Obtain Driving License On Samui

P

You need the following:

Copies of passport and Visa (must be Non-O or Non-B )

Medical certificate.

Letter from Immigration with your permanent address, or copy of WP pages 1-6 and page with last stamp.

Copy of International driving license. (if you do not have this then you will need to take the tests)

Can also work with copy of both sides of western license.

If you intend to take license for both MC and car then you will need all of the above in two copies.

You will need to be at motor office 9 AM for color blind test, reaction test and split vision test.

You need to bring your motorbike/car, they do not have any to lend out.

Good luck :)

PS,

I'm going tomorrow to do my motorbike test (already have driving test)

I'm assuming the copies of the passport is just the information page, visa page, immigration card with stamp?

I've copied my 6 pages from my work permit and just got my medical certficiate (dr asks are you OK. yes. job done)

I was also told to take my Tabian Baan.

Do you think I should also get the letter from immigration? I'm worried I drive all the way over there for them to turn me down as I don't have this.

I'm sure I didn't need it when I did my car driving test, but that was over 2 years ago.

My friend also wants to do his. He spends a lot of time here on an APEC travel card, hence no non-o/b visa. Could he still do it?

Matt.

P
You need the following:

Copies of passport and Visa (must be Non-O or Non-B )

Medical certificate.

Letter from Immigration with your permanent address, or copy of WP pages 1-6 and page with last stamp.

Copy of International driving license. (if you do not have this then you will need to take the tests)

Can also work with copy of both sides of western license.

If you intend to take license for both MC and car then you will need all of the above in two copies.

You will need to be at motor office 9 AM for color blind test, reaction test and split vision test.

You need to bring your motorbike/car, they do not have any to lend out.

Good luck :)

PS,

I'm going tomorrow to do my motorbike test (already have driving test)

I'm assuming the copies of the passport is just the information page, visa page, immigration card with stamp?

I've copied my 6 pages from my work permit and just got my medical certficiate (dr asks are you OK. yes. job done)

I was also told to take my Tabian Baan.

Do you think I should also get the letter from immigration? I'm worried I drive all the way over there for them to turn me down as I don't have this.

I'm sure I didn't need it when I did my car driving test, but that was over 2 years ago.

My friend also wants to do his. He spends a lot of time here on an APEC travel card, hence no non-o/b visa. Could he still do it?

Matt.

Letter from immigration is needed, as it's confirmation of residential address.Driving test can not be tied to it I think, different test & need all the paper work again.

hi matt, letter from immigration is not needed neither the tabien baan.

the adress in the work permit will suffice as this is a document coming from the governement, it's used as proof of adress.

hi matt, letter from immigration is not needed neither the tabien baan.

the adress in the work permit will suffice as this is a document coming from the governement, it's used as proof of adress.

You might be correct, but remember the 3 months rule. No document can be older then 3 months.

don't worry about that, i'm often going there to register vehicules on my name, just an important thing is they want to see the page with the stamp saying the work permit is valid until ...

once i didn't have it, however they just registered the vehicule on my name without this paper(lucky me)

Guys (and Girls)

I am a retard of the highest nature... I failed. I failed my theory exam. Doh!

I was there at 9am, they took my work permit as proof of address, all documents were in order. Passed the morning tests (colour blind, depth of perception, reaction time, etc.)

I then spent an hour on the machine upstairs doing mock tests and actually got 30/30 after doing this multiple times. How could I not pass!?? (I thought...)

I got back at 1pm and failed the computer/theory test. I think I only got 12 questions correctly. The whole thing is retarded, or more than likely, I am.

I have to go back tomorrow to re-take it at 1pm. It's not the failure (well maybe the ego hurts a bit) but it's the time wasted in doing this. I'm a very busy guy and don't have time to spend (I lost more than half a day work today) on this.

