Tiger Kingdom

eek

Bf just sent me a sms about news saying that a girl from NZ has been bitten by a tiger at the Tiger Kingdom.

Apparently something like 54 stitches or so required? :o

Can anyone confirm?

Sorry, i dont know the details yets.

Truly terrible if this is accurate. Wonder how it could have happened.

I wish her all the best in her recovery. :D

It's in the paper today, I understand. A farang lady was injured and needed about 50 stitches. The place has always been at the centre of the do they/don't they sedate them controversy and this looks likely to reawaken the debate about the advisability of cuddling potentially lethal wild animals as part of a tourist attraction. What struck me is the way the obvious commercial nature of the place is at odds with it supposedly being run by a bunch of monks who's spirituality keeps the animals docile enough to pet.

Edited by Greenside

Tnx Greenside.

If anyone has a link that would be great. Had a quick google search on it and didnt know that there have already been reports about bites, including some drawing blood. I went once when it first opened but, although I really wanted to pet the tigers, I decided wouldnt be a good idea for me or for them. I dont recall reading any major warnings at the time. Do they have major warnings? I suppose some would say common sense should prevail, but many put their trust in the trainers and forget they are handling large animals who can injure even if they are just being playful.

First concern is for the lady involved. Second concern is for the animals. Will the tigers suffer any repercussions for natural actions? Is there a lack of responsibility here?

Its in the Thai Rath online edition today: http://www.thairath.co.th/offline.php?sect...;content=120746

Tiger Kingdom is the place in Mae Rim not the one in kachanburi I believe, as with any wild animal its just a matter of time before tragedy while 50 stitchs is not nice its a scratch compared to what these animals are capable of.

sadly nothing will change and business as usual tommorow

Terribly sorry to hear this I hope the lady in question makes a full recovery.

Apparently the tiger in question was 14 months old. Madness that a wild cat of this age should be allowed close to the public. I have a book written by a guy who hunted tigers in 1860's India. He often took wild cubs after they had shot the mother (oh the ignorance of those times!) The cubs were allowed around the house just like domestic cats but he was very clear that when they got to one year they had to go to zoos or be sold into private collections as they became dangerous and unpredictable, no matter how tame or docile they appeared to be. A tourist with a 14 month tiger was a patently dangerous situation.

Just saw the story on the evening news. Bites on the arm. Nasty but not deadly. The owner was quoted as saying that the woman was wearing something that was dangling off her clothing and that made the tiger react. He said he will pay the hospital bills.

Visitors sign a waiver, but I can't imagine that it would hold up in court. You don't just sign away

Correct that Tiger Kingdom is not the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi. No monks here, it's a business with a branch in Isaan and one here. A year or so ago I went to play with very young tiger cubs and it was a great experience, but declined the opportunity to hang out with the biggies.

It's a cool experience and the place is nicely setup and apparently very well run. Way better than any zoo or other animal-related attraction I have seen in Thailand. But given the nature of tigers, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

I love tiger kingdom!

Hope this lady is ok, must have been a scary experience.

I have been several times with with two young sons who love watching the tigers whilst we drink beer and eat! I think it's a great place, they have a breeding program in place which is good as the Thai Tigers are becoming extinct in the wild. I would NEVER go in with the tigers though, especially with children as Tigers are wild animals and could potentially kill at any momment. I have to admit I'm allways taken aback by the amount of tourists that are quite happy to go into the cage with the big tigers, it's almost as though they are putting their trust in the owners that nothing will happen, which you can do in Western countries, but not, as those of us who live here, in Thailand!

I am amazed at how many people go in with the tigers and think if you do x,y,z as you are told you will be OK.

They are wild animals and any animals are unpredictable. Even if you take care of an animal day by day, they all have their off days and no animal is totally predictable.

I read part of the news article and she needed 54 stitches to her leg, sounded like the bite severed a major artery and she made a lucky escape.

Yeah unfortunately, I was actually at Tiger Kingdom when the whole thing went down. The woman didn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary and the tiger who bit her was just too playful. When we visited it just minutes before it had to be separated from another tiger because it was playing too much. The whole thing was really terrible to see, I felt so bad for the family consisting of younger children too. Oddly enough, after it happened nothing appeared to be done right away and the reaction time of the staff was really slow. I think it's great they don't sedate the tigers but I'm definitely not going in that cage with them again.

