Braddock

redscouse

how have I made myself look foolish? I asked questions

It doesnt matter if you look foolish. You didnt know so asked you got the answer now u know. :D

so the answer is that it is a film because people seem to have the filming location wrong and the fact it was under vietnam control. so basically for the movie they decided to ignore a complete country.

really there are some sad fuc_kers on here screaming 'look at me look at me, i know something you don't'

LOOK AT ME ........ if you dont want an answer DONT ask the questions :o its 91km remember it for the pub quiz :D

yeah 91km through another country :D

anyway what is the american fascination with vietnam, didn't they get there <deleted> kicked

Which was what i said "Still have to go thru Cambodia"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt matter if you look foolish. You didnt know so asked you got the answer now u know. :D

so the answer is that it is a film because people seem to have the filming location wrong and the fact it was under vietnam control. so basically for the movie they decided to ignore a complete country.

really there are some sad fuc_kers on here screaming 'look at me look at me, i know something you don't'

LOOK AT ME ........ if you dont want an answer DONT ask the questions :o its 91km remember it for the pub quiz :D

anyway what is the american fascination with vietnam, didn't they get there <deleted> kicked

I think youll find that the amoumt of Vietnamese killed to Americans will give you that answer regardless of who won/didnt win, does anyone ever win a war?

To answer your question....when I worked in the US, I was working with a guy who had a Masters degree in engineering and joking one day I asked him to show me on a world map where Africa was...and yes you guessed it...he pointed to South America...

So think your question is a valid one..

I hope you used the right map, which is this one (attachment)

:o:D ......excellent...

That is exactly what you did.

Yes, everyone feels really inferior to you now.

Really, haven't you got a job to be getting on with? Oops, didn't see the avatar, sorry, no offence.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits

Chuck Norris was the fourth Wiseman. He brought baby Jesus the gift of “beard.” Jesus wore it proudly to his dying day. The other Wisemen, jealous of Jesus’ obvious gift favoritism, used their combined influence to have Chuck omitted from the Bible. Shortly after, all three died of roundhouse kick related deaths.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits

Chuck Norris was the fourth Wiseman. He brought baby Jesus the gift of "beard." Jesus wore it proudly to his dying day. The other Wisemen, jealous of Jesus' obvious gift favoritism, used their combined influence to have Chuck omitted from the Bible. Shortly after, all three died of roundhouse kick related deaths.

R u sure i thought it wa s "snapkicks" from the "Don" :o:D:D

Just for the record ;-

The Movie "The 51st State", a humourous action movie set in Liverpool, also has glaring mistakes (to Scousers that is !)

When Elmo and Felix are driving around Liverpool, they go from Liverpool town center to Old Swan (about 4 miles away), then back to the town center in a matter of seconds.

and

When Felix and McElroy go into the pub in Manchester, the sign outside says Manchester United vs Liverpool, suggesting that the game was being played at Manchester United's home, Old Trafford, whereas it's actually being played at Anfield, Liverpool's home stadium.

:o .. :D .. :D

I am well aware of this, also it is impossible to be in an executive box at anfield whilst looking at the executive boxes on the other side of the pitch as they are only on one side, however i don't recall a whole country disappearing during this movie

Really, haven't you got a job to be getting on with? Oops, didn't see the avatar, sorry, no offence.

The 80's just called, they want their joke back

The 80's just called, they want their joke back

You sure are a fan of American movies. Should we call you Red Ocean?

American's they usually make me laugh, in general they don't know much about other countries. For many of them USA is the whole world. Europeans usually know a lot more about geography.

I know its stereotyping but its true many times.

I know what you mean, so much can be gleaned from watching those educational British TV programmes likes England's worst cook, worst mother, worst dad or liverworst.

American's they usually make me laugh, in general they don't know much about other countries. For many of them USA is the whole world. Europeans usually know a lot more about geography.

I know what you mean, so much can be gleaned from watching those educational British TV programmes likes England's worst cook, worst mother, worst dad or liverworst.

and the american ones such as nanny 911, the biggest loser, cops etc etc etc, if yu are so anti british why support an english team?

and the american ones such as nanny 911, the biggest loser, cops etc etc etc, if yu are so anti british why support an english team?

Not anti british at all mate, just can't figure out why you would start such a thread - is it a case of the pom calling the kettle black? haha kidding mate, lighten up, just having some fun.

Yesterday in a moment of sheer boredom I started to watch a movie called Braddock, to cut a long story short it was so bad and so clichéd I felt I had to watch it all the way through. For those that don't know it about Chuck Norris as Colonel Braddock who goes into Vietnam 11 years after the war to rescue his family that were left there.

Anyway despite all the clichéd Characters there was one major geographical blip, Braddock is leading a group of children away from Vietnam, he claims to be 90 Km from the Thai border (at this point I think 'oh he must be in Cambodia now so why are the Vietnamese still chasing), they steal a plane and crash near the Thai border then make their way to the border. The border is a short bridge between Vietnam and Thailand, one side flying the Vietnam flag and the other flying the Thailand flag.

