Broken Leg, Cannot Do Proper Visa Run

Hi there,

When someone has a medical condition that prevents him/her from leaving and entering Thailand for the purpose of a "visa run" (15 day stamp), what to do ?

I have a broken leg, but out of hospital already. The stamp in my passport is only good until this Sunday 8th.

I am puzzled how to explain my condition, where, to whom and how :o

I live in Chiang Rai.

Many thanks for your advice in advance,

YB

Immigration can give you an extension of stay based on your medical condition, if you are unable to travel. They will need a docters certificate from and it is not sure they will give the extension. They can have their own doctor have a look at you to make a decision.

In short, try it. But don't count on it.

There is a provision for Immigration to give an extension for medical reasons. This is the rule.

2.25 In the case of medical

treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

Hi there,

When someone has a medical condition that prevents him/her from leaving and entering Thailand for the purpose of a "visa run" (15 day stamp), what to do ?

I have a broken leg, but out of hospital already. The stamp in my passport is only good until this Sunday 8th.

I am puzzled how to explain my condition, where, to whom and how :D

I live in Chiang Rai.

YB

I was in a similar situation a couple of yrs ago, i went to the immigration office in bkk as it was the closest one, was seen by their doctor and granted 6 weeks at a time.

You might want to go to the nearest immigration office on monday and sort it out as you will be liable for a overstay fine from tuesday.

Sorry i dont remember if i had to pay for the extension or not.

How did you break your leg? :o

What if the medical condition is as such that the person cannot *physically* walk, hop or crawl to the immigration office ?

I do not see any option other than showing up personally. That is what I will do, because it seems common consensus among the members.

Great forum this is !

YB

If you look at most of the immigration forms they have a section for the applicant to complete

AND a second part where a 3rd party will act on their behalf.

A personal attendance is not essential.

What if the medical condition is as such that the person cannot *physically* walk, hop or crawl to the immigration office ?

A wheelchair would help. I'm sure you could hire one from the hospital.

Hi there,

I am puzzled how to explain my condition, where, to whom and how :o

I live in Chiang Rai.

YB

My position was similar to yours a few years ago. I was in intensive care for three weeks after a heart operation and overstayed two weeks. I had the doctor at the hospital write a letter for me to take with me to the border explaining the situation. There was no problem at the border, they read the letter then......would you believe it.....yes charged me two weeks overstay. It seemed all they were bothered about was getting the money for the overstay. Good luck!

You handled that wrong, paul700, and should not blame the immigration officer at the border checkpoint. To avoid the overstay fine somebody would have had to apply on your behalf for the extension of stay at the immigration office, with the medical certificate.

--

Maestro

My father was in a similar situation a few moths ago.

Just get a letter from your Dr. stating that you can't leave the hospital and send someone with it and your PP to your nearest Immigration Office.

You'll get your stamp from them. Simple as that.

I know TIT and many things can get complicated,.... but some people here seem to enjoy to make things even worse or more complicated than they already are.

Enjoy your Sunday.

When all else fails call Sunbelt Asia. They are not inexpensive but they can solve most any visa related problem. They advertise on this site

funny, my wife called a few weeks back sunbelt asia to enquire about 1 year visa

and all they did was to tell her that she should go to the immigration and get the information herrself.

We called twice because we couldn't believe it. Different person, same story.

Sunbelt Asia is a NO NO to us

EDIT: Typo

Edited by sedeflonga

Like many people here already stated, you just have to send someone to the imm. office on your behalf. Ofcourse you will have to pay for the extension. Do NOT go to the border afterwards with any statement of any docter, because then you already have the overstay and you will end up paying for that (500 B a day with a maximum of 20.000 :D.

Sunbelt Asia can not do anything for you in this case. They are not more powerfull with imm. office than you yourself, i.o.w. NO POWER AT ALL. They might be able to help you with all kinds of visa, but the rules are not bended for them, just because the firm advertises with it.