I've bought the thai books and will study these with the missus tonight. I have to pass tomorrow, I can't waste any more work time! Has anyone tried slipping the lady in the test room 1,000B? :)

I passed on all the signs/etc. It's the stupid who has right of way at cross-roads, correct parking questions. Darn it.

NHJ - any more tips?!.... (the big old lady wasn't there today, just the nice one and the young helper)

Rant Over,

Matt.

NHJ - any more tips?!.... (the big old lady wasn't there today, just the nice one and the young helper)

Rant Over,

Matt.

hi matt, to be honest i went there 4 times , you need a score of 23 to succeed, i did 21, 22, 21 and then 28 some answers are really different to the driving law(from what i know).

1)like what is the minimum distance between cars, well there ain't minimum distance as you have to adapt it considering the speed you drive your car(kinda opposite to belgium where on the highway, three "stripes" are the minimum distance...)

2) you can drive a tank in warfare on public road, yes you can

3) you can't drive without a windshield

4) if you feel you'll have a heart attack or something like you to collapse, you're not allowed to use the vehicule

5) you can't give your vehicule to someone who can't operate it(friend without driving license)

6) you can't drive if you use mushroom, drugs or alcohol

7) you can also drive a formula one or any sport car on the road if you had the permission of the authority before(in europe no car without "conformity certificate can be on the road)

8)there's also something regarding the noise you can do with the horn, i remember something like 90Db to be either one of the choise or the good answer, suddenly it maked sense to me why so much cars are noisy :))

9) you can't operate a u-turn if you are at 150M or less of a bridge

10) you can operate u-turn only if it's clearely indicated, if not written on the floor or on banners, it's forbidden.

11) you have to use your blinker at least 30M before you turn

there are others but i don't remember them as it's been two years now...

matt were you able to print out your mistakes?

Thanks NHJ for the extra info. I asked her to print out my mistakes but she wouldn't. If I fail tomorrow I will use my phone to take a photo of the mistakes I made on the test.

It's a pain because I have my Thai Drivers License (5-year) and already did this test and past, but they want me to take it again. Mae Pen Rye - T.I.T.

NHJ - I will print your list to take with me tomorrow.

One of the funniest questions has to be the one about feeling tired and what you should do... one of the answers is "take an amphetamine pill" (I didn't answer that by the way)

If I fail tomorrow, I'll offer her 2K large so I don't have to come back Thursday (too much work on)

I was also amazed at the number of people who failed the reaction brake test... 4 people failed this and walked... they probably drove back home as well... Jesus.

Matt.

Got mine last week. Car and Bike

In at

8:30 waited around lots

10:00 asked to do color test /play with depth of field test/ reaction test/one other test that I still dont get.

13:00 in for two theory tests passed both , it helps if you speak some Thai then you can translate the bad english to the original Thai

a little and get a grasp on some questions that are totally bizzare.

14:30 off for car test, drive forward /reverse /park curbside/reverse parking/ avoid sleeping dog in middle of track finished

15:00 Bike test rented bike from insurance office 30 bht put on construction hat, drove around track finished

Then paid for service and done.

It amazed me how few got through from approx 30 at start only 7 where at at the end. Madness however as all that failed simply drove home.

TOP TIP: Apply for International license from home country first, then you can skip theory tests and actuall skills.

Edited by stiggy

I have a thai license for a car but need to get a bike license.

Now I don't have such licence from EU so I need to do the test.

How can I do that when I don't speak thai at all ?

the video has English subtitles, the books they give you to read are in English, as long as you know how to drive in fog, what to do at railway crossing and what police hand signals mean you will be ok. all of these you will see on a daily basis on samui so no probs. My practical involed riding araound the car park once whilst the women watched me from the window.

:)

Where is the railway crossing?

Always wondered why so many people drive with the fog lights ON!

Now I know...!

FAILED AGAIN!

22 points out of the 23 required.

However I know 100% I will be passing tomorrow, thanks to my I-Phone Camera...

