Fat Festival

Tyke

According to today's BKK Post, "Chiang Mai has been trumpeted as the "it" city - the nouveau, arty farty place that can rival Bangkok any day ..."

Here is what a blogger on the same web page has to say in reply:

"I live in Chiang Mai. I should be more than grateful if someone would direct me towards the following in Chiang Mai: an adequate bookshop (Kinokuniya in Emporium, Bangkok, is the only decent bookshop in the entire country, and that is greatly inferior to the best bookshops in most other countries); a theatre that puts on drama, ballet, and opera; an adequate research library; an art gallery that's bigger than a one-room apartment; a natural history museum; s science museum; a general museum; a Thai culture centre; a park that's bigger than a one-room apartment; some decent architecture (see anywhere in Europe for examples); tea houses and coffee shops that have a pleasant ambience; and some decent adult education programmes in the arts; and a local newspaper to tell us where all the stuff mentioned above may be found."

I agree! but wondered if any CMyer could say anything better about the place, apart from how good the chips are.

I live in Chiang Mai. I should be more than grateful if someone would direct me towards the following in Chiang Mai:

an adequate bookshop
Gecko Books......the best in the world.
a theatre that puts on drama, ballet, and opera
Any bar that still has customers after midnight.
an art gallery that's bigger than a one-room apartment
The Gallery restaurant just up the road from the Riverside.
a natural history museum, science museum, a general museum
They are out there, you'll have to look.
a Thai culture centre
Chiang Mai has a little bit of Thai culture about it.
a park that's bigger than a one-room apartment
The bush and hills in almost every direction to the borders of neighboring countries.
some decent architecture (see anywhere in Europe for examples)
We are in Chiang Mai. Why would you want to see European architecture in Thailand.
tea houses and coffee shops that have a pleasant ambience
They are out there, open your eyes.
and some decent adult education programmes in the arts
Adult education can be found being performed live in a few establishments around town.
and a local newspaper to tell us where all the stuff mentioned above may be found
Thai Visa Chiang Mai forum will tell you everything you need to know and then some. Edited by Blinky Bill

~

Ah, so many choices for what you seek..

Bangkok, New York, Paris, San Francisco, et al..

There isn't any one place that satisfies every need/desire but Chiangmai is where I have happily chosen to nest for many, many reasons.

Rather than sharpshooting what our town may lack, how about spending the time here to discover the wonders she offers...

I guess if I really wanted all of that I would have stayed in Philadelphia and spent my weekends in NYC as I often did. The only thing I really miss is Philly cheese stakes and a decent New York pizza and if you tell me you can get them in Chiang Mai (as some folks from LA did) I'll know you have never had either.

"I live in Chiang Mai. I should be more than grateful if someone would direct me towards the following in Chiang Mai: an adequate bookshop (Kinokuniya in Emporium, Bangkok, is the only decent bookshop in the entire country, and that is greatly inferior to the best bookshops in most other countries); a theatre that puts on drama, ballet, and opera; an adequate research library; an art gallery that's bigger than a one-room apartment; a natural history museum; s science museum; a general museum; a Thai culture centre; a park that's bigger than a one-room apartment; some decent architecture (see anywhere in Europe for examples); tea houses and coffee shops that have a pleasant ambience; and some decent adult education programmes in the arts; and a local newspaper to tell us where all the stuff mentioned above may be found."

pfft, spot the bitter old c@nt that got some bird pregnant and is now stuck in Thailand, hating it more and more every day. "You can't get this, you can't get that, this is too expensive, Thai people are this, Thai people are that, etc...".

Heard it all before. It's these people that should be getting pushed out into the Indian Ocean small on boats with no provisions, their hands tied and a few shots fired into the hull.

Give us some peace.

pfft, spot the bitter old c@nt that got some bird pregnant and is now stuck in Thailand, hating it more and more every day. "You can't get this, you can't get that, this is too expensive, Thai people are this, Thai people are that, etc...".

Heard it all before. It's these people that should be getting pushed out into the Indian Ocean small on boats with no provisions, their hands tied and a few shots fired into the hull.

Give us some peace.

I nominate you as the bosun 'any seconders' :o

Give us some peace.

I nominate you as the bosun 'any seconders' :o

Seconded!!

Give us some peace.

I have to disagree!

No way he "got some bird pregnant".....

He is talking about art galleries, operas, and ballet for god sakes. Do you **REALLY** think he likes females?? :o

Give us some peace.

I have to disagree!

No way he "got some bird pregnant".....

He is talking about art galleries, operas, and ballet for god sakes. Do you **REALLY** think he likes females?? :o

Well, so far in this thread I've just mainly seen a character assassination because of someone asking a perfectly good question. The guy has been accused of getting a girl pregnant, being a whinger, deserving death on an open boat, a c*nt, and infer he is homosexual. Aren't straight guys in Chiang Mai capable of appreciating the arts then? Aren't they allowed to like something better than pizzas and chips?

Is this small-town, back-biting, grubby little gang mentality really so rife in Chiang Mai?

Edited by Tyke

Blinky Bill gave some of the best answers. As others have already said, if you want the finer arts and theatre then choose another city in another country. I come to Thailand for the weather and an inexpensive life style that I can't have back in Canada. That is why I spend my winters here and my spring, summers and early fall back home. A day at the Chiang Mai zoo is much like a park and you can walk around until you get tired. And, the creek that flows down off the hill from Doi Suhtep has a couple places where you can walk down and have a refreshing dip in clear water tumbling into pretty falls pools.

One of the joys in life is SEARCHING and finding things on your own. I go for long morning walks with a friend and usually find some place new to eat breakfast every morning. There is a swimming pool for those that like to swim.

I wouldn't expect to see European architecture here, but I certainly can see many examples of Thai architecture in any of the many temples. In our writers group there are several people who mention local plays being performed, so I know there is "SOME" interest in the Theatre.

I see artists at work in the malls and market areas, so I know there is something being displayed. Maybe there aren't any large galleries like London, but we aren't "IN" London. This is Chiang Mai and it has its own unique ambience.

The bars in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya are like nowhere else on earth and it's like one big party every night. Sit and watch the "natural" theatre being played out every night by the many patrons and the staff. It's a lesson in people watching that can be touching, thrilling or just plain amusing... and it's all for free, or for the price of a 50 baht beer.

Some people take wrong turnings in life. That blogger seems to be one of them.

I too live in the town, and my description of living in chiang mai is living in an adventure playground surrounded by a nature wonderland.

I reckon i'll still be discovering new places in 20 years. Furthermore, the general vibe of this place is such that if somebody is missing something out of their lives, then they tend to start it up themselves. Perhaps the blogger has tired of life.