pics of me and wife or house have never and i say, never been ask for such thing i don't know where some people get all their information , need to stop scaring the newbies, marriage license , proof of money wife thai id your passport ,wife house book, photos and 1900 baht and get 30 day stamp and then go and get your 1 tear visa simple as that grandpa-m

Just got mine last week this is my 5th time and no problem with joint account, or letter from your embassy stating 40,000. stop worrying i have never showed pics of me and wife or house have never and i say, never been ask for such thing i don't know where some people get all their information , need to stop scaring the newbies, marriage license , proof of money wife thai id your passport ,wife house book, photos and 1900 baht and get 30 day stamp and then go and get your 1 tear visa simple as that grandpa-m
The photo requirement comes from the immigration website and is what a lot of immigration offices want.

The 40,000 Baht income is an option that can be used instead of 400K in the bank.

Some offices are not allowing a joint account.

The best advise is to check with the local immigration office to see what they require.