Cathay Pacific

curlywatt

i'm looking at booking with cathay pacific, amsterdam-hongkong-bangkok, anybody any experience of their standard of aircraft and service, many thanks........

Arguably, world's best airline. Rotates as No.1 with Singapore Airlines and ANA.

Easily trashes anything else in the skies (other than other 2 mentioned + another 2-3 that are distant No. 4-7).

No mistake can be made when choosing them.

Edited by think_too_mut

Arguably, world's best airline. Rotates as No.1 with Singapore Airlines and ANA.

Easily trashes anything else in the skies (other than other 2 mentioned + another 2-3 that are distant No. 4-7).

Wot TTM said - you didn't say what class you were travelling, but FWIW I actually prefer CX economy class seats to SQ ones (new A380 excepted) - just find them a little more supportive.

Wot TTM said - you didn't say what class you were travelling,

Always economy. To HKG, SIN, NRT, NGO. 24 flights of 2-5 hours duration.

If I was so happy in economy, biz and 1st that I only read about must be fantastic.

the flights i'm looking at are cathay pacific economy, dublin - amsterdam - hong kong - bankgkok, 580 euro

my alternative is dublin - abu dhabi - bangkok for 700 euro with etihad which is economy 700 euro

which would you guys go for ?

many thanks......

If you don't mind pretty long time transiting and needless to mention about the better price ( which is another important factor), the answer is obviously a thumb up for Cathay Pacific (CX).

Personally, I haven't taken any flight with CX but from what its ranking in both Airlines and Airport service, I think it's definitely worth a try. It is also said to be the hard rival of SQ ( which I had quite great experiences), so it again reaffirms my choice for CX.

Waiting for your first trip report, maybe.

Kevin

CX for me is an average airline at most, but that pricing looks pretty good, so I'd say go for it. They are undoubtedly top-class in some aspects, but I wouldn't say they are top-5 in the world or anywhere near that.

Unless CX puts a brand-new 777-300ER on the route, be prepared to see an average cabin and no audio/video on demand, bring your own laptop :D Don't be like me, I watched "Taking Lives" 5 or 6 times on CX once :o

P.S. I have serious beef with ranking CX "up there" with ANA. I think ANA is a lot better. If the Japanese were more forward about speaking English in general, I think ANA would get a lot more recognition. (end rant)

CX for me is an average airline at most, but that pricing looks pretty good, so I'd say go for it. They are undoubtedly top-class in some aspects, but I wouldn't say they are top-5 in the world or anywhere near that.

Unless CX puts a brand-new 777-300ER on the route, be prepared to see an average cabin and no audio/video on demand, bring your own laptop :D Don't be like me, I watched "Taking Lives" 5 or 6 times on CX once :o

P.S. I have serious beef with ranking CX "up there" with ANA. I think ANA is a lot better. If the Japanese were more forward about speaking English in general, I think ANA would get a lot more recognition. (end rant)

Safe to say that on the long haul route described by via Amsterdam, Cathay flies 777 or 340-500 or 747-400s with top drawer entertainment choices.

Perhaps Taipei doesn't get the same planes. Consistently one of the best airlines in the world. ANA wishes it were Cathay.

In over ten years of flying Cathay I've never flown on any of their planes or routes that didn't have audio/visual on demand, unless of course you fly in economy! :D

In over ten years of flying Cathay I've never flown on any of their planes or routes that didn't have audio/visual on demand, unless of course you fly in economy! :o

You are my idol.

FYI, on my 24 flights in CX economy, every single one had in seat entertainment and screen.

Since I give no <deleted> about anything else than flight progress map, I don't know how extensive they could have been.

audio/video on demand does NOT refer to simply having a screen in your seat back. It refers to the ability to start, pause, fast forward and rewind whenever you want.

Unless you get one of the new 777-300ER's, it's possible that you won't get this on a CX flight.

I flew CX831 a while back on an A340-600. While a lot of online forums (like you guys? :o) misled me to believe it had AVOD, it did not -- the movies started and ended on a set cycle that the passengers do not control.

You people need to stop being so protective about an airline that's not only average, but morally questionable IMO.

And bkkjames, honey? CX does not have a single A340-500 in its fleet. Sure you don't mean TG or SQ?

Edited by mezzoninny

audio/video on demand does NOT refer to simply having a screen in your seat back. It refers to the ability to start, pause, fast forward and rewind whenever you want.

Unless you get one of the new 777-300ER's, it's possible that you won't get this on a CX flight.

I flew CX831 a while back on an A340-600. While a lot of online forums (like you guys? :o) misled me to believe it had AVOD, it did not -- the movies started and ended on a set cycle that the passengers do not control.

You people need to stop being so protective about an airline that's not only average, but morally questionable IMO.

The inhumanity of it all, I hope you gave them he_l and demanded a refund on your ticket, plus punitive damages.

But now what's this about CP being average, I don't really think so, you will have to have flown with quite a few airlines over time to understand the real meaning of average and good.

Now, do please explain your statement about "morally questionable" - why do I think you're going to have a go at Tyler for firing his pilots!.

Edited by chiang mai

The inhumanity of it all, I hope you gave them he_l and demanded a refund on your ticket, plus punitive damages.

But now what's this about CP being average, I don't really think so, you will have to have flown with quite a few airlines over time to understand the real meaning of average and good.

Now, do please explain your statement about "morally questionable" - why do I think you're going to have a go at Tyler for firing his pilots!.

Secretly, the poster in question actually works for China Airlines and is part of a plan to seed the internet with half truths and misleading thoughts regarding the morality of real world airlines that don't flip over on approach. :D

Secretly, the poster in question actually works for China Airlines and is part of a plan to seed the internet with half truths and misleading thoughts regarding the morality of real world airlines that don't flip over on approach. :D

I remember the event well, but the better one perhaps was the Virgin plane that died at the end of Chep Lap Kok and closed it for far too long. Goodness, how I miss flying into the old airport.

I remember the event well, but the better one perhaps was the Virgin plane that died at the end of Chep Lap Kok and closed it for far too long. Goodness, how I miss flying into the old airport.

It was amazing, buildings to the right, people on the balconies. Landing at night was awesome.

It was amazing, buildings to the right, people on the balconies. Landing at night was awesome.

A great thrill and an experience to be treasured.