Obtain Driving License On Samui

Just a heads up, if you are renewing your motorbike licence, I presume car too from one year to a 5 year licence , you need a doctor's certificate.

You may be right Rooo, but I went to Nathon Hospital to get a doctor's certificate before they issued me with my first one year licences (when I took the theory test) but for my 5 year licences I didn't need one, nor did I need one for the renewal of my five year licences.

However...things change so who knows?

Didn't need one to renew my 5 year car licence, but she asked me to get one too renew my 1 year bike licence to a 5 year one. I thought it was silly & a total waste of time.If I can get a car licence renewal without one why do I need one for the bike ? Just wasted 2 hours at the hospital doctor didn't even ask any questions or examine me, just printed the form & signed it. TIT.

Sweet lady, always has a smile? on her face. sad.png

I just learned to grin & bear it. Try not to make sense of the situation, healthier for you. God I love government departments.

i took a picture of what u need in english at the transport office.

i just don't know how to upload it?

I just learned to grin & bear it. Try not to make sense of the situation, healthier for you. God I love government departments.

a few years back i forgot to renew my 1 year auto license. in fact it had expired and a new year had passed before i realized it. this meant i would have to get a new 1 year license, take all of the tests over, just basically do everything over, or so i thought.

took one of my staff with me just to see what would happen, they overlooked my license having been expired for over a year, let me stand to the side while all of the others were taking all of the eye and coordination tests etc, and only asked me to do the written exam, which i had finished in 5 minutes and walked out with my new 5 year license.

one of the few times where i actually ended up enjoying the thai "bureaucracy"

Just a heads up, if you are renewing your motorbike licence, I presume car too from one year to a 5 year licence , you need a doctor's certificate.

Thanks, but doing both from scratch; practical tests and all...

If you have a licence from your home country, you do not have to do all the tests. Make sure you have a copy of front & back .

If you have a licence from your home country, you do not have to do all the tests. Make sure you have a copy of front & back .

I don't have one from my home country.

I don't have one from my home country.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

I posted it once before Big C, here you go:

oh ok thanks.

I would have thought that all the questions could have been answered with this.

It definatly helps if you have a Thai driving licence as in the book of law for Forangs in Thailand it says that if you crash into a Thai then it is the forangs fault for not knowing the thai way of driving.

Put it this way if you have a Thai driving licence and you crash into another forang or another forang crashes into you then u have a stronger hold.

If you crash into a thai and the thai does not have a thai driving licence then it also helps.

It help with inssurence aswell and acts as a sort of ID card for forangs because it has you passport number on it so it can be used as a deposit for something other than a passport.

Obviously not for renting a car or bike or it would be pointless.

U can use it to get on planes check into hotels etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

My driver license as expired since 6 months.

I have ED visa, 1 year.

Is the procedure (2006) here for renew still valid and up to date :

http://www.thaivisa.com/567.0.html

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

• Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)
  • Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)
  • Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)
  • Your old Thai driving license.
  • A medical certificate showing that the applicant no underlying disease that may be hazardous
    while driving.
    Also the applicant must not be a person of unsound mind or mentally deranged,
    validated by a certified physician.
    The cetificate must be dated not over one month prior to the application.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon.

Fee: 105 Baht.

What time must I be at DLV? Can I do copies, fill in the form there, or my whole file must be ready?

For medical certificate, can I copy the one I will do to avoid to pay 2 consultations (last year I remember I paid 300THB each for 2 minutes interview...).

Will I get 1 year or 5 years?

Thanks !

• 1 year later...