Missing Daughter

palusa

My adopted daughter went missing during the night a couple of months ago, she met someone through a chat line on the net and completely changed personality and one night she just disapeared, she took every photo of herself, deleted all the fotos on my laptop and downloaded a virus that destroyed my Home PC so there was no way of tracking who she was talking to. This action was totaly out of character and i suspect strongly that these actions were done under instruction from the person she was chatting to.

On January 4th she phoned me and asked if she could come home, i told her absolutelly, no problem, she told me she would be home in 2 days, i could tell in her voice something was very wrong, on the 5th she phoned again crying saying she was in an accident, i could hear someone prompting her as to what to say, anyway, from that day to this she has completely disapeared. her phone is switched off all the time, i recieved my house telephone bill and she had been calling a particular number but this number has been discontinued, i strongly suspect it was the same guy from the chat room.

Now I want to know from anyone what can i possibly do to find her, the police are not in the least interested. I dont know where to go, i am very worried about her as although she is 20 years old she has the mind of a child and looks about 14 years old. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. I want my daughter home, I dont care what she has done I want her home and safe

I can understad your worries. It sounds like a serious situation and unfortunately your dauther is no longer a minor.

What you can do is ask for organisations/ngo's related with woman trafficking for advise. Some have good relations with the police and might be able to direct you in the right way. Another method is searching the internet for more clues about here. You might get a lucky. The person she is with will have left traces in the chatroom too.

Good luck.

I can understad your worries. It sounds like a serious situation and unfortunately your dauther is no longer a minor.

What you can do is ask for organisations/ngo's related with woman trafficking for advise. Some have good relations with the police and might be able to direct you in the right way. Another method is searching the internet for more clues about here. You might get a lucky. The person she is with will have left races in the chatroom too.

Good luck.

Thank you, do you know off hand any NGO'S so i can start to at least try to find her. I went to a PC expert but the hard drive was absolutely destroyed. to the other forum member who replied, i went to a detective police man i know and although he personally was sympathetic, he told me there was absolutely no starting point from which to work. I used to see her on the chat room but i have no idea which chat room it was as it was all in Thai. Yes i do have some photos of her that she forgot on my sons pen drive. Thank you for your help its much appreciated guys

It will cost but a good private investigator(not associated with the police)and i imagine dangerous work too,but i think a good bet apart from the NGO's,you must be "going spare" at the moment.I dont know what else to suggest.

Once again thank you. I will try to find out about a detective, unfortunatley my ex-wife turned up last year after 6 years apart and took every baht in the bank or she would take my children, so i am not rich guy, if i get anywhere with contacting the detective i will do it, i can sell my (old) car if thats what it takes

I went to a PC expert but the hard drive was absolutely destroyed.

Sorry to hear your sad story.

I'm no computer expert (as i'm assuming neither was your daughter), but i'm very surprised to hear that your hard drive was completely destroyed, particularly as it was seemingly done remotely. As i understand it, completely destroying and wiping off all retrieval data from a hard drive is not actually that easily done.

Perhaps you might consider a second opinion?

I went to a PC expert but the hard drive was absolutely destroyed.

Sorry to hear your sad story.

I'm no computer expert (as i'm assuming neither was your daughter), but i'm very surprised to hear that your hard drive was completely destroyed, particularly as it was seemingly done remotely. As i understand it, completely destroying and wiping off all retrieval data from a hard drive is not actually that easily done.

Perhaps you might consider a second opinion?

Perhaps your right, but i will try again with another shop but unfortunately the last shop wiped my drive and reinstalled windows again but as you say you never know. I do not think it was done remotely i think she was told what to do because of all the systematic things that she carried out, she was definitely NOT capable of thinking about and executing all the events that subsequently happened. I am going now again to the Police and try to get them to do something.

My god palusa now you say your ex wife returned and took your money as well as your step daughter has gone missing,this is very very sad.

Dont worry about that because i won, i got my kids and her signing a paper with a lawyer saying the kids are mine and she has no further claim to them after excepting the money. I do not have a second thought on that score i was definitely the winner

What you can do is ask for organisations/ngo's related with woman trafficking for advise. Some have good relations with the police and might be able to direct you in the right way. Another method is searching the internet for more clues about here. You might get a lucky. The person she is with will have left traces in the chatroom too.

