Non Imm Marriage - Devorced - About To Expire

Hi,

AUS citizen, mid 30's been here 10yrs.

Have 1 child (under 5) but divorced from mum last yr. - she lives with mum, but me on weekends.

Non-imm marriage Visa expires mid-Feb.

1. What happens on expiry date? Do they give me 7, 14, 30 ?? days to leave??

2. What are my options for coming back? (on a permanant basis).

3. Where to go for best results??

...2. What are my options for coming back? (on a permanant basis).

--

Maestro

It costs money to live anywhere, even in Thailand. If you work in Thailand, with a work permit, to earn your keep you can get annual extensions of stay for employment if your salary and your employer meet the requirements. If not, I cannot see any way for you to stay in Thailand on a permanent basis, the best option being a multiple-entry non-O visa, with which you will get permission to stay for 90 days at a time.

--

Maestro

Hi,

Have 1 child (under 5) but divorced from mum last yr. - she lives with mum, but me on weekends.

1. You could still try and get an extension under (5) as a single parent. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to live full time with the child. It will depend upon the immigration office you go to though.

Edit: It would help if you are on good terms with your ex wife and she was to to support your application. Plus proof of you supporting your child and the weekend stays with you (photos, letters from a 3rd party and etc.).

New police order see 2.18 (5) police_order_2008.pdf

If that fails you could still get a 60 day extension to visit your child. See 2.24 of police order.

2. If you cannot get the extension you could go to Penang or KL and get a multiple entry non-o.

3. For immigration Bangkok is most cooperative for giving extensions under (5) but you have to live in Bangkok. The other option is answered in 2 and you could add Perth to those 2 choices.

Hi,

Also, bear in mind that your marriage visa and extension should have been cancelled on the day you divorced, so they may hit you with an overstay charge for the number of days since the day of your divorce, if Immigration insists on cancelling your visa right away. (One option could be a quick border run and return on a 14 day stamp.) So they cannot simply extend your marriage visa for child support or any other reason. You will need a new visa in any case.

Best of luck to you.

Paul

Hi,AUS citizen, mid 30's been here 10yrs.

Also, bear in mind that your marriage visa and extension should have been cancelled on the day you divorced, so they may hit you with an overstay charge for the number of days since the day of your divorce, if Immigration insists on cancelling your visa right away. (One option could be a quick border run and return on a 14 day stamp.) So they cannot simply extend your marriage visa for child support or any other reason. You will need a new visa in any case.

Best of luck to you.

Paul

IMO he will not have a problem with immigration if goes there with all the documents needed to get an extension prior to the date his extension runs out.

If he is concerned about it the best advise would be to make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o to visit his child. Then get all the documents together and go to immigration and apply for a new extension under 2.18 (5).

Thanks for this guys.

Im up North. Do have good relationship with the ex, and she would be willing to come to assist, provide evidence.

So, from this I gather that I should go to immigration prior to visa expiry with:

1. current non-imm visa

2. proof (adoption certificate/birth cirtificat) that i am father of child

3. evidence of relationship - former marriage cert / divorce cert; and ex-wife to state my fatherhood activites??

4. birth cert proving age of child.

5. letter from bank showing monthly income of 40k and or term dep of 400k.

On the above grounds it would depend on the officer of the day and my performance??

And if this fails, I then go to Vientiene and apply for a 60 day (max) visitation visa? - and then try again??

Can anyone clarify how many days they 'should' give me if they refuse my initial submission??

Many many thanks.

Edited by SoloFlyer

Try this first, chance is that you will be refused a new extension. They probably want you to hold sole costudy ofe the child. But the rules have changed and you never know.

I'm not sure if I would go with your ex- or your devorce papers. They might come to the conclusion that you are on overstay and fine you (500 a day, with a maximum of 20,000) so make sure you have enough cash.

If it fails you can get an extension from immigration for 60 days. After that you can get a non-O based on visiting your child from Vientianne. Try a multiple!

Thanks for this guys.

Im up North. Do have good relationship with the ex, and she would be willing to come to assist, provide evidence.

So, from this I gather that I should go to immigration prior to visa expiry with:

1. current non-imm visa

2. proof (adoption certificate/birth cirtificat) that i am father of child

3. evidence of relationship - former marriage cert / divorce cert; and ex-wife to state my fatherhood activites??

4. birth cert proving age of child.

5. letter from bank showing monthly income of 40k and or term dep of 400k.

On the above grounds it would depend on the officer of the day and my performance??

And if this fails, I then go to Vientiene and apply for a 60 day (max) visitation visa? - and then try again??

Can anyone clarify how many days they 'should' give me if they refuse my initial submission??

Many many thanks.

If you can't get the 1 year extension you can get a 60 day extension to visit your child which is 2.24 of the police order.

If you don't want to chance having problems with immigration you could get a single entry non-o visa that would give you a 90 days. You can get this in Vientiane without any problem. And then apply for the new extension.

yeah, I'll think they'll get me on the overstay.

ubonjoe, on what basis would Vientienne give me a 90day single?

As mario said to visit your child.

You will need their birth certificate showing you as the father. A copy of your passport photo page and 2 photos.

After consultation with a guy who does visa's for a living, decided it was best just to get a 7 day extension (he called and checked that's all I could get without any questions asked...

So will try my luck in Phili next week, but that doesn't sound promising.

If they don't give me a 'visitation' visa there - is it possible to transit through BKK to vientienne without going through immigration?; ie to avoid a tourist stamp so that have non-imm consistently in passport?

After consultation with a guy who does visa's for a living, decided it was best just to get a 7 day extension (he called and checked that's all I could get without any questions asked...

So will try my luck in Phili next week, but that doesn't sound promising.

If they don't give me a 'visitation' visa there - is it possible to transit through BKK to vientienne without going through immigration?; ie to avoid a tourist stamp so that have non-imm consistently in passport?

As soon as your extension expires you have broken the continuous extension chain for a PR if that is what you are concerned about. Or for the grandfather clause also.

Just getting a non-o would not keep it going.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that Manila embassy gave me a full 90 day visa (expected 60 at most)

Had to write a letter explaining situation, and they asked for a copy of ticket back to Thailand... which meant a quick taxi ride to TG office ...

Collection five days later.

Thx again for the advice guys.

----------------

Now playing: Mark Knopfler - Postcards From Paraguay

via FoxyTunes

Edited by SoloFlyer