Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

Hua Hin, Soi 102. It's a ways back up the hill, so follow the signs...
Hua Hin. Soi 102...

I was looking for Singkhon on Google Maps and could not find it, not even when I used the Thai name สิงขร

If either of you has Google Earth on your computer, could you please look up the coordinates and post them here, as well as the full street address? I would like to put a placemark for it on Google Maps, similar to what I did today already for the Bangkok immigration office. (If I got the placemark wrong, please let me know and I'll move it)

--

Maestro

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been through 4 annual extensions for retirement reaons and have never paid a bribe. I think you are overstating things when you use the term 'routinely'...unless it applies to a single office somewhere in this Kingdom...but I doubt that it applies across the board.

I agree. I've done 6 and never had a problem. I suppose it helps if you turn up with all the correct paperwork. :o

Hua Hin, Soi 102. It's a ways back up the hill, so follow the signs...
Hua Hin. Soi 102...

I was looking for Singkhon on Google Maps and could not find it, not even when I used the Thai name สิงขร

If either of you has Google Earth on your computer, could you please look up the coordinates and post them here, as well as the full street address? I would like to put a placemark for it on Google Maps, similar to what I did today already for the Bangkok immigration office. (If I got the placemark wrong, please let me know and I'll move it)

--

Maestro

not 100% sure this is the place you are looking for, make sure you tick "enable photo view" on GoogleMaps, have a look: 11°47'23.02"N 99°38'33.17"E

Strict changes in Immigration office areas/locations from February 15

BANGKOK: -- From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

All visa changes, extensions, re-entry permits and other immigration requests are to be handled by the immigration offices in the districts in which the foreigners reside. Immigration offices at international airports can handle such issues only in emergencies ('illness' is given as an example).

See the attached PDF file (below) for all the 63 Immigration offices in Thailand, and explains which Immigration office you should use from February 15.

For example, Kanchanaburi handle immigration duties for all of the province except for Sangkhlaburi District (which are handled, it says, by a separate Sangkhlaburi immigration office). Kanchanburi also handles immigration duties for Ratchaburi and Suphanburi provinces.

Another example: Nong Khai handles immigration for most of Nong Khai province (except for Lao-bordering districts outside Nong Khai District, to be handled by Beung Kan immigration), plus Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

The big news is that Korat Immigration will only serve foreigners living in Korat province from Feb 15th. This is an order from the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

So, people from Khon Kaen will have to go to Nong Khai. Foreigners from example Lopburi, Nong Khai or Chaiyaphum will not be accepted in Korat, not even for a re-entry permit. More confusing is that the list says that foreigners in Korat shall submit their applications to Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin province from February 15, 2009.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

It's not clear if this affects the One-Stop Visa & Work Permit Center, as previously those eligible for One-Stop services could use them no matter where in the kingdom they resided. One-Stop isn't mentioned, though presumably it's under jurisidiction 1, Metropolitan Bangkok Immigration Inspection Wing.

The information provided above has been verified with the Immigration Bureau.

-- Thaivisa.com 2009-02-12

PS! Thanks to the following for providing the info and translations:

- Thai Immigration Bureau

- Isaan Lawyers http://www.isaanlawyers.com

- Sabaijai, bazmlb and the mods team at thaivisa.com

Attachment:

copy of email i sent to the immigration office (in thai)

not that ittle do any good but at least i find it satisfying to try to let them know what we are all feeling and thinking.Changes wont occur for the better if we dont show our feelings and make a stand, i keep saying this but of course we deserve what we get because we dont defend ourselves here. In UK there are lots of indiand pakistanis and many other races who make demos and get the placards out to fight for their rights. Why we dont do this? beats me, but maybe its because we are too shit scared to go for it in case we get our legs blown off by a chinese smoke bomb?

well cowards will always be tread on - i repeat i think we should make a foundation that is financed by donations and try to get organized to make some changes. If it got in the news a load of expats and husbands of thai wives marching and the cops there firing into us.. wow that would embarass them into making changes or at least let the world see how faschist they are.(the government not the people).