Good luck.

Mario, do you think you can bring this danger with the chat rooms to attention of all members, my daughter was a very very quiet and shy girl with only 4 months to go at college, if the people who prey on young girls can twist her they can get anyone. I do not want anyone else to feel like i do now. Funny thing is i knew about this problem but never thought it would happen to us as my daughter was so loyal and quiet. I once again reiterate if it happened to my girl non of your families are safe and that an uncomfortable but certain fact.

Was your son close to his sister. Does he know anything. What about her friends at school or work ?

She has not contacted my sons or her school freinds including her blood sister and her best freind who she adored, she used to have a part time job in a restaurant, i was there last night and no one has heard from her. She was crazy about computers and always on line, i have sent email after email to her 2 addresses but nothing, she has never signed in on messenger, i have my computer on 24 hours a day just in case.

The first NGO that comes to mind is ECPAT

http://www.ecpat.net/EI/index.asp

328/1 Phayathai Road. Rachathewi , Bangkok , Thailand 10400

Telephone: +662 215 3388 | Fax : +662 215 8272

They might be able to give you more information and will know other NGO's in this field. If they can't help; let me know and I will look for some other NGO's.

I can not do more to warn parrents and children then what you already did with your post. Internet is not a safe place and there are many predators.

One other thing I can think of if asking your embassy for help. They might be able to put some pressure on the police.

There is no such thing as a hard drive which is absolutely destroyed, unless it has been soaked in strong acid. I apologise for not having the info to hand but take it to a real expert and for a few hundred dollars it can be shipped to have most if not all of the data recovered within a few days and shipped back, some centres even analyse and search the data for whatever it is you are needing.

I have no further info on this to help you but wish you the best.

Another thought, as a 20 year old student, she most likely has a bank account and ATM card/Credit Card. If you know her bank, it may be fruitful to try to get a record of her transactions since she has been missing. you might find a pattern in those. I know she is not a minor etc, but in these circumstances i would hope the bank would be sympathetic and attempt to assist you

A very sad series of events. I wish you a rapid return of your daughter and my sincere best wishes.

Regarding hard drive recovery. There is a board member here at TV, "Cyberstar" who specializes in such work. You may wish to PM him

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cyberstar-m35929.html

http://www.cyberstarasia.com/house/

Agree, computer forensic guys ar adept at getting out information from hard drives, and following other cyber trails.

Good luck to the OP.

While there is a rule that missing person's threads are not allowed I think that as long as the OP does not reveal personal details but merely asks for and receives advice about the proper channels and authorities to go through, I see no reason to close this thread in line with that rule.

While there is a rule that missing person's threads are not allowed I think that as long as the OP does not reveal personal details but merely asks for and receives advice about the proper channels and authorities to go through, I see no reason to close this thread in line with that rule.

Thank you guys so very much, i wish i had the cash to get the drive to an expert but unfortunately i dont but the advice was very gratefully recieved, I also thank SBK for allowing the thread, sorry i did not know about the missing person rule. I have just spent the last 2 hours with the police and it was a complete waste of time. I asked about detectives and they came out of the wood work in droves when i mentioned paying but after a while they all drifted away because i could give them no leads. I found 1 lead since i started asking you guys for help (If you can call it that) the phone calls my daughter made were all recieved in Bangkok, they are according to my bill made to MB BKK area, does anyone know this area?

Thank you very much

Another thought, as a 20 year old student, she most likely has a bank account and ATM card/Credit Card. If you know her bank, it may be fruitful to try to get a record of her transactions since she has been missing. you might find a pattern in those. I know she is not a minor etc, but in these circumstances i would hope the bank would be sympathetic and attempt to assist you

Another good idea but again unfortunately she had no account, she is very timid and would never go to a bank with all the forms and people. BUT, one thing i did do was i sent her some money to get home and i sent it through my bank to a woman she said she knew, i only sent her 500 baht so she could get the bus home as i was suspicious at the time, tomorrow i will go to the bank and ask if it is possible to narrow the area down as to where the account is situated.