Am I missing something, did Cambodia or Laos not exist in any form or is geography so poor in America they didnt realise either country was between Vietnam and Thailand, or did they just simplify it in the knowledge that american movie goers wouldnt even realise it's not possible to cross from Vietnam straight into Thailand

:o:D

Yes - Geography is not the average USA student/youngsters strongest subject. The "problem" is, with the USA been such a large country, and so many of its citizens not having ever travelled outside of their home state (let alone the country), geography about the rest of the world never seems to feature to the average student as does say amongst students in Europe or Scandanavia. Its a bit of a weak point amongst USA students.

the initial post was not a p!ss take mate, it was genuine, was i missing something about the borders or is it a genuine lack of geographical knowledge, but as usual the thread gets invaded by muppets who want to turn it into something it isn't

As one of those Muppets (can I be the blue one?), perhaps you need to give the director some credit. He / she decided to portray the subject in a certain way on purpose(yes it's fictional) for obviously commercial reasons. If you think it was done out of ignorance, well my LP friend, you are mistaken.

the initial post was not a p!ss take mate, it was genuine, was i missing something about the borders or is it a genuine lack of geographical knowledge, but as usual the thread gets invaded by muppets who want to turn it into something it isn't

As one of those Muppets (can I be the blue one?), perhaps you need to give the director some credit. He / she decided to portray the subject in a certain way on purpose(yes it's fictional) for obviously commercial reasons. If you think it was done out of ignorance, well my LP friend, you are mistaken.

no you can not be the blue one. but i wonder how many viewers the the states actually picked up on this.

on another note i heard the 90% of americans have no passport, is this figure accurate?

no you can not be the blue one. but i wonder how many viewers the the states actually picked up on this.

on another note i heard the 90% of americans have no passport, is this figure accurate?

and I read somewhere that 25% of the British population are expats - what does that say?

I'm Dutch so i don't really care how you think about the Brits. I just laugh more about Americans.

I'm Dutch so i don't really care how you think about the Brits. I just laugh more about Americans.

That's the best you can come up with?

Is that your best defense.. just admit that Americans don't know squat about geography. They lack a lot in general knowledge. And i am generalizing because I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule.

Well that's opened up a can of worms.

This could be a lively thread.

Yup, could be. Could someone out there (their, they're) please refresh my early-onset Alheimer's memory - did the US actually declare war on NV, or was it always a case of giving 'advisory assistance' which then turned into a 'police action' similar to the Korean conflict?

anyway, with films, if you don't suspend your belief/disbelief in reality at the door, you're not gonna have a good time watching. just my 2 cents, which may be 3 cents more than it's worth :D

I don't have a source but I recall reading a survey of US high school graduates conducted in the early 90s. Something like 45% of the students asked could not locate Vietnam on a world map and did not know that they had fought a war there. And lost. When asked other questions about world history some of the students recognised the name 'Hitler' but had no real understanding of the 2nd world war, the countries involved etc.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

The USA is a country of 50 states and a few territories, so vast the average high school student is lucky to have memorized all the states, let alone their capitals. Two states are larger than all of Thailand, and yet not the USA is not even the largest country on its continent. Unlike Europe, which is only half a continent, and has countries smaller than postage stamps. So we cannot show the way from Britain to Bretagne, if that's where Britney Spears is from. My twins cannot drive all the way to the opposite corner of Texas :o in one day, but they could walk to Tamiluipas, Mexico.

So yes, we could not get from Perzance to Aberdeen, either. As the Thais say in Houston, "my pen writes."

Is that your best defense.. just admit that Americans don't know squat about geography. They lack a lot in general knowledge. And i am generalizing because I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule.

I am not defending Americans but I must say (and I am not one), America became the most powerful country in the world without knowing where most of the world was - while others - more worldy peoples - sat back and watched it happen.

Does this speak more about America's ignorance or the rest of the worlds indifference?

James just owned this thread. thanks mate :o

It is a stereotype that Americans aren't geographically smart. Yes, you will meet many Americans who will not know exactly where Vietnam is. But you will also meet many Americans who do know.

If you go looking for Americans that don't know geography, of course you will find them and think "Oh silly Americans!" We naturally look for examples that strengthen our belief in a stereotype and disregard those that weaken it.

For example, when I see an African guy getting arrested for drug smuggling in Nana, I want to jump up and say "aha! I knew it! all smugglers!" But I am disregarding the 20 other Africans I saw that day that weren't being arrested.

But if you change your mindset and go looking for Americans that do know geography then you will end up thinking "These Americans are smart!"

But the bottom line is what James says, if we became the most powerful country with shitty geography skills...then who the hel_l cares.

By the way OP, yes Brits outnumber Americans here by a large margin but you should watch the anti-american sentiment....we do have lots of guns

ITS A FILM!!!!!!! for crying out loud! Why do people expect fantasy films to depict real events ???????????

Vietnam is a real country, Vietnam War was a real war, Vietnamese are real people. We are not talking about hobbits and dwarfes here. These movies create REAL stereotypes.

You appear to miss that this is a none real film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES the Vietnam war was real

YES there were real people killed

Yes to all the other crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!ITS A MAKE BELIEVE FILM

Just exactly which part of that are you having problems understanding ???????????????????

They only create stereotypes in certain mindless, ignorant people who cannot distinguish between a DOCUMENTARY which depicts real events and a FICTICIOUS film! :o