for those who can read thai; enjoy the sarcy letter below :o

co

หลังจากการลดลงแห่งคนเข้ามาเที่ยวไทยโดยเหตุผลที่ว่านโยบายและกฎหมายเกี่ยวกับการลงดวงตราวีซ่าได้เปลี่ยนต่อเนื่องให้เห็นว่าคนไทยตัดสินใจอะไรไม่ได้ซะอย่าง ทำให้ฝรั่งไม่ไว้ใจไทยแล้ว แป๊บนึงก็ได้30วันอีกวันนึงปั๊บก้เปลี่ยนเป็น15วัน ตอนนี้ก็เปลี่ยนอีกว่าคนอยู่ขอนแกนก็ไปต่อที่ขอนแก่นไม้ได้ก็ต้องไปลงตราที่หนองคาย อยู่ปธุมก็ต้องไปอยุทธยาไปปธุมไมได้

นี้ได้พิสูจความมั่วทีรัฐบาลไทยมีดำรง๕์อยู่ ทำกฎหมายที่ไม่ต้องปรับปรุงแต่ละ2อาทิตย์ไม่ได้หรือครับ

ฌมืองไทยก็ลำบากพอดีอยู่แล้วครับ ทำไมต้องเบียดเบียนฝรั่งที่มาลงทุนแต่ไม้ได้รับสิทธิ์อะไรเลยเท่าที่คนไทยที่ไปอยูเมืองนอก เค้าได้แต่งงานก้ได้อนุยาติทำงานและสิทธิ์ซื้อที่ดินได้ แต่สวนฝรั่งที่ได้เมียไทยก็ยังต้องเป็นผู้ไม่มีสิทธิเลยอยู่นะครับ

กรุณาอ่าน เวบไซท์ thaivisa dot com นะครับ คนไทยจะได้รู้ตัวกันว่าไทยกำลังเสียชื่อเสียหน้าอย่างยิง โดยเฉพาะ ต.ม.ไทยครับ

เดี๋ยวจะไม่มีฝรั่งเข้าแล้ว เสียไปหลายร้อยล้านต่อปี

อย่าทำแบบนี้กันสร้างแต่กฎหมายขี้กลัวใครจะมาเอาของไทย เราไม่อยากเอาอะไรเลยนะครับ แค่อยาก เกศียรโดยไม่ต้องต่อวิซ่าทุกที คนแก่ไม่สบายก็มาอยู่ไทย ทำไม่ต.ม.ต้องบังคับเขาให้ไปชายแดนบ่อยขนาดนี้ ขอวีซ่าก็ยากขึ้นตลอด

แย่มากนะครับ

ไม่นาเที่ยวไม่น่าอยู่แล้วนะคับ ทั่วโลกก็เริ่มพูดกันว่าเมืองไทยเสียสติแล้วหลายเรื่องนะครับ

ส่วนผมๆจะหาที่อยู่ที่ง่ายก่วานี่ไม่ลงทุนแล้วที่นีอีกแล้วคับ

คุณแซม

I thought there was a list of immigration offices with full street address on the website of the Immigration Bureau but I cannot find it. Does somebody have the direct link to the corresponding web page?

--

Maestro

http://singkhon.immigration.go.th/index2.html

http://singkhon.immigration.go.th/area%20s...n%20huahin.html

From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

What's the definition of "where they live"?

How would this apply to someone just traveling around Thailand?

Anybody know the what the rationale is behind these changes ?

Jurisdiction of each Immigration office is one reason.

I would hazard a guess that they are fed up with how easy it is for some foreigners to appear to have 'no fixed abode' while trying to avail themselves of a more beneficial visa arrangement and the associated longer-term temporary residence.

I will be comeing to Thailand on 26 of February and will be staying 29 days in Thailand, most of the time I will be staying in Srisaket Province and 1. week in Pataya.

My question is :, will I be issued a month visa on the airport, and do I need to fill in some papers or report to any of Immigration offices in Thailand while staying or traveling. thanks for an answer :o

I will be comeing to Thailand on 26 of February and will be staying 29 days in Thailand, most of the time I will be staying in Srisaket Province and 1. week in Pataya.

My question is :, will I be issued a month visa on the airport, and do I need to fill in some papers or report to any of Immigration offices in Thailand while staying or traveling. thanks for an answer :o

You will be issued with a 30 stamp and will not have to visit an Immigration Office,

You will be issued with a 30 stamp and will not have to visit an Immigration Office,

Is it a 30-day stamp or 28-day stamp on arrival?

February is a short month so even with a 30-day stamp and depending on flight arrival and departure times, there could still be a 1-day overstay. Do they normally (still?) turn a blind eye to that?