The person prompting her was Thai and male

I will call the Embassy for advice tomorrow but she is only a Thai National

I will also try Mr Cyberspace

Thank you

If it was a legal adoption she might have also your nationality as a result. That would depend on the law of your own country. In most cases it would not be the case, but it might be. Anyway, your embassy will have some knowledge about tracing a person.

The phone records should be traceable to the person it was registered to from her mobile number as well your phone records when she called you, also you may have some luck from when you sent the 500 baht to bank, most money exchange places will have video survielence,

hope for her safe and timely return

Was your son close to his sister. Does he know anything. What about her friends at school or work ?

She has not contacted my sons or her school freinds including her blood sister and her best freind who she adored, she used to have a part time job in a restaurant, i was there last night and no one has heard from her. She was crazy about computers and always on line, i have sent email after email to her 2 addresses but nothing, she has never signed in on messenger, i have my computer on 24 hours a day just in case.

if you have her email adress some one should be able to assist you in accesing her account, i doubt very much she has not been using it, if she hasnt you may at least be able to get a hint to whom shes was talking to,,, press her friends, if shes been in conact with you, she has spoken to one of her friends...... I feel for you, my little brother pulled a vanishing act a few years back, we found him through phone cards,and credit cards transactions. Same story no one had heard from him, but in reality a few of his close friends knew where he was all along....kids can be sneaky

20 years old and deemed an adult. You have no legal right to access any information on her from a bank, phone company or any other entity without a proper court order. In order to obtain that, you will have to establish that there is foul play or mental illness implicated. Without revealing details here, if you believe that she was ill, then you can move things along faster.

I don't know if you have access to resources that can help you but here is a link. It is American but it provides some tips and suggestions that may help you in our search, no matter the age of the missing person or where it happened. http://www.missingkids.com

click on the If your child is missing

You may find this US Department of Justice publication helpful for the tips and advice it gives that are applicable to any missing persons case. It is a survival guide. It has links to the International clearing houses.

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/publications/fam_surv.pdf

It's worth a read for other parents too if you want refresh your childproofing skills.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Edited by geriatrickid

Do you have any idea what her online screen name was, does she have a nickname she may have used. Try Googling it and the chatroom site she used may come up. What about email accounts, passwords are not normally that hard to break through if you know a lot about the person

Good luck with yuor search

20 years old and deemed an adult. You have no legal right to access any information on her from a bank, phone company or any other entity without a proper court order. In order to obtain that, you will have to establish that there is foul play or mental illness implicated. Without revealing details here, if you believe that she was ill, then you can move things along faster.

I don't know if you have access to resources that can help you but here is a link. It is American but it provides some tips and suggestions that may help you in our search, no matter the age of the missing person or where it happened. http://www.missingkids.com

click on the If your child is missing

You may find this US Department of Justice publication helpful for the tips and advice it gives that are applicable to any missing persons case. It is a survival guide. It has links to the International clearing houses.

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/publications/fam_surv.pdf

It's worth a read for other parents too if you want refresh your childproofing skills.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I have just had a conversation with ECPAT and they told me much the same, seems that not a lot of help can be given by the authorities because she is 20 years old. It doesnt matter that she has the mind of a child, if any of you guys saw her she honestly looks about 13 or 14 years old. Anyway ECPAT are going to help as much as they can through their contacts, i am going to send them a report this afternoon. I also have an appointment with my daughters Head of College, all the staff and pupils are very kind and helpful but non of the people there have heard from her, they know how much i worry so i dont think they are sheilding her in anyway because they dont have to, i dont care where she has been or what she has done, i want her home safe then i will deal with what ever happened. My ex wife by the way had nothing to do with my daughter at all but thanks for the idea.I will try to get her on line name from her freinds, thats a goods idea and worth a try. I know some people out there maybe think she has gone off with a boyfreind but if you knew her, you would understand she hardly left the house without daddy and her brothers, she was just a scared little girl, i dont know how this happened, it doesnt make sense