I Was Cheated In Bangkok Airport

liberiosyah

On 31 december i arrived from Singapore to Bangkok international airport,After going through the immigration and custom's i went to the currency exchange to exchange a couple of foreign currency...

My last transaction was a Singapore dollar...I gave the Exchange Cleark Singapore $270 in $50= 5 notes and $10+2 notes

After Printing out the the receipt it pointed out that i gave him Singapore $170..When i told him that i gave him $270 he keep on telling me that i gave him only $170...I had and arguement with him until i had to called over my contact which is an officer in the Airport Authority to backed me up...

When i requested the Exhange cleark to show me the footage of the recorded CCTV camera he Shouted at us saying ...NO!!No!! No camera you GO! Go away and throw the money to me...

We had to called upon the Police and went to make a statement in the police Station...We made a police report and i acccused that man of cheating me ...But Police told me to make a complaint to the Bank Head Office..As the Police can't Do anything about this matter as the Exchange counted CCTV was not in working condition....I will be meeting the Bank Incharge this wenesday..Well just wanna know what happen if the Bank refuse to give back my money...

during the incident the exchange cleark says that he check the account in the counter and its all balance...

Offcource hthe money in his counter was balance because he put the $100 dollar in some other places....

I realy need hep in this...Coz the Exchange counter cant show me the video footage because it was not workingg..Can i sue them in Court ????

I just wants to know the thruts and Justicer to be taken seriously...my mood was really turn off by this incident...

please do email me at

[email protected]

JOE

I've had the same problem with them, but he owned up to it at least. You have to verbally count out the money to them, not hand it over all at once. That makes it harder for these idiots to argue with you.

Best of luck with the bank.

cv

Yes i did count the money in front of him and that i spread the money oon the counter and handed it over to the cleark...i know how much i gave him,...but he refuse....When i confronted him in the police he kept qiet..The Airport authorities also Question him about the CCTV camera ...his manager says that its been Not working a long time....Well they even cant show me the evidence that i needed....

I was pure cheating coz i think they have done this kind of work a long time..and that i think they must have edit the bank balace at the end of the day to be able to cheat their own bank.....

IT was Pure Cheating...the exchange cleark was simple cheating..he tauge i was a tourist and that he could cheat....The police cant even interogate him or do q Separetely Questioning..I was really mad at the Police officer for not attending the Case step by step..They just says that it cant be done anything...Well just wish me luck this wenesday for meeting the Bank People....

Well can i sue the Bank in court for their CCTV camera Not working ???

Well can i sue the Bank in court for their CCTV camera Not working ???

No, unless you can find a legal (not moral) requirement for them to do so. If you go into the meeting threatening to sue you can expect to get nothing. But if its the principle you are fighting for, by all means show up with a lawyer. Let him/her do the talking.

cv

.... it is the principle, isn't it?

It certainly is! How about this for a scam...

I filled up the pick-up at a filling station on the way to Krabi. The girl stopped pumping at 678 baht. I thought it was a funny amount to stop at, normally they go to the nearest 10 baht. As usual I asked for a receipt. I had to wait ages for the receipt and change from a 1,000 baht note. My g/f went to the shop while I was waiting. I waited at least 5 minutes and sat in the car listening to my CD.

When another car pulled up at the other side of the pump, the girl came with my change and receipt. I noticed straight away it was wrong - she gave me change for 780 baht, not 678 baht. So I said it was wrong, and pointed at the meter and before I could stop her she went over to the pump, lifted the handle to reset the meter to zero and then came back and asked what was wrong. ****ing clever! I had no evidence of how much she'd actually pumped so I told her what I thought of her and left.

Must admit it was an excellent scam - especially waiting until another car wanted to use the same pump so she could "legitimately" reset it to zero.

Southern Thais - jai dum mak maak!

I had no evidence of how much she'd actually pumped so I told her what I thought of her and left.

Must admit it was an excellent scam - especially waiting until another car wanted to use the same pump so she could "legitimately" reset it to zero.

Actually, you can scroll back over all transactions on either the control board or the register if its controled from there. Next time go inside and demand that it be done. These things can't be tampered with by just any pump wench.

cv

.... it is the principle, isn't it?

It certainly is! How about this for a scam...

I filled up the pick-up at a filling station on the way to Krabi. The girl stopped pumping at 678 baht. I thought it was a funny amount to stop at, normally they go to the nearest 10 baht. As usual I asked for a receipt. I had to wait ages for the receipt and change from a 1,000 baht note. My g/f went to the shop while I was waiting. I waited at least 5 minutes and sat in the car listening to my CD.

When another car pulled up at the other side of the pump, the girl came with my change and receipt. I noticed straight away it was wrong - she gave me change for 780 baht, not 678 baht. So I said it was wrong, and pointed at the meter and before I could stop her she went over to the pump, lifted the handle to reset the meter to zero and then came back and asked what was wrong. ****ing clever! I had no evidence of how much she'd actually pumped so I told her what I thought of her and left.

SCUM.

I was changing Malaysia Ringgit,Brunei Dollars and Singapore Dollars.....

Welll i gave the exchange cleark step by step....When Question in the police station..He admit that he do things all quickly and fast as there was alot of customer..When i chage these 3 currency to Thai baht, I slowly count the money slowly just for confirmation but he insisted that i count it fast and shouted at me in Thai...to move away from his counter and count it else where..That is where i discover he cheated me....and he cant even produce the Video Footage and shouted at me for me to leave the area..Until i had to call a friend who is a High ranking office with the Airport authorities and a Fried of mine who is working in the very same bank Krung Thai bank ...Who is also a High Ranking Oficer...He was so furious with the Cleark and the Airport Exhcange for their CCTV not workiing...