It's in the paper today, I understand. A farang lady was injured and needed about 50 stitches. The place has always been at the centre of the do they/don't they sedate them controversy and this looks likely to reawaken the debate about the advisability of cuddling potentially lethal wild animals as part of a tourist attraction. What struck me is the way the obvious commercial nature of the place is at odds with it supposedly being run by a bunch of monks who's spirituality keeps the animals docile enough to pet.

Sorry about that. I obviously got the background of this outfit mixed up with the original, but you can bet your life that seeing all those visitors and/or cash go to a temple made this lot decide to open a me-too joint. Maybe the docility techniques up here weren't on the same spiritual plane. At least the lady in question seems to have not been injured as seriously as could have easily been the case.

My only visit was recently when we called in after the CM Toy Ride. As someone said, you can see a certain amount from the public walkways and I took these pictures while my wife was off answering a call of nature.

The two visitors were petting the nether regions of this very large animal while a photographer (you can just see his arm next to the attendant with the blue shirt) snapped away.

462105697_oxTx5-L.jpg

The tiger gave an alarming growl and swung its head around (as one might given a couple of people leaning on your bum without so much as a by your leave) and both visitors pulled back sharply. I didn't quite catch that moment and here they look a lot more composed that at the time of the growl. The attendant seemed only to be carrying a stick of some kind but certainly nothing as reassuringly defensive as I would want to hand.

462105744_uBzpw-L.jpg

Anyway, despite the protests of my stepson we didn't go in and it remains a place that I'll get pestered about. Maybe this incident will instil a little healthy caution and respect for the big cats in my family.

When we visited it just minutes before it had to be separated from another tiger because it was playing too much.

Playing too much? Couldn't that have been stress behavior?

And why do they allow people to go in with a tiger that just showed improper behavior? When an animal 'plays too much' it doesn't come across to me as a very relaxed animal at that moment.

I get often dogs in that play too much or too rough. These are usually dogs that are under-exercised (and/or under-socialized) and under chronic stress because of it. Can't this be the case with these tigers as well, especially considering that they need very large area's to be able to properly physically AND mentally exercise?

If a tiger THAT BIG growled at me,i would be out of there so fast.........The way i see it is if the beast was kind enough to warn me BEFORE attacking me,it would be well noted... :o Poor girl payed a nasty price for the photo of a lifetime...Hope she is ok and has no permanent injuries.

When we visited it just minutes before it had to be separated from another tiger because it was playing too much.

Playing too much? Couldn't that have been stress behavior?

And why do they allow people to go in with a tiger that just showed improper behavior? When an animal 'plays too much' it doesn't come across to me as a very relaxed animal at that moment.

I get often dogs in that play too much or too rough. These are usually dogs that are under-exercised (and/or under-socialized) and under chronic stress because of it. Can't this be the case with these tigers as well, especially considering that they need very large area's to be able to properly physically AND mentally exercise?

Yes

But the main point is that these are wild not domesticated animals. Visitors should not be allowed in their cages. Having spoken to a keeper he said they are not sedated and all are under 2 years of age.

I hope the Australian (?) lady has made a good recovery having read the newspaper article which showed her picture alying with the tiger and of her in a hospital bed.

Terribly sorry to hear this I hope the lady in question makes a full recovery.

Apparently the tiger in question was 14 months old. Madness that a wild cat of this age should be allowed close to the public. I have a book written by a guy who hunted tigers in 1860's India. He often took wild cubs after they had shot the mother (oh the ignorance of those times!) The cubs were allowed around the house just like domestic cats but he was very clear that when they got to one year they had to go to zoos or be sold into private collections as they became dangerous and unpredictable, no matter how tame or docile they appeared to be. A tourist with a 14 month tiger was a patently dangerous situation.

There you go =...14 months old ...that's a baby ....and babies (feline ones that is ) like to play ....and if as Puwa is saying she had something dangling from her clothing or something else like dangling jewlry ....then YEAHHHHH!! Of course the cub is going to go for it and wanna play ,.....Anybody out there have cats...? They're a little smaller :D but same character...luv to play with anything that dangles (Watch out for cats you guys who don't have any yet :o .....or you may lose some important plumbing :D )

