Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

Strict changes in Immigration office areas/locations from February 15

BANGKOK: -- From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

All visa changes, extensions, re-entry permits and other immigration requests are to be handled by the immigration offices in the districts in which the foreigners reside. Immigration offices at international airports can handle such issues only in emergencies ('illness' is given as an example).

See the attached PDF file (below) for all the 63 Immigration offices in Thailand, and explains which Immigration office you should use from February 15.

For example, Kanchanaburi handle immigration duties for all of the province except for Sangkhlaburi District (which are handled, it says, by a separate Sangkhlaburi immigration office). Kanchanburi also handles immigration duties for Ratchaburi and Suphanburi provinces.

Another example: Nong Khai handles immigration for most of Nong Khai province (except for Lao-bordering districts outside Nong Khai District, to be handled by Beung Kan immigration), plus Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

The big news is that Korat Immigration will only serve foreigners living in Korat province from Feb 15th. This is an order from the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

So, people from Khon Kaen will have to go to Nong Khai. Foreigners from example Lopburi, Nong Khai or Chaiyaphum will not be accepted in Korat, not even for a re-entry permit. More confusing is that the list says that foreigners in Korat shall submit their applications to Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin province from February 15, 2009.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

It's not clear if this affects the One-Stop Visa & Work Permit Center, as previously those eligible for One-Stop services could use them no matter where in the kingdom they resided. One-Stop isn't mentioned, though presumably it's under jurisidiction 1, Metropolitan Bangkok Immigration Inspection Wing.

The information provided above has been verified with the Immigration Bureau.

-- Thaivisa.com 2009-02-12

PS! Thanks to the following for providing the info and translations:

- Thai Immigration Bureau

- Isaan Lawyers http://www.isaanlawyers.com

- Sabaijai, bazmlb and the mods team at thaivisa.com

Attachment:

For anybody who should still have problems reading the attached PDF file after reading this post and this post, here are the individual pages of the PDF document as GIF files:

post-21260-1234517665_thumb.png post-21260-1234517673_thumb.png post-21260-1234517683_thumb.png post-21260-1234517692_thumb.png

Thai_Immigration_service_areas_Feb_15_2009.PDF

Edited by Maestro
Added GIF files - Maestro

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this effects those that do visa runs, either for 15 days exemp or to make a new entry ? As i understand, if your address is in Pattaya you need to visit immigration in Pattaya as before. so if you are travelling in f.ex. Chaing Mai the day you need a new stamp, you then must go to Pattaya to get it ? Am i right or am i perhaps misunderstanding something?

What is worrying is that you also have to use your immigration office for a re-entry permit.

I cannot speak for Suvarnabhumi but I never noticed the re-entry permit desk at Chiang Mai Airport being overwhelmed by applicants.

Suvarnabhumi no longer has a Re Entry Permit Desk.

I wonder if this effects those that do visa runs, either for 15 days exemp or to make a new entry ? As i understand, if your address is in Pattaya you need to visit immigration in Pattaya as before. so if you are travelling in f.ex. Chaing Mai the day you need a new stamp, you then must go to Pattaya to get it ? Am i right or am i perhaps misunderstanding something?
surely if going for a 15 day you are a tourist and wont have a " local office " , you could be travelling ?

Not that it will affect me for a few years, since I moved back the U.S. in October, but I did have a retirement visa with my Thai wife and kept it for a few years while living in Chiang Mai because the offices in Chiang Mai issued retirement visas but not marriage visas (I would have had to go to Bangkok for one). Has this changed?

From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

What's the definition of "where they live"?

How would this apply to someone just traveling around Thailand?

Not that it will affect me for a few years, since I moved back the U.S. in October, but I did have a retirement visa with my Thai wife and kept it for a few years while living in Chiang Mai because the offices in Chiang Mai issued retirement visas but not marriage visas (I would have had to go to Bangkok for one). Has this changed?

Chiang Mai issue every kind of extension.

I have a one year Multi entry O Visa and which requires me to leave the country then re-enter every 90 days. I need to exit by the 17th so have planned a trip to Cambodia but I live in Chiang Rai. Does this news mean I MUST go elsewhere? to Mae Sai maybe? Would they know my address if I showed up near Chanthaburi wanting to re-enter and refuse my entrance?? On this type of visa am I supposed to be reporting my address or is that just for the Visa that you only exit once a year? Thanks for your help, Lee

You can get an extension based upon marriage at any immigration office. After applying you have a 30 day wait while they consider it which is done at the next level up.

I have a one year Multi entry O Visa and which requires me to leave the country then re-enter every 90 days. I need to exit by the 17th so have planned a trip to Cambodia but I live in Chiang Rai. Does this news mean I MUST go elsewhere? to Mae Sai maybe? Would they know my address if I showed up near Chanthaburi wanting to re-enter and refuse my entrance?? On this type of visa am I supposed to be reporting my address or is that just for the Visa that you only exit once a year? Thanks for your help, Lee

No, this doesn;t apply to you. Only for paperwork from immigration, not for entering and leaving Thailand.

In the north it lists Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Airport. I was aware of only one immigration office in Chiang Mai - that being next to the airport. Is there another one?

The airport office is not an office it is the exit and entry functions only.

You will notice they list those for all the international airports.

That's also the thing that strikes me. The world is becoming more mobile, people move around and travel all of the time. Seems very inflexible.

No

This change does not affect border runs. It is only for extensions, re-entry permits and etc. that are done at an office.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question but after reading the list of immigration areas I checked my address on the proof of income letter I got two weeks ago from the British Consulate in Pattaya, the last part of my address reads Amphur Sriracha, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chon Buri.

The way I am reading the list of immigration areas this means that I can continue to use the Pattaya immigration office as I have done previously. I would be very happy if this is the case as I have always found them much easier to deal with than Sriracha. But as I only live 10 minutes away from the Sriracha office and 30 minutes away from the Pattaya office this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

In the north it lists Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Airport. I was aware of only one immigration office in Chiang Mai - that being next to the airport. Is there another one?

The airport office is not an office it is the exit and entry functions only.

You will notice they list those for all the international airports.

The airport office is where I have handled all of my Thai immigration issues - multiple reentry, received the non-resident 'O' visa, and where I am currently on an extension for one month pending the one year extension being granted. So where do I go now (I live out in San Sai) to finish up the non-resident 'O' extension?

What is worrying is that you also have to use your immigration office for a re-entry permit.

I cannot speak for Suvarnabhumi but I never noticed the re-entry permit desk at Chiang Mai Airport being overwhelmed by applicants.

Suvarnabhumi no longer has a Re Entry Permit Desk.

as it says ! where you live, wheres your adress !!

Youz live in the airport ??

That's also the thing that strikes me. The world is becoming more mobile, people move around and travel all of the time. Seems very inflexible.

This change mostly affects those that are on 1 year extensions and they normally will live in one place most of the time. When those extensions are applied for you have to give a home address.

If you are on tourist visa you would not be tied to an address so you could still go to any immigration office. The same would apply for most visa entrries.

Ah, so if you don't get on with the folks in the local immigration office then you are stuffed. All immigration offices are not equal (or fair). So if you can't/refuse to pay the tea money to smooth the way, then you can't go to another office (which does not drink tea) :o