As we will have a meeting with the Bank official about this matter...

I am really worried to other foreighner ..They might also get cheated in this very same manner...I am lucky coz i have been ligin in this country for 3 years and that i have contact ...But what happen to other tourist and foreigner which doesnt have anybody here???

We have to Do something..$100 is nothing to me i just wants the bank to be responsible for the bad attitude of the bank cleark and also their mishanndle of my money..and for every 1 information the receipet that the cleark handed to me for my signature was not perfectly torn..the time and date of the transaction ont the date was even purposely torn.,,,I was an ex Police officer with the Special operation command in Singapore so i know alot of scam about this...There is alot of Question that the Cleark cant Answer when i question him..So this is a good point to Bring him dwn in Krung Thai Bank Head office.....

Jai dum means black heart literally. mak maak means a lot.

It means that that person has no good intentions, will try to hurt u, has no place in his heart for things like compassion. That's as close as I get, I find these expressions quite difficult to translate. :o Anyone else wanna have a go?

On a nother note, on my last visit to LOS I went to one of those booths to exchange some Euro's for THB. And I don't know what happened but the clerck gave us the exchange rate for Pounds. Nice little profit. Maybe a little bit jai dum of me? :o

Edited by els17

Why attempt to change three currencys at one time in an overcrowded area....you would have been better off to draw from your account at the airport from the ATM or with your CC and passport at the exchange. Leave the odd bills until you can get to a less crowded area where both you and the Clerk would have more time.

I was an ex Police officer with the Special operation command in Singapore so i know alot of scam about this...There is alot of Question that the Cleark cant Answer when i question him..So this is a good point to Bring him dwn in Krung Thai Bank Head office.....

Seems like the clerk picked the wrong guy to rip off.

Go ahead and nail the bastard if you can, if you dont do anything he will continue to rip people.

Good luck with the meeting with the bank.

Why attempt to change three currencys at one time in an overcrowded area....you would have been better off to draw from your account at the airport from the ATM or with your CC and passport at the exchange. Leave the odd bills until you can get to a less crowded area where both you and the Clerk would have more time.

Good suggestion gburns57au... I have been doing exactly this for years of international travelling within Asia. Use your ATM card to get local currency, then change what you need at either a bank or an exchange where the environment is a little more "normal".

No help for Mr liberiosyah though... good luck with the bank.

I was changing Malaysia Ringgit,Brunei Dollars and Singapore Dollars.....

I thought that it was illegal to exchange Malaysia ringgit outside of Malaysia? Has that changed or was I misinformed?

I think you're misinformed! I know they change them at BKK airport. though only 50 and 100 notes. i think?

Yes i did count the money in front of him and that i spread the money oon the counter and handed it over to the cleark...i know how much i gave him,...but he refuse....When i confronted him in the police he kept qiet..The Airport authorities also Question him about the CCTV camera ...his manager says that its been Not working a long time....Well they even cant show me the evidence that i needed....

I was pure cheating coz i think they have done this kind of work a long time..and that i think they must have edit the bank balace at the end of the day to be able to cheat their own bank.....

Dont give up and keep on tracking. Try to do that you can see the CCTV. Inform them you will post to the newspaper if they wont give your money back. Tell them you shall inform the chef of that bank. Can you remember which bank ?

Warning tourist ! Next time dont change too much and counting each Note for his face. You can change the money anywhere , dont exchange too much at the airport. Or you go to Thai Bank, overthere and telling them the amount first.

Or try to go there again and try to make his pix...then post on newspaper..

We should try to get rid of those bastard guy.

Good luck ! :o

Dont give up and keep on tracking. Try to do that you can see the CCTV. Inform them you will post to the newspaper if they wont give your money back. Tell them you shall inform the chef of that bank. Can you remember which bank ?

Warning tourist ! Next time dont change too much and counting each Note for his face. You can change the money anywhere , dont exchange too much at the airport. Or you go to Thai Bank, overthere and telling them the amount first.

Or try to go there again and try to make his pix...then post on newspaper..

We should try to get rid of those bastard guy.

Good luck ! :o

Good plan.

But chef of the bank?

Make his pix?

counting each note for his face?

Joking with ya. I do agree with you. Bad publicity would not be good.

In my opinion, the best money exchange booth in the airport is the Thai Military Bank booth you pass BEFORE you go through immigration. It is a fairly quiet area and totally different in environment compared to the "open to the public" booths downstairs - plus at this point in your trip you don't have to watch your luggage closely as you are also exchanging money.

And as someone else mentioned, you can do very well in Thailand with your ATM card as they are on the global networks. So well in fact that you really only need the exchange booth on your first trip in. After that you plan to take out enough when you leave to get you started on the next trip into Thailand.

However, I say that in the context of not traveling all over to many different countries. So, I am not dealing with a lot of different currencies and my trips are always planned far in advance. The whirlwind world traveler would not want to deal with storing so many different currencies in anticipation of the next trip.

What you came up against is not unique to currency exchange booths. Expect the same at the BTS Sky Train, the underground subway, the river taxi pier, etc. etc. Some people will try to mis-count your change or make a "mistake" in how much you gave them.

I really prefer it when the ATM gives me 500 baht bills - easier to deal with in most cases.

kenk3z

Expect the same at the BTS Sky Train, the underground subway, the river taxi pier, etc. etc.  Some people will try to mis-count your change or make a "mistake" in how much you gave them.

I really prefer it when the ATM gives me 500 baht bills - easier to deal with in most cases.

kenk3z

Never came across this problem there. Maybe just you ? I find the underground staff are pretty decent.