Great, thak you kindly :D

Great, thak you kindly :D

Bear in mind that day one is the day you arrive so you should just sneak in with enough days.

Bear in mind that day one is the day you arrive so you should just sneak in with enough days.

sure, thanks I will be arriving on the 26 February and returning on the 24 of March . it is only 27 days

Thanks for warning.. :o

Following many problems during the last year or so with getting visa extensions processed at Jomtien Immigration, many long time xpat friends have been using the Bangkok immigration HQ to process their visa application and extension paperwork. Reports about BKK immigration admin have been very good, with processing and documentation requests exactly 'as published' and everything straight forward.

Tell me that what we are seeing here is simply the equivalent of a drug dealing 'turf war' - where an immigration office in a region where officials buy their jobs and routinely extract lucrative bribes to process applicants paperwork are trying to ensure that all punters 'on their turf' have to deal with them alone, and can't escape to the sanity of an alternative immigration center :o

I have been through 4 annual extensions for retirement reaons and have never paid a bribe. I think you are overstating things when you use the term 'routinely'...unless it applies to a single office somewhere in this Kingdom...but I doubt that it applies across the board.

I have never paid a bribe or in fact been asked, however at the local immigration office there is a gap under the counter and I have seen quite large amounts of money passed under it, I guess it was built for the job.

Anybody know the what the rationale is behind these changes ?

Jurisdiction of each Immigration office is one reason.

I suspect that the reason is that Immigration is still a paper-intensive function. There apparently is still no centralized database that Immigration maintains for foreigners coming in and out of the country. All records are maintained on paper at the single location where the foreigner obtained his or her visas and extensions or provided notifications. Therefore any further contacts with Immigration which require reference to the original documents, need to be done at the location where the documents are kept.

That seems like a rational explanation.

But as I only live 10 minutes away from the Sriracha office and 30 minutes away from the Pattaya office this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't feel bad. I'm in Issan, and it was about an hour and a quarter to Khon Kaen. Now it's going to be 3 hours to Chiang Kan - each way. And that doesn't include the flight to Bangkok to get the letter about my income. And my extension date is 4 January, when it's still really busy. Oh, joy oh, joy. :o

Does this affect tourists? I mean, if you're in the country on a tourist visa, presumably you don't "live" anywhere in the Kingdom at all. So surely you should be able to give the name of a hotel near the immigration office and use any office you please?

It does not affect tourists. Those on visa exempt entries, VOA's, non immigrant visas. tourist visas and etc. will not be tied to an office. They can go to the nearest office to where they are at when they need to do business with immigration.

It's primarily for those who are on long term extensions of stay.

What I cannot understand (perhaps I do understand) but it seems that the people who ring in all of these changes do not really want any foreigners in the country.

They want our money (what percentage of Thai families are totally funded by foreigners money?) but they keep changing the rules, moving the goal posts etc.

If the Thai immigration had a comprensive computerised system it wouldn't matter where you went to fulfill all the requirements "unless the main purpose of the exercise is to cause as much inconvenience to as many people as is humanly possible"

Edited by john b good

I was told a few weeks ago by my local immigration that this was coming in because there were a number of anomalies and illegal activity involving foreigners. They were working more closely with local police and a number of foreigners were under investigation. They are building up a local database of the whereabouts of all foreigners in their area - if you go to a local office for the first time you may be asked for a map, etc. of your place of residence.

There was also a lot of movement with immigration officers being transferred from one office to another.

English guy in the next Village [78 yrs old] he has always been to Pattaya for his Extensions. [he is not the only one as I know of 2 other that live 40 and 55 km north of BKK that go to Pattaya]

We live near Sai Noi which is 50km north west of BKK, will he have to change and now go to BKK ?

I just renewed my extension in BKK [always been to BKK every yr] the Immigration Officer goes to the back and get my file, so what happens to someone that has been for year to the same Immigration? all his paperwork will be at that office..

Will all the paperwork from people that have always gone to a out of area office have there paperwork sent to the correct office on 15th Feb ??

Many people I know both married and single are on 'Retirement' extensions many like me have a 800k 'Fixed Term Bank Deposit' which is used only for the yearly extension......... re money must show came from outside of Thailand, in my case xx million did so in 2003, the officer always looks over the past years so can see this money arrived from outside of Thailand..

So if you start going from 15th to a NEW Immigration Office where is the paperwork trail