First of all visitors should not be allowed in with anything that can prompt the baby tiger or any tiger to play with, let it be a scarf , or jewelry or a key chain hanging on their belt etc...etc.. comon sense as any type of cat loves to leap and attack anything that moves and shines ...I have cats and even at 18 months and even as adults, they still go for anything that dangles and attack me if I'm wearing a scarf or any other thing that they can jump up at and try to tear to shreds and even climb up my legs and it hurts and yup.... there are scratches ...but as I said they are smaller than tigers so I have never needed stitches ...but the reality is they love to play rough and the owners should be aware of that and also not let visitors go in alone but wth them to guide them and prevent these type of things happening ..... I've never been there so I don't really know if the owners go in with the visitors or not ,...but THEY SHOULD and make sure visitors don't have or wear anything to attrack these playful little guys ....for sure this was not a vicious attack but only they're way of playing cause if it would have been a vicious attack she probable would be in intensive care struggling for her life .....

But the main point is that these are wild not domesticated animals. Visitors should not be allowed in their cages. Having spoken to a keeper he said they are not sedated and all are under 2 years of age.

No dinthailand, my main point was stress behavior.

So worse, letting people in an enclosure with a stressed wild animal with BIG teeth and BIG claws.

Sorry about that. I obviously got the background of this outfit mixed up with the original, but you can bet your life that seeing all those visitors and/or cash go to a temple made this lot decide to open a me-too joint. Maybe the docility techniques up here weren't on the same spiritual plane. At least the lady in question seems to have not been injured as seriously as could have easily been the case.

My only visit was recently when we called in after the CM Toy Ride. As someone said, you can see a certain amount from the public walkways and I took these pictures while my wife was off answering a call of nature.

The two visitors were petting the nether regions of this very large animal while a photographer (you can just see his arm next to the attendant with the blue shirt) snapped away.

462105697_oxTx5-L.jpg

The tiger gave an alarming growl and swung its head around (as one might given a couple of people leaning on your bum without so much as a by your leave) and both visitors pulled back sharply. I didn't quite catch that moment and here they look a lot more composed that at the time of the growl. The attendant seemed only to be carrying a stick of some kind but certainly nothing as reassuringly defensive as I would want to hand.

462105744_uBzpw-L.jpg

Anyway, despite the protests of my stepson we didn't go in and it remains a place that I'll get pestered about. Maybe this incident will instil a little healthy caution and respect for the big cats in my family.

Cats......cats....cats ....Different nature and attitude from dogs .....Of course it growled ...cats are not dogs who love to be petted in general and get all the attention..Cats are independant and like to be petted BUT in their own time and space and don't like to be overwhelmed and surrounded by too many people. They like their space and will come to you if they want affection ...otherwise don't go near them ...as I said even my little terrors will turn around and latch onto my arm when they are fed up of being petted or just decide that the petting thing is now a game and let's play .....so I then have a cat attched around my arm/ hand and leave with a few scratches and mild bites ....

On a lighter tone =

How To Give A Cat A Pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the dam_n cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hel_l and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air.

Sometimes I wonder whether some people live in some sort of virtual world/ reality show existence , maybe because of this they decide to go inside a cage with a tiger.

For goodness sake tigers come above humans in the food chain. You are likely to become dinner or a very bloodied plaything.

No dinthailand, my main point was stress behavior.

So worse, letting people in an enclosure with a stressed wild animal with BIG teeth and BIG claws.

i know that was your main point. which is why i said yes.

you are still blinkerring on the stress side. these are wild animals - stressed or not they are dangerous at any age.

if you had replied letting people in an enclosure with a wild animal then it might have been a helpful comment to stop people doingb this in future.

the lady is ok but if she had died this thread would have been a litle more serious i think.

Sometimes I wonder whether some people live in some sort of virtual world/ reality show existence , maybe because of this they decide to go inside a cage with a tiger.

For goodness sake tigers come above humans in the food chain. You are likely to become dinner or a very bloodied plaything.

exactly. some people never seem to get their brain in gear.

462105697_oxTx5-L.jpg

462105744_uBzpw-L.jpg

Anyone who gets in a cage with a cat this size is in need of a long spell in Suan Prung :o

Indeed.

Every person going in there with a tiger has taken leave of their senses. They have switched their brain off because they place their trust in 'experts'. Apparently sane people seem to tinker with insanity at times. Fancy going into the same area as a tiger!!! Absolute madness.

Tigers aren't stupid and I bet they are learning by good old reinforcement. Be nasty to tourist and tourist will go away and leave me alone. After all who wants to be bothered by some sweaty tourist grabbing you and going "coochy coo" on a hot afternoon.