Suanphlu Immigration Office May Close In April

I have a source that tells me that the Suanphlu Immigration Office in Bangkok will be closing this year, perhaps as early as April. The operation will be moved to Chaeng Wattana near Don Mueang Airport.

I'm told the deal is done. The reason that it is not being publicized is to avoid confrontation with foreigners. You know how we do not adapt to change very well.

Please do not kill the messenger. Maybe someone can verify this information through their contacts.

I won't shoot the messenger.

But perhaps the reason is not confrontation but confusion. I am sure if they announced it today it would not be long before you had people showing up at the new location because word of mouth dropped off the info that it was not happening until April.

I read about it 6 months or more ago, sadly it will not be open for my retirement extension next month as would be much easier for me to drive there.

My hope is that when it moves there will be better/more parking.

This location is convenient to no one. DM is closing for good so there is no reason to go to that area. There are no farang out there so its a 200 baht taxi ride each way. Thia Imm did the same thing in Phuket, close the office in Patong(where all of the tourist are) and moved it to Saphan Hin( where no tourist are). Why can't they have an office near the sky train or subway? Or keep the one in Patong open?

There are no farang out there

How did you come by that statement?

There are simply 1000's that would find Don Mueang area easier to get to than Suanphlu,

I could get there in just over 1 hour, therefore saving about 40mins. and from where I live to Don Mueang there are many 100's of farang living... I would say more live on the North side of BKK than on the south side.

This location is convenient to no one. DM is closing for good so there is no reason to go to that area. There are no farang out there so its a 200 baht taxi ride each way. Thia Imm did the same thing in Phuket, close the office in Patong(where all of the tourist are) and moved it to Saphan Hin( where no tourist are). Why can't they have an office near the sky train or subway? Or keep the one in Patong open?

interesting quote from a newbie with a massive six posts to his name.

For the record there are a number of expats living in this area, I for one live on an upmarket Mooban just off Chaeng Wattana and I have witnessed the build of what is being described as the "Centralised Government Offices Area".

Forget the fact that I live close, but to me this area is the ideal for such offices. Vast open spaces very modern new buildings going up and I am sure there will be ample car parking.

Already in the vicinity is the DFA (which many farangs have to visit ) the CSI unit and Courts etc all now operating.

I read about it 6 months or more ago, sadly it will not be open for my retirement extension next month as would be much easier for me to drive there.
This location is convenient to no one. DM is closing for good so there is no reason to go to that area. There are no farang out there so its a 200 baht taxi ride each way.

:o

Speak for yourself, Mr "I pay 4 times the odds for the right to live on Sathorn farang ghetto" pmcd8243. There are many, many foreigners living on Chaeng Watthana. In fact some of the best-paid expats have sprawling compounds surrounded by 10-feet walls in the exclusive moo bahns off Chaeng Watthana.

Edited by Briggsy

• I read about it 6 months or more ago, sadly it will not be open for my retirement extension next month as would be much easier for me to drive there.
    My hope is that when it moves there will be better/more parking.
    Totally agree with you. Re- easier to drive and hopefully more car parking!!

:o:D:D

From the newbie,

My complaint is that these offices are no where near public transport. It may be closer to the farangs living north of Bangkok but it is remote to anyone else. I forgot to note the Thai Imm is not offering re-entry permits at the new airport now? Does this mean someone leaving from the new airport has to go the new imm office near DM? In Phuket the office on the beach rode was convenient to everyone, now you must take a Tuk Tuk or drive over to Phuket Town. I only wish it was easier for all. As for being a "newbie" I am coming up on 10 years in Thailand and 5 years on Thai Visa. I only post when I have something of value to say. I used to do may drinking at Buckskin Joe's.

Speak for yourself, Mr "I pay 4 times the odds for the right to live on Sathorn farang ghetto" pmcd8243. There are many, many foreigners living on Chaeng Watthana. In fact some of the best-paid expats have sprawling compounds surrounded by 10-feet walls in the exclusive moo bahns off Chaeng Watthana.

Briggsy there was no need to embarrass me by releasing such new as us Chaeng Wattana dwellers :D:o

Suan Phlu is/was neither on the skytrain or underground. You have to catch a taxi or a songthaew and sit in horrendous traffic on Sathorn and Soi Suan Phlu for a while. You might find, even if based in town, Chaeng Watthana is no more inconvenient in terms of time, particularly when you consider the 2 expressways. Admittedly though there will be a cost increase as you'll probably need to catch a taxi, say 200 Baht each way versus say, 80 Baht each way to Suan Phlu. An extra expense of 240 Baht if based in town. Alternatively you can catch expressway buses and rot dtoos to Chaeng Watthana which are often just as fast and less expensive than the underground to the top of Sathorn.

Government offices have never been placed with the public in mind. It's the transport infrastructure which catches up when it realises where the public want to go to. Unfortunately with Suan Phlu, it's so heavily congested that it is a nightmare to get to and the price of land in the area would always be an incentive to relocate a government office to the outskirts of the city.

Chaeng Watthana is a good choice. Nong Jork or Samut Sakhorn would be unwise.