I did what NHJ said and asked for a pen and paper to write down the questions I got wrong after failing, the old lady wouldn't let me. She said I had to go outside, so I returned to the desk and used my camera on my I-Phone to take screen shots of the questions I got wrong...

I also have screen-shots of all 30 questions I was asked, however I don't think I will be able to post them on here...

Matt.

FAILED AGAIN!

22 points out of the 23 required.

However I know 100% I will be passing tomorrow, thanks to my I-Phone Camera...

I did what NHJ said and asked for a pen and paper to write down the questions I got wrong after failing, the old lady wouldn't let me. She said I had to go outside, so I returned to the desk and used my camera on my I-Phone to take screen shots of the questions I got wrong...

I also have screen-shots of all 30 questions I was asked, however I don't think I will be able to post them on here...

Matt.

Well Hey There Matt,

Good luck for tomorrow. I guess they know you on a first name basis there by now.

Cheers

Bridge

FAILED ONE QUESTION THAT IS!.... 29/30!... Got my motorbike license....

I would have got 30/30 if it wasn't for a MISTAKE ON THE EXAM THAT PEOPLE NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR!....

On the machine outside in the hall you can take the mock test and one of the questions is

"When you see an emergency vehicle approaching, you should:" You would think pull over to the left and stop, however the machine outside states the correct answer is "Stop.Proceed immediately after the emergency vehicle has passed."

I selected this on my test and it was WRONG. The correct answer is "Pull over to the left and stop." Bah!

When I have some time I will post a list of questions and answers that "maybe" on the exam to help future people from wasting the time I did. Or maybe they aren't as retarded as me...

Matt.

How did you do on the practical test. :)

A friend of mine failed on that and had to come next day and try again. :D

Failed the practical!?... Stevie Wonder couldn't fail the practical! :D

Around the track, in and out of cones, along a straight line. I did it on a CBR150. Nice agile bike.

However, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that I watched fail the practical for the car test... My God! :D

Around the track, in and out of cones, along a straight line. I did it on a CBR150. Nice agile bike.

However, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that I watched fail the practical for the car test... My God! :D

Cones?

When I took my MC license I was told to drive around the parking place, the old lady watched from through the window.

Why my friend failed:

The old lady just said "NO HELMET" come back tomorrow. :D

Edited by PoorSucker

Cones?

When I took my MC license I was told to drive around the parking place, the old lady watched from through the window.

Why my friend failed:

The old lady just said "NO HELMET" come back tomorrow. :D

lol, nearly all the forangs i see fail thetest don't bother to listen to the exam man. then they rush the test and fail. arrogance is quite funny as a spectator. funny to watch them storm off after thinking it would be as easy as a walk in the park :D:D

• 4 weeks later...
As Goldfish stated, head towards Nathon from Lamai end, turn left at Raja ferry sign, continue straight down towards the sea,road veers to left, past some hotels on your right, the Transport Department sits on your left, well back from the road.

Was wondering if its possible to do the renewal of my thai car license the same day as I will try to get a bike license ( I already have bike international license ) Is there enough time to do both ? actually , what do I need to bring for a renewal ??

As Goldfish stated, head towards Nathon from Lamai end, turn left at Raja ferry sign, continue straight down towards the sea,road veers to left, past some hotels on your right, the Transport Department sits on your left, well back from the road.

Was wondering if its possible to do the renewal of my thai car license the same day as I will try to get a bike license ( I already have bike international license ) Is there enough time to do both ? actually , what do I need to bring for a renewal ??

in my case yes. i have a uk bike and car liscence all i had to do was do the brake test and the other test what i don't even know the name for. then they up grade both my lscences will i everyone else was doing there video theiory and test

in my case yes. i have a uk bike and car liscence all i had to do was do the brake test and the other test what i don't even know the name for. then they up grade both my lscences will i everyone else was doing there video theiory and test

Gee Big C, I'm glad they were able to fit the training wheels on time.

:D

Thanks, but not exactly the answer to my questions :)