DON'T MAKE THINGS MORE COMPLICATED THAN THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D

I am shocked that no-one has yet given you the first really good piece of advice that you need? Do you know someone who speaks Thai and just as importantly does this person speak English too? This person can help you by discussing your case with the right people. Its true the red tape here is bad, but mainly because we don't speak the language and equally as important we don't know the etiquette. I am an Ex-pat working for an Aussie company with an office over here. My Thai workmates have been extremely helpful and talk to various agencies, hospitals and such on my behalf.

If you don't know anyone who fits the bill then find an immigration agent on ThaiVisa (this forum) and pay them to sort things out. I must admit I am surprised about Sunbelt Asia as they have provided good advice to me in the past. Perhaps you should ask to speak to one of the immigration lawyers direct and then hire them to help? Don't be put off by receptionists, ask to speak to the lawyer personally.

If a law office tells your wife that you can do it yourself at immigration, that you do not need their legal services for it, I believe this is helpful information and it saves you a lot of money, in the case of the poster who said he wanted to know about an annual extension I believe he saved between 4,000 and 5,000 Baht. He should be grateful for the advice he received.

--

Maestro

If a law office tells your wife that you can do it yourself at immigration, that you do not need their legal services for it, I believe this is helpful information and it saves you a lot of money, in the case of the poster who said he wanted to know about an annual extension I believe he saved between 4,000 and 5,000 Baht. He should be grateful for the advice he received.

--

Maestro

Then again, to many people, and I am sure many members on Thaivisa, 4000-5000 baht to prevent them having what may be (to them) a traumatic experience at Suan Plu, is probably money well spent.

If they are in the position when they are asking the 'so called' experts at Sunbelt et al, then they are probably in the position where 5000 baht is not a problem.

regards

Freddie

You are right, Freddie_fly, and I do remember reading some posts of members who said that they regularly use Sunbelt Asia for their annual extensions for the convenience of it. Regarding sedeflonga, though, we do not really know the details of his wife's conversation with a person at Sunbelt, nor probably does sedeflonga himself since the conversation was probably in Thai and he probably heard only one side of it. I tend to get suspicious when a newbie comes along to slag a sponsor with such vague details. If he has an issue with Sunbelt Asia he should send him a PM, not post it here.

--

Maestro

You are right, Freddie_fly, and I do remember reading some posts of members who said that they regularly use Sunbelt Asia for their annual extensions for the convenience of it. Regarding sedeflonga, though, we do not really know the details of his wife's conversation with a person at Sunbelt, nor probably does sedeflonga himself since the conversation was probably in Thai and he probably heard only one side of it. I tend to get suspicious when a newbie comes along to slag a sponsor with such vague details. If he has an issue with Sunbelt Asia he should send him a PM, not post it here.

--

Maestro

Agree

If you were in a business that provided a service and got a phone call seeking advice how much would you give for free.

With most companies about all you would get is a quote of how much it would cost to get more help.

I have traveled out fo the country with a broken foot in a cast. Whats the big deal?

if u cant fly, hire a taxi to the border and then go in and out

Why make such a big deal out of it.

The laws are very simple here and it only people ion the forum that TRY and interpret them that makes things complicated.

Yea Dude, I had the same deal in 2002. The doctors letter, as it was explained to me, is to keep you out of the slammer. I had to pay 65,000 BHT on the spot. The chance are they were f**king me, but I was told this on the top floor of immigration in Bangkok. My advise is to get the visa run done. That said, it was 02.

"I tend to get suspicious when a newbie comes along to slag a sponsor with such vague details. If he has an issue with Sunbelt Asia he should send him a PM, not post it here."

I think you're being a bit unfair to the poster. He was simply responding to someone elses post. It didn't appear he came here to say anything negative, it just came up, no fault of his.

Thetitan99, the doctor's letter, as it was probably explained to you and probably misunderstood by you, was to get an extension of stay at the immigration office, which in turn was to save you from an overstay find and/or the “slammer”. It was not for you to overstay and then show at the immigration checkpoint when leaving Thailand and to exempt you from the overstay fine in this situation.

